Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Roddy Collins is European.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Filippo Giovagnoli according to RTE.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1160951/

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Oat23 wrote: »

That headline made me laugh ... Former AC Milan (:eek: Wow) summer camps boss (:confused: Wait what!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I said the other day I felt if they appointed Mark Burton things were going to flop pretty badly. I feel a lot more confident in that prediction if they appoint this guy, has disaster written all over it.

That headline made me laugh ... Former AC Milan (:eek: Wow) summer camps boss (:confused: Wait what!)

All the lads from Samba Soccer must be unavailable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Rodrigo Collino is the hombre

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Think we can safely say Peak6 are leaving soon and just want to get the season over with as cheaply as possible. Unreal stuff....couldnt make it up. Reynolds must have refused it along with 100 others before they realised this was the only fool willing to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

All joking aside, if I were a Dundalk fan I'd be livid.

It's one thing getting rid of Perth, but to replace him with someone who by all accounts is used to coaching up to U14s is ludicrous. How have they seen fit to appoint this guy? Just cos he's Italian?

Surely, Reynolds & Gill would be a far better option. It's mind boggling. I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

All joking aside, if I were a Dundalk fan I'd be livid.

It's one thing getting rid of Perth, but to replace him with someone who by all accounts is used to coaching up to U14s is ludicrous. How have they seen fit to appoint this guy? Just cos he's Italian?

Surely, Reynolds & Gill would be a far better option. It's mind boggling. I don't get it.

It's a disgrace what's going on. I'd say Reynolds will be gone and Gill might be kept in the background because he has the pro licence.

Matt Hulsizer needs to have a word with that crackpot da of his because he seems to be running amuck in the background the crazy old bastid.

We had a really tremendous time with Kenny and Vinny but this looks like the end of an era stuff. There's an awful lot of players out of contract at the end of the season so there will probably be a massive clearout.

I just hope somebody like Andy and Paul are waiting in the background when the day comes that the Peak6 show rolls out of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If that appointment is true, it looks like Peak6 have decided to jump ship.

Hopefully the club survives the fallout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

We are an absolute embarrassment and unless Bohs pull off a shocker this season and win the league, Rovers could dominate for years.

Only way seems to be down for Dundalk. I seriously worry for the future of the club.

doncarlos wrote: »
    We are an absolute embarrassment and unless Bohs pull off a shocker this season and win the league, Rovers could dominate for years.

I don't think any club is competent enough to dominate. 2 years ago I was on here saying I thought Dundalk, Cork and Shams would dominate for years due to the Euro money and Cork have already f*cked it up. Dundalk doing their best to follow them.

Personally hoping you all f*ck it up and Rovers can have a year or two back in Europe. We need a roof for the railway end :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Aparently it's not a done deal yet, it hinges on wether Luigi agrees to come in as assistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Honestly thought Cork City fall was bad, Dundalk are asking someone to hold their beer.

Jesus it be funny reading someday when go back and read where Dundalk fans thought they were going when they were flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Honestly thought Cork City fall was bad, Dundalk are asking someone to hold their beer.

Jesus it be funny reading someday when go back and read where Dundalk fans thought they were going when they were flying.

The Cork fall was bad and this could potentially be as bad or worse.

I don't know why it would be funny to read where fans thought they were going because every fan base is the same. Cork were flying and their fans were brimming with optimism, Dundalk the same, Rovers the same after winning the penalty shoot out in November, Bohs fans are buzzing at the moment too - and all rightly so.

If we can be optimistic when we're flying at the top then what's the point???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

FFS

He even looks like a dodgy plumber.

Wasn't one Trapattoni enough?

Aparently it's not a done deal yet, it hinges on wether Luigi agrees to come in as assistant.

Wait till they see they see the San Oriel

( I know your joking about Luigi)

Rte ****e?

He has to quarantine for 14 days ( unless he’s golfer too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

You won't be laughing in the 90th minute of the last day of the season when Dundalk fire a blue shell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

dan1895 wrote: »
    You won't be laughing in the 90th minute of the last day of the season when Dundalk fire a blue shell.

Blue Shells are launched directly from Satan's anus. Those evil creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

joeysoap wrote: »
    Rte ****e?

He has to quarantine for 14 days ( unless he’s golfer too)

If he's flying in from Italy, he doesn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd refuse to believe that story until I see him standing in a dugout, it is literally unbelievable, but extremely humorous in the meantime. Players wearing nametags on the first day, packed lunches, string backpacks

When is Long's contract up? Are they waiting for the end of the season for that?

dfx- wrote: »
    I'd refuse to believe that story until I see him standing in a dugout, it is literally unbelievable, but extremely humorous in the meantime. Players wearing nametags on the first day, packed lunches, string backpacks

When is Long's contract up? Are they waiting for the end of the season for that?

The more I think about it the less believable it seems. It's so ridiculous even as a temporary appointment until the end of the season when their main target becomes available. We'll find out the truth soon enough, as some media outlets are saying he's supposed to meet the team and take training tomorrow.

Either way it has been a very funny Monday just thinking about it.

(Long is contracted until the end of 2021)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Peak6 have one foot out the door.

They've 17 or 18 players out of contract in the winter and they appoint a manager that's never managed a senior men's team before and wouldn't be able to name a team in the league as a stop gap before they run.

My guess is the house money Peak have been playing with is gone and they will be gone too by the end of the year but they'll be able to save face by saying they didn't leave Dundalk with any big contracts.

Doesn’t say where he now. I hope it’s a joke and Rennie gets the 9 games to see how he does. On their day can still beat anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

wadacrack wrote: »

So Filipo has a conversation with a fellow Italian in English on whatsapp? Give me a break! Some scrotes wrote that ...’absoloutley’

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Nunu wrote: »
    So Filipo has a conversation with a fellow Italian in English on whatsapp? Give me a break! Some scrotes wrote that ...’absoloutley’

the things people will do for a few retweets haha

wadacrack wrote: »

Good articles, it is a crazy situation at the moment for Dundalk. You would really wonder how this guy got the job when he doesn't even have the required licence or experience with professional mens teams. Considering Perth only got the sack on Thursday and on Monday it seemed like this Italian fella looked set to take the job, it makes you wonder how long they have been interviewing/sussing out candidates if the likes of Robbie Keane and Mark Kennedy turned it down as well.

John O'Sullivan on Alan Cawleys podcast this morning said he thinks that Peak6 are attempting to turn Dundalk into a gateway for American players into European football, hadn't realised they had 4 or 5 American players at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

it makes you wonder how long they have been interviewing/sussing out candidates if the likes of Robbie Keane and Mark Kennedy turned it down as well.

Did they though?

Nunu wrote: »

Unsure its a fellow Italian. The independent are usually reliable so must trust the source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

To be fair, if Peak6 were looking to move on & simply see out the season the easy thing to do would be to give the gig to Reynolds or Gill so I suspect this may be the start of a new approach to how the club is being run rather than a sign they're off as soon as they can. The gateway thing for young players into european football may not be a bad call at all.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

has anyone checked whether Bill Hulzier's grandson attended this lad's academy or summer school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

John O'Sullivan on Alan Cawleys podcast this morning said he thinks that Peak6 are attempting to turn Dundalk into a gateway for American players into European football, hadn't realised they had 4 or 5 American players at the club.

Don't think this theory holds up to any sort of scrutiny.
    For a start they've one American player in the squad and another out on loan and Gatt was in Austria already. Bizarrely enough Gatt was signed off the back of an ESPN report that Buffalo Bill saw.
    The other one used to play for Havard but was sent off to Athlone.

If the plan was to turn Dundalk into a gateway for American players why has it taken nearly 3 years, and what should be the start of Dundalks Euro season to do it?

Do Dundalk/Peak 6 really think they're a better proposition for young American players than the MLS or USL?

Buffalo Bill used to go to Amherst College and has now started flying in players from there. They play in the 3rd tier of the college system in America.

It's an absolute shambles whatever way you look at it and the unfolding of worst case scenario there.

For a start they've one American player in the squad and another out on loan and Gatt was in Austria already. Bizarrely enough Gatt was signed off the back of an ESPN report that Buffalo Bill saw.

If the plan was to turn Dundalk into a gateway for American players why has it taken nearly 3 years, and what should be the start of Dundalks Euro season to do it?

Do Dundalk/Peak 6 really think they're a better proposition for young American players than the MLS or USL?

Buffalo Bill used to go to Amherst College and has now started flying in players from there. They play in the 3rd tier of the college system in America.

It's an absolute shambles whatever way you look at it and the unfolding of worst case scenario there.

Ah okay I thought Dan McDonnells article mentioned something about another two lads at the club as well that were from American colleges? It's just hard to see why they are bringing these players over when the manager doesn't seem interested in them and major question marks over them being good enough (maybe Gatt will be the exception).

Agreed though that whatever is going on is not going to end well for Dundalk.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohs v Rovers off cause of an u21 training camp :rolleyes:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Bohs v Rovers off cause of an u21 training camp :rolleyes:

Smacks of Rovers running scared, training camp ends the Friday the day before the match.

• Advertisement

sidcon wrote: »
    Smacks of Rovers running scared, training camp ends the Friday the day before the match.

"Bohs boss Keith Long said today: “Rovers got there first but it crossed my mind to postpone the game, absolutely."

sure it does :pac::pac::rolleyes:

Pub league

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Hasn't it accelerated since the Mike Treacy left in December and this is the first season without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    "Bohs boss Keith Long said today: “Rovers got there first but it crossed my mind to postpone the game, absolutely."

sure it does :pac::pac::rolleyes:
    Depends how you read it

Rovers have requested for the game to be postponed because Neil Farrugia and Liam Scales are in Jim Crawford's plans for a gathering in Northern Ireland in preparation for the remainder of their qualifying campaign.

The FAI had offered to let the players return to their clubs on Thursday ahead of the Saturday game but that wasn't deemed sufficient in terms of preparation
    https://amp.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/shamrock-rovers-v-bohemians-clash-to-be-postponed-over-ireland-u21-training-camp-39476695.html?__twitter_impression=true

sidcon wrote: »
    Depends how you read it

Rovers have requested for the game to be postponed because Neil Farrugia and Liam Scales are in Jim Crawford's plans for a gathering in Northern Ireland in preparation for the remainder of their qualifying campaign.

The FAI had offered to let the players return to their clubs on Thursday ahead of the Saturday game but that wasn't deemed sufficient in terms of preparation
    https://amp.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/shamrock-rovers-v-bohemians-clash-to-be-postponed-over-ireland-u21-training-camp-39476695.html?__twitter_impression=true

I read it as both teams are happy for it to be postponed due to player call ups as both are missing 2 players

wouldnt have it as anyone running scared haha

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tbf Long seems to have gone out of his way not to blame Rovers. More tactfully suggesting why this is a bloody issue in the first place.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The funny thing is Bohs are probably the greater beneficiary of the game being postponed, IMO they'd miss their players far more than Rovers would Scales & Farrugia, so it would probably have suited Rovers to play it with the 4 players unavailable.

Either way, both teams seem happy enough with the postponement & if it means rescheduling later in the season when the title race is coming to a close it could be a winner takes all scenario, win-win for the drama seekers among us!!

*edit* seems its back on... so less drama afterall!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Derry 1-0 up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Anywhere to watch derry game?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement