Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

In fairness to Peak6, no one in the league before has thrown vast resources and making a huge loss every season in the hope of making it far in Europe.
    They couldn't have known that even when you do qualify for a group stage that the money will disappear in the blink of an eye.

They certainly couldn't have predicted a football team having one bad season to put the whole operation in jeopardy.

I mean, there's just no precedent there, particularly in the LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

At what stage do Peak6 decide to pull out? Maybe one more season if even, that 2nd spot in the League could come under threat if the League form doesn't improve.

They pull out when the Dundalk operation starts costing them too much money. Luckily for them, the fastfix lads handed over control for the good of the club thinking these American lads would take Dundalk to the next level and become European regulars. They left the bank accounts full of the Euro cash.

Most of the last 2.5 years has been financed by that. The Peak6 fanboy here (who has gone very quiet recently?) might try to tell you otherwise and point out that Peak6 built a training center or whatever, but all of that was financed by money the club already had before they took over. They've been gambling with house money all this time.

The fans are being mugged off. It'll end the same way it always does: Club potless with the same sh*t stadium. Fans begging to be saved and every other fan saying "I told you so". It's only a matter of when, not if.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

In fairness to Peak6, no one in the league before has thrown vast resources and making a huge loss every season in the hope of making it far in Europe.
    They couldn't have known that even when you do qualify for a group stage that the money will disappear in the blink of an eye.

They certainly couldn't have predicted a football team having one bad season to put the whole operation in jeopardy.

And they certainly couldn’t have predicted Covid. In a ‘ normal ‘ year Dundalk would have shut up shop away from home and taken the 1-0 loss back to Oriel.
    And who knows what might have happened. I am sorry to see Vinny go.

I have supported Dundalk many years now, and know nothing lasts forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

John Caulfield named as Galway United manager.

I think that's a really good appointment by Galway. Galway should really be a consistent premier division team with the size of the city and the good underage players they produce

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

deisedude wrote: »

I think that's a really good appointment by Galway. Galway should really be a consistent premier division team with the size of the city and the good underage players they produce

17 fullbacks incoming :D

Just kidding, good appointment but he'll need time to build his own team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Ensley Fit Memento

deisedude wrote: »

Dundalk fans are relieved .... he won’t have to go far to raid Sligo for full backs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Im very surprised Peake6 are involved with an LOI club, especially one with a stadium not fit to hold European games. They may have looked the 2016 season and underestimated how hard it is for an LOI team to qualify for the group stages of the Europa or Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A hugely welcomed appointment in Galway. We've gone with untested managers the last two times and it has ended in disaster. We are crying out for an experienced candidate and we've got him. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cork gifted a an early goal by Derry just now. Cherrie all over the gaff for an innocuous cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Horrendous goalkeeping by Cherrie, everything suddenly going right for Cork since they got that last minute winner against Longford

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great start for City, goal up.

What a howler from McNulty. Wasn't under any pressure at all and drops it.

Goalkeepers not covering themselves in any glory

Though I'm amazed at how Figueria still managed to hit that home through 3 Cork bodies...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

That lad Simpson from Cork...

Who did he sign from?
    and
    Did he quarantine?

Bennett showing his age there

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Who did he sign from?
    and
    Did he quarantine?

They signed a few players from the UK and they all quarantined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Oat23 wrote: »
    They signed a few players from the UK and they all quarantined.

Oh sorry the commentator on WatchLOI has mentioned it literally 4 times...was my poor attempt of humor

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Who did he sign from?
    and
    Did he quarantine?
    Signed from Preston on August 7th exactly two weeks ago

Though I'm amazed at how these UK players undergoing quarantine (no team training supposedly) for 2 weeks since this restart are all match fit enough to go straight into the starting XI....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40029296.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hard see us even getting a point now. Was hopeful at halftime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Theres another goal in this if City drive forward, I'd be very happy snatching a draw,

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Theres another goal in this if City drive forward, I'd be very happy snatching a draw,

City haven't shown anything to suggest they have a goal in them tbh. Scored from a set piece after a goalkeeping error and Derry have dominated it since. They are good value for their lead.

edit: Derry seem intent on letting Cork score since I posted this :pac:

Cherrie redeemed himself with that save. Wow.

Deserved win for Derry, our free at the end was the chance that had to go in.

sugarman wrote: »
    Peter putting the questions to Vinny there but he wasn't giving anything.

It was quite telling that of the 3 social-media rumours Peter mentioned, Perth made it clear there weren't problems with Gill or with the squad.

Didn't address Peter's third rumour about board interference in coaching matters though...

For those who didn't catch the interview, he said he was still technically employed by Dundalk so had to be careful was he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

sugarman wrote: »
    Peter putting the questions to Vinny there but he wasn't giving away anything.

Ah here. He made it pretty clear of which question he didn’t respond to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

They pull out when the Dundalk operation starts costing them too much money. Luckily for them, the fastfix lads handed over control for the good of the club thinking these American lads would take Dundalk to the next level and become European regulars. They left the bank accounts full of the Euro cash.

Most of the last 2.5 years has been financed by that. The Peak6 fanboy here (who has gone very quiet recently?) might try to tell you otherwise and point out that Peak6 built a training center or whatever, but all of that was financed by money the club already had before they took over. They've been gambling with house money all this time.

The fans are being mugged off. It'll end the same way it always does: Club potless with the same sh*t stadium. Fans begging to be saved and every other fan saying "I told you so". It's only a matter of when, not if.

You will be asking me to pay rent soon...... For what it is worth...
    • No one knows what they paid for the club apart from themselves, the previous owners and the lawyers who drew up the contracts, hence you certainly dont know if they paid the former owners more than was in the bank or not. Maybe they paid €50 or maybe they paid €15 million.
    • Surely if they were planning to pull the plug they would be letting Reynolds and Giller get on with it, wouldnt have been paying players during Covid, nor would they have been signing players.
    • Did they or did they not state publically that they would invest in the ground once regular European football was bringing money in as income would be needed to make it viable?? That is what they aiming to achieve.
    • If they do pull out and nothing is forever in this life, it will be a disaster for the club, however one must only hope they will try to sell it and that a new owner will come in.
    They are clearly trying to increase income streams, improve the playing pool and improve facilites for players. Their aim seems to be to bring the club to a point where it is self suffient which will take time in Ireland and will not be possible on LOI income alone, hence the importance of European football and the reaction to the result this week.

What happened with Vinny is unfortunate, however he should have been aware of the risk, as that this is how life works at the top and if we believe what the press are writing he was informed on Monday. Managers get hired and fired day in day out. This is about the owners protecting their investment and doing what they think is right. If a new manager comes in, goes on a run, gets Europa League group stages or even a qualifier win not many people will be critical of how Vinny was let go in 3 months, however if it goes tits up then people will be crying for Vinny for a long time to come.

If we need advice on collections or fundraisers I will keep you in mind ;)

It was quite telling that of the 3 social-media rumours Peter mentioned, Perth made it clear there weren't problems with Gill or with the squad.

Didn't address Peter's third rumour about board interference in coaching matters though...

For those who didn't catch the interview, he said he was still technically employed by Dundalk so had to be careful was he says.

Of course he is still employed. He is contracted to the end of the season. Once they let him go they have 2 options:
    • A pay off and Vinny signs an NDA
    • Vinny remains employed, gets paid to the end of his contract and the NDA is part of his employment contract.

• No one knows what they paid for the club apart from themselves, the previous owners and the lawyers who drew up the contracts, hence you certainly dont know if they paid the former owners more than was in the bank or not. Maybe they paid €50 or maybe they paid €15 million.

Fastfix weren't in it for money. They are local lads who bailed out the club. I'm sure they got their investment back ie. whatever it was they spent paying off debts + got a little bit on top. But you're dreaming if you think they got millions or cleared out the bank accounts. They wouldn't do that.

Your Euro income in 2016 alone was almost €7m. Even after paying bonuses and factoring in income from other seasons you still had many millions in the bank when they took over. That is what they've been spending.

• Surely if they were planning to pull the plug they would be letting Reynolds and Giller get on with it, wouldnt have been paying players during Covid, nor would they have been signing players.

I said that last night. Check the previous page.

Did they or did they not state publically that they would invest in the ground once regular European football was bringing money in as income would be needed to make it viable?? That is what they aiming to achieve.

It has been viable for years. They are talking complete b*llocks. They have instead decided to spend Dundalk's money gambling trying to earn more for themselves. Investing in the ground will never happen as it's just an unnecessary expense in the eyes of an investment fund like Peak6.
    If they do pull out and nothing is forever in this life, it will be a disaster for the club, however one must only hope they will try to sell it and that a new owner will come in.

Yes I'm sure people will be lining up in a year or two when they decide to cut their losses after posting losses of €5m+ in 3/4 years of ownership.

Let's be realistic. You'll go bust and start again in the first division.

• Advertisement

Fastfix weren't in it for money. They are local lads who bailed out the club. I'm sure they got their investment back ie. whatever it was they spent paying off debts + got a little bit on top. But you're dreaming if you think they got millions or cleared out the bank accounts. They wouldn't do that.

Again you know more than most. I have known 1 of the former owners from my childhood on and would speak to him regularly and I certainly dont know. My brother who played with him as a child and still drinks with him today also doesnt know......all that was ever said is they were happy with the deal (media outlets say they were the first owners in Ireland to make a profilt on the sale of a club) and are to this day sure the deal and owners are the right ones for Dundalk FC. They are today fans but still involved and in regular contact with the owners.
    Your Euro income in 2016 alone was almost €7m. Even after paying bonuses and factoring in income from other seasons you still had many millions in the bank when they took over. That is what they've been spending.

Less than €3-3.5 million left at the end and that is being generous. A sum was used to clear debts and pay a few other legacy bills/clear up the lease on the ground. I would say there was approx. €2.5 million made at the end of it all.
    Let's be realistic. You'll go bust and start again in the first division.

And we wont be the first to do that will we. That is a risk in Irish football due to years of miss-management at the hands of the FAI and lack of domestic income.

At the end of the day, Irish clubs will follow the model they feel is best for them.

Dundalks owners....use the money they have in the bank, add some to it and hope to crack Europe.
    Rovers have an academy....has it made money yet?? They have 2 investors.....
    Sligo.....furlough players, let the tax payer pick up (part of) wages, collect very generous amounts of donations and then sign new players....
    Bohs...looking in from outside seem to be promoting youth and working on a budget. Very good social media/marketing....

I am not running down any model, I may not agree with all of them but I have to accept them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Surprisingly worth our point there. Thought we'd have way more scary moments than we actually had.

CSF wrote: »
    Surprisingly worth our point there. Thought we'd have way more scary moments than we actually had.
    Wasn't expecting that result. 1/10 for sexy football, 11/10 for effort, heart, commitment, organisation. We are a hard watch but I'm hugely proud of the players and the manager tonight and hopefully that result will give the team a huge boost heading into the second round of games to secure our status for 2021

Rovers are decent, the best Rovers team since 2011 (though 2020 not quite as good as 2011 IMO) but the most noticeable difference in that Rovers team is that tonight they had Aaron Greene as their star striker and back then they had Gary Twigg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It was a very decent performance from Shels. They made them look a bit toothless. Shels just lack that bit of quality up front.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Poor stuff from Rovers. One goal and an og in seven halves of football against deep defences, rumours of Dundalk's short term league chances are misplaced.

Again you know more than most. I have known 1 of the former owners from my childhood on and would speak to him regularly and I certainly dont know. My brother who played with him as a child and still drinks with him today also doesnt know......all that was ever said is they were happy with the deal (media outlets say they were the first owners in Ireland to make a profilt on the sale of a club) and are to this day sure the deal and owners are the right ones for Dundalk FC. They are today fans but still involved and in regular contact with the owners.

Less than €3-3.5 million left at the end and that is being generous. A sum was used to clear debts and pay a few other legacy bills/clear up the lease on the ground. I would say there was approx. €2.5 million made at the end of it all.

And we wont be the first to do that will we. That is a risk in Irish football due to years of miss-management at the hands of the FAI and lack of domestic income.

At the end of the day, Irish clubs will follow the model they feel is best for them.

Dundalks owners....use the money they have in the bank, add some to it and hope to crack Europe.
    Rovers have an academy....has it made money yet?? They have 2 investors.....
    Sligo.....furlough players, let the tax payer pick up (part of) wages, collect very generous amounts of donations and then sign new players....
    Bohs...looking in from outside seem to be promoting youth and working on a budget. Very good social media/marketing....

I am not running down any model, I may not agree with all of them but I have to accept them.

You reported a profit on €3.3m for the 2016 season and another profit in 2017, so it certainly wasn't just €2.5m left. It's probably closer to €3.5m.

In their first 2 seasons in charge peak6 have posted a combined loss of €1.85m. They haven't spent anything.

You are shockingly apathetic at the idea of Dundalk going bust. Have you already forgotten that you were the pride of Irish football a few years ago? You didn't need peak6. You had good owners, a good squad and loads of money in the bank. They have done nothing for your club apart from gamble your money away trying to make a few million for themselves. That doesn't seem to bother you at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

No money to pay wages to signed players ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

joeysoap wrote: »

If I was a Cork player on the dole the last few months I wouldn't be happy with these signings. If they got their back pay then fair enough, but doesn't bode well for the future if this is how they operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If I was a Cork player on the dole the last few months I wouldn't be happy with these signings. If they got their back pay then fair enough, but doesn't bode well for the future if this is how they operate.

LOI clubs have been acting like this since I have been following the league. We're broke, we're broke, we're broke, we've just signed this player, were broke, help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

You won't be the first football club to abandon self-discipline and jeopardise your existence in favour of a quick gamble.

You won't be the first club to build a gigantic wage bill, without building the fanbase to sustain it.

And you won't be the first club to blame it on a lack of "ambition" and support from others, when your house of cards falls down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

joeysoap wrote: »

Article is two weeks old. What's the story here? Distraction from other things perhaps?

• Advertisement

In some good news (or bad news for most on here) Bohs have:

*posted a profit for the 8th straight year
    *on course for a 9th even with the current epidemic
    *have continued to honour the players/staff contracts throughout and have indeed committed to extend them for the elongated season
    *have secured Dalymount Park
    *Have contributed to the wider community outside of football in the local area
    *have record crowds despite not winning a trophy in about 10 years
    *doubled membership in the last 12 months
    *have done all this with no benefactor, all member and volunteer driven
    And
    *are going to win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Drinking late into a Friday night/ Saturday morning isnt good for you......

You reported a profit on €3.3m for the 2016 season and another profit in 2017, so it certainly wasn't just €2.5m left. It's probably closer to €3.5m.

In their first 2 seasons in charge peak6 have posted a combined loss of €1.85m. They haven't spent anything.

You are shockingly apathetic at the idea of Dundalk going bust. Have you already forgotten that you were the pride of Irish football a few years ago? You didn't need peak6. You had good owners, a good squad and loads of money in the bank. They have done nothing for your club apart from gamble your money away trying to make a few million for themselves. That doesn't seem to bother you at all.

You seem to forget that those owners who build / financed that squad and earned the money that was in the bank decided to sell. They couldnt take the club and further was their statement and decided to sell. So how the feck could any fan have done anything?? They decided to sell to Peak6, we as fans have to live with it. Peak6 own the club and can do with it whatever they wish...as a fan you have 2 options.

*posted a profit for the 8th straight year
    *on course for a 9th even with the current epidemic
    *have continued to honour the players/staff contracts throughout and have indeed committed to extend them for the elongated season
    *have secured Dalymount Park
    *Have contributed to the wider community outside of football in the local area
    *doubled membership in the last 12 months
    *have done all this with no benefactor, all member and volunteer driven
    And
    *are going to win the league.

Club that seems to be run the right way, cutting their cloth accordingly. If Dundalk are not (I dont believe they will) to win it...then I would love to see Bohs win it.

Bit of respect for the hard-fought Leinster Senior Cup victory of 2016 would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bit of respect for the hard-fought Leinster Senior Cup victory of 2016 would be nice.

Not to mention the numerous cup finals won against Stephen Bradley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Interesting interview from vinny Perth on radio 1

Says he was under pressure from above to pick certain teams and that contributed to him losing his job

That’s a slippery slope

tastyt wrote: »
    Interesting interview from vinny Perth on radio 1

Says he was under pressure from above to pick certain teams and that contributed to him losing his job

That’s a slippery slope

The rumour about Mark Burton taking over has been dismissed by Burton himself. Perth has been saying 'the international manager' when talking about his replacement so it'll be someone from outside the league anyway.

James Rodgers talked to him. He left Dundalk last week - http://jamesrogers.ie/burton-rules-himself-out-of-contention-for-dundalk-job/

There's about a 0.1% chance of it happening but Paul Cook would be an unbelievable hire if they could pull it off. Highly unlikely they are in a position to entice a championship manager whose stock is as high as Cooks is at the minute though.

Anto Breslin goal of the season. Ronaldinho like.

Bohs 2-0 up on Pats at half time

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement