Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No, there wasn’t really a time where I thought you were actually favourites last year. Obviously that whole conversation is entirely opinion based etc. But I see it differently this year to last.

Id have given Rovers the edge at the start of the season, but 7 points is enough for me to say the edge has shifted a bit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd just like to mention that Derry are absolutely not ahead of the pack. There's only one team ahead of the pack.

Yes of course you're right, Decky has Bohs flying.

I was just replying to the comment that Derry had a point gap to Rovers, but wanted to highlight that we also had such a start last season yet finished well off the pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Some newer Rovers fans have been spoiled with the recent success and can't figure out how we're not winning every game.

Older fans like myself (over 50 years supporting) who have seen all the ups and downs view recent times as a golden era and current results as a blip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭PGE1970

45 years for me.

I was in Milltown the night we (Drogheda) first qualified for Europe.

Played Spurs the following September with Tony Galvin, Hoddle, Hughton etc.

Saw the great Rovers team with Neville, Keely, Karkin, Steedman, Coady etc. And saw KRAM and Rovers play Drogheda in the RDS, Tolka and the Morton Stadium.

And I saw us win one league and one cup in 45 years.

So it was worth it!

Do I misremember but did Rovers in the first of the four in a row win 7 nil up in United park? Liam Buckley and Alan Campbell at their best

It's taken me 40 years to forget that but you could be right!

We won 1-0 in Milltown in 82 to qualify for the UEFA Cup though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

That was the day Drogheda came out parading the league cup they'd won the season before to great cheers from the home support, and then got absolutely tonked. That was one of my first games outside of Dublin and can still remember it could have been twice that score and it wuldn't have done the game justice it was that one sided. Still the biggest win i've ever seen Rovers get away from home.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Was that the time ye drew Spurs & got beat 12 or 13-0 on aggregate?

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

That was the one.

It was a shocking rainy day in Drogheda and the game was played in the afternoon as we had no floodlights.

The bonus was that I got the afternoon off school!

"Highlights" here:

Just in from United Park. Gutted.

We were the better team, Markey misses a sitter and then we miss a pen. Rip roaring game but lacking quality on both sides.

Dundalk had one chance and, in fairness, it was a superb finish.

There was a bad clash of heads at the end and our 18 year old striker, Freddie Draper, left the field on a stretcher. While he was being treated, the Dundalk fans chanted "You're all very quiet over there". Classy.

That's the worst Dundalk side that I've seen in a decade. They were poor.

But they got three points so I doubt they care what I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

It was dire.I thought that I was watching a game of who can kick the furthest/longest in the first half ( didn’t help that the pitch is tight) 2nd half slightly better.drogheda were the better team (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

i know there is a maximum and a minimum of pitch sizes but the pitch in drogheda seems very tight. Tallagh looks big (as dos Derry’s pitch.)Oriel looks narrow ( to me anyway) Finn Park looks wide. I’ve no doubt that they’re all legally sized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Rovers are very wasteful again, only a goal ahead

equalizer (again.. unbelievable) and rovers drop more points

Genuinely believe the chance for 4 in a row is gone. Somethings just not right, so wasteful up front & devoid of confidence at the back, 6 games in, no wins and away at Dundalk & Bohs to come next, we might be relying on a win v UCD to get our first & only win in the first series of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

By far the better team this evening, but very negative substitutions by Bradley cost us. Taking off both strikers for centre backs just invited Pats to attack. Still almost got the win in the end too.

I understand why Bradley did it, but it backfired.

Surprisingly easy for us in Cork

• Advertisement

Stupid subs, taking off Clarke and Gaffney who were pulling Pats all over the place just invited Pats onto us. Unfortunately John Kenny contributes very little, missed 3 sitters today and gets knocked of the ball so easily.

Rovers need to play Gaffney and Burke together from now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

As a Pats fan I have to agree. The substitutions handed us the initiative, and in fairness to Mulraney he took the goal well. Would have been happy with a point beforehand, so a good result. New keeper was excellent for us, so that’s a positive too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Classic astro turf injury in Derry. Absolutely no give in it and ligaments probably torn after planting. F**k off with that pitch. Your owner has enough money to replace it 100 times over.

Watched it back and it looks like he's done his knee, not ankle. Hoping it's not the case.

The council need to wake up and just let yer man replace it. Hopefully Brannefalk is the last one to fall victim to it.

They have no place at this level. I'm fuming because we have no other RB. It's the one position we don't have cover for because Boylan also tore his knee in pre-season

2 more defenders came off at HT according to livescore and one of them was the guy who came on?

I came on to say it’s a great night for the league as there have been some absolute crackers scored in a spread of games but then saw the stuff about the injuries which is really annoying as it will spoil the story, obviously my annoyance is small fish compared to the injuries

• Advertisement

Mahon went off because he was very fortunate not to pick up a 2nd yellow. Hasn't had a good start back in the league and looks a shadow of the player he was before he went over to Scotland and basically took a year off football. Hopefully with another 5-10 games he can get back to his best.

O'Sullivan came on to play RB but he hurt his ankle after a few minutes. One of his ankles was kicked (fair enough challenge) and the other twisted in the turf at the same time. I'm not sure which ankle it was he hurt though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Comfortable win for us down in Cobh. 5 from 5 now, 15 scored and just 2 conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Another 3 on the board for us, hopefully keep us safe from relegation for another year anyway

Owner wants to replace it, but he doesn't own the ground, so it's out of his hands.

The council have a lot of income from the pitch outside of Derry games, and if it was grass then the games on it would have to be limited big time.

Its their call.

I know the players hate it too, so they'd love to have it changed as well. The standard of football isn't the same on it. Ruins football.

But hey, it's uefa approved, what can you do.

As for the game itself, draw a fair result. Shocking ref decision 1st half not to allow the advantage and goal, and Sligo missed a sitter late on. But our home form is worrying, like last season. It'll stop us winning the league, if we have aspirations to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Better if still disjointed performance from us this evening and at least we got a point from it. Thought we were decent until Byrne scored a screamer. Then we were a mess for 25 minutes after that. But we had come back into the match somewhat before Mulraneys equaliser. There was a few scares after that but thankfully we held on. Still lots to work on particularly the at times huge gaps between defence and midfield which left tons of space for the Rovers players. Rovers subs were unusual but I think Bradley was trying to play Ferrugia on the counter with his pace but it was a risky one which didn't pay off. Taking off Clarke was also a strange one as he had Curtis under huge pressure defensively albeit he was also probably giving Curtis too much space when we were attacking.

Some excellent goals this evening with the highlights worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mulraneys one was very well taken, looks the real deal that lad.

Reale stopping play and pulling it back for a free kick was a shocking decision but I don't know about it costing Derry a goal. It stopped a good chance certainly, but McNicholas had stopped playing. The commentary reaction was a bit OTT.

I'd be very underwhelmed if play had continued and McNicholas had failed to stop that effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

He's been very ordinary so far but this was a step in the right direction. He's been played out of position also at times because we don't always play with wingers and he's a pure winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Should of beat, or got something, from Dundalk game. Dropped two points in first game of the season.

Its becoming apparent that Shels are becoming a hard working, disciplined, organised, hard to beat team, improving with every match, and very dangerous on the break

As they gain in experience, better game management and are more clinical with their chances, Shels are going to be a serious outfit.

I've said they are the coming team for a while, and I do think we'll win the league in the coming years, as laughable as many find it.

Still a work in progress and improving all the time. Can't wait to see us when we're the finished article. The improvement from the first game of last season to now is incredible in nearly every area.

Something in the air around Tolka the last year, get the feeling something big is just around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Kerry were unlucky in Wexford, should have had a penalty in the second half imo. Gahxa is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭skaface

Big game for the Blues today at home against Bray.. Need to start putting points on the board.. Starting today hopefully with a home win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Have to say I agree. Excellent as some of the play is it's not being reflected in chances made and certainly not the percentage of those taken. In addition the nervousness at the back is scary at times. Just had a look at last season's results and just ten league goals were conceded at home all season. The two last night now make it eight in the first three games! The corner will turn at some stage but it will probably be too late. Having said that on the bigger picture it's great to see big crowds all around the country and a heightened interest in the league. Who'd have thunk it?

Can't disagree with any of that. Hadn't seen any of Cork since we were in the First Division together, but having scored 4 in Tallaght recently, I was definitely worried about the threats you would pose going forward, but maybe last night was just an off night, because there wasn't that much to worry about in the end.

Think both sides will appreciate the 2 week break before the next league game, as we're battered with injuries at the moment, and the coach will probably want to get your lads on the training pitch.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You may well be correct but then in the close season half the players are tempted away similar to the women's team from last year. Until they can match the salaries of the top teams they will not be winning leagues.

I still think survival is a good result this year.

I’ve no eyes beyond week to week but thankfully Farrell and Molloy are both signed up for next season, who are probably the 2 that would have been most likely to attract attention.

Moylan the priority to get extended with them.

• Advertisement

More dropped points for Waterford at home. Really poor start to the season for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

We certainly won't be counting our chickens.

We've started brilliantly. Way more squad depth this season. Good, experienced signings (Borden, B.Clarke, Slevin, Donelon, D.Clarke). And we're also playing a far better brand than the last 3 years.

Waterford can only get better so it's important for us to grow this gap until they start firing on all cylinders.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Has Clarke been great? Was sad to see him go, but Kearns has been fantastic for us so far, so maybe it’ll end up being a switch that worked out well for both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I think the core of the team will remain intact. Shels a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. Young and the more average players thriving in the set up, which they wont necessarily get anywhere else.

Also think the better players feel they are now part of something which will potentially be big. Best off staying and being part of it maybe, in long term could be better for their career.

With various sponsors and investments over the last year in the club, surely Shels have some money now too. Then again the stadium has to be bought back etc.

Future just looks promising I think. We'll be in the mix in the years ahead I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭skaface

That's our problem this season.. We lost our best 2 players from last season and we haven't replaced their quality.. Going to be the play offs again for us if we dont knuckle down.. Yere on a great run in Galway at the moment.

Start of the season couldn't have been better, this year feels like it's all working too. We've started well under JC before but there was never a sense that we would keep it up. That sense is very much there now, we're playing well, we're confident and we're solid as hell at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I think we all know Ollie Horgan is the tactical genius here

Things are most definitely different on field since himself and Chris Collopy came on board. Good different too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Certainly getting a good chunk of momentum going anyway. Early days of course, but wouldn't be betting against ye, as much as I'd love Bray to be leading the pack

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement