Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Tell me again how referees are unfairly treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

7 out of 7 for us. A club record equalling run, win in Wexford next week to break the record hopefully. We need to maintain this now as Waterford will be back in it with Long in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Darragh won't play with a full-time club as he has a good job. But he is a super player.

I'm delighted with a point tonight with our two first choice CBs out and the back four all under 21.

I thought a draw was a fair result.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

Didn’t know that. Yeah, he’s a lovely player. I always liked him at Pats. Very rarely gives he ball away. I think what’s stopped him reaching the top, even in LOI circles is something of the lack of and end product. Doesn’t score a lot, or create a lot of chances for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Corrupt levels of refereeing tonight in Tolka. Sending off wasn’t even a free. 3 mins injury time? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Comfortable win against UCD who well able to retain the ball but not able to create anything with it. We weren't particularly impressive but had more than enough to win. Mulraney had a good game and while he had a big stroke of fortune with his goal he was our most dangerous player. McClelland did well in the first half for a player who hadn't played yet this season. Curtis also had a fine game and it's hard to believe he's only 17/18.

On a side note when was the last time UCD had a decent goalkeeper? Guy today left in a shocker for Mulraneys finish and bar smothering one chance for Lonergan didn't impress.

I would say that his final ball let's him down a little but he is involved in most of our goals.

His finishing is poor though. Missed an absolute sitter against Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Fun game in Cobh, bray were certainly dominant first half but as the game was tight, not many opportunities came up. Should've been 1-0 up before a peach of a Doherty free kick led to a HT lead for Cobh.

2nd half started the same but then a blatant handball in leadup to an own goal brought bray level. Tight game, then a howler by the keeper leads to a whopper dive and red card. Missed penalty (it was actually a pitiful awful one), so was happy out, hopefully keep it tight and nick a win...nah 2 mins later leave an acre of space for an easy goal. So annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is a lot of positivity around the league this year, and rightly so, with many games selling out and a high standard of games.

But in this day and age, it's shocking to see fans have to stand in torrential rain for hours before facing a 4hr trip back home soaking wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Never a red in oriel. Unfortunately ourselves Derry and Sligo appear to have to have to have to bear the brunt of this referee for the season. In fairness the Rovers players didn’t think it was a red either. Even a yellow would have harsh ( high ball)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Kerry's final ball really letting them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭irishmanmick

Lot of talk around the referee stanards again this week. Seems like the yellow card mania has slowed a little. Again this week seen a couple of red cards that were very soft - Shels / Dundalk. Duff having a right go at the ref after in post match interview as well. O'Donnell commenting in the decision in the Dundalk game. While the referee standards in teh league definitely need to improve, I have an issue with managers having a go after a match. They are the very people telling their players to be 'clever' when they feel contact & they all pile in on every opportunity to pressure a ref into a card. If those decisions had of went been in Shels & Dundalk's favour, I guarantee that Duff / O'Donnell would have been jumping up & down looking for red cards & happily clap once they were produced. For me, their problem isn't the actual decision itself, it's that the decision went against them this time.

No singling Duff / O'Donnell out either, it's every manager & their players & it's rife at every level of the sport from underage to Premier league. As long as that continues to happen that you'll get these stupid red cards unfortunately.

Not defending Duff or O’Donnell but the referee in the Dundalk match issued

2 reds

17 yellows

in 4 matches

Before that in his last 3 matches in NI he issued a red.( 5 yellows)

So that’s a total of 3 reds and 22 yellows in 7 matches (he was 4th official in 3 others)

Post edited by joeysoap on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Alan Reynolds comes home to Waterford. Unbelievable week for the blues. Behind the scenes the new owners are getting it all right. Really positive signs.

• Advertisement

I mean, you’re right that managers would be more than happy to accept poor decisions going their way. But I don’t think that should be considered as limiting the wish for refereeing standards to improve massively.

I also both want refereeing standards to improve, and am also fine when decisions go my team’s way.

It's not that managers are happy to accept the decisions, it's that the whole game actively encourages going down, rushing to the ref to get other players sent off, being 'clever'. They are active participants in it & then they come on in interviews after complaining about refs. Just can't stomach that at all. Not just O'Donnell & Duff, every manager in every league is at it.

Agree with you on referee standards, we have a long way to go & there is loads can could be done - full time refs being the obvious. Just think reffing is the hardest job on the pitch & it doesn't help when absolutely everyone on the pitch is trying to con you.

TBF only an objective panel should be considered for any ref decision reviews as you've mentioned fans / managers are only happy to have bad decisions once they are in their side's favour.

Great appointments this week for Waterford - finishing 9th in the PD this year could be big trouble.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Virgin have done a decent bit of hyping for Bohs v Rovers. Hopefully be a good game.

Shocking red for Drogheda.

Absolutely disgraceful decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

A truly terrible red card given at brandywell to the Drogheda centre back

Red card for Derry now; two yellows.

It's not a dirty game, far from it.

What a win in the Brandywell.

Derry had all the play yet we had the two best chanced and took one.

Kevin Doherty gets every ounce out of this young team.

And Gary Deegan, what a player.

8 wins out of 8, 3 goals conceded in 8 games and another 4 scored tonight, whilst also missing our 3rd pen this season. Beat Bray at home next week and it'll be a clean sweep of the first round of games. JC has risen from the dead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Awful penalty awarded to Dundalk tonight. The lad just collapsed in front of the ref and he bought it. Standard Damien Macgrath decision.

Looks like that Hunter fella had another mare as well. This time in Derry. Trust the FAI to sign up one of NIFL's worst refs.

Ollie is clearly the mastermind! 😆

Might be going a bit too well for him even. Thought he'd be taking over by August.

Only thing poorer than the ref tonight was us. We were tragic to watch.

For the 2nd game in a row, we have a man extra and it doesn't show.

We are worryingly poor at home. Terrible tactics. Massive game now on Monday.

And fair play to Drogs, worked so hard and deserved something out of the game. Probably didn't expect to get the 3pts though.

There's no way we deserved three points tonight. You had all the play.

The ref was an absolute disgrace. Our red was as bad a decision that I have seen in watching the LoI for 45 years.

Watched it on LoI TV but your second yellow looked harsh.

We were well organised and whilst it's obvious that you have some super players, you would be worried why we looked comfortable enough defending against you.

We usually have all the play, but we do nothing with it

We show nothing when it comes to trying to change the game. Subs are always like for like. Guys are being played out of position. Decent players aren't started and guys who seem to contribute little play every game.

We pass the ball backwards and sideways, to death.

Bad night from Shels tonight. The score summed up the game.

• Advertisement

Comfortable win in the end for us, once we got the 2nd goal Cork pretty much gave up. Mulraney has started to hit form with 3 goals in 3 and his pace causing issues. McClelland has also been impressive the last two matches admittedly against the two weakest teams in the league. Thought Cork looked better than UCD at least they offered some kind of threat in attack but a very average side.

Ollie and Chris Collopy (first team coach) have been credited by Ronan Manning with the teams excellent start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

At times they looked busy , trying to speed up play (huff and puffing a lot) but they’ve absolutely nothing in attack. I’d gear for us based on what I’ve seen this year:

I was very disappointed to see Clarke leave but Kearns has been solid in goals to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Another win for the blues. Cobh played alright and look a better team than the last few years. Big travelling support as usual. Looking forward to seeing Kerry for the first time next week.

In fairness to Doyle he's done that a few times for us as he's a decent player for counter attacks when the opposition has to push up. Never want to see him starting tho.

Once Boyd comes back, everything will be fine from an attacking personnel perspective. The positive is that we’ve managed to become a defensive juggernaut, to cover for the fact we’re toothless going forward.

Only 0.5 goals scored per game, but eh it’s the exact same amount conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Robinson should have started last night it was the right game to blood him it should have been blatantly obvious to Duff before last night any combination of Moylan/Farrell/Smith/Leavy as a striker-less attacking trio is not going to work

Thanks christ our defence has been mostly solid and Kearns been remarkably great so far but we won't get away with struggling to score goals for much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

• Advertisement

Tbh, it was a (two?) footed lunged tackle from behind, I can see why the ref gave a red for it.

He won the ball, there was no danger to your player and he wasn't last man.

It looked worse than it was and whilst I can understand a yellow because it looked reckless, it's never a red.

Both of your commentators on LoI tv thought that it was a crazy decision.

They said 3 months when it happened, which would imply early May, but you’d like to think they usually end up ahead of the mentioned schedule.

Hes desperately needed.

Sligo deserved the win. Dundalk couldn't take a penalty to save their lives.(very soft penalty last night ) That’s 2 misses out of 2 now. The 2nd ( or is it 3rd)secret of Fatima is easier to find to answer to than Hobans absence. Flattered to deceive earlier in the season but found out now. Lucky there’s poorer teams in the premier.

Hunter is the worst referee in the LOI, very closely followed by others (the list is too long to mention them all but McGraith and Matthews are two that spring to mind) Unfortunately the ‘border’ teams will suffer more as a result of Hunters officiating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭skaface

Great win for the Blues down in Cobh. Great Away support again..Hopefully we've turned a corner now.. Galway have had a dream start, but all we can do is keep winning and keep the pressure on them.. On a side note, some of the stewards and Guards were a disgrace the way they were acting inside the ground with the Big Away support from Waterford last nite.. Also, only because our fans were so well behaved, there could have been a lot of trouble ..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Why the border teams?

Looking at the Drogheda red card, it is by far from an awful decision. It's an out of control lunge from behind. Harsh....maybe, but in the cohort of mad LOI decisions hall of fame, it's not remotely close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Agreed harsh but wasn't remotely controversial. Everyone knows you can't lunge in from behind with 2 feet anymore

Glad others agree with me about the tackle.

I was sitting very close to where it occurred, and it looked dangerous live. You can't tackle from behind in football, it was made an offence about 10 or 15 years ago. Let allow go in with both feet off the ground from behind.

Couldn't believe some thought it was a terrible decision. I can understand why the ref showed red.

And I'm glad that both the two commentators on LoI tv and the saturday newspapers thought that it was a ridiculous decision.

I think it wasn’t a red, but as poor LOI ref decisions have gone this season, it’s a bit lower on the outrage scale than some we’ve seen so far.

Rovers fans may start to develop a chip on their shoulder about Derry getting 2 fortunate red card decisions in their favour within 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement