Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Terrific stream from Dundalk again tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

joeysoap wrote: »
    Terrific stream from Dundalk again tonight

Just over 900 viewers at the peak first half. Stream quality is great......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Ingenious scheduling from the FAI with part-time Finn Harps and part-time Shels setup with a 5.45pm kick-off mid-week Tuesday August 4th for TV streaming while full-time Sligo Rovers and full-time Waterford will take the evening slot of 7.45pm

They really don't give two fu*ks tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Details about stream here. 55e for all games if based in Ireland. 69e if abroad. https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1283152166711066628?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

Eod100 wrote: »
    Details about stream here. 55e for all games if based in Ireland. 69e if abroad. https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1283152166711066628?s=19

Do you know if it will be possible to buy on a club basis or individual game by game basis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

It's after taking a pandemic for the FAI to adapt a 21st century approach to streaming. This LOIGO thing should be permanent, and should have been in place for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

eire4 wrote: »
    Do you know if it will be possible to buy on a club basis or individual game by game basis?

Looks like package only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Price is reasonable for access to all the games. Also nice that the games are spread out and not at the same time. Will reduce server load and also let's the customer get the most value out of their sub. I think on GAAGO every match is available on demand also, so with the LOI using the same system we might have all the games available to watch back anytime.

Hopefully it's a success and continues beyond COVID for overseas fans.

Read on Twitter that the FAI didn't actually purchase the domain loigo.ie before the news came out. Not sure if they managed to get it or if a squatter/troll purchased it as it's unavailable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

That is excellent value for money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Great price for all games, terrible if you only intend to watch your team.

Looks like a decent setup if they use the same system(cameras) as GAAGO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

dreamers75 wrote: »

Yeah I'd agree with comments on the price. It's not dear but if you do only intend to watch your own teams games you are paying for a lot of unwanted content.

GAAGO is a feed of the live TV coverage of a GAA match already being broadcast on TV, essentially piggy backing on the broadcast. Not sure this will be of the same quality. Saw a mention somewhere that it would rely on RTE cameras already at games so presume that's a reference to the cameras recording for MNS.

From the indo;

"Production for the service will be based on RTE's existing service at all Premier Division grounds, but the exact details have yet to be confirmed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Any idea how much the clubs will get out of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Seems decent even if its a bit pricey. Good that the games are scheduled in a way that its possible to watch multiple games. I think it will prove pretty popular

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭irishmanmick

I'm shocked that some posters on here think it's pricey, based on the fact they would only watch their own team. Even if you only watch your own side, for the 13 games reamining, it's just over €4 a game plus then you can watch any of the other LOI games as a bonus. Not sure what you would consider a fair price?

I think it's incredible value. I hope it's a permanent addition to the league, like another poster said, it should have been done years ago but now it finally is available.

TBH, *if* we are are able to return to the stadiums next year, I would still purchase the package just to watch the Bohs away games (I don't get to away games as it's too awkward to take the 3 kids with me!)

I'm shocked that some posters on here think it's pricey, based on the fact they would only watch their own team. Even if you only watch your own side, for the 13 games reamining, it's just over €4 a game plus then you can watch any of the other LOI games as a bonus. Not sure what you would consider a fair price?

I think it's incredible value. I hope it's a permanent addition to the league, like another poster said, it should have been done years ago but now it finally is available.

TBH, *if* we are are able to return to the stadiums next year, I would still purchase the package just to watch the Bohs away games (I don't get to away games as it's too awkward to take the 3 kids with me!)

La Liga TV works and Sky Sports work out cheaper per match for the content they have. Over a 3 month month period. Obviously the level of football is much higher than LOI. I will still purchase the LOI pass however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It is ok value nothing more.
    Hardly incredible when half the teams are not even fully professional.

I do hope when the league is back the attacking play improves.
    LOI last few years has not been exciting at all bar some Dundalk vs Rovers games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

wadacrack wrote: »
    La Liga TV works and Sky Sports work out cheaper per match for the content they have. Over a 3 month month period. Obviously the level of football is much higher than LOI. I will still purchase the LOI pass however

Sky sports is 40 quid per month to see your team play twice Maybe normally

Yeah, but you see your team every week. Not once or twice a month with Sky. I don't want to see Norwich Vs Southhampton.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    It is ok value nothing more.
    Hardly incredible when half the teams are not even fully professional.

I do hope when the league is back the attacking play improves.
    LOI last few years has not been exciting at all bar some Dundalk vs Rovers games.

The standard is higher arguement. I've watched a good bit of the EPL games since they have returned. The majority of them have no more entertainment value than a bad LOI game.

€4 a game to stream your own side's games. I think it's a bargain (and from the Dundalk trial, it seems a very decent quality stream too)

On a seperate note, some big ambitions stated by John Sheridan for Waterford .....https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status/1283011077106806785

Yeah, but you see your team every week. Not once or twice a month with Sky. I don't want to see Norwich Vs Southhampton.

The standard is higher arguement. I've watched a good bit of the EPL games since they have returned. The majority of them have no more entertainment value than a bad LOI game.

€4 a game to stream your own side's games. I think it's a bargain (and from the Dundalk trial, it seems a very decent quality stream too)
    LOi has one of the lowest goal average's in Europe.

The attacking quality is not good enough.

LOI goal average - 2.3
    Bundesliga - 3.2
    Serie A - 3.0
    Premier League 2.8

That is an astonishing difference in goal average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Lads with the hard times clubs are going through at the minute and the known lack of investment from the FAI/LOI, do season ticket holders really expect a free streaming pass??? Would it not be in fans interests to dig a little deeper for the streaming fee (maybe reduced) to ensure the club has a good chance coming back next season??? What is it going to cost the clubs to finance the streaming costs for members or season ticket holders?? All money taken out of next seasons budgets I would assume.

Personally, I would accept a 10-30% discount due to the times that are in it.

As you so constantly inform us you don't live in Ireland so do not have a season ticket so to be honest you don't get to say what season ticket holders should or shouldn't expect. Anyway it covers clubs partially from a legal side from potentially having to pay back all the season ticket value as they can claim to have offered an alternative as part of the value. And it actually won't cost clubs anything, the "buying on season ticket holders behalf" isn't actually the club paying for it for them from what I've heard.

And the idea that fans should just "dig a little deeper" is a complete dismissal of the fact people have been seriously impacted by all this too and financially may not be able to justify dismissing not just the season ticket cost but another 50quid to watch the games.
    dreamers75 wrote: »

5quid a game to watch your team is hardly terrible value
    howiya wrote: »

Yeah I'd agree with comments on the price. It's not dear but if you do only intend to watch your own teams games you are paying for a lot of unwanted content.

GAAGO is a feed of the live TV coverage of a GAA match already being broadcast on TV, essentially piggy backing on the broadcast. Not sure this will be of the same quality. Saw a mention somewhere that it would rely on RTE cameras already at games so presume that's a reference to the cameras recording for MNS.

From the indo;

"Production for the service will be based on RTE's existing service at all Premier Division grounds, but the exact details have yet to be confirmed."

It's based off the coverage that RTE have in place when they show highlights from other games in their live game. There'll be 2 cameras, basic analysis and commentary

LA Liga TV requires a Sky TV subscription too though which should be included in the price comparison, especially as many people are "cutting the cord" with cable TV these days. There's also the pay there during the off-season, and that you don't get to watch the exact game you want.

For now I'm working off the basis that it'll be the same as gaago so you should be able to buy individual games for a fiver. And without having tried it you could use a vpn to get the global subscription, pay a bit more and get the eir games

Overall its a step in the right direction and the price is ok but I would'nt say it could be much higher . Neutral fans of the league will probably be happy. The comments on the standard of the league are fair I think. I think their was a spell of games on TV last season that were producing very low goal averages/chances per game. The standard of LOI is obviously way off the Premier League. Argueing that its not is just bizarre at this stage. Their happens to be part time teams better than fully professional teams with millions to spend in finances. Obviously not

https://www.transfermarkt.com/wettbewerbe/europa/wettbewerbe?plus=1

4th lowest goal average in the world.

League of Ireland is not entertaining atm.
    Interesting seeing La Liga dropped quite a bit as well as that league has reduced in quality compared to its peak.

Hopefully some more teams start attacking more although the idea of a hige press for teams seems alien. Ive seen no teams use that tactic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

LOI goal average - 2.3
    Bundesliga - 3.2
    Serie A - 3.0
    Premier League 2.8

The top scorer last year was Junior with 14 goals, that's pitiful for a 36 game league.
    A player shouldn't be getting near the top 5 with 14 goals nevermind being top scorer.

The top scorer last year was Junior with 14 goals, that's pitiful for a 36 game league.
    A player shouldn't be getting near the top 5 with 14 goals nevermind being top scorer.

yeah its poor.

I think what has happened fitness levels have improved across the league.

But now teams have less time on the ball & are finding it very hard to create.

There was occasions where there would be 0 shots for 30 mins from either side.
    Some woeful games on tv last year. Bohs were quite awful to watch.

Goals don't necessarily equal entertainment. Even so the lack of goals really does come back to the same root issue as most issues in the league do, finances, on the one hand goalscorers are plucked off by the UK every year and on the other most clubs don't do full year nevermind multi year contracts so coaches have a new group of players every year and it's much easier to make a new group defensively solid than quality in attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

sugarman wrote: »
    Agreed.

Also, 2 of the Eir Sports games are Rovers games that wont be shown on the pass and that includes Rovers v Bohs.

Their announced games only go up until Sept.

Beyond that Eir will probably have another 2 or 3 Rovers games ...which will prob inc the Dundalk game.

So in reality, buying the pass for €55 will only give me access to 8 games. Against bottom half teams.

Wouldnt really be interested in watching other teams all that much either.

While its a big step in the right direction, I think other options like a sub to your own clubs games would be more attractive to fans. Along with the option of being able to purchase access to games on an individual basis for when crowds do return and the odd week when people cant make it but can still catch it at home.

Yeah I would agree with that, paying €55 but still not having access to the big Rovers games is a bit off putting. It's hard to know how many non-Rovers games I would watch and it really depends on the product - camera quality, replays, commentary (?) etc. Definitely a positive step though and not bad value at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

General LOI question...sorry if it's a little off topic...

What awards are given in the Premier & First Division on an annual basis, and where can I find past winners...

Cheers

• Advertisement

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Goals don't necessarily equal entertainment. Even so the lack of goals really does come back to the same root issue as most issues in the league do, finances, on the one hand goalscorers are plucked off by the UK every year and on the other most clubs don't do full year nevermind multi year contracts so coaches have a new group of players every year and it's much easier to make a new group defensively solid than quality in attack

This is it, the league is just stagnating. Probably the best centre forward in the league is Hoban, a lad who looked completely out of his depth in lower league England. Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    General LOI question...sorry if it's a little off topic...

What awards are given in the Premier & First Division on an annual basis, and where can I find past winners...

Cheers

You'd think you could find information on https://www.fai.ie/domestic but of course you can't.

They don't even have the cup draw details up there yet, because they are a complete, and utter shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

I got some for you.

List of LOI Player of the Month Awards

List of PFAI Player of the Year Awards

There are two seperate Team of the Year Awards, one for Premier Division and one for First Division

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

This is it, the league is just stagnating. Probably the best centre forward in the league is Hoban, a lad who looked completely out of his depth in lower league England. Says it all really.

When you see the "quality" of the Wycombe winner to send them to the second tier in England, quality football or skilled forward play it is certainly not at lower league England. A team 23rd for all kinds of possession stats get promoted - the leagues are made up of Akinfenwas and 6ft 5in beanpoles. There's a reason why League One manager John Coleman played strikers on the wing and a tall centre half upfront at Sligo.

If you were to go to just your own home games its 15 x 6 = €90, so it is exceptional value and it should be a permanent thing and done long before now.

LOI goal average - 2.3
    Bundesliga - 3.2
    Serie A - 3.0
    Premier League 2.8

I honestly couldn't have guessed the average goal rate for any league. For me, it's just not relevant. I don't go to games because they will or won't have goals. I go to support my club. If Bohs won every game from now to the end of the season 1-0, I'd be delighted. We'd probably win the league. I wouldn't care about average goals per game.

The fact we're all not following the Australian leagues suggests that it's not what draws fans to leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Having watched A league for a while a few years ago I can tell you that goals scored doesn't equate with quality. Most teams were just defensively brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

what clubs could do is offer free home matches to ST holders and charge €25/30 for ST holders for the other 6/7 matches. I never thought I’d say this: EIR are the bogey with probably 4/5 matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Omackeral wrote: »

Is there not a manager of year award for both divisions?

Also no player of year in the first?

Looks like package only

Thanks. That is what it looks like. Disappointing as I am sure I am not the only person who is not really interested in purchasing a league wide package but would happily purchase one for Bohemians and would certainly purchase a few other individual games that interest me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Thanks. That is what it looks like. Disappointing as I am sure I am not the only person who is not really interested in purchasing a league wide package but would happily purchase one for Bohemians and would certainly purchase a few other individual games that interest me.

The televised matches were never going to be included, so knowing that, how much would you have paid for a Bohs only one?

Would you have considered €55 to see every Bohs match for the rest of the season on a high quality stream good value?

The televised matches were never going to be included, so knowing that, how much would you have paid for a Bohs only one?

Would you have considered €55 to see every Bohs match for the rest of the season on a high quality stream good value?

55e is what they are asking for a league pass so to speak for the rest of the season. I would think something below that for only all the remaining Bohemians games say 35e for those 13 games and then have an ability to purchase individual games for people as I am sure there are people out there who would be interested but only in specific games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Musical chairs inside what is supposed to be a new FAI.....2-3 names on that list are very questionable....

Football
    International Football Director - Stephen Kenny
    League of Ireland Director - Mark Scanlon
    Football & High Performance Director - Ruud Dokter
    Head of Grassroots – Ger Mc Dermott
    FAI Competitions Director - Fran Gavin

Business
    Chief Operations Officer - Rea Walshe
    Finance Director - Alex O Connell
    International Operations Director - Barry Gleeson
    Commercial & Marketing Director - Mark Russell

joeysoap wrote: »
    what clubs could do is offer free home matches to ST holders and charge €25/30 for ST holders for the other 6/7 matches. I never thought I’d say this: EIR are the bogey with probably 4/5 matches.

Eir have paid to show those games and it's reasonable that they don't want them shown anywhere else. Where that money is going is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

It'll be interesting to see what standard these live streams get to. As mentioned elsewhere, it seems it's going to be just a single RTE camera in grounds. Even the Dundalk friendly streams over the last few days utilised 2 cameras.

Whatever about the rest of this season, it'll be really interesting to see if the league/clubs take on the streaming themselves next season - Dundalk's experiment might just made people realise what's possible with relatively modest resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

55e is what they are asking for a league pass so to speak for the rest of the season. I would think something below that for only all the remaining Bohemians games say 35e for those 13 games and then have an ability to purchase individual games for people as I am sure there are people out there who would be interested but only in specific games.

See this is the problem with the unwanted content. They've set a price of €55 for 60 matches roughly. There's very few who want to watch or would be able to watch every game.

The suggested €35 for 13 games isn't even €3 a match but they've set a base price of less than a euro a game with the package announced. Its human nature to think if you wanted less games that you'd be charged less.

In my opinion they'd be better off charging €5 a game for a team package with a discount if you sign up for all your teams games. Eg Bohs have 13 games left so if you sign up for them all you'd get them for the €55 (2 game discount).

If a person wants to pay extra for unlimited access they can but you've a decent base price set. I don't think anyone would argue with €5 a match.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

As far as I know Bohs are covering the cost for season ticket holders and members. That was the plan a week or two ago, might have changed with this plan.

See this is the problem with the unwanted content. They've set a price of €55 for 60 matches roughly. There's very few who want to watch or would be able to watch every game.

The suggested €35 for 13 games isn't even €3 a match but they've set a base price of less than a euro a game with the package announced. Its human nature to think if you wanted less games that you'd be charged less.

In my opinion they'd be better off charging €5 a game for a team package with a discount if you sign up for all your teams games. Eg Bohs have 13 games left so if you sign up for them all you'd get them for the €55 (2 game discount).

If a person wants to pay extra for unlimited access they can but you've a decent base price set. I don't think anyone would argue with €5 a match.

Agree totally with what your saying there. It is just dreadful marketing on the FAI's part. Sure there are some who would want a full league package and thats great. But most people would be looking for individual games and or just all the games their team is involved in. You need to be offering pricing for all those options.

Hopefully that is something we will see in future even after the league is returned fully.

As far as I know Bohs are covering the cost for season ticket holders and members. That was the plan a week or two ago, might have changed with this plan.

You are correct that is still the Bohemians plan as far as I know and well done to the club for that. It does not help me though right now as I am away from Dublin so much getting a season ticket is not worthwhile for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Eir have paid to show those games and it's reasonable that they don't want them shown anywhere else. Where that money is going is the question.

The problem with Eir is it's only available to viewers in the south. There's a large contingent of LOI fans in the north can't get to watch games on Eir, including most of the Derry fans. We had to push for 7 months to make the RTE games available in the north as the FAI had got Sky to geo block them but Noel Mooney eventually got it sorted.

But by that logic, if the league pass had have been set at €80, you would be happy to pay €55 (€4 a game) for a Bohs only pass??

I disagree. I would suggest that most people look at a value proposition. Does the €55 to see all the Bohs games represent value to me? Yes or No. For me it does. Do you look at Netflix and say I'm not paying €15 a month for all your content, I'll pay you a fiver and only watch want I want to see?

As for charging per game, it would never work like that. There needs to be some a degree of certainty to provide these services. RTE are no doubt being paid to provide the capture, whatever service is providing the stream is taking their cut, as well as FAI & clubs. Paying up front for th esubscription sorts this. Not relying on a game by game basis, that's no way to run a business model.

If they were to do a game by game pass, then I would suggest it needs to be much higher that €5 per game. €10 for a game pass, similar to a day pass for Now TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

grayzer75 wrote: »
    The problem with Eir is it's only available to viewers in the south. There's a large contingent of LOI fans in the north can't get to watch games on Eir, including most of the Derry fans. We had to push for 7 months to make the RTE games available in the north as the FAI had got Sky to geo block them but Noel Mooney eventually got it sorted.

Could be completely wrong here but couldn't viewers in NI get the overseas package, which includes all the games, even the one's eir are showing?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement