Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think it was for his own benefit he was let go, he needed to play more first team football to develop. He had been behind Leahy and then Breslin. I think we're getting back a better player than the one that left.

There's been a couple like that over the years, Ryan Graydon being another example, probably wasn't quite ready and was let go but is flying now, maybe Moylan to a lesser extent, he certainly wasn't going to get in ahead of Devoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Spot on about Tunde I think. He can be very effective if given balls to chase or run on to. Not so much when you have a lot of possession. Surprised to hear McCormack and Lennon supposedly moving, particularly Lennon. He mostly played when he was fit, and I don’t see him moving higher up the league. Ben McCormack might want to go elsewhere to get more games, but again, he won’t be getting offers from teams better placed than Pats.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone got a spare programme from the Cup Final they'd sell?

We managed to go into the ground very early and none of the programme boxes were opened, assumed we'd see them for sale during game but alas no.

Young lad looking for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ian Ryan to bray, that's a positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

My local GAA club were selling them on the day - I'll see if any were left in the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I presume all licences are being awarded this afternoon, but Kerry will be the main focus:

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/sport/soccer/fais-decision-on-kerry-fcs-league-of-ireland-application-imminent-42146614.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Kerry given a licence. Brilliant to see the league spread around the country . Really hope the Kerry public gets behind the team . All started from putting teams in underage leagues so hopefully the likes of Mayo , Kildare etc can eventually follow in their footsteps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Congrats to Kerry FC, think Billy Dennehy involved with them.Away games in the Kingdom to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

As a kerry man I'm delighted, hopefully the county can get behind them. An added plus is it looks like the jersey is going to be green and white stripes so I can get one and wear it to a betis game over here ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great news..more teams better especially in west and south

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They should make a fine addition to the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Welcome aboard Kerry. A nice away trip next year to look forward to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Well they've every chance of success given that Mounthawk Park looks to be within walking distance of residential areas.

From any photos I can find it looks like just one small stand, so hopefully that doesn't hold them back, as a stable team in Kerry will only be a good thing for the league.

Will be interesting to see what the public reaction is to the Kerry team. In my mind it’s firmly GAA territory, but we’ll see. Would be good to see it take off.

You'd be surprised at the number of towns and villages around the county that have soccer teams in the KDL, from Tarbert to Castlegregory and Kenmare, just to give some geographic range. The Kerry "brand" will be important to maintain support from across the county, and having three other Munster clubs in the division should also help, even if points might be scarce in the first season.

Looks like Cork City plan to sell up to Dermot Usher from Kildare - regrettable that they would no longer be supporter-owned, but it remains to be seen how he might involve FORAS:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-41008763.html

Do you think FORAS members would vote for a 51/49 split with FORAS being the majority?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I was thinking it might be a no vote alright. Unless it’s a ridiculously good offer it would defeat the purpose for why you guys took over the club in the first place.

Ie. Do you lads know enough about this person to be certain that he’s different to the guys who put you in this situation in the first place? Taking over the club was meant to keep you away from that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Would be sad to see another club fall out of the hands of the fans into an individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Cork selling the family silverware again. Anybody know why Dundalk and Bray turned this guy down when he tried to get involved there?

Strange alright. Although I'm guessing that it'll be pitched as being the only way Cork are getting back into Europe inside the next 5 years. Long-term mid-table mediocrity doesn't seem to be an option down there. Sadly, they'd rather bury the club than be that.

Fair enough, I'd completely agree with you. Selling to a guy who has been turned down by at least 2 LOI clubs already has pretty obvious pitfalls. The Cork board seem to have been trying to flog the club for at least the past 12 months. It's a well supported club when the bandwagon is rolling but when it's at this point where you'd be looking at years of rebuilding, supporters just want to sell and run.

The fact Usher has tried a few LOI clubs and has no connection to any of them makes me think he wants to play football owner for a while and wouldn't be overly committed. A bit like the Creche owner that owned Waterford for a few months last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk spent the best part of 2 years just trying to be stable again after the departure of Peak6. Drogheda appear to be looking for investors but they are doing ‘due diligence’. Dundalk and Rovers looking for new sponsors for next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Chris Lyons gone from Drogheda.

He's a great fella and will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Rovers season tickets sale off to a good start, over a 1000 sold in the first day

https://twitter.com/ShamrockRovers/status/1593252972036648961

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Conor Kearns has left us and is going to Shels apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

He’s confirmed signed. How was he for Galway?

He was very solid in the 2021 season. Very reliable and a good shot stopper.

The season gone he wasn't at the same level. Awful mistake for Waterford's opener in the playoffs which just killed us. Other poor mistakes against Cobh midway through the season. He was poor at commanding his 6 yard box this season for some reason.

On his day he's a good, solid keeper but this season he had a few too many off days for my liking. I've no fear we can replace him with someone as good.

• Advertisement

Manager of the year - Bradley

Player of the year - Gaffney

Young player of the year - Lyons

Hard to argue against any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Feck that, Clarke was very solid and reliable in defence. Having a poor keeper for first few games last season for shels.

10 years ago today, Dundalk appointed Stephen Kenny as manager.

I accept he's signed as cover but Dundalk could look for a younger 2nd keeper than Cherrie.

I assume that should be re-signed?

• Advertisement

That the fai rallied round Delaney is no different than FIFA rallying around Blatter (the latter on a bigger scale). Did I hear him say North Korea should get A World Cup or was I dreaming?

Anyone see the somewhat ridiculous Saipan doc on RTE last night ? ( Seemingly in an alternative universe we lost the final in 2002 on penalties to Brazil after a 1-1 draw - with Roy Keane missing the crucial penalty. So now we know what would have happened if Keane had stayed 🙄)

Anyway, I digress. Great clip on it of Dunphy saying to Delaney “ I know you’re a good guy John, you’re one of the reformers” Ha !

Danny Lafferty out of Derry to Sligo. He was a bit part player for us to be fair.

I actually got to chat to Delaney at the Irish team hotel in Japan in 2002. I know some of what’s happens since but back then he certainly seemed reasonably level headed.

I asked him what it was like to have to speak to the world about Keane’s departure. He said it wasn’t as stressful as his child (or children being born) or something like that. Left a decent impression even if I only spoke to him a few minutes.

Goes to show, never judge a book by its cover.

Also, the Japan win today brought back memories. Myself and my now wife were in Japan for Germany and Saudi games. I will never forget the fun before the German game outside the stadium and then the Robbie Keane goal, OMG. There was glorious chaos.

But the Japanese people were absolutely the friendliest bunch of people I think I ever met. They couldn’t do enough for you and there was great national pride at having the WC. So we enjoyed seeing Japan beat Ze Germans earlier.

Lads like Delaney don't get into, or hold onto power by being a dipso, you have to be at least on the outside very personable.

• Advertisement

. ... wrong thread

Stephen Henderson appointed as LTFC manager.

Personable yes, Dipso perhaps not so much a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Delaneys put on a shed load of weight.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

Gary Cronian confirmed as bohs assistant manager

That must have been his personal reason for quitting at Longford. Not that I minded. He is a very nice guy but too nice for management

Tommy Lonergan back to Pats from UCD. Good signing. Dundalk were allegedly after him too.

We've signed Brendan Clarke to replace Kearns as our first choice keeper for next season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement