Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Absolutely. Wasn't the 200 person limit in football including players, staff, security and operations people? ie no supporters. How have the Gah arrvied at an interpretation that all those are a given and it's 200 punters on top of all that?

You're the first person I've seen to be under that impression. Every reference to the 200 person limit in GAA related media explicitly states it includes the participating sides.

John Horan himself said in his appeal:"They now have the extra burden of continuing to police 200 being in attendance. If you take those involved in the teams and stewarding out of it, you're probably looking at 120 supporters going to a game."

I suppose we don't want to ruin your unfounded rant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

You're the first person I've seen to be under that impression. Every reference to the 200 person limit in GAA related media explicitly states it includes the participating sides.

John Horan himself said in his appeal:"They now have the extra burden of continuing to police 200 being in attendance. If you take those involved in the teams and stewarding out of it, you're probably looking at 120 supporters going to a game."

I suppose we don't want to ruin your unfounded rant though.

it wasn't a rant it was a question, based on the quote I replied to. I don't read GAA related media. However, having lifted the skirts this morning, I must say I do find the wording in this article a bit ambiguous, as attendance figures don't usually include the players.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/limit-of-200-people-allowed-attend-a-gaa-match-is-a-joke-39386995.html

In other news, the WatchLOI portal appears to be with us

https://www.watchloi.ie/

Season pass is €55 within Ireland (ROI?) and includes
    A WatchLOI Season Pass gives you access to watch 55+ games from this season’s SSE Airtiricty League, as well as live Extra.ie FAI Cup action AND exclusive access to classic Republic of Ireland games from the archive on WatchLOI TV.

outside Ireland it's €69 and includes all the games, adding in the RTE and eir Sports fixtures

Rovers offering the pass to the ST holders now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Shows you what can be achieved when people just put in the effort rather than just say we cant do that.

I wonder how many subscribers they can can get to pay 55e for all the games?
    will it continue after fans can attend games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

MD1990 wrote: »

Shows you what can be achieved when people just put in the effort rather than just say we cant do that.

I wonder how many subscribers they can can get to pay 55e for all the games?
    will it continue after fans can attend games.

Good questions. Be handy for not being able to get to away games say or for people living abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

no one answered last time (i dont think) - but are the clubs being paid on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

no one answered last time (i dont think) - but are the clubs being paid on this?

From the Faq on the league website (not the watch loi website)

FAI is covering all production costs and all revenue from the platform will be split between the clubs.

https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/frequently-asked-questions-for-the-watchloi-streaming-platform/id-3383

Waterford are also advertising that purchasing a pass directly from them will support the club. Not sure how that works.

https://www.waterfordfc.ie/stream-pass-application/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭deisedude

Purchased my pass this morning. It asks you to pick your team when you fill it in so I assume when you pick your team they get a cut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This is a great idea.

Will shelbourne games be available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Drumpot wrote: »
    This is a great idea.

Will shelbourne games be available?

Yes, all premier division matches except for those on eir are available in Ireland, all matches are available in the rest of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I see there is in fact an option to buy single games for €5 each so some people will be happy about that. It's not the €55 option or nothing.

• Advertisement

Reading the service On shels website. So I signup on http://watchloi.ie/ and the only shels games i Won’t see are the ones on Eir sport?

Reading the service On shels website. So I signup on http://watchloi.ie/ and the only shels games i Won’t see are the ones on Eir sport?

Yep, I don't think there's too many games on Eir anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Interesting to see which clubs pay the fee for their ST holders and if its single games or season tickets. I think clubs should get the season ticket for their ST holders for a discounted price.

So far Bohs, Rovers, Harps, Waterford, Shels(?) have said the will look after their ST holders , though whether this means individual match or season long is unclear. There may be more and more might come on board.

I’m paid up for the season now. Looking forward to it, haven’t been able to follow shels the last few decades for numerous reasons. This makes it possible to reconnect.

Is there an app or do you just login to website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

They surely have to continue this going into next season?

sugarman wrote: »
    Well you'd imagine season, as it would be more cost effective for the club even without any discount.

13 x €5 = €65 vs €55.

Thats the difference of probably €20k to a club like Rovers or Bohs with circa 2,000 ST holders.

You'd hope deals would be done for clubs though.

Surely clubs wouldn't have to pay full whack as a normal consumer :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

joeysoap wrote: »
    Interesting to see which clubs pay the fee for their ST holders and if its single games or season tickets. I think clubs should get the season ticket for their ST holders for a discounted price.

So far Bohs, Rovers, Harps, Waterford, Shels(?) have said the will look after their ST holders , though whether this means individual match or season long is unclear. There may be more and more might come on board.

Dundalk confirmed be in touch with season ticket holders, doing the same aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cork City are paying for it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

A WatchLOI Season Pass IE gives you access to watch 55+ games from this season’s SSE Airtricity League, as well as live Extra.ie FAI Cup action AND exclusive access to classic Republic of Ireland games from the archive on WatchLOI TV.

Would you take this to mean all FAI Cup games except those on eir?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

A WatchLOI Season Pass IE gives you access to watch 55+ games from this season’s SSE Airtricity League, as well as live Extra.ie FAI Cup action AND exclusive access to classic Republic of Ireland games from the archive on WatchLOI TV.

No FAI cup games are on Eir. RTE show the semi finals and final usually, they dont even bother there arse showing semi final replays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

kksaints wrote: »
    Yep, I don't think there's too many games on Eir anyway.
    3 announced so far. Think they may have another 3 in the run-in

Derry vs Rovers August 9th
    Rovers vs Bohs September 5th
    Dundalk vs Shels September 11th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I think it's a disclaimer not all FAI Cup games will be shown, may be the ones involving first division teams. Also no info on the promotion/relegation play-offs

sugarman wrote: »
    Well you'd imagine season, as it would be more cost effective for the club even without any discount.

13 x €5 = €65 vs €55.

Thats the difference of probably €20k to a club like Rovers or Bohs with circa 2,000 ST holders.

You'd hope deals would be done for clubs though.

2,000 x €55 = €110,000

And say dundalk 1000 x€55 =€55,000

Those are big sums to have to deal with. You’d certainly hope they get a discount.

But this is the FAi.............

Paul Cook didn't deserve that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I would guess that part of the deal " is all season ticket holders get it for free"

And i guess some clubs made a strong point of that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

2,000 x €55 = €110,000

And say dundalk 1000 x€55 =€55,000

Those are big sums to have to deal with. You’d certainly hope they get a discount.

But this is the FAi.............

It's also a lot easier than refunding ST holders though

dfx- wrote: »
    It's also a lot easier than refunding ST holders though

I agree, though I don’t know there was all that great of demand on clubs for refunds. Quite the opposite, there was some very impressive sums collected by clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Going by Kassiesa.net these are Dundalk's potential champions league first round opponents:

CS Fola Esch (Lux), Djurgårdens IF (Swe), Preliminary Winners, Buducnost Podgorica (Mon), Flora Tallinn (Est), Dynamo Brest (Bel), Riga FC (Lat), Connah's Quay (Wal), KI Klaksvik (Far), Europa FC (Gib), NK Celje (Slo), Ararat-Armenia (Arm), KuPS Kuopio (Fin), KR Reykjavik (Isl), KF Tirana (Alb), Sileks Kratovo (Mac), Floriana (Mal)

Djugardens obvious one to avoid, not sure what standard Dynamo Brest and NK Celje are but rest all look winnable. Unfortunately we wont be seeded second round

Wouldn’t like to be drawn against Belarusian opponents again. Any team that comes on top of Bate has to be decent (Dynamo Brest)

FC Dynamo Brest is a Belarusian football club based in Brest. The club plays in the Belarusian Premier League, the top division in Belarusian football. In 2019, Dynamo won its first ever Belarusian Premier League title. The club has also won the Belarusian Cup on three occasions, in 2007, 2017, and 2018. Wikipedia

Though they are in 8th place in the current league, (Belarus is a dictatorship, run by a madman, and didn’t shut down for covid). we wouldn’t have to isolate for Iceland (if drawn away :))

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

For the week that's in it, an article that should appeal to people who like to consume their football through a screen. Full of contradictions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/liverpool-s-private-party-shows-sport-staged-for-tv-doesn-t-mean-it-does-not-count-1.4311665

• Advertisement

Whats the crack with club online stuff ?

Was looking at Shels Patreon stuff https://shelbournefc.ie/patreon/

Is it really just a platform to donate to the club in a tough year ? Id actually rather pay a one off lump to them then monthly. Just wanna really give it a go and get into it. I know we wont win anything this year, but really looking forward to watching them.

Have a friend who is coaching with them aswell, this and the online stream prob have given me a nudge to try and follow them again.

Whats the crack with club online stuff ?

Was looking at Shels Patreon stuff https://shelbournefc.ie/patreon/

Is it really just a platform to donate to the club in a tough year ? Id actually rather pay a one off lump to them then monthly. Just wanna really give it a go and get into it. I know we wont win anything this year, but really looking forward to watching them.

Have a friend who is coaching with them aswell, this and the online stream prob have given me a nudge to try and follow them again.

I'm not entirely sure what the Shels Pateron is like but the Pat's Patreon produced podcasts and put out classic matches for viewing as well as been a donation platform in the current rough times.

From a quick glance

Waterford €6.99 a mont 32 members so far
    St Pats €10 a month 150 members so far
    Shels €5 or €15 a month members not shown
    Dundalk €15 a month 290 members so far

All pretty similar except Shels

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

€5 a month for Shels Patreon gets you the weekly podcast which is well produced. Guest in the past have included Dave Rogers, Pat Fenlon, Wes Hoolahan, Dean Delaney and Peter Schmeichel.

€15 a month gets you the pod plus a classic game per week, photos and interviews from training/friendlies and archive material such as old programs.

Shels currently have 304 patrons.

dan1895 wrote: »
    €5 a month for Shels Patreon gets you the weekly podcast which is well produced. Guest in the past have included Dave Rogers, Pat Fenlon, Wes Hoolahan, Dean Delaney and Peter Schmeichel.

€15 a month gets you the pod plus a classic game per week, photos and interviews from training/friendlies and archive material such as old programs.

Shels currently have 304 patrons.

I can’t remember if it was 1990 or 1991 was my first shels home game. Think it was 1-1 draw at home to cork city (Thought it was around January cause it was really cold!), think Mark Rutherford either scored or setup Shels goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I can’t remember if it was 1990 or 1991 was my first shels home game. Think it was 1-1 draw at home to cork city (Thought it was around January cause it was really cold!), think Mark Rutherford either scored or setup Shels goal.

As Dan said, the Weekly Podcast is very well run and always has some great guests. It's run by 4 Shels fans with the sole purpose to help raise money for Shels while keeping the fans informed. The 4 lads are Shane Dawson from Eir Sport, Darren Cleary who's been on a large portion of Irish radio stations in some capacity, Eoin Brennan who's a producer at Newstalk & Gav White who is the Shels Media Officer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This taking a knee gesture will be making its way to our league it seems. First 8 games it’ll be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Omackeral wrote: »
    This taking a knee gesture will be making its way to our league it seems. First 8 games it’ll be done.

Nothing like a good bandwagon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Probably March '88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

When will it end !

Ridiculous and silly at this stage. My opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Oh no. Athletes kneeling for ten seconds to highlight human rights abuses this is terrible.

Anyone upset by this needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

dan1895 wrote: »
    Oh no. Athletes kneeling for ten seconds to highlight human rights abuses this is terrible.

Anyone upset by this needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

There's nothing sincere about it though when players are basically told to do it.

In fact it's actually insulting to the cause.

About as useful as idiots on Fb changing their profile pic to suit the latest trendy cause.

Can we just agree both sides have entrenched views at this stage and arent going to change their opinions?

Lets just cut out the 10 pages of tit for tat and inevitable mod warnings, thread being locked and American buzzwords and go back to talking about football

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Good to see LOI getting their act together re screening games. RTE have been very poor and unreliable. EIR not always available with different providers. Will definitely subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ridiculous and silly at this stage. My opinion.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    There's nothing sincere about it though when players are basically told to do it.

In fact it's actually insulting to the cause.

About as useful as idiots on Fb changing their profile pic to suit the latest trendy cause.

A bit like wearing the poppy for several games every year? The BLM gesture is less contentious obviously, that annual poppy fascism fest is decidedly offensive and abhorrent glorifying as it does one side in armed conflicts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://www.sligorovers.com/junior-signs-sligorovers/

Didnt Sligo have a gofundme to stay afloat. Now they get Derry's best player from last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Very good signing for Sligo, you'd think they will need it if they are to stay up after their poor start. They did have some form of gofundme but didn't most clubs set up something similar during the lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

we have 14 games to avoid the graveyard, we might as well give it a serious lash.

also good to see the FAI put the foot down with derry re the celtic game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement