Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I much preferred the simpler plan (Keep the pitch the way it is, refurbish the Jodi, knock and rebuild the other 3 stands) for the fact that it seemed far more likely to actually happen. This plan sounds great, but I'm way less optimistic it will happen (And certainly not for 40m).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

I would argue that the redevelopment should meet UEFA standards. Otherwise, not much use to Bohs if they have a good Euro run and there maybe difficulty in using it for under age international games and the likes.

I would argue that the additional cost would not be material in the overall cost.

Would certainly be very surprised if it all went to plan time wise.

However, best of luck to all involved.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

UEFA standards includes things like having a certain amount VIP parking etc. Not possible on the land available.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I know we all want to be positive and hope things push on but no way do I see this happening for 40 million in that time frame .

Just as a matter of interest and I’m not saying bohs should do this because Dalymount has great history and still imo the best atmosphere on a big night under lights , but how much would it cost in comparison for a green field site say out swords direction and a new stadium from scratch ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

This is a non runner for I would say the majority of members including myself. Dalymount is Bohs and Bohs in Dalymount. We already nearly ended up in a field in the middle of nowhere we don't want it to happen again. Look at the likes of Longford, there's zero around. Even with Tallaght, while Rover's have really connected with the community out there, around the ground there's not much, you can only get a drink in a hotel bar if you wanted to meet your friends early or hang around after.

Dalymount is a 15 minute walk to the city centre and you have numerous great pubs in the area for before and after games. Bohs in now ingrained in that community and to move outside it to try to tap into this mythical suburban thousands that would suddenly start wanting to attend football games and alienate the well established Phibsborough, Cabra, Ballymun core fanbase would be the death of the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

You can't build a stadium on the possibility it might be needed for a game every couple of years! An 8,000 capacity will be grand for Bohs 99% of the time. Also, Vilnius played Conference League group games in a 5000 seater this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

No I agree with that 100% and the location is what I believe makes bohs the most scaleable club in the country to be honest , along with Cork

But just cost wise , do you know what it would cost in comparison to the 40 million to build from scratch , even for Pats , Shelbourne etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Define scalable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

First Division playoff has been halted in Limerick due to the away stand and structural issues. Too many Waterford fans in it by the looks of it. Game is 10 minutes delayed so far. Waterford 1 up too, awful goalkeeping error letting in a Junior long range shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Surely Tallaght or Inchicore was a better bet for the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Sections of that stand were cordoned off last week when Waterford were away at Treaty as the steps had collapsed. An absolutely disgraceful decision to hold it there and someone could have been seriously injured.

Galway the better side but 2-0 down at ht due to two defensive howlers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Any chance of another midweek managerial sacking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

While the stand in Limerick wasn't safe tonight, fair play to whoever looks after the pitch there - in fantastic condition after all that rain.

Galway have a couple of quality players, and you'd expect them to be pushing hard for promotion again next year with the money they have behind them.

Hopefully the fixture against UCD won't be in another 'neutral' Dublin venue again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Will Caulfield get another crack at it next season? I think I've watched Galway 3 times this season and I didn't enjoy it any of those times. Just typical Caulfield football which fans will only accept when you're winning, which they aren't doing. They've been crap the past few months only winning 2 matches since July.

Lots of us don't want him back. The fans turned on him after the 3rd goal tonight. As you said we've been an awful watch all season bar a cupla games of cupla 45 minutes. And we've been in terrible form for months.

Ironically we weren't actually bad tonight, two shocking defensive mistakes, a missed pen, woodwork and one cleared off the line. We didn't deserve to go up though and Waterford deserve their crack at it given how they've finished the season.

As a neutral, I enjoyed the game. It certainly had plenty of incident!

I actually thought Galway were a slightly better side save their awful defending.

Both sides were very open. I fancy UCD to do a number on Waterford, they are on a good run and will be underdogs.

I felt sorry for Galway, it just wasn't going to be their night.

Ya you had the feeling it wasn't our night as soon as the first went in via a mistake. It's just peak GUFC really. We deal with year in year out. If JC stays in the job the crowds will drop next season. Our average for the season was 2999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

It was an entertaining match alright but Galway didn't take any of their chances while Waterford benefited from bad errors for their first two goals and were clinical on the counter attack with their third. Interesting final in Richmond next Friday. Waterford gave up plenty of chances from set pieces tonight but UCD aren't usually a side who threaten from corners. You'd feel that Patterson and Junior might be too much for the UCD backline to deal with but Waterford's backline has been shaky enough in matches and UCD do have Lonergan who has improved a fair bit towards the backend of the season. Could be lots of goals next Friday.

Thankfully that stand didn't fall apart when there was people in it. I wonder why the LEDP have let that stand get into such a dreadful state and questions too as to why the FAI didn't check the condition of the stands before scheduling the match there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Was there a big pickup mid-season? The Extratime website had the 2022 average at 1,915 at end April, slightly above Waterford at 1,900.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Full agree, and it would have seemed more likely to happen.

Seems like we're back to square one with this.

On the plus side, Talbot has re-signed.

Haha I gave us a very generous typo attendance there. 1999 average for the season, over 4k for the Cork game in July, over 3k for yourselves on the opening day, over 3k for Cork and Longford in Sept and Oct then. The 1k v Longford in the last home game brought it down below the 2k, there was nothing to play for and people had suffered the woeful results against Athlone and Cobh prior to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

Maybe I didn't phrase it properly. IMO it should be a stadium that would meet group stage standard, like Tallaght. Whatever the minimum is with the provision to upgrade as needed. Do it once, do it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I'd agree with the sentiment but some of the UEFA standards simply aren't achieve -able/cost effective on an inner city site like Dalymount.

A 4-6000 all seater modern ground with some terracing is ideal for all LOI sides. If the league had 10 of those, it'd be an infinitely better league than what we have now.

Talk of Dalymount being redeveloped/sold/new stadium built else where has been going on for at least 20 years now. A bit like Harps' stadium it's time to just build it and stop releasing aspirational plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'd agree tbh with regards the UEFA standards. Even far bigger football nations such as Austria have had clubs move their home matches in the group stages. Ideally you'd want around 6 category 4 standard grounds around in Ireland strategically placed to cover as many clubs as possible. So say Tallaght, Turners Cross, Brandywell, Sligo Showgrounds, Athlone and Waterford as category 4. I'm assuming that Thomond Park is category 4 so that'd cover Limerick and Galway also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Crybaby article from Eddie Mahon in the Derry Journal.

He thinks Rovers have an unfair advantage because other clubs outside of Dublin were in the first division and the FAI should do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Interesting article, I'd agree with some of it but lots of Dublin clubs gone bust too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ad a Derry fan, I found the article laughable. Eddie seems to be going daft in his old age.

He says Rovers having to stay in and around Dublin and play a lot of their matches there is a bonus for them as they'll have less travel and hotel costs. He neglects to say that many of those matches are extremely competitive and tough for Rovers due to them being derby games. Games against Bohs, Shels, St Pats are never easy for Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Calling Dundalk a home game for Rovers while still counting Harps as an away game for Derry is a bit of a stretch too...

Chartering flights for European matches isn't cheap either.

Eddie Mahon neglects the advantage that Derry have by their owber being a multi multi millionaire.

As a supporter of a team (Drogheda) whose budget is roughly 10% of Derry's, does Eddie propose that we allow a handicap for that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

First thing is Derry need to improve against Rovers. Last week was a comfortable enough win in the circumstances.

Derry playing McEleney Duffy Kavanagh Diallo et al, they created surprisingly little in the games between them. Maher wasn't great, twice palming out crucial goals and one win in four league games (and ET against ten men in the Cup) from a very very late backpass and penalty.

In the run in, considering the firepower available and a 7-0 UCD win boost, the Goal Difference and 1-0 wins catch up on you. Also given their record in Dublin, they should want to be playing there every week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

He seems to think all clubs have an equal income and that travel costs are the only factor in determining success or failure, nothing else. Cork can get 5000 fans at home games and win leagues and cups when times are good, but seemingly travel costs will inevitably drive them to bankruptcy....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If only there was a league closer to Derry they could join.

You'd think RTÉ would show the Derry vs Dundalk match today, but no, last day of the league season and they don't give a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

How would they market it? There’s literally nothing at stake. I like LOI but I won’t be watching any matches today I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Exactly, the article was amusing because the fella writing it is clearly arguing with political undertones, rather than sporting ones.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Rare to agree with a derry man but I whole heartedly agree with this new Outlook on how national leagues work. Given Longford will be our Derby game next year, they should just give harps the first division trophy now and save everyone the money. Diverting all of next years budget to the stadium fund should get it built at last too. Its win win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

To be fair to RTE they've already shown a game today and this round of games was meant to take place on Friday.

If you really want to see the Derry game at least there's LOITV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Just like Corks advantage is playing under a new name every 3 years

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

That’s it for another year. 3rd (only missed 2nd on goal difference). Would have jumped at that at the start of the season.

‘Rested’ a lot of regulars tonight but it was great to see Hoban return- first time since August.

Shells playing it smart tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Was that officially Gartlans last game for de Town ??

Believe me, its no advantage.

We play worse on it. Our away games show us how we can play (except Dundalk of course).

It's common knowledge around the town that most of the players don't like it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Derry only took 2 points against Dundalk - both in Oriel.

id say that was Garts last game. And mcmillans. And Cherrie. Maybe Boyle’s too .who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Nice comfy win for Pats. If only Eoin Doyle had been able to finish like that when it really counted. Great to see Ian Birmingham get a second half run out for his final game. Feel he’s been hard done by this season, but it’s done now. He got a great reception, and I’m delighted he’s staying involved with the club.

On a side note, over 4,600 for a game with nothing riding on it for either team. I reckon pre pandemic you’d have been looking at circa 1,500 for such a game. Great to see, and long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I run a football league in Abu Dhabi and some random Bob Marley look-a-like had the Bohs jersey on when watching his son play

He hadn't a clue about the club 😂 But it gave the Rovers fan sitting down watching his grandkids a chance to throw out some light hearted abuse

Thanks to Bohs for a random conversation starter

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement