Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

To be fair City look decent, certainly not relegation form. A few City lads, especially No 22 look good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Happy with City tonight. Played well in patches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

One of our better performances.

The goal was well worked.

Rovers deserved it though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

McGlade did very well too.

Happy with no extra time for Rovers and Dean Williams did well upfront for the 2nd goal. Mannus had not a whole lot to do really though it felt close. Another mad game for Doyle as ref.

Bohs 2 up. Cabo won’t bear that. No upsets should Make the draw more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

joeysoap wrote: »
    Bohs 2 up. Cabo won’t bear that. No upsets should Make the draw more interesting.

Any word on when the draw is?

Athlone would be nice... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

First time seeing cork in a few games and they looked much better. McGlade was very good and excellent in the build up to the goal. Rovers still feel a bit patchy.. Can't help but feel the 5 at the back formation is gone a bit stale, not having the same effect it had last season.

https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status/1300539507180269569?s=19

If Dundalk can get past the Andorans they will face one of these. Not a bad draw and if Dundalk were playing at the level they were even last season you would think they have a chance of making the playoffs. They will need to improve big time over the next few weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status/1300539507180269569?s=19

If Dundalk can get past the Andorans they will face one of these. Not a bad draw and if Dundalk were playing at the level they were even last season you would think they have a chance of making the playoffs. They will need to improve big time over the next few weeks though.

I'd be wary of Sheriff, they have made the group stages numerous times over last few years. Still at least we avoided Celtic or Legia. Linfield potentially a very good chance with their draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

They can get Celje again? That'd be interesting.

Thought they'd fix the draw against that possibility, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    I'd be wary of Sheriff, they have made the group stages numerous times over last few years.......

Can't remember them in the group stages but I remember they had a good cup run a few years back and then there was some dodgy dealings with Shelbourne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If they drew celje that would be a bit silly considering they have already met

RonanG86 wrote: »
    They can get Celje again? That'd be interesting.

Thought they'd fix the draw against that possibility, tbh.

Dundalk well able to beat Celje. Bit ironic If the drew each other again.

Ironic too that this year Dundalk can probably use Oriel as far as they go, ( two away draws so far) as there’s no supporters, and the pitch isn’t the problem

Let’s get past Inter Escalades first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

I'd be wary of Sheriff, they have made the group stages numerous times over last few years. Still at least we avoided Celtic or Legia. Linfield potentially a very good chance with their draw

they wouldnt even beat Sheriff YC of the AUL the way they are going latley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    they wouldnt even beat Sheriff YC of the AUL the way they are going latley

They switched to the LSL in recent years and are cruising up the Leagues :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

This is coincidence -
    joeysoap wrote:
    Dundalk well able to beat Celje. Bit ironic If the drew each other again.

This is irony -
    joeysoap wrote:
    Ironic too that this year Dundalk can probably use Oriel as far as they go, ( two away draws so far) as there’s no supporters, and the pitch isn’t the problem

Hello Alanis! Welcome to the forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I doubt it.

Haven't seen anything anywhere to suggest UEFA are waiving any part of the licensing.

This is coincidence -

This is irony -

Hello Alanis! Welcome to the forum!

If you want more ( irony)

If they were to meet again

This time Celje will be the seeded team, last time it was Dundalk

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I doubt it.

Haven't seen anything anywhere to suggest UEFA are waiving any part of the licensing.

We night never find out- away again to Sheriff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Is Fairview Park on the green list?

Shefiff have played 8 games since their league started. Won all 8. Scoring 23 and conceding only 1. :(

Is Fairview Park on the green list?

Or Oscar Treanor Road? ( it’s marginally closer :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Haven't reached the group stages since 2017 though. They did beat Qarabag at home though before losing the away leg 3-0. Dundalk drew with Qarabag at home and also lost 3-0 away so similar formline there.

Qarabag beat them 2 - 1 last week.

Rovers possible opponents ( at home )

Shamrock Rovers (IRL) / AC Milan (ITA) vs Bodø/Glimt (NOR) / Žalgiris Vilnius (LTU)

Linfield be have a real chance

Linfield (NIR) / Floriana (MLT) vs Flora Tallinn (EST) / KR Reykjavík (ISL)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Toni Adebayo Rowling talking nonsense about Rovers from 7.40 in, awful interview in general so be prepared.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000m5rx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Any date for the quarter final draw for the FAI Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Toni Adebayo Rowling talking nonsense about Rovers from 7.40 in, awful interview in general so be prepared.

Not listening to it but he was always a bit of a tool. One of the few players we weren't upset about Caulfield taking. Don't think we even offered him a contract but I could be wrong.

irish_goat wrote: »

I assume it'll be a few weeks away since the rest of the competition isn't being played until after the league season concludes. Someone on twitter mentioned the draw will be live during the next RTE game which hasn't been announced yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

irish_goat wrote: »

Heard end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Ah that was a bit of a laugh, Toni's funny, kind-of. Good to hear another perspective. EDIT: the stupid bitch ruins it though.

' I think they could get a replay' :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

With Reynolds and Gill now gone if Shane Keegan steps away from Dundalk am i right in saying they are fcuked as the new managers dont have the A license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

I normally like the world football phone in but that's patronising ****e from the presenters.

Derry vs Dundalk game off due to internationals. It’s highly unlikely Dundalk will play city on 18th September ( 1 day after Andorra ). Hopefully we will progress and if do are unlikely play Rovers on 25th ( 1 day after next round)

This is not the team of 2016 who qualified for the playoffs and won the league despite the fixture pileup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Derry vs Dundalk game off due to internationals. It’s highly unlikely Dundalk will play city on 18th September ( 1 day after Andorra ). Hopefully we will progress and if do are unlikely play Rovers on 25th ( 1 day after next round)

This is not the team of 2016 who qualified for the playoffs and won the league despite the fixture pileup.

Fixture pile up? You mean the team that were allowed to dictate to the league when they wished to re-schedule their games and switch an away game for a home game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I hate the way they call them Shamrock. its bad enough the radio presenter calling them that but a guy who played in the LOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Fixture pile up? You mean the team that were allowed to dictate to the league when they wished to re-schedule their games and switch an away game for a home game.

The FAI rescheduled the games as they are the governing body - a club hasn't got that authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

They switched to the LSL in recent years and are cruising up the Leagues :pac:

I guess it won't be long before we have some "penalty kick issues" with them again.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I hate the way they call them Shamrock. its bad enough the radio presenter calling them that but a guy who played in the LOI.

He's not going to call them Rovers is he? He played for Sligo Rovers and Cork City. I'm a little surprised after 2 years in Sligo he isn't calling them 'Shams'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Oat23 wrote: »
    He's not going to call them Rovers is he? He played for Sligo Rovers and Cork City. I'm a little surprised after 2 years in Sligo he isn't calling them 'Shams'.

Maybe he was afraid he'd be admonished in the matchday programme if he called them Shams. The nomadic Hoops take exception to the this I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The quarter-final draw for the FAI Cup will take place during RTE's live broadcast of the Sligo Rovers vs Bohemians game on Fri 18th Sept.

Cape Clear wrote: »

We played something like 20 games in 60 days in including one against City. 3 days after sligo murdered us.
    But you still couldn't catch us :P

You might remember it.
    https://youtu.be/c5mPET3RqM4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

We played something like 20 games in 60 days in including one against City. 3 days after sligo murdered us.
    But you still couldn't catch us :P

From memory, I think we played two or three fewer competitive games than Dundalk that season.
    You might remember it.
    https://youtu.be/c5mPET3RqM4
    I remember this one alright from that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Oat23 wrote: »

could he not call them shamrock rovers?:confused:

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    From memory, I think we played two or three fewer competitive games than Dundalk that season.

I remember this one alright from that season.

League: the same (obviously)
    Cup. : the same ( both finalists)
    EA CUP: You played one more round.
    Presidents cup: the same
    Europe :City 6 Dundalk 12

Difference not all that great I’ll grant you.

City vs Dundalk now Sunday 20th
    Shamrock Rovers v Waterford now Monday 21st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Couldn't finish listening to it. Inter players must be dreading getting spat on and bricks being thrown at the coach. Embarrassing interview.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    could he not call them shamrock rovers?:confused:

That's not how normal people talk.

People shorten names. Foreigners tend to shorten Shamrock Rovers to Shamrock. It is what it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

kksaints wrote: »
    I normally like the world football phone in but that's patronising ****e from the presenters.
    Couldn't finish listening to it. Inter players must be dreading getting spat on and bricks being thrown at the coach. Embarrassing interview.

It needed one of their in-depth European contributors on, Mina Rzouki by her own admission only concentrates on the big teams from the big four leagues and only in depth on Serie A.

Andy Brassell or Paul Sarahs would've at least known a bit more and certainly be familiar with the qualifying rounds and not dismiss it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

dfx- wrote: »
    It needed one of their in-depth European contributors on, Mina Rzouki by her own admission only concentrates on the big teams from the big four leagues and only in depth on Serie A.

Andy Brassell or Paul Sarahs would've at least known a bit more and certainly be familiar with the qualifying rounds and not dismiss it...

Do those two still do it? It's usually Mark Meadows and Mina on it now for Europe football. It's gone poor since its come back after lockdown I feel, the presenter has gotten more annoying and while Tim Vickery is very knowledgeable it's a bit stale with him on it every week. Caller quality has always been variable but anyway it's off topic for this thread.

On topic big match in the RSC for both teams. Win and it's a big boost for European qualification, lose and relegation battle is perilously close. Its hard to have faith in us winning, the first match back against Dundalk was a false dawn. We've been poor since bar an ok performance against Harps in the league and a backs to the wall job vs Shams.

• Advertisement

Will the Rovers Bohs match be on watchLOI tomorrow?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement