Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

A massive failure hopefully.

Why would you say that? (I accept begrudgery is very Irish)

I hope he does well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

joeysoap wrote: »

I hope he does well

Probably not a reflection on Barraclough but more so the Northern Ireland Team. Plenty on here hate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I hope he does well

Cos its Themmuns.

I always had that issue with North MO'N. Wanted him to do well out of it; wanted the Irish Football Association Representative Team to crash and burn.

A dichotomy difficult to reconcile you would agree.

It'll be the same for Ian.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Probably not a reflection on Barraclough but more so the Northern Ireland Team. Plenty on here hate them.

Exactly that. You won’t hear a Spanish person wishing a new Portuguese manager well or a Liverpool fan wishing a new Manchester United manager well, so I’m not sure why it’s begrudgery when we don’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Rivalry in football shocker!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I’d cheer for England over the North

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Who's anthem would you rather though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Who's anthem would you rather though?

liechtenstein

When the euros were on whose results were glanced at after ours and Engerlands? I agree the flags etc are a bit off-putting but I don’t mind non iron doing ok - as long as it’s not against us.

Anyway I doubt most ‘Other’ supporters know the difference between us

• Advertisement

Most of their supporters would slit you, and everyone belonging to you, from ear to ear if they thought they’d get away with it. I’d rather see any other team on the planet win ahead of them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

When you think about it, some of the songs at Orange marches are actually pretty catchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

So anyway.... Good to see Sligo got back to training, given they're supposed to be on of the clubs with the breaks on must be positive.

I've seen I've seen there's 3 proposals on the table,
    1-finish of the 18 games and have 12 teams next year with a playoff
    2-finish the 18 games and keep the status quo, 1up/down and playoff.
    3-?? Any ideas? Is this start from scratch or 3 rounds?

Eir sport going to have a piece on at 8pm Monday 'out of their league' following a few players in the PFAI off season camps. Looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Worrying signs for leagues similar in size to LOI

https://twitter.com/marcboal/status/1276888796425007104

wadacrack wrote: »
    Worrying signs for leagues similar in size to LOI

https://twitter.com/marcboal/status/1276888796425007104

Nothing to do with the sizes of the league, to do with local outbreaks.

Article in Sunday Times today on Robbie Keane.Very sympathetic to him.
    Poor Robbie on €250,000 a year was treated very badly. Poor Robbie etc.

Same author ( Paul Rowan) is co writing a book on our friend John Delaney, which is due out in September . If the article on Robbie is anything to go by...........

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the sizes of the league, to do with local outbreaks.

These leagues have no resources to test effectively (weekly) or isolate etc. Their are no local outbreaks in Iceland. Starjnan have had to postpone 3 games. This obviously hasnt been a problem in the Premier League when a Norwich player tested positive. Its 12 active cases atm according to Worldometers. With no testing in LOI atm and some part time players it will be a challenge to keep the environment safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Same author ( Paul Rowan) is co writing a book on our friend John Delaney, which is due out in September . If the article on Robbie is anything to go by...........

If you are part of the click you are OK it seems. Find it very funny how very few journalists have not mentioned Gavin, McGlue, Walshe or LOI board members past and present (some from our own club) etc. in all of this. JD was the fall guy at the end, however the rest are all hanging in there or are walking away scot free as things stand today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Robbie also made a few quid from transfers

• Advertisement

Who is his brother in business with??? It is all one big family looking after each other.

I'm currently running a tournament on the games subforum. It's to determine the best crest club in the world. Three LOI efforts were nominated if you can believe that. If you fancy jumping on board, click on the link below. Some real crackers in it.

The Ultimate Football Crest Tournament: Europe vs Rest of the World

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I'm currently running a tournament on the games subforum. It's to determine the best crest club in the world. Three LOI efforts were nominated if you can believe that. If you fancy jumping on board, click on the link below. Some real crackers in it.

The Ultimate Football Crest Tournament: Europe vs Rest of the World

UCD?????

UCD?????

UCDD? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

As did Pat Devlin

But he’s not drawing water from a stone nor feeling cheated and sorry for himself.

......Well maybe he is but he’s hiding it better :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

wadacrack wrote: »
    These leagues have no resources to test effectively (weekly) or isolate etc. Their are no local outbreaks in Iceland. Starjnan have had to postpone 3 games. This obviously hasnt been a problem in the Premier League when a Norwich player tested positive. Its 12 active cases atm according to Worldometers. With no testing in LOI atm and some part time players it will be a challenge to keep the environment safe

Iceland is also back open for business is it not? Bars open, phased re-opening since May

It does demonstrate that we are not going back to the way it was attendance-wise anytime soon..

dfx- wrote: »
    Iceland is also back open for business is it not? Bars open, phased re-opening since May

It does demonstrate that we are not going back to the way it was attendance-wise anytime soon..

Yes , League of Ireland could be in trouble if this virus is suppressed at low levels. Maybe will have to revert to part time in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Cape Clear wrote: »
    As did Pat Devlin

Damien Duff’s ‘advisor’.

...and back in the day the whole of south county Dublin & north county Wicklows schoolboys football ‘adviser’ too...complete closed shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Out of their League on Eir Sport 1 at the moment, about 4 LOI players at the start of this season trying to get contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Out of their League on Eir Sport 1 at the moment, about 4 LOI players at the start of this season trying to get contracts.

Damn, wanted to watch that

• Advertisement

Vinny Perth got his UEFA pro licence. (+ Neal Fenn, John Cotter, Dave Rogers, Damien Duff and 13 others).

Alan Reynolds and Giller also hold them.

See Cameron Dummigan is back at Dundalk but I suspect he’ll go on loan to another club. I thought he was ok but he’s up against Sean Gannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Damn, wanted to watch that

Missed the first 10 mins myself, it's worth a watch. Will probably be repeated a few evenings during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I'd prefer more games but happy enough with that. Dundalk rovers in Oriel will be some occasion. Hopefully fans allowed by then.

Sligo need to hit the ground running but I can see an asterisk beside Waterford to save them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Fans probably wont be allowed in.

Wonder will RTE & Eir show more games now that the big GAA games wont be on during the July & August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

So what is happening exactly? Just two rounds and the league is done for the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

So what is happening exactly? Just two rounds and the league is done for the year?

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

4 month break. 13 games. Then a 3 month break.

Not exactly ideal for players to improve considering the LOI has many young players.

Will have a knock on affect in that far less players may get moves resulting in some transfer fee's for clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Happy to see the first division play offs are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Wonder how many clubs are currently back training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Wonder how many clubs are currently back training.

Dundalk, Rovers, Derry, Bohs, Shels and Sligo from what I've seen on social media. There may be others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Yep

but why? I'm not sure I get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

but why? I'm not sure I get it...

I'm not sure why myself, they could've did 3 rounds but chose not to. It'll be though for teams who had a poor start to catch up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

dan1895 wrote: »
    Dundalk, Rovers, Derry, Bohs, Shels and Sligo from what I've seen on social media. There may be others.

We (Cork City) are back as well since last week. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't understand why they can't juts either go back as normal with the current point/positions, or just void the first 5 games.

If it's one thing the LOI has it is time. We have until May to complete the season. They could have just completed the season as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm assuming they picked this option because the money they have available will only cover two rounds of games.

Once again the FAI's decades of mismanagement f*cks the league over. The ideal solution would probably be playing all games through to around mid-December, surely? No money for that though because they've p*ssed it all away.

I don't understand why they can't juts either go back as normal with the current point/positions, or just void the first 5 games.

If it's one thing the LOI has it is time. We have until May to complete the season. They could have just completed the season as normal.

Very simple....finish what you started or start something completely new. But the half arsed effort which has been deemed the solution is a further testament that the FAI is still being influenced by its past.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'm assuming they picked this option because the money they have available will only cover two rounds of games.

Once again the FAI's decades of mismanagement f*cks the league over. The ideal solution would probably be playing all games through to around mid-December, surely? No money for that though because they've p*ssed it all away.

Sick part of it is they have spent more on investigations, legal fees and audits in the last 12 months than they have on restarting the LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

MD1990 wrote: »
    Fans probably wont be allowed in.

Wonder will RTE & Eir show more games now that the big GAA games wont be on during the July & August.

Really surprised that wasn’t confirmed with the announcement. Obviously it might have led to the announcement being delayed a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Is the FAI Cup being played ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement