Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great result for us in Tallaght, without playing well. Rovers were very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Any Pats Fans out there with an explanation for 2nites result??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

He did actually in fairness. It was funny, fair play to him for doing it. Did look up far too often to see a pass song thr halfway line though

I was annoyed that we settled for a 1 nil result at Pats, only to concede a late equaliser, and tonight's result for them makes me even more angry that we didn't take all 3pts. I hate the tactic of sitting on 1 nil leads .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Great win for us down in Waterford. 3 wins from 3, 1 goal conceded and 5 points clear of Waterford after 3 games.

We were far the better team first half and could have had a second. An awful game second half but Clarke only had one save of note to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Where is ferizaj?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Was that in the 2nd half After some bohs fans jumped the fence and got into the Tolka stand? I was there with my son as a bunch of morons started a fight with shels fans.

And yes, then there were morons on both sides.

last years first game there was shels and bohs fans mixed at that end (I was down that end for the game) and there was no trouble, so shels fans being there is no excuse for a brawl starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Drogs fully deserved their win tonight. We were shocking. Being so dependent on Greg Bolger to start in midfield in 2023 is appalling. As was the case last season, the midfield gets completely overran without him in it.

Didn't see that result at Oriel coming. Monday at the showgrounds should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Like the good old day. We're back to routinely beating Bohs. As it should be!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That was f*cking wonderful

That was f*cking wonderful

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

No it was right in the middle of the Riverside Stand. Didn't see anyone jump the fence and I was down that end.

It's a pity because there's never any trouble. Always a good mix of Bohs and Shels fans in the pubs before and after the game.

Social media and cocaine has a lot to answer to.

Genuinely not trying to be obtuse here (I mean we get the 3 points either way), but he lashes out and hits him in the back of the head there, no?

Yeh, I was in the riverside stand. I heard several fans (walking by) saying few bohs fans jumped the fence. Then the shels fans seemed to be just going mad for awhile. Was about to move and things eventually settled down.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The shels player smashes into the back of him? He'd need eyes on the back of his head to anticipate that to "lash out".

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Drogheda in a european spot.

Can we stop the league now??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Defo no one jumped the fence from the Bohs end anyway. Whether there was any Bohs fans over there anyway I don't know but it was right in the middle of the "hardcore" Shels fans so I find it very unlikely that they were able to get that far in.

• Advertisement

There's no way it's a red. He's running to get the ball then gets hit by a Shels player from behind.

I can only assume the ref made the terrible assumption that the player was going after the defender because he wasn't happy with the challenge, but it looks pretty clear that he was running to grab the ball.

Genuinely not trying to be smart about it; but I’m seeing the movement of his right arm there very different to you.

Having seen Connolly at Shels for a year too and knowing that he is exactly the type, probably influences my thinking on it too, rightly or wrongly.

To me it looks like a natural reaction to someone barging you in the back. Even if he did "lash out" it's harmless and not a red. Those kind of pushes happen ten times a match.

Unfortunately it's not surprising, as the league improves, the standard of officiating is going backwards.

A bunch of lads were dragged out on front of me, didn’t look like shels fans but maybe they were. Then there was a couple of shels fans definitely dragged out, the difference looked like there was other shels fans pleading their case.

Ive recorded footage before kick off where it looks like bohs fans were the aggressors but Regardless I don’t like that sh*t at games. There’s thugs on both sides not welcome as far as I’m concerned.

I was at the game and yours is a very fair assessment.

That said, Sligo has two great chances particularly the one straight at our keeper.

Mind you, Freddie Draper, who looks a player, missed a sitter.

As an outsider, is it unfair to say that Sligo haven't really improved that much since Liam Buckley left?

Eh you can’t hit someone in the back of the head and not get sent off. He either didn’t mean it and it’s an unfair red, or he meant it and it’s a clear red imo.

Id be of the opinion that the way he hits him with his right arm is not a natural reaction from getting barged from behind, but suspect we’re probably not going to agree on this, so won’t waste too much time with back and forth of the same point.

• Advertisement

Looks like he pushed his back not his head from that video.

Caption from inpho is: "Bohs' fans are spotted by Shelbourne supporters in the home stand ahead of the game"

Pretty grim, looks like two kids minding their own business.

Have absolutely no background to that photo, but how would the Shels fans know they were Bohs fans if they were just minding their own business? Doesn’t add up really.

Shels should really be sitting joint second in the league, only for those missed howlers in the first game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

That is **** embarrassing , what looks like a grown man having a go at kids . Is it any wonder it’s difficult to get more women and girls through the gates when you have pond life like that abusing people in the stands

• Advertisement

Ok, but it’s hard to understand how they could have been minding their own business and still be identified as Bohs fans.

Rightly or wrongly, there aren’t too many football grounds out there that you can go into the home end in and start vocally supporting the away team.

Probably everything that moved was a Bohs fan in those lads eyes, they look manic.

It has been very similar to the Bucko years. The midfield was a massive weak link last season and it was the biggest concern going into the winter. The only CM brought in was Browning who I haven't been impressed by. The other midfield options are Bolger, Cawley and Morahan. Again. The latter two simply aren't good enough and haven't been for ages. Bolger can still play and always has the players around him organised and functioning as a unit, but you can't rely on him for 34 games these days. When he's out we are usually rotten like we were tonight.

Honestly, I think you’re getting a hysterical at this point. If Shels fans manage to get tickets in the home end in Dalymount and are vocal (you’d have to be to be identified as an away fan), people are going to react to it. Others won’t (personally I don’t really care that much as long as it doesn’t get violent), and that’s just the way of things everywhere. Not a Shels thing, not a Bohs thing, just a weird tribal football thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

It's still fcuking stupid though. I go to lots of hurling matches and fans of both sides are able to sit beside each other without punching the heads off each other

There's often Shels fans in the Bohs end, maybe not in recent years due to sell outs but back when A/B was away fans you'd have fans from every teams wearing colours even in the bars (except Rovers). Even last season Brian Gartland was standing in the middle of the Bohs fans in A in the Jodi with his Dundalk tracksuit on and not a bother.

In that section of the main stand in Tolka beside the Ballybough end all last seasons matches there was Bohs fans, wearing colours and not a bother.

There was a big social media thing before this game for some reason about Bohs fans being in the home end and when I went into the ground about 15-20 minutes before kick off, there was a group of Shels fans standing in that part of the stand where they were never before. I actually commented to the lads I was with that something was going on there and low behold it kicked off.

Any word on Coyle’s injury? Looked like a pulled hammy, he already had some sort of patch support on it during the game so might of been a risk to play him.

Not disagreeing with you. I’ll never understand why anyone would ever go anywhere with the intention of having a row.

Segregation is necessary though, because it unfortunately will happen. Shouldn’t be, but defo is, based on my experience.

Totally in numerous ways.

Asides from the obvious how are there always so many people getting up during game so frequently ? In GAA games you get up at HT and generally there’s little movement in between the game. At Shels games (certainly on the riverside) there are people up and down like fiddlers elbows throughout the game!!

• Advertisement

Can you imagine a world where League of Ireland fans don't have to be segregated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Any thoughts on the Rovers Derry game last night? Reading that other Rovers fans were mainly unimpressed with Derry and felt that Rovers should have won - that seems to be the general consensus over on the group chat.

I probably thought the opposite. Thought Derry took their chances well, defended very well limiting us to half chances more than anything clearcut and once they went 2-1 up they looked like they were going to win the game. Rovers had plenty of the ball second half but didn't do a whole lot with it. Derry brilliant at pressing and cutting off a lot of the passing options.

It was a good game and decent performance from Rovers, not panicking yet and think we will still win the league. But credit where its due to Derry.

Anyone? Probably One of the two hottest prospects in the league and one it’s radio silence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

No idea. I think he played in one or two pre-season friendlies but was also on trial/training with Spurs during that period (maybe elsewhere too). I saw on twitter that he was in the Rovers u19s squad last weekend.

As a derry fan, I thought we didn't play well in an attacking and possession sense. We looked blunt and hit too many long balls. But we did defend well and work hard, and that helped win the game.

And for a team that's without some major players and starters in Duffy, Dummigan, McJannett and O'Reilly, I could maybe understand our tactics. We did what we had to do to get a result.

As for Rovers, I thought they were disappointing. Yes they were missing their main defenders, but their midfielders and forwards didn't perform. They didn't really trouble us that much. I think a draw might have been a fair result as they did have a couple of good chances, but don't think they were the better team.

Yeah he might be just surplus to requirements right now as they have a full complement in midfield. A little bit disappointing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Derry had 2 chances and took them, fair play but they were overrun for long periods. Clarke and Farugia in particular got into great positions but the final ball was often bad. Derry must have been delighted to see Rory Gaffney on the bench who would have worked the Derry defence much more than John Kenny.

In games like this, especially when you’re missing your regular defence you should play your best team. Doubt anyone thinks Kenny is better than Gaffney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers should've been 3-1 in front at half time, Derry were under a lot of pressure. Given the mixing around and about eight first eleven players out, it was a lot closer than it should've been. Second half was poor enough and very very long. Generally Derry were worse than last season and won.

Problem for Rovers is Farrugia is wasted on the right, Burke was ineffective after being booked and if you throw away leads away, there is very little room for error at home.

• Advertisement

It could be a clause in Kenny's loan agreement with Rovers that he gets a certain amount of minutes or starts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement