Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Only saw this now. Ya the match day experience has improved over the last cupla years for sure. Away fans are always there. Don't usually need more space as there aren't major travelling supports in the basement. They do have the front of the clubhouse area on that side of it too though.

Francely had his best game of the season last week alright but up to that he'd been desperate all season and nobody knows why he'd started the previous games.

Another routine win tonight. Wexford came for a point and had no answer once we scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Agree it flattered us, but I thought we improved in the second half, after a woeful first half. Class from Forrestor for his two goals. Great save from the Drogheda keeper before we scored. Lyness also made a good save at 0-0.

Great to see ye finally get off the mark. Hopefully ye can build on it and not to be too adrift as the season goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk were muck for 90 minutes (City were no better)

a win, although lucky, is a win,

we’ll take it with matches against Derry,Pats, Rovers and Bohs coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Seven points in March was nothing, and it was always crazy talk writing off Rovers that early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

You might want to read my post again if you think I was doing anything resembling writing Rovers off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Another moral victory for Drogheda last night. But no points.

Goal scoring is a serious issue for us. We'll give any team a game but it counts for nothing if we can't score.

I've never seen a season like it for injuries as well. On what is probably our smallest squad ever.

3 nil away in Sligo was absolutely not on the menu. Delighted with that and could have easily been more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It should've been put on the menu as soon as our team news came out this morning tbh. Expected nothing less than a comfortable defeat.

Can't defend to save our lives even with our "best" XI out there. 1 clean sheet in 15 games. Hopeless.

Hopefully, you’ll stay in the premiership. Much to good to go down.

• Advertisement

Daryl Horgan back to Dundalk ?

To be fair, we’re still battered with injuries aswell, but Jesus the lads pulled out a performance today.

That was rumoured at the start of the season but he went to Stevenage.

Wife from Dundalk and kids born here (in Drogheda 😉).

But I heard big wages and neither club nor SOD felt it was worth it at the time and Horgan was happy to stay in the UK.

Daryl Horgan is 31 in August. Wouldn’t be the first “Dundalk “ player to return from GB (McMillan, Boyle , Hoban, McElaney spring to mind)

Would Horgan still be great use in the LOI now? Haven’t seen him in years so can’t discuss him specifically, but that position is more of a young man’s game than loads of other positions on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Doesn't seem like he was pulling up any trees at Stevenage in League two but he'd still walk into any LOI side.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭RedCardKid

With Peak6 having to put in just over €600k last season, I doubt they would be willing to add to the debt without fresh money coming in. Not like with the Yanks, where money was not an issue, there is a reason Peak6 are looking for investment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Cork Fans

Thinking off going to Cork Friday night, is there parking near stadium (for away fans or does that matter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Routine win for us over Dundalk last night, despite the fact that they could have scored 2 quick goals when it was 2 nil.

But they are a poor team compared to what they used to be. Offered little until they were 2 down.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The away entrance is in an estate. Roads are very tight in said estate so if you do park there be careful you aren't blocking anything.

Plenty of parking about otherwise a short walk away, you're just outside the city centre so options in all directions really.

• Advertisement

2 things’ we learned from yesterdays games

1Rovers have another gear

2) if Derry don’t challenge Rovers nobody else will. Derry are miles clear of the rest. And I agree Dundalk are a shadow of previous teams (and Michael Duffy is still the best player in the League) but good enough for top half finish.And if we didn’t know - Williams is very slow

Duffy is improving as the season progresses, so let's hope he can stay injury free for the rest of the season.

I have been very critical of a lot of Derrys performances this season, usually every home one! But last night we played with more tempo, more passion, more directness. It was much better.

And the fact we have such a terrible home record, and are still on Rovers coat tails is encouraging, considering we have been missing so many influential players. We are nearly at the stage where we will soon have nearly a full squad to pick from, bar Whelan perhaps. But we need to keep everyone free from long term injuries if we are to have a chance at all. I don't think that this is possible though, given the pitch, which seems to claim a victim on a near weekly basis. Whelan couple of weeks ago and Shane Mceleney last night.

I do think that us and Rovers are going to open up a lead now over the chasing pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

I understand what you mean and obviously you will be paying more attention to your own team but Rovers had the worst start to a league campaign since the relegation season of 2005. They had 1 win 2 draws and 3 losses in 05 and 5 draws 1 loss this year. 10 games later and you seem happy enough to be behind going by your post? Derry should really still be in the lead if they took their chances when rovers were slipping up

Always knew Rovers would come good, it didn't take that long. We would have had a decent gap had we any sort of home form. In reality both of us were slipping up.

At the start of the season I didn't fancy us to win the league. I still think we'll finish 2nd, as we haven't got as good a squad as Rovers.

I am happy still to be in contention considering we were missing so many big names for large parts of the season so far. We have only had Duffy, Pat McEleney and Adan O'Reilly for half the games or less. Connolly for a handful. Dunmigan only back, Whelan only played over 1 full game.

Once we get them all back, it will be about keeping them all fit if we are to have any chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Talk he may even go to jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sligo Rovers will end up in the playoff if they're not careful. I know we are without our best 2 attacking players but f**k me this is hard to watch.

We can't defend. 1 clean sheet in 16 games.

Not great stuff at Tolka so far. Pats dominating possession as the half wore on but very ponderous and not creating much. Shels having the odd moment where they suggest they could be dangerous. Could go either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

LiveScore misidentifying forester as the goal scorer? It was Curtis.

And Derry have made 6 subs according to LiveScore also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Yep Curtis got the goal. Good header from a corner. Pleased with the win, not the greatest performance but we were in control for most of the match after 20 minutes. Forrester and Curtis the standout players although Grivosti and Lennon did a lot of the dirty work.

More nervy finish than it should have been really. Eoin Doyle, Forrestor and Carty with good chances to add a second. Good win really.

The first time in years that I don't go to Tallaght to watch Drogheda and that happens!

Terrific performance, two super goals and tremendous courage.

Our last two wins have been away to Derry and Rovers. Nuts.

Defo an off night for Shels

• Advertisement

Mad result that. Wouldn’t have seen it coming. Keeps things interesting.

As comfortable a win as you could get down in Limerick. We never had to get out of 2nd gear really. Treaty were very poor despite being on their best run of the season coming into it. We were without 4 starters but the replacements did their jobs. We roll onto next week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Game of two halfs up in Dundalk. Bohs only show urgency when they are down and it's normally too late. If they approached games like that from the off they'd be much better off.

Results went our way tonight, easy win v UCD. And favourable results for Rovers and Bohs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

sligo were very poor again, disjointed and disinterested

only going one way at the moment and very little inspiration from the sideline

serious questions need to be asked about some of our signings

first time in turners cross, enjoyed the experience if not the result or performance

• Advertisement

Definitely a game of two half’s. Dundalk just not good enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sixth time in nine home games that Rovers concede two. The late escape wasn't going to happen this time.

No goals conceded at Bohs, Dundalk, Shels, Pats and Derry away.

80% possession, 14 corners...very few shots on goal against a dodgy keeper. Two clearances off the line.

Again Lopes was all over the place against a fast physical striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yeah could do. I have it. But used livescore out of force of habit

Assuming there is not a" fit and proper persons" test for owners in the LOI? Obviously it is a shambles in the UK anyway but the fact that Andy Pilley had multiple fraud charges against him at the time of his takeover must have been some cause for concern with the league and FAI but I don't remember any fuss at the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He has Fleetwood aswell so presumably he passed some kind of test in the UK too?

It is hard to see what kind of degenerate wouldn't pass the UK test though when you look at some of the owners knocking around.

Fleetwood Town have made an approach for Ryan Graydon.

We have rejected it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Not a Pats fan but his very public undermining of his players is a bad sign. A few poor results and any group of players will turn on you if you keep doing that stuff

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Not entirely sure on the decision myself but we've gotten 3 results out of 4 and the match we lost was probably our best performance of the four. Not a huge fan of his public criticism of Jay McGrath but sometimes players do need to be called to task, it's not always the managers fault.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement