Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Drogheda midfielder made his international debut for the Turkey u18 team today.

He's a local lad whose Dad is turkish. Signed a two year deal recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Just thinking with UCD staying up how are they unable to market the team even a little bit better to the thousands of students on the doorstep? Around 30k students

Is there a reason they don’t play their games on a Wednesday or Thursday evening? Have the fai turned down a request for this ? Surely an exception could / should be made for a college side if that’s the case . I don’t understand how a small bit of promotion or marketing and a free burger / pint in the student bar with a match ticket or something couldn’t boost numbers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

The handful of UCD fans out there will tell you that all that stuff has been tried before and hasn't worked.

To be fair to the target audience for your promotional ideas a "free" pint or burger wouldn't get me to a game either so don't know why people think it would work.

Reality is the pint or burger isn't free, it's included in the price of the ticket and people could probably get a pint or burger for less if they wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

David McMillan leaves Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

2 or 3 seasons ago Cabinteely had an offer for a free pint and burger with a €5 ticket for a game. An unbelievable deal and you'd have thought a few extra might wander in. There was no increase in their gate. As Howiya alluded to a plastic cup pint and a chipvan burger isn't going to bring out the numbers.

Playing on a Wednesday or Thursday would clash with UEFA competitions. Would cause a serious problem for part-timers/amateur players. The rationale would also be questionable as a large portion of the season is played during College breaks (Summer, Easter and Halloween)

People studying in UCD have no affinity to the college itself never mind an obscure LOI team playing on a pitch somewhere on campus. Studying in UCD is a means to an end and most go home at the weekend or sooner if they can manage it. There's no community there or alumni like you'd see in America. Alot are living off campus or even outside of Dublin county so it's not the captive audience some would like to believe it is. Even if they were interested in going along to matches it could involve a lengthy commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Didn't UCD do the free pint thing before and students were showing up for the pint and leaving before the match started!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Summer football ended whatever possibility of UCD pulling in a regular fanbase from the campus as there is not many students around in the middle of the season for 4 months between May to September

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

UCD don't need a regular fan base, I certainly wouldn't change the scheduling of the league to pander too them. The reality is a proper professional league wouldn't have a college team in it. Certainly not in it's premier division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

As far as I know they have increased their links to Mount Merrion FC. They used to sponsor the teams but now they are their feeder club for the underage national leagues. There was way more kids at the last UCD match against rovers than I have ever seen in belfield before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Legend. Not really surprised though. Could still be useful in the 1st division. Surprised Cherrie was signed though.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/mcmillan-departs/

They've just signed Chris Lyons but you never know.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

I just ordered one yesterday. A big improvement on last years home top. Well done O'Neills. Wish they were doing the new Ireland tops as well but not to be it seems.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Hopefully the quality and fit is better than last years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Our second new signing, Rob Slevin formerly of Harps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Ethan Boyle signs for Wexford FC. Dream signing down here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

And Webster to bray... next year could be longer than this one

Rumours ollie will be no2 at Galway

Might have our new manager announced this week

Ya we've unfortunately heard the Ollie rumours too. What's Slevin like?

On a separate note. Do you or anyone else know what Bohemians will do ground wise when construction finally gets under way at Dalymount? It looks now like that 2023 season could be the last full season before the demolition and building of the new ground begins.

The original plan was to move to Tolka, assume that stays the same.

• Advertisement

Both tbh are some of the few players who came out of last year with their heads up. Always put in a shift at least but also everything was bad last year so hard to give a glowing reference. Think Slevin will do well in the first division, would have rathered hold onto him

Because of his description as a versatile player I expect JC will just have him between both positions which won't let him settle or nail one down and thus he'll be another signing woefully used. Brouder is our starting left footed CB so unless we're going with 3 at the back again then he won't displace him starting off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Akintunde leaves Derry, as Whelan arrives.

He was a good solid player, but just not at that level we need if we want to push Rovers.

Ahh yes I forgot about that. Probably that is still the plan. If the timeline holds then that would mean playing at Tolka for likely all of the 2024 and 2025 seasons before being able to return to Dalymount in 2026.

That would be a very risky move. A real possibility they could spend a decade or more playing in Tolka while the Dalymount site lays in rubble. It's the main reason they should have went with the option where the Jodi is redeveloped and the rest is built around it. There'll 100% be planning objections to this from the shopping centre and local residents so I really can't understand why they're going all in when every LOI stadium development in this country has been delayed and taken decades (see Tallaght planned in 1996 opened in 2009 and Harps planning granted in 2007 still to be built) and they were both green field sites not in the inner city!

Sadly you may well be right about things being delayed. Obviously I am biased and want to see this happen but the points you make in regards to delays elsewhere are very valid. All I can do is hope this works out and the current plans for Dalymounts redevelopment go ahead pretty much as scheduled. It would be great for the league as well of course as Bohemians if they did/do. So I am keeping my fingers crossed things go well in 2023 in regards to planning permission and that work starts in 2024.

We've now signed Darren Clarke from Longford, he was good against us in the playoffs but sure it's JC so we'll probably play him in goal!

Things might be delayed but I know there is widespread support in the area outside of fan of the club for the redevelopment. Obviously there'll be the usual nutjob objections, but its not like there is a change of use of the site.

Didn't Tesco object pretty much immediately after JD and the FAI announced it? Something about their delivery way being obstructed. There'll also be a hell of a lot of heavy machinery moving in the area for a long time. I always like to see LOI infrastructure improving but unfortunately I'd be amazed if there's much movement on this inside the next 5 years.

Yes your right about Tesco but that was to the original plan not this new version. Again sadly you may well be right but I am hopeful putting my bias aside that this will go ahead something close to on schedule with the new plans. It would be great for the club of course but also great for the league and a boost for the local community as well.

• Advertisement

Tesco will object to anything and everything all around the country. They are serial litigants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

He was signed on the 1st of September. Between then and the end of the season on November 6th Rovers played 17 games. Short term contract with an unattached player to cover if needed with injuries and suspensions. Made perfect sense I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Liam Burt signed and Alan Mannus re-signed, good days work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

A virtue signalling signing if I ever saw one!

James Akintunde signs for Bohs.

Wish him all the best, except when playing us of course.

His goalscoring record is uninspiring, not sure he's better than we've got (which isn't much). Just noted the other day that Junior had his league top goal scoring season under Devine so hopefully he can recapture that form.

Dean Williams signs for Bohs.

We (Drogheda) will need a miracle to stay up next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Interesting appointment by Harps. Hopefully it works out for them. I think Rogers has been in for a few LOI jobs over the past few years (Sligo, Dundalk).

Full time 4 year deal apparently, so it's quite a commitment from the club.

• Advertisement

Yeah he holds the ball up well, and gives 100%, but a prolific goalscorer he ain't.

As for Junior, he's been floating around the league now for a few years and not doing much. That year he won the golden boot with us, he only got 14 iirc, and 3 of those were in the final game. It was a poor year for goalscorers.

Rogers has been around the league and knows his stuff. A good signing by Harps on the face of it.

Probably what it took to get him to leave the Forrest job. It's a gamble but one worth taking because he knows the league and has a lot of coaching experience abroad. They needed something to give them the edge over 2 fulltime outfits. A decent coach gives them that edge over Galway at least. The fact they left Horgan in the job to get promoted and relegated a few times shows they'll give it time. The expectation will be a good crack at the playoffs and they should be able to manage that.

In fairness horgan lost his job going down last year, the other time was when the league was cut from 12 to 10 teams and we were much more competitive that season. Only year under him we weren't promoted or in the Premier was his first season (and there was a cup semi that season)

Think it's a good appointment, the academy players haven't really come through despite some success at that level so he may help get that link right. I imagine there is still break points in the contract rather than it being 4 years but everyone realises there is a rebuild job to be done. It was pretty bleak in the years pre horgan. I'd still be looking for us to finish in the playoff spots but I'd be pleasantly surprised if we are competing with galway/waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Yeah it would have been if he'd have signed for Bohs.

I didn't rate him at all: he wasn't bad, but he wasn't good at all.

Another legend calls it a day. Brian Gartland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Great player. That leg break did him in unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Karl Chambers and Aaron Robinson have left Longford for Wexford FC.

Chambers is a great workhorse . Always gave 100 percent in many different positions and will be missed by the fans.

Robinson always gave it his all too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FORAS have Ushered in a new owner by 86%.

Should be interesting. He's putting in €850k for the season coming. Makes top 4 the minimum expectation for this season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement