Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Interesting to see that Robbie Keane is taking on Asst manager role at Leeds with Big Sam. He's obviously keen to get into management & expressed a desire to become Ireland manager eventually. At 42 he hasn't had a host of chances - asst manager under McCarthy for us & a year at Middlesbrough. I wondered would he take a leaf out of his pal's book & throw his hand in to see if he could get a LOI job. Given the current management setups, the Pats job is the highest profile one to be available in the next while (unless Bradley got recruited to Eng / Sco).

I know a lot of Pats fans wouldn't exactly be keen on a relative rookie but Duff is doing okay with Shels & he has no doubt raised their profile significantly.

As many said here, not a whole bunch of experienced options available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don’t think there’s a Duff type personality out there though. I think describing Duff’s aura as just being an ex Ireland legend, probably isn’t fully describing him. Very little to suggest that Keane, Dunne etc have those same larger than life qualities.

Obviously, a manager can be successful for many different reasons than just big personality, but if Duff is the comparison being made, then probably better to compare like for like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

As much as I love Bucko his time had come in 2018 when he left. We had gone through a 8 match losing streak which only ended with a tight win against a fairly awful Limerick side and then we had a horrible 3-1 loss to Bohs in Richmond where the atmosphere was poison.

Not entirely sure if I'd want him back as his spell with Sligo was very ordinary and I just have a feeling that his football is slightly outdated now. Still a club legend and I won't forget the cup win in 2014.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I wonder does Keane have the same ability to open an interview with "this is not about me" and then spend the next twenty minutes talking about himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Big Sam on a £2,500,000 bonus at Leeds ( Jesse Marche should still be manager) You could run a LOI club on that. Keane is a bluffer. Kept the €500,000 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I wouldn't call his spell with us ordinary tbh. The club was a complete mess when he came in off the back of 3 shocking hires over the previous 4 years (Owen Heary, Dave Robertson and Gerard Lyttle) and we were almost relegated once or twice. Did an unbelievable job overhauling the squad, bringing through young players and then getting us back into Europe twice. We weren't amazing under him and he won't get many plaudits outside Sligo as there was no silverware won, but it was an important hire that stopped the rot.

It ended the same way it did at Pats though. Team ran out of steam and out of ideas.

Think he'll end up at Cork or Galway when Caulfield gets the sack.

I'd forgotten about Lyttle and Robertson tbh. Lyttle was a weird one how poorly he did with Sligo after he did well with Cliftonville.

Would happily listen to Duff talk about himself for hours

And then he went on to have a lot of success with the IFA after as well, although he recently left that role.

It was ugly with us though. I remember a loss away to a Bray team whose players weren't being paid and as a result were refusing to train at the time. The coaching staff got into a shouting match with fans after the game that could have turned physical had security not been present. One of his staff resigned afterwards. Those were tough days 😆

• Advertisement

Buckley just appointed sporting director at Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Hmmm an easy step into the manager gig for him in a few weeks when Healy gets the chop . Not very subtle

I think you’re right, which makes it a bit weirder that they didn’t just go ahead and do it now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very happy to see him involved- will probably take over as manager at some stage in the future.

With Cork, it’s a hard one. Feels like it’s unlikely you stay up (especially with the quality of team would be in the playoff this year), but with that said, you’re still only 5 points off Drogheda who haven’t even done badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Buckley appointed is not good for us (Drogheda). He will certainly improve Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Jesus no. The last thing I’d want is Robbie Keane or Richard Dunne as manager. We’ve been down that road with Jeff Kenna (though he wasn’t as high profile a player as those two) Never again. The difference with Duff is that he had at least a bit of experience as a coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Cork landed a good one in Buckley.

Patrick's job is available and all of a sudden...Sporting Director! Who are they kidding? Healy must feel his authority has been undermined.

Buckley's teams always play good football. The CF is a key position in his side and need to be able to hold up the ball, bring others into the game and score goals. No pressure!

Also: Healy has walked, but Bucko doesn't want to be the new manager according to John Fallon

If Cork managed to land Bara with Bucko as sporting director they could turn that club around. Bara's only problem is he was terrible are recruiting. Let Bucko recruit and Bara coach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Healy going but Buckley not taking over is a surprise. Get the right man in with the experience of Buckley in the background could be a very good combination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rumour doing the rounds tonight that Colm Whelan has done his knee/ACL again.

I do hope they aren't true, as it would be so sad for the lad after only 3 games back.

I used to think it was just bad luck, but the stats are kinda backing it up now.

We have had a terrible injury list this season. Can't be coincidence.

Although seeing how Colm did his knee, it appeared he was in the corner and trying to get round a man and there was a tussle. Haven't watched it back on TV yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

only1 man, but Dundalk didn’t replace Connolly last year and neither have Derry this year. Both plastic pitches being criticised by managers now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It's not a nice thing they have done to Healy there. Clearly wasn't consulted about Buckley and it's looks like a direct attempt to undermine him.

If i was Healy i would have dug my two heels in and stuck my two fingers up at them. But i'm not a good club man and a decent sort like Healy.

Poor show.

That's awful. Hopefully the lad can make a recovery - must be heartbreaking for the lad. Looked like he knew straight away as well & was suprised he didn't come off

I don’t know if you even come back properly ever from 2 ACL injuries. That’s horrendous if true

If you watch the documentary about the (original) Ronaldo, you will see a guy who went thru hell but made a successful comeback after 2 bad knee injuries. Think his 2nd occasion might have been on his 1st game back as well. Heartbreaking to watch. It was similar to Friday night, you just knew it was bad for Colm as he pounded the pitch with his fist, he knew it was serious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He has age on his side also. Mentally it will probably be tougher than it is physically.

Media members being silenced for breaking stories in Cork now, giving new meaning to the name The People's Republic of Cork! 🇰🇵

Very Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Awful sort of shitehawking.

City actually taking the lead having been a goal down early on. Nice to score a few goals at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Unreal atmosphere in Tallaght

Unreal refereeing in Tallaght

Pats get the deserved win.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I understand them missing the offside on the first goal, was pretty close and hard to call. They should have got the peno though, disappointing.

Great atmosphere alright.

Much needed win for us. Defending was optional in the first half for both sides. Cork's first in particular was horrible from both Lewis and McGrath. We were much better in the second half. Cracker from Mulraney who I was surprised was subbed off. Our third was a beautiful pass from Forrester and a nice finish from Murphy who did well when he came on. Held on fairly comfortably after that as Cork created nothing in the 2nd half. Lots of improvement needed but a good start for Daly. Badly need some of our defenders back fit as we had a fairly patchwork defence this evening and Lewis had a poor performance and hasn't done well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Afolabi doesn’t seem to know what he wanted to do for the penalty shout. He got fouled so it’s a penalty but he’s not impressive.

That penalty call looks particularly terrible. Hard to see how the ref missed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Huge win against Waterford for us. 10 points clear of them now. Great atmosphere too, fair play to the Waterford fans for travelling in good numbers too.

• Advertisement

Important 3pts for us at Drogs, but jez it was poor viewing. We have gone downhill badly of late, starting to think this manager isn't all he was cracked up to be.

Maher made 2 great saves to win the game.

Shels v UCD was as Shels vs UCD a game as there’s been. Don’t think I can remember watching a game between us that had a 10 minute spell of excitement.

I think our team bus must have run over a family of black cats in the last few weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I've been critical of the Rovers defence this season but they've put in an excellent two weeks or so.

Great decision by the ref for the 'penalty', Cleary gets the ball after Afolabi touches it and he had a great view. Unless Afolabi's touch was so bad that he passed it back to the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

You’re not alone in wondering that about Mark Doyle. I don’t like picking on players, but the amount of game time he gets never ceases to amaze me. I thought it was just a Clancy thing and he was one of his favourites, but now Daly is continuing the pattern. To take Mulreany off tonight and leave him on was just bizarre. Great pass from Forrestor for the winner. A good three points to get, especially after giving up the lead and going behind.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Think where players end up being popular with multiple managers but not the fans, it tends to be the ones who are fairly average on the ball, but are strong in terms of keeping the shape of the team. Assume the other Doyle who likes to score against us, is gonna have a 3 game ban total and miss the game against us in a fortnight?

• Advertisement

I'm at the point where I feel there needs to be a strike in the LOI over the officiating. It's atrocious every week, all teams are affected. What has to be done?

Don't think it would solve anything tbh.

The same refs will be there once the strike ends, and they are simply bad, and a strike ain't going to make them better refs.

Looked like Drogs were very unlucky not to get something from their game last night from looking at the highlights. The save by Maher in the 75th was amazing and then the injury time scramble in the box.

You can throw in Dundalk away as well.

We should be 4 to 6 points better off. But we're not.

We have no squad and a dodgy keeper. Last night, we ended up with one "senior" defender on the pitch, a teenager.

Whether we stay up or not will depend on what happens in Cork. But the encouraging thing is that we can take points off any club when we have our first choice XI.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Genuinely the first person I've heard say this about the penalty decision. Any Rovers mates of mine think it's hilarious (and great) how bad a decision it was. RTE commentators and pundits all unanimous as well that it was a stonewall peno, with Cawley being particularly animated about refs missing big calls like that so often.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement