Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

dfx- wrote: »
    Two points dropped by Waterford there which is a mad thing to say but the red card and the awful keeper had a huge impact on the last ten minutes

plus it was eight (now seven). Seven points ahead even after Pats and Derry away is a good place to be.

Paddy P could safely say ‘ cone and collect’

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Oat23 wrote: »
    Ocean FM commentary for Cork/Rovers until they sort the stream - https://www.oceanfm.ie/2020/08/14/cork-city-v-sligo-rovers-live-tonight/

By the sounds of it I'm not sure I want the video feed to return....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Group of lads on twitter called FansVoiceTV were streaming it on a phone through periscope saying they'd be shutting it off when WatchLOI came back.

The FAI (or someone from City, maybe) messaged them and told them to shut it off within 6 minutes. :rolleyes:

edit: 1-0 Cork. Dalling with the goal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City score!!!!!!!!!!!

It has taken WatchLOI over an hour to change the picture on the stream to mention the technical problems. There is no way they're fixing this :D

The most annoying part is I sat through 120 minutes of sh*te on Tuesday between Cork and Longford then they robbed me of penalties right at the end. Camera worked fine for that but not tonight when Rovers are due to play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City have it live on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I don't think John Sheridan is going to last long in this league.

https://twistedwave.com/audio_files/361129/25ee7d7d81a9d54a49a4b096d108ae00?s=09

2-0 Cork. Shocking result for us.

Penalty for City.........2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

dan1895 wrote: »

https://twistedwave.com/audio_files/361129/25ee7d7d81a9d54a49a4b096d108ae00?s=09

He is clearly a d1ckhead. Was sacked from Notts County in 2017 for abusing a referee. Considering the amount of abuse refs and nothing done it must have been really bad

• Advertisement

3-0 City

Easy Easy Easy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

What a win. Incredible stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Ensley Fit Memento

we are staying up!!! bit of confidence for the younger lads now, and hopefully CCFC will kick on for the rest of the season..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Even when went 2 up, I was afraid say anything cause I thought we might feck it up. Great win. 2 clean sheets in a row and finally scoring few goals.

still lot work to do but encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Going by his logic.

Sheridan must be a pub manager & a shambles to not get a job anywhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

MD1990 wrote: »
    Going by his logic.

That's it really. If the league was really a pub league, what's a supposed winner like Sheridan doing managing a mid-table club in it? Also how is it meant to be motivating to the players hearing your manager shout crap like that at you is also beyond me.

Just seeing this now.

If this happened at Sligo Rovers he'd be asked to resign. That's so disrespectful to every player and club in the league.

Luckily for him Waterford are the type of club willing to employ rapists, so I don't think he'll lose his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

It's fair funny, in fairness. Chap is off his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Classic deflection from Vinny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

MD1990 wrote: »
    Going by his logic.

I'd say JS knew f*** all about the league or Waterford before taking the job. He was available and they were offering.

That kinda reinforces his point about the league, imagine interviewing for a job but knowing little or nothing about the company.

I'd say while he was utterly unprofessional in his comments, he's actually fairly on the money in his assessment whether people want to admit that or not.

Perth had a good auld whinge, I'd say he's feeling the pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Dundalk have been awful since the restart. Perth could be getting his P45 if they don't progress in Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'd say JS knew f*** all about the league or Waterford before taking the job. He was available and they were offering.

That kinda reinforces his point about the league, imagine interviewing for a job but knowing little or nothing about the company.

I'd say while he was utterly unprofessional in his comments, he's actually fairly on the money in his assessment whether people want to admit that or not.

Perth had a good auld whinge, I'd say he's feeling the pressure.

It was inevitable people would agree, but no he isn't. The non-league teams record in the FAI Cup shows the gap between even the 'serious' LSL teams and any PD team in the Airtricity League. Derry winning 12-2 two years ago against Blarney.

Maybe Sheridan needs to go back down to a level that he can cope with managing..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It was inevitable people would agree, but no he isn't. The non-league teams record in the FAI Cup shows the gap between even the 'serious' LSL teams and any PD team in the Airtricity League. Derry winning 12-2 two years ago against Blarney.

Maybe Sheridan needs to go back down to a level that he can cope with managing..

The league, and most of the clubs in it, are seriously dysfunctional.

A win and two draws in the league since he came in, and only lost 1-0 to Dundalk in the cup.

Considering the aim was to stay up and Waterford are currently in 4th, 3 points behind the champions with a game in hand, with a team that was thrown together at the last minute and a manager who has no familiarity with the league, maybe his comments aren't too far off the mark.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

That's short run of form with players brought in. If Brian Murphy is out for any period of time longer than ten minutes as shown tonight, that will turn. They showed very little organisation, plan, discipline or defence in the final ten minutes and were very lucky to draw.

And I'm sure telling his own players they are not good enough will definitely help.

As is football everywhere. EFL, EPL, SFL, and UEFA/FIFA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Dundalk have been awful since the restart. Perth could be getting his P45 if they don't progress in Europe.

Who do they get to replace him, genuine question.

Long and Buckley are the only real options I'd imagine

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Who do they get to replace him, genuine question.

Long and Buckley are the only real options I'd imagine

Rennie would take over surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Lads I know we all love the league but Sheridans comments are unfortunately how most of the professional football world see the league and its harsh but true. Yes Dundalk have done us proud with a couple of one off results every now and then in Europe against decent sides but it doesn’t really register in the UK where Sheridan has been playing and working all his life and where there is obviously an industry.

Yes it’s ironic that he’s slagging off a league that he has had to come to in order to get employed but in England they look down their noses at the SPL which is light years ahead of us in regards to players , contracts, wages , facilities, attendances etc so it’s really no surprise .

He has been in Waterford a few weeks now and he has probably seen the set up within the league, it’s a ****ty thing to say when you are new to a league and have been welcomed as an ex Irish international but he’s in a perfect place to judge after been a recent lower league manager in England

As I said we love the league but let’s not get too much on our high horse here, deep down we all know that right now it’s really struggling and all that can save it is a football culture change in this country ( not bloody likely ) or millions and millions of euros ( even more unlikely )

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Professional football is seriously dysfunctional, from the super debt-ridden clubs at the top to the wannabes down the food chain.

How UEFA Prize Money Is Destroying Smaller National Leagues

Facing $370 Million In Debt, This Team Is Asking Fans To Chip In

Big trouble in little Belarus for BATE Borisov

Bale out would barely dent Real's huge debt
    tastyt wrote: »
    Sheridans comments are unfortunately how most of the professional football world see the league

Must have missed the press conference where "most of the professional football world" announced their opinion of the LOI.

Little Paddy with the inferiority complex is alive and well. How are Bury FC/AFC doing in the thriving UK "industry"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

tastyt wrote: »
    Lads I know we all love the league but Sheridans comments are unfortunately how most of the professional football world see the league and its harsh but true. Yes Dundalk have done us proud with a couple of one off results every now and then in Europe against decent sides but it doesn’t really register in the UK where Sheridan has been playing and working all his life and where there is obviously an industry.

Yes it’s ironic that he’s slagging off a league that he has had to come to in order to get employed but in England they look down their noses at the SPL which is light years ahead of us in regards to players , contracts, wages , facilities, attendances etc so it’s really no surprise .

He has been in Waterford a few weeks now and he has probably seen the set up within the league, it’s a ****ty thing to say when you are new to a league and have been welcomed as an ex Irish international but he’s in a perfect place to judge after been a recent lower league manager in England

As I said we love the league but let’s not get too much on our high horse here, deep down we all know that right now it’s really struggling and all that can save it is a football culture change in this country ( not bloody likely ) or millions and millions of euros ( even more unlikely )
    I have been very critical of the league recently. Standard of play going backwards etc.

But you cant accept someone coming in calling the league a pub league or a shambles.

There is probably a bit of truth too it but for someone to show that lack of class deserves everything they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

It's one thing calling the league a shambles... Sheridan wouldn't even be the first Waterford manager to do it if you recall Roddy getting an 8 match ban right before Delaney came out with 'problem child'.. and shambles is right...

The league isn't a pub league though, it's a long way from being even where it should be when you consider what some countries with similar populations have achieved. To go as far as calling it a pub league simply disrespectful and insulting as is not knowing perths name. Certainly not saying much about Sheridan as a person. Or maybe when giving out to players and saying 'this is why you're at this level', he should remember where he is too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Perth leading a lot of people up the garden path here and some resorting to xenophobia in silly online comments about Sheridan. 2 points out of 9 for Dundalk is the real story which Perth has little to say about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

https://www2.deloitte.com/xe/en/pages/about-deloitte/articles/fc-barcelona-tops-deloittes-football-money-league.html

Enough said. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Important to remember the comments were made on the sideline of a match and we don't know in what context. Perth bringing it up creates negative publicity for the league and deflects away from Dundalk's really poor form. It was a great game too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Perth leading a lot of people up the garden path here and some resorting to xenophobia in silly online comments about Sheridan. 2 points out of 9 for Dundalk is the real story which Perth has little to say about.

There can be 2 stories...
    Dundalk are not the team they were, but with their squad results are not good enough. Perth definitely wont be sitting comfortably but will likely get the season unless euro qualification becomes a real risk.

I've seen it confirmed elsewhere that Sheridan was coming out with those comments so it's just deflection in itself to say Perth is deflecting. Sheridan has shown just how much respect he has in just not knowing his opposing numbers name nevermind the comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If the reason Waterford Club doctor left is true, no time for Sheridan after that.

Honestly thought he was better than all that

If the reason Waterford Club doctor left is true, no time for Sheridan after that.

Honestly thought he was better than all that

3a1ac7ed846bf8c7f05322b1306d3860.png

I honestly though appointing Sheridan was a master stroke. Akin to Jim McLoughlin all those years ago, but Jim for all his league titles Jim was and still is a gentleman. I have never heard of him saying a bad word about anybody. Sheridan might turn out great. Might be a super appointment. Time will tell.

But you can’t buy respect. It’s earned. And you certainly can’t buy class.

The lads take on it

https://youtu.be/VMEzcBmsHds

At this stage handbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If there was ever anything certain in life it's LOI fans a few times a season wanting the chance to say 'but he's right you know' to some inevitable criticism of the league as if they are some sort of righteous rebel for speaking out. We all know the problems of the league. Sheridan doing it in that way is pretty disrespectful and exaggeration to seem the above 'rebel'. I think he should be glad to be managing here, especially as Oldham seemed to realise they don't have to keep reappointing him and sacking him, 6 times over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Dundalk's CL tie against Ceije is to be shown live on RTE on Wednesday.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0815/1159354-dundalks-champions-league-tie-to-be-screened-on-rte/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I fear for us against Derry today... it definitely will not be pretty :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

why WatchLOI it soo blurry??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It not. It good.

Omackeral wrote: »
    It not. It good.

you must have bnetter quality than me

lshrUB9.png

thats 1080, NowTV @ 720 is clearer (it wont let me take screenshot though)

On the player, click the settings wheel and choose a resolution. It's set to auto by default so it's probably showing the 360p feed for you or something.

It might be doing that because your internet connection isn't strong enough to play the higher resolution options though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

joeysoap wrote: »
    I honestly though appointing Sheridan was a master stroke. Akin to Jim McLoughlin all those years ago, but Jim for all his league titles Jim was and still is a gentleman. I have never heard of him saying a bad word about anybody. Sheridan might turn out great. Might be a super appointment. Time will tell.

But you can’t buy respect. It’s earned. And you certainly can’t buy class.

According to urban legend Jim allowed Tom to sleep on his couch more than once. Tom always refered to him as Mr Mc Loughlin.

Oat23 wrote: »
    On the player, click the settings wheel and choose a resolution. It's set to auto by default so it's probably showing the 360p feed for you or something.

It might be doing that because your internet connection isn't strong enough to play the higher resolution options though.

nope have it at 1080, have 100mbps package and get at least 40mbps

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Awful game this

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement