Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

franglan wrote: »
    Anywhere to watch derry game?

I think only the Derry stream which costs a fiver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its on YouTube for free

Edit: we're 1 up by the way

Damn......some header mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Riteriai equalise with a nice header but Cherrie could have saved that. Straight at him.

Can't hate on a team that uses Scooter for their goal music.

edit: Is Figueira injured?

• Advertisement

Cherrie should have done better...I've said that a few times this season.

Terrible from Derry. 2-1 down now.

2-2! Toal equalises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Always wonder how do the teams LOI clubs face in Europe always have so many foreign players (Riterai have 5, maybe not the best example). How much do these guys get paid you would wonder? Average wage in Lithuania is about €1300 per month according to wikipedia. Is it a case of these guys being paid better than they would get in Ireland or down to scouting or what is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

John Gill gone from Dundalk now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Derry game has gone to extra time. It's a very enjoyable match.

Edit. Riterai score within 25 seconds of the start of extra time.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    Derry game has gone to extra time. It's a very enjoyable match.

Edit. Riterai score within 25 seconds of the start of extra time.

Sloppy.
    We conceded at start of 2nd half and start of extra time.

It's like the players are slow to wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

People talking about Dundalk, but Derry's squad can't be cheap either. I sure hope they weren't depending on a European run to fund it.

That was so bad from Derry. Hammill's effort there sums up their night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Oat23 wrote: »
    That was so bad from Derry. Hammill's effort there sums up their night.

Woeful effort from Hammill. Put your foot through it there, for God's sake.

Disappointing result. Derry had more of the play but an inability to take their chances and some awful defending for the second goal cost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

John Gill gone from Dundalk now too.

I don't think we have anyone with the coaching badges that can take charge of our Europa league game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

joeysoap wrote: »
    Pub league

The most disappointing thing I have seen in loi lately was the stand behind the goal at Dalymount, weeds and trees growing on it. could they not do something about that, it looked awful on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Is that not just where they grow the botanicals for "their" gin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Sympathies Niman, worth penalties.

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    I don't think we have anyone with the coaching badges that can take charge of our Europa league game

Rennie still there, he has badges ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

joeysoap wrote: »
    Rennie still there, he has badges ?

Would you trust him to be still there by next week

• Advertisement

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Would you trust him to be still there by next week

Last man standing (only man standing)

So excited about this I even had push notifications active for Dundalk's tweets.

https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status/1298355882468745216?s=19

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

is the assistant the guy who played for man united?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

pgj2015 wrote: »
    is the assistant the guy who played for man united?

No. Rossi is the most common surname in Italy. In Irish terms his name is Joe Murphy.

Is it just me or just he come off as a major spoofer right off the bat.

No. Rossi is the most common surname in Italy. In Irish terms his name is Joe Murphy.

Has an Italian ever managed LOI before?

Honest more than anything. His interview makes me think those WhatsApp messages are real. He knows himself how insane this whole thing is.

Although seeing Dundalk crash and burn under the leadership of a samba soccer coach would be amazing there is now a small part of me that wants to see him do an alright job :D

Can you seriously him as manager of a national team. Any national team.

A few of Italian chippers in Dundalk though, and loads (:)) of pizza places, should Mario and Luigi feel homesick.

First signing Adorjan ( I’m joking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Peak6 have one foot out the door.

They've 17 or 18 players out of contract in the winter and they appoint a manager that's never managed a senior men's team before and wouldn't be able to name a team in the league as a stop gap before they run.

My guess is the house money Peak have been playing with is gone and they will be gone too by the end of the year but they'll be able to save face by saying they didn't leave Dundalk with any big contracts.

Why would they care about "saving face"?

Arkaga didn't at Cork.

Can Dundalk make money for Peak6 in the EL this season?

I'd say the chances are low.

Only the league champions this year get to play in next season's (CL and) EL, and Dundalk aren't gonna win the league this year.

Hard to see anything other than Peak6 cutting their (quite significant?) losses.

Making a profit from Dundalk would now involve rebuilding a new squad and hoping to win next season's league and making European progression in 2022.

Can't see that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why would they care about "saving face"?

Arkaga didn't at Cork.

Can Dundalk make money for Peak6 in the EL this season?

I'd say the chances are low.

Only the league champions this year get to play in next season's (CL and) EL, and Dundalk aren't gonna win the league this year.

Hard to see anything other than Peak6 cutting their (quite significant?) losses.

Making a profit from Dundalk would now involve rebuilding a new squad and hoping to win next season's league and making European progression in 2022.

Can't see that happening.

I'd agree with this. They're going to leave Dundalk soon and leave them in a bad way.

To be honest I find it hard to have sympathy for a club that had €3 or 4 million in the bank just 3 years ago and did nothing but make excuses for why they couldn't fix up their ground.
    The moneys gone, the owners will soon be gone and bar a few dumbells in the YDC and a few monogrammed seats in the club house, there won't be any great legacy from the whole thing.

Which is really what's wrong with the whole league. It doesn't matter how many Shels we have, there's always another one not too far away trying to tell us they're doing something revolutionary.
    There aren't any minimum standards for grounds or finances, so clubs can do as they please when they wouldn't get near any half decent top flight league around Europe behaving the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

sugarman wrote: »
    Eir Sport has been pulled from Virgin Media.

So no legal access to the Dublin derby next week with the game not on watchloi. :mad:

All games should be available on WatchLOI - could you possibly use a VPN and purchase as a one off games from 'overseas'. It's not fair on Bohs or Rovers fans that they could be missing out on a potential league decider because Eir and Virgin are having a domestic.

I'd agree with this. They're going to leave Dundalk soon and leave them in a bad way.

To be honest I find it hard to have sympathy for a club that had €3 or 4 million in the bank just 3 years ago and did nothing but make excuses for why they couldn't fix up their ground.
    The moneys gone, the owners will soon be gone and bar a few dumbells in the YDC and a few monogrammed seats in the club house, there won't be any great legacy from the whole thing.

Which is really what's wrong with the whole league. It doesn't matter how many Shels we have, there's always another one not too far away trying to tell us they're doing something revolutionary.
    There aren't any minimum standards for grounds or finances, so clubs can do as they please when they wouldn't get near any half decent top flight league around Europe behaving the same way.

Dundalk will still have a strong fan base, that is all that really matters. it existed long before the americans showed up and it will carry on long after they leave. It isn't just americans who have money, we could be better off with an Irish owner anyway.

If your an eir mobile customer there is an app that has the sports channels on it. However I've just opened mine for the first time in ages and of course it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

dan1895 wrote: »
    If your an eir mobile customer there is an app that has the sports channels on it. However I've just opened mine for the first time in ages and of course it doesn't work.

THey used to have a separate app for mobile customers and broadband customers for watching Eir Sports ... They have got rid of the mobile customers only version of the app and just use the one app now!

You'll need to download and log into that to get the channel

THey used to have a separate app for mobile customers and broadband customers for watching Eir Sports ... They have got rid of the mobile customers only version of the app and just use the one app now!

You'll need to download and log into that to get the channel
    I'll take a look at that as Dundalk and Shels is on eir in a few weeks. Cheers.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/dlLambo/status/1298562909132525568?s=19

CEO of club with "refugees welcome" on their shirt applauding the Hungarian border control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

overshoot wrote: »
    To be frank, Sligo were never European candidates with that squad. It was bound to be a relegation fight and with a poor start, harps, shels looking decent clearly has all worried there.
    Not having relegation is hardly going to be fair on the D1 clubs.. unless we are farsically going to go back to a 12 team league just after reducing it to 10.

Ps only shams, bohs, Dundalk and cork have played 5. 6 teams have 14 games do 2 rounds
    This aged well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

https://twitter.com/dlLambo/status/1298562909132525568?s=19

CEO of club with "refugees welcome" on their shirt applauding the Hungarian border control.
    Link not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

shanec1928 wrote: »
    This aged well :D

In fairness Sligo did add to the squad over lockdown but no problem saying they're a completely different team in terms of general play and work rate from the one that was in Finn Park first day of the season, and anyone there that day won't argue that.

On the reverse harps were dire after the restart, lost a few in the break and added a few since play started. Have a bad run every year and starting to pick up a bit, so wouldn't say we are out of it yet though. The 5 games in two weeks after the restart were always going to hurt a small/part time squad too. The stereotype on harps was always that we would be cut adrift so once we are in touch it's going to be a worry for others.

Shels performing much the same as before... So the statement isn't that much aged.

Link not working

Ha he must have deleted the tweet. Screenshot attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

He didn't read the T&Cs of that bandwagon obviously!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

grayzer75 wrote: »
    All games should be available on WatchLOI - could you possibly use a VPN and purchase as a one off games from 'overseas'. It's not fair on Bohs or Rovers fans that they could be missing out on a potential league decider because Eir and Virgin are having a domestic.
    VPN won't work if you have a ROI WatchLOI account. My ROI WatchLOI is giving an option to purchase Rovers/Bohs game live for €5 and I can see that the Derry/Rovers game that was on Eir Sport is available on the catchup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Imagine having to delete that tweet :pac:

They will eat each other in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Was feeling rotten about the mess at Dundalk yesterday but chaos is never far away when you're a LOI fan. As the experts have been claiming for over 2 years, Peak6 will bail soon, but hopefully we'll come out the other end.

Probably not the pervading opinion, but I thought the Italian lad came across well in the interview. If it is a disaster over the final 9 league games and the cup, he's an 'interim' coach so hopefully it's only short-term.

Celje 1 up. Dundalk’s ‘old friends’. AZ, Qarabag and Maccabi all leading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Was feeling rotten about the mess at Dundalk yesterday but chaos is never far away when you're a LOI fan. As the experts have been claiming for over 2 years, Peak6 will bail soon, but hopefully we'll come out the other end.

Probably not the pervading opinion, but I thought the Italian lad came across well in the interview. If it is a disaster over the final 9 league games and the cup, he's an 'interim' coach so hopefully it's only short-term.

Very much the opinion of a colleague of mine who interviewed him at the press conference, today. Came away with a positive opinion of the guy. Interesting to see how he gets on, but does sound like the house is falling apart around him.

EDIT: https://louthnow.ie/2020/08/26/filippo-giovagnoli-it-doesnt-matter-if-you-are-maradona-or-filippo/

There's the interview for anyone interested.

That looks like a stuck on head on Giuseppe Rossi :) ( I know it’s not)

Celje 2-1 down now, no surprise there.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Very much the opinion of a colleague of mine who interviewed him at the press conference, today. Came away with a positive opinion of the guy. Interesting to see how he gets on, but does sound like the house is falling apart around him.

EDIT: https://louthnow.ie/2020/08/26/filippo-giovagnoli-it-doesnt-matter-if-you-are-maradona-or-filippo/

I'm sure he is a nice guy, but that was never really the issue people took with the appointment. He's probably the most under qualified coach the league has ever seen and he's managing the current champions. If Ollie Horgan left Harps tomorrow, Filippo wouldn't even get an interview in Ballybofey.

He's been given an opportunity thousands of coaches with his CV could only dream of. If he manages to be successful there'll be a book written about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

peejay1986 wrote: »

I'm sure he is a nice guy, but that was never really the issue people took with the appointment. He's probably the most under qualified coach the league has ever seen and he's managing the current champions. If Ollie Horgan left Harps tomorrow, Filippo wouldn't even get an interview in Ballybofey.

He's been given an opportunity thousands of coaches with his CV could only dream of. If he manages to be successful there'll be a book written about it.

Most under qualified ever? That's debatable. There's been many who've been appointed before who have never played professional football in their life and that will bring...something. You'd like to think he's also seen things during his career as a coach and learned some things. But I agree with your point overall and I think it's being fairly covered in the media as such. It's utterly bizarre.

It's clearly a placeholder appointment. For what? Take your pick. I think the Green List thing definitely played a big part, but moreso, it could just be Peak 6 drawing things out with this appointment to assess their next move.

It's a huge fall from grace for the club though. Even if the guy turns out to be a success, the supporters shouldn't relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The Miracle of Castel di Dundalk.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement