Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So what.

Should we assume that everything is done correctly over there and follow blindly?

Irish hatred has been ignored in Enhland for years as was racial hatred 20+ years ago. My sense is that England will eventually come unto line on these matters but still have a way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I reckon its specifying the Irishness that got him in trouble. He could've just called him a ****. Why the need to call him an Irish ****?

Arnautovic got a ban in the last Euros for telling a Macedonian player he shagged his Albanian mother. Again, what's the need for bringing ethnicity into it? Saying you shagged someone's ma is enough of an insult.

There's obviously some underlying desire to make the insult worse by adding the national identity of the recipient. If not, what need is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

So what, you ask.

To go back to the start, a seprate thread was started as a discussion. It was shut down as not being worthy of a discussion of its own.

That's fine. A Mod makes a call and every other Mod backs that call, its the norm.

To me, it was a bit unique. Here was an Englishman saying something he would say in the UK, possibly ever other day, but not being aware it would be deemed particularly offensive in the context here. Maybe he watched too many Guy Richie movies😃

How you decide the appropriate level of punishment for xenophobia and racism, just might have held up as a discussion. But in reality probably would have quickly fall foul of the Soccer Forums straight jacket on speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Jesus, what are the words that are considered more offensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I think that your analysis is excellent. In the late 80s/early 90s, I was refused entry into pubs/clubs in the UK because I was Irish.

If I did get in, you'd always get called Paddy by someone. As the night went on, the IRA references would come out.

I remember a landlord in Yorkshire trying to do me a favour by saying that I should try another pub as a few regulars were squaddies and wouldn't appreciate my presence. I thanked him and left!!

Unacceptable, but it was what it was and you just got on with it.

I'm not trying to justify Shelvey's comment but I don't rank it alongside a comment about race, religion or sexual orientation.

I still think that the ban is harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Very harsh over the top ban. But the world is full of snowflakes now.

Remember a footballer said something to Paul mcshane during a game? Something to do with him and a caravan? That was far worse and it was said to him because he was Irish. Anyone remember what the punishment was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

An 8 match ban, which is impressive as it came from the FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I don't agree. Xenophobia isn't really personal in the same way, and is based more on the arbitary accident of birth. But abusing someone because you have an inherret probabem with the colour of their skin is far worse imo, something they can't actually change, and will be made feel self conscious for possibly the rest of their life.

Like lets be real. If you get called an Irish c**t do you feel personally aggrieved. Yet two coloured kids walking home from school get called black this or that, is far worse imo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

So your logic is because there is a worse thing that it's acceptable?

And yes I would be absolutely aggrieved if I went to work and someone called me an Irish cùnt. I have been racial abused in work for being Irish (an arbitrary accident of birth, which skin colour is not?), it was incredibly unpleasant.

Murdering someone isn't acceptable, then again neither is stealing a mars bar. I would place being discriminated based on the colour of one's skin as far more serious, than from the country of where one is derived

When I say arbitrary, maybe trivial is a better word. You could live in Ireland til 7, move to England and no one would be none the wiser. That's the "difference" we're talking about as regards abuse here. It's throwaway comment stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I mean this is just a case of pick your perspective though, isn’t it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

how bad is gaffneys injury?

Devastating if he's an Irish c n t.

Not so bad if he's just a ginger one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It all depends on how offended you are.

Nowadays everything is seen as ott. It wouldn't offend me. I'd just think he was an ignorant gulpin. But it's not like I'd feel any pain or anything. Sticks and stones and all that.

He's English and white. Harvey is Irish and white. I don't think it's a racist slur. But others define it as such

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City flying in Cobh.

1 win in 8 for the table toppers. I honestly wonder if that has ever happened before in any European league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Hopefully it's Johnny Kenny. I'll drive him over to Inchicore myself FFS.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

snyed of the 42.ie parish says it’s at an advanced negotiating stage

Well deserved point for Drogheda.

Aa expected, Shels had most of the ball but a draw was definitely a fair result.

The gap between top and bottom is the narrowest in years this season.

Games like tonight are why we won’t be in a title race. Drogheda made themselves hard to beat and we never looked massively like getting it.

In other events, Duffer had things right in the first instance and it’s baffling that Farrell started tonight. Whipped at HT and it can’t happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Honours even in Terryland, poor game overall. We had enough chances to win it, two chances for Walshy, one gilt edged. One good save from McGinty late on, Nugent headed onto the bar, Hickey wasted a great headed chance first half as did Brouder. I'll take a point but feel we threw two away there tonight. Sligos best chance was for our former player Waweru in stoppage time but he fluffed his lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Pohls is a liability.

All your danger was through Boyd who is a very good player.

We badly missed Gary Deegan in mf but Darragh Markey had a great game.

It's been a good week for Drogheda.

• Advertisement

I thought Jarvis was our best player by a mile. Everything good we did (there wasn’t that much) went through him.

If Pats get Kenny, I’d be worried about top 3 for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Shocked at the Kenny to Pats story. Really didn't think he'd come back to the league so quick (if it happens).

Well that's it in a nutshell. If the only thing that seperates you is an arbitary loyality to one nation or another, or the politics you support, there's no personal slight or put down that can be achieved in any meaningful way. Take away those personal loyalty's one might have, and they're pretty much the same people.

But going after someone's skin colour for example, where they are a minority, mean you have a inherrent issue with that group on a personal level, something that they have no power to change, and it's something they have to carry every day.

There is no comparison. Calling someone an Irish c**t is wrong of course, but under the context in the heat of the moment, I think 10 games is harsh. The English call us that, we call them that, its water off a ducks back stuff. It's wrong, but not that same as racism and not as severe

I dunno, I think the fact we drew and are still top shows we'll be hard to move from there. Everytime someone reckons we're done, we keep managing to stay top. I think it could go on like that all season tbh.

We have a good defence and unlucky to go behind in a few of our last matches. That's the problem, we can't chase a game. We need to score first, and when we do generally win

I doubt that he has had many options outside the league.

I'm not surprised. But for John Delaney, he'd still be a LoI manager.

• Advertisement

Not having it. Constantly failing to win games that we don’t even deserve to win will eventually catch up to us. Teams have figured out how to play against us, and Duffer is gonna have to shake up the blueprint up to evolve the team. No better man to do it, but it’s not always a quick process to do that.

Shels are now 1 win in 9 and I am struggling to tell you which of the 8 we were really hard done by to not win.

Each to their own but Jarvis had a good ft but withered in the second 45.

Gannon was more of an attacking risk in the second half.

You weren't unlucky to go behind tonight.

Pierrot scored a very good goal.

Think you’ve developed a complex after the other lads posts about him. He was comfortably MOTM.

We had chances to go ahead against Galway, Bohs, Rovers etc. It's a fine line, had we got our noses in front there, we'd have won them all. It looks bad when we concede first and the other teams shut up shop, it exposes our lack of potency.

But we get the first goal in some upcoming games and its a completey different story imo. We're the hardest team to play when we go ahead. School boy error goals, where we've gone behind, has been constantly shooting us in the foot recently.

Duff is the best manager to get a reaction from a team. I reckon in ten games, we'll still have our noses in front, and everyone will still be questioning how

Not sure which of my posts was suggesting to you that I think we deserved to win tonihht

We will continue to be difficult to beat like you said. But being difficult to beat alone won’t put you in a title race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yep, another game with a lot of huff and puff but no end product. McCarthy and Dervan didn’t do a lot today, though that’s probably credit to the Sligo defence, and similarly Hickey wins a lot of high ball but is poor with it at his feet. Nugent and Gaxha impressed when they came on.

Defensively we’re well organised, but really need a goal poacher from somewhere! Definitely feels like two points lost though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dervan was poor in general. Ed was played far too far in field, think it was to pick up second balls from Hickey or Walshy but that just didn't work and everything was too central as a result. We wasted multiple crossing attempts and were very poor on set pieces again too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another lukewarm display from us tonight, but we'll take the 3pts, as other results went our way. For me, shows the league has dropped off in standard from previous years.

Having said that, Bohs should have been leading at half time.

How Akintunde missed the open net, I'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

Thought it was a cracking game in Tallaght, and a much improved performance from Pats. Thought we deserved a point, and a what a lovely finish from Mason Melia to get it. Rovers probably had the better chances, and we could have been three down before we equalised, but still think our overall performance deserved the point.

Sorry mate, that was Golden Millers post that I was supposed to quote regarding being unlucky to go behind.

Mea culpa, apology offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭dk1982

One win in 8. You're absolute poxed rovers and derry have been so poor. Once one of those goes on a run (presumably rovers) you'll fall away. Waterford even only 6 points behind with a game in hand...after all the smoke that's been blown up Duffs hoop

Duff getting attacked for only being top of the league is one of the more deranged things I’ve seen on the internet of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Would sum up how I saw it also. We played well, Rovers had the more clear cut chances, didn't take them so a draw is deserved. Rogers made some super saves and has been solid since he came in. Melia was excellent considering the Rovers defence just scythed him down every time he got the ball. It's been a long time since I've seen Lopes struggle like that against LOI opposition and he could have been sent off in the 2nd half for a trip on Keating. Ref was incredibly inconsistent, he strongly enforced throw-in positioning but missed multiple trips, pushes and Cleary absolutely clattering Melia late with a mistimed sliding tackle. Good point for us and the Kenny talks are very intriguing so possibly a very good day for us.

Not attacking him. Saying he's been made out like he's the second coming of Pep. That's not his fault mind, he's don't a very good job but not quite merited the praise he's been getting. Shels only top due to alot of luck

He is top of the league with the 5th highest budget in the league. Has taken a promoted team to Europe and now top of the league. We’re not gonna win the league, but I think he deserves his flowers.

I don’t know what luck you’re referring to. I think the point that you think you have probably seems better in your head, than it actually is in reality.

Yeah and I'm saying he's top by pure luck in that the other top teams have been awful. 1 win in 9 is a terrible run. Anyway you're visibly upset so I'll say no more about Duffer. He's obviously in my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Yellow card for diving was handed out here 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

THey don't help themselves do they

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement