Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

joeysoap wrote: »
    But why should Celje give up home advantage because Dundalk have to quarantine?

I think If Dundalk were drawn at home to Celje, and we told them they had to isolate, then THEY could insist on a neutral country and if Dundalk didn’t agree then it was 0 - 3 to Celje.

What happens if the green list changes?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bohs will play against one of:

Fehérvár FC (HUN)
    Nõmme Kalju FC (EST)
    FK Bodø/Glimt (NOR)

Estonian's at home for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Decent game in the 2nd half. Byrne I thought was pretty poor. Unsure how Eoin Toal was MOTM. Farrugia for me deserved it. 5 sub rule really worked in Rovers favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

wadacrack wrote: »
    5 sub rule really worked in Rovers favour.

And that's why the PL clubs voted against continuing with it next season. It benefits the richest clubs the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

howiya wrote: »
    What happens if the green list changes?

Hungary it is aug 19 7pm
    Uefa travel grant for Dundalk's charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Derry possible opponents:

FK Zalgiris (Lithuania)
    FK Riteriai (Lithuania)
    Budapest Honvéd (Hungary)

Rovers potential opponents:

Honka Espoo | Finland
    Ilves Tampere | Finland
    Dunajská Streda | Slovakia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

prodsc wrote: »
    Hungary it is aug 19 7pm
    Uefa travel grant for Dundalk's charter.

Yeah it's fixed for Hungary because it's on the green list. What happens if our green list changes between now and the game?

We've already seen some countries removed from the first version of the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Dundalk home to Molde or Finnish Champs if they get past Celje

Dillonb3 wrote: »

Probably the best of the three draws available to them, they could have drawn Maccabi Tel Aviv or Legia Warsaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

So celje didn't didn't get a home effectively. So away goals count?

So celje didn't didn't get a home draw effectively do away goals count?

Just extra time and Penalties going by Uefa's website

Just extra time and Penalties going by Uefa's website

Rovers vs Ilves Tampere (Finland)

FK Riteriai (Lithuania) vs Derry City

Fehérvár (Hungary) vs Bohs

Rovers probably got the best draw available to them, Derry arguably drew the best team they could have but will have to travel to Lithuania. Bohs got a tough draw (formerly Videoton FC). Each team is from a country on the greenlist so at least there are no travel headaches.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Orban's favortite team. Should wear the "Refugees Welcome" shirt.

• Advertisement

So if you draw a team from a ‘green list country’ you play them as drawn ie home or away.

If you draw a team from an ‘ non green list country’ you play them in a neutral venue. So even if Dundalk had drawn Celje or the Faroe Islands team at home they would still play in a neutral venue?

Orban's favortite team. Should wear the "Refugees Welcome" shirt.

Stick it to them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Only one away win this week

And that was lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Ensley Fit Memento

what's the story with relegation this season - is it just one down or is there a playoff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

what's the story with relegation this season - is it just one down or is there a playoff

9th play-off.
    10th down automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Ensley Fit Memento

Zebra3 wrote: »
    9th play-off.
    10th down automatically.

cheers

Early goal for Harps against Pats in the cup. Game is live on WatchLOI by the way. Only found out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

10 headbangers travelled to Ballybofey. To stand outside the gate. On a Monday. In the rain.

That’s wild.

Pat's out of the cup.

A bit of normality this year so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pat's out of the cup.

A bit of normality this year so.

We were dreadful, no complaints about the result whatsoever. Whatever way O'Donnell wants the players to play clearly isn't working.

Didn't notice much difference with only one camera at Finn Park tonight. Still enjoyed the stream.

I won't mind them switching to a single camera to lower the production cost next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Pats looked the exact same when they played Shels earlier in the season, no ideas in the final third against a poor footballing opposition who have a well mobilsed defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Omackeral wrote: »
    10 headbangers travelled to Ballybofey. To stand outside the gate. On a Monday. In the rain.
    Dedication to say the least!
    Good to see a bit of fight in us tonight even if the goal was handed to us.. but sure we've handed a few out too since coming back.
    Tbh cant say either looked like scoring. Us from a set piece maybe and pats towards the end. Rare occasion Georgie Kelly didnt score on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Pats looked the exact same when they played Shels earlier in the season, no ideas in the final third against a poor footballing opposition who have a well mobilsed defence

nailed on they'll beat Rovers this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Think Europe will expose how far the league is behind most of Europe now.

Only Rovers I feel have a good chance to progress.

The technical quality in our league is shocking since the restart.

-Dundalk vs Pats it took over 20 mins for a team to string 4 passes together.
    - One of the lowest XG's in Europe as teams cannot create chances.

The league is as bad as it has ever been unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

MD1990 wrote: »
    Think Europe will expose how far the league is behind most of Europe now.

Only Rovers I feel have a good chance to progress.

The technical quality in our league is shocking since the restart.

-Dundalk vs Pats it took over 20 mins for a team to string 4 passes together.
    - One of the lowest XG's in Europe as teams cannot create chances.

The league is as bad as it has ever been unfortunately

Don't like sticking the boot into the league but I'd have to agree with this.
    Shams should go through but I wouldn't put money on any of them. Think it'll be a very short European campaign for most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Is the goalkeeper Barry Murphy playing for anyone at the moment or did he retire? He was last with Pats but doesn't seem to be with them this season.

Think he is going back swimming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Will be interesting to see what kind of team City put out tonight. Even though we have a way more important game on Friday, we need some kind of a win and a goal or two would be a welcome sight for confidence alone.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see what kind of team City put out tonight. Even though we have a way more important game on Friday, we need some kind of a win and a goal or two would be a welcome sight for confidence alone.

As a Rovers fan I'm hoping for a full team and 0-0 for 120 mins :D

Said it a few times I know, but it's bloody brilliant being able to watch all these games in HD with commentary and not be stuck with flashscore alerts or bloody trackchamp if really desperate. Looking forward to the 2 tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Don't like sticking the boot into the league but I'd have to agree with this.
    Shams should go through but I wouldn't put money on any of them. Think it'll be a very short European campaign for most of them.

It would be fair comment that for someone who doesn't like to stick the boot into the league, you always seem to do so.

These European campaigns are an anomaly in extraordinary circumstances, the fitness advantage isn't there, there is one leg with no crowd and for Dundalk on neutral ground after being only a few weeks back. And we're already looking negatively on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Any ideas on numbers signed up for the watchloi app?

Guffy wrote: »
    Any ideas on numbers signed up for the watchloi app?

Someone asked about that on twitter last week.

https://twitter.com/SSEAirtricityLg/status/1291393517063938048?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

I wonder will European games be available on Watch LOI

Wouldnt expect them with the basic package but would be happy to pay for them on a per game basis or a mini package upgrade for all the European games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

deisedude wrote: »

Wouldnt expect them with the basic package but would be happy to pay for them on a per game basis or a mini package upgrade for all the European games

Linfield game postponed due to covid cases in the kosovo team. Might get a walkover.

Be interesting if any of our teams benefit from or fall victim to the same issue

deisedude wrote: »

Usually the rights to the home games belong to the home club, not sure how that works now with one off games, but highly doubt they'll be on the LoI app.

I'd say some of the games clubs are playing abroad will be picked up by some media outlets here once somebody else is broadcasting the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

Usually the rights to the home games belong to the home club, not sure how that works now with one off games, but highly doubt they'll be on the LoI app.

I'd say some of the games clubs are playing abroad will be picked up by some media outlets here once somebody else is broadcasting the game.

Bohs game looks like it will be televised, will be a online stream due to it being a Hungarian TV channel

sidcon wrote: »
    Bohs game looks like it will be televised, will be a online stream due to it being a Hungarian TV channel

Sounds like the type of game Eir will pick up the rights for. The Hungarians will handle everything and they can use the feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

After watching us tonight I honestly think we would struggle in First Division right now. Awful. The decline in 2 seasons is staggering.

• Advertisement

After watching us tonight I honestly think we would struggle in First Division right now. Awful. The decline in 2 seasons is staggering.

Excluding teams who entered administration or had funding pulled by a sugar daddy, it's the most unbelievable fall I've seen in the LOI. You had it all and somehow managed to f*ck it up in the space of 2 years.

I still don't understand how you managed to p*ss away all that European money. It'll never make sense to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Dug out a win in the end, eventually. Pity Cummins was sent off as he was playing well at centre back- keeper really should have come though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Oat23 wrote: »
    Excluding teams who entered administration or had funding pulled by a sugar daddy, it's the most unbelievable fall I've seen in the LOI. You had it all and somehow managed to f*ck it up in the space of 2 years.

I still don't understand how you managed to p*ss away all that European money. It'll never make sense to me.

Didn't Sligo have a fairly similar fall from grace? Going from winning numerous cups, the league, having a blazing start to the title defence in 2013 to relegation candidates a couple of seasons later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oat23 wrote: »

I agree with everything you say. It’s actually a embarrassment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,940 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

waterford played well in the 2nd half but we couldn't get that equaliser. Sadly no Aviva day out for us this year

I'd take a draw on Friday night in Dundalk and hopefully we learnt from our mistakes tonight

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement