Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Yeah well that's a lovely way to treat the travelling support, putting out a crap team like that. I'm fuming anyway, and I was watching it at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Obviously thinks league is more important than points in Europe.

Strange to get into the group stage, then put out a weakened team. It's like Rovers are disrespecting euro football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I told people to put their house on Shels beating Bohs in the cup. Don't know how many people listened. Shels gelling and getting better with every game. Coming for the cup. Reds rising again, this is just the start.

People think the future is between Rovers and Derry. We're coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The league is more important. No question.

Had the league not been so tight I suspect SB would have played a full strength team in all 6 group games, but with the league far from won & the opportunity the champions path brings it would be negligent to prioritise this group campaign over the league. The job for this year was done by achieving qualification for the groups. The intent is to build on that for next year by winning the league again, investing in the club with the prizemoney from this year and attempt to repeat the group qualification. It will only be by year on year exposure that any team from the league will grow to a point they can realistically match even the likes of Molde & Gent on the european stage. We are all currently looking up at them and that gap wont be bridged in a single season. They operate off multiples of our budgets and for that reason SB has hard decisions to make. Risk going all out, win a game or 2, win a few quid but lose the league and it will be a disaster. Anyone involved with the club will tell you that too.

Its ALL about the league from here on in.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Yeah, I have no problem at all with not fielding the full strength team for the away matches.

If we somehow win the two home matches, and have a chance to qualify going in to the last matchday with an away win, obviously go all out, but winning the league to get the Champions path is vital.

We need to get maximum points from Shels, Drogs, and Pats so that we go into the Derry match knowing that we have a cushion to win it against UCD if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I did think there’d be more accomplished names in the fray (although from the top of my head I’m not really figuring who those might be). Maybe even managers with experience in England.

I don’t know anything about Ryan to criticise him, but it does feel like a situation where if Long wasn’t the outgoing manager, he would be the clear number 1 candidate for the role.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

True but there's a big gap between Shams and the finances the other 3 in the group have behind them. Even consistent group stage ball won't lay a glove on them.

Sweden has a €50 million TV deal.

Norway just signed a 6 year deal worth €85 million a year.

Belgium has one worth over €100 million.

Gent, Djurgarden and Molde have guaranteed revenue for the next 5 or 6 years while Shams are hoping they can pip Derry to the title and they get a favourable draw in UCL Q1 just to keep the show on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

That's pretty much my point. The reality is that all of our clubs are way behind the leagues in which these clubs operate, and not just by small margins either, the gulf in finances is huge and it is unrealistic to expect teams in our league to take them on, on anything like an equal footing. That's why I can accept the bigger picture behind the strategy being employed re: europe, yes like any medium to long term plan/strategy it may all fall apart but at least its there and is an attempt at bridging what is clearly a substantial gap. Dundalk may have performed better & been more competitive & 'won the hearts & minds' of the public, but ultimately where has that left them? Where has the clubs long term future benefitted? That's the very trap Rovers are attempting to avoid. It may work, it may not, but at least they've identified a plan to try & exploit the situation they're in to their long term benefit & it cant really be judged over one or two seasons IMO.

FTR I'm as disappointed with the away performances as much as anyone, but I'm willing to see if its short term pain for long term gain.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

good knowledge, how did you come by that information?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City game delayed 10 mins, to allow the big crowds get in. Galway 1 up already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Predictably we're now drawing. A screamer from the Athlone lad in fairness. We've performed as poorly as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Bit of a sickener not making it to half time in the lead, but on the balance of play hard to argue that Dundalk didn’t deserve the equaliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Nothing sweeter than an injury time winner against our "beloved" ex manager. Forrester scored a cracker for our first. O'Kanes goal for Dundalk wasn't bad either in fairness but a fantastic three points for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

A different referee and pats winning goal scorer wouldn’t have been on the pitch, but that’s by the way, pats only team in it in the second half. The number 2 for pats was phenomenal, but the referee played his part too ( as only LOI referees can);

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That will do nicely!!

6035 in attendance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Drogheda now officially safe.

Great job from Kev, Daire and the lads. Hopefully, we might have a close season where we keep a few players.

Deserved champions. A proper manager here and ye would have had a challenge.

Are you talking about the “foul” where Robbie Benson threw himself down and the ref awarded a free ? Even the Dundalk commentator acknowledged that. Ok, so having given the free the ref might have shown a yellow, but it wasn’t a free, so....

We probably snuck those 3 points tbh, but we’ve played better against. Dundalk this year and got nothing, so swings and roundabouts. If only we’d managed to get more than a point from our previous 2 games, or indeed Dundalk hadn’t gotten their gift of 3 points, the table might have a very different look now. However, as the cliche goes, we are where we are. Could be a hell of a run in for third.

Well done to Cork. Looking forward to seeing them again in the league next season.

As for tonight, we didn't play well but an easy victory over Harps. They really are poor at the minute, especially compared to the visit earlier in the season. Like night and day.

Dream still alive!

• Advertisement

Happy to see Cork back up. We need the big regional teams/cities in the top divisions in my view. Cork, Waterford, Galway, Sligo, Limerick makes for a better balanced all round league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Out of interest what is the money being invested in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

How many of the current team do you think can do a job in the Premier division?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Seems like Ian Ryan has pulled a U turn and is no longer taking the Bohs job. Who do the bohs fans actually want to get it?

Based on social media alone it seemed as if they were unhappy for Ryan to get it but now unhappy he isn't getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Based on the first report of it, he pulled out because Bohs were dragging their heels. Wonder if that’s because they have someone else sorted or the fan reaction to Ryan spooked them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Ryaner is too good for be putting up with that underhand crap from the Lambert and the people's club

• Advertisement

He'd be very welcome in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

As a Wexford supporter, I'll be thrilled if reports are correct. The transformation at the club since he joined is nothing short of miraculous. Add in the fact that the cream of our squad will follow him like the pied piper, it's crucial he stays. He will have a far better managerial role some day shortly, but another season or two in Wexford and we will be well on our way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Glad to see Cork City back up and thriving. They're a good club, in all their guises throughout the years, with a good ground and great fans. Respect. 👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

A quick Google. I get a laugh out of the fact the Norwegian and Swedish leagues are able to get TV deals worth multiples of the SPLs TV deal and it drives the Scottish rags nuts.

Seems like the entire recruitment process has been a shambles. They started the week with Reynolds, Ryan, Dunne, O'Shea and Perth interested and end it with no one left! Dan McDonnell reporting that they offered it to Reynolds first, he looked to double job and stay on as Ireland U21 assistant but was told no so pulled out. They then went to their second choice Ryan, he'd have had to take a career break from teaching. The Bohs sub committee recommended him, the Bohs board hesitated and he walked! Hilariously they'd told the other candidates Ryan was their man so they've all walked away too so there's no one left to offer it to.

Bar going back to Reynolds and telling him he can double job and hope against hope he takes it their options are limited. Most likely will be Pender with someone with the badges like Croly fronting it for show.

Post edited by topmanamillion on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Some wind at Tallaght

• Advertisement

He’s one of our own, he’s one of our owwwn, Shane Farrell he’s one of our own.

Great finish to put shels 2-1 up.

Yeh he’s been so good this season with room for improvement.

Sick after that, very harsh way to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Brilliant finish to the Rovers Shels game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah I just caught up on that on the RTE 2 plus 1. Manky auld day great excitement the whole shebang. What sport is all about. Shels must be sickened though.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Shels pissed away points this evening handling Rovers an inevitable league title. Duff brought on two players Carr and O'Driscoll towards the end to supposedly to shore things up two players he clearly hasn't trusted all season and they both did literally nothing when they came on, the winning goal was a shocker to concede at this level inexcusable. Don't even bring on players off the bench that you don't trust next week for the semi-final

I’d say Derry are a bit sick after that too. Awful conditions for the game, so no surprise it wasn’t full of great play. Credit to Rovers I suppose, they kept going. Looked like Shels would hang on to the point, but Rovers had so much pressure in the last ten minutes. Aaron Greene missed two good chances as well.

We were muck for most of the match tonight, and Burke had the worst match I've ever seen him play. To go from a goal down with seven minutes and injury time to play, to winning the match is the mark of champions.

Makes 2 of us!!

To be fair, rovers had about 5 chances in the last 20min and scored 2. They could have had more. But still disappointed as a derry fan that Shels couldn't hang on. They were poor at holding possession and it was basically a shooty-in for most of 2nd half.

The Carr guy was awful. I guessed he was brought on to hold possession and get in the face of the Rovers defenders. He did neither.

That result nailed on Rovers as champions, and with the celebrations after, I think they knew that too.

Post edited by NIMAN on

The celebrations were because they know how important getting maximum points before the Derry match is.

Not a hope that Pats will be a pushover. They'll be delighted to try cost us the league.

Drogs have nothing to play for, so should be a win.

If we take six points from them, and then Derry win, we're going into an away match last game of the season against a team who could yet still have a chance to get the playoff spot rather than automatic relegation.

We 100% need to beat Pats and Drogs, and not lose to Derry, but with all the European matches between league games, the squad are tired. I wouldn't be surprised if the title race went to the last game, though I'll be delighted if we can win it at home again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers were poor for 80 minutes until they realised that they could cross the ball and it became hugely effective instead of passing it backwards around 25 yards away. The last ten minutes they had more than enough chances to win it.

But I don't see Rovers beating both Pats and Drogheda in their form..

Hope you’re right. We could do with something from Tallaght in the race for third. Would happily take a point now to be honest. Don’t see Rovers losing the title from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Carr was a disgrace and should never be picked again. The fastest he moved was to confront the referee after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hopefully it's the last we see of him - he's been absolutely pish all season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Ian Ryan has confirmed he is staying with Wexford FC for 2023. Brilliant news

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

You've just got to hand it to the gaa.

Louth gaa gave announced that the government (ie taxpayer) is contribute €14.8 million to their new stadium.

nice work (if you can get it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Did I hear on the radio that it's being funded by a very dodgy sounding cash for visas programme where wealth immigrants dosh up loads of money for an Irish passport?

Morally questionable and all as it sounds can't see why LOI clubs can't do something similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great opportunity missed already, really should be 1 up

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭RedCardKid

Amazing what is possible when a TD is chairman of the county board. Won't mention his very quiet transition from being a FG to independent TD after being plucked from no where by Enda when votes were needed. GAA in Louth are certainly very well looked after for all their success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rovers playing much better than the match in Norway anyway, have had some chances but 1-0 down. The Molde goal looked a mile offside from where I'm sitting anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement