Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Will the Rovers Bohs match be on watchLOI tomorrow?

Afraid not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Woeful defending from us for Waterford's goals. They're poor and we're gifting them the 3 points. We're deep in the relegation battle unless we pull off a comeback which judging on our performances so far looks nothing short of a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

This year's league is absolutely mental even by LOI standards

Disaster of a result. Our lack of composure is incredible. Worrying times.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Rovers playing a 15 year old in a senior mens match, disgraceful. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Yep, there’s plenty of underage football.at least 16 should be the rule. Somewhere in my mind I recall bohs playing a youngster in a friendly against Chelsea, but I can’t remember his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Bit rich to say they played a 15 year old without mentioning he actually scored!!

No harm in it. If he’s good enough, he’s old enough. Will only do his development good. Ridiculous complaint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Fair play to Waterford for actually holding a lead.

This year's league is absolutely mental even by LOI standards
    So strange. We (Sligo) are starting to dream about Europe. Pats are starting to worry about relegation. They're one point behind us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Bit rich to say they played a 15 year old without mentioning he actually scored!!

No harm in it. If he’s good enough, he’s old enough. Will only do his development good. Ridiculous complaint

Dortmund have a 15 year old kid named Youssoufa Mokoko who played for the U17s when he was 12 and scored 34 in 20 games for the U19s last season as a 14/15 year old. He'll be debuting in the Bundesliga sometime after November when he turns 16.

I don't see the problem with the odd young player playing if they are good enough and are looked after off the pitch. The Shams youth setup is top notch and they have gone through this before with Bazunu, so I wouldn't be concerned.

• Advertisement

So strange. We (Sligo) are starting to dream about Europe. Pats are starting to worry about relegation. They're one point behind us!

I'm far too worried about Harps to have thoughts like that! I can see us giving away a sh*te goal from a set piece to the big Austrian and then failing to break them down for the following 70 minutes. Another Ollie masterclass.

Really hoping to be pleasantly surprised by a comfortable win against Harps for once. It's been years since we had one. If they manage that I'll start believing.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'm far too worried about Harps to have thoughts like that! I can see us giving away a sh*te goal from a set piece to the big Austrian and then failing to break them down for the following 70 minutes. Another Ollie masterclass.

Really hoping to be pleasantly surprised by a comfortable win against Harps for once. It's been years since we had one. If they manage that I'll start believing.
    I don't expect to get Europe but it's nice to be able to dream again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

joeysoap wrote: »
    Yep, there’s plenty of underage football.at least 16 should be the rule. Somewhere in my mind I recall bohs playing a youngster in a friendly against Chelsea, but I can’t remember his age.

14 year old Evan Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Where is he now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

NIMAN wrote: »
    Where is he now?

Still at Bohs. Lighting it up at U17 level, was linked with a move to Brighton before the pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Just to warn you we signed another lanky striker midweek....
    But sure ye can always turn off the floodlights again if ye are afraid of losing a lead ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

why did georgie kelly leave Dundalk?

Well thank Christ that plan didn't come to fruition. Can't imagine that happening to my side.

https://twitter.com/noriordan/status/1302134034739408896

Interesting info at the end of the article about their interest in other grounds around the country, but their interest was dependent on the grounds being rezoned for housing or commercial use. Further evidence they really couldn't care less about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The entire population of Dundalk wouldn't fill the Aviva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Further evidence they really couldn't care less about football.

If anyone was thick enough to believe an American investment fund cared about anything other than their own profits, there's not much hope for them.

• Advertisement

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0903/1163066-ac-milan-fans-shamrock-rovers/

RTÉ wants us to sympathise with AC Milan supporters? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Zebra3 wrote: »

Especially this one :pac:

Another member is Alexander Fay from Dublin’s inner city.

Alexander said: "It’s disappointing but it’s nice to know that the team will be here.

"It’s the first time since 1975 that we played an Irish team. The last one was Athlone Town and that was 0-0 so we’re due a win against an Irish team."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Sure didn't his grandfather move over to Milan for work in the 60's. Who else would he support?

I wonder will RTE talk to any of the thousands of Shams fans who are also going to miss out on one of the biggest matches in the clubs modern history? I doubt it for some reason.

I understood the story from the point of view of a Milanese person moving here and the unlikely scenario of their team drawing an Irish team in Europe. This doesn't translate to some randomer who probably supports them because they beat Liverpool in the 2007 Champions League final and it pissed off his schoolmates.

dan1895 wrote: »
    I understood the story from the point of view of a Milanese person moving here and the unlikely scenario of their team drawing an Irish team in Europe. This doesn't translate to some randomer who probably supports them because they beat Liverpool in the 2007 Champions League final and it pissed off his schoolmates.

That's it really, most of them seem like Italian expats who just wanted to meet up to watch their clubs matches together which is fair enough. But it is annoying when the national broadcaster focuses on them rather than the Irish people supporting an Irish club (even if it is Shams) who will also miss out on the opportunity to go to the game particularly when RTE has had loads of GAA fluff pieces about the GAA lad who can't go to matches and what a terrible shame that is because he hasn't missed a match for something like 700 years etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dan1895 wrote: »

Ye it's a fairly mind boggling thing with the Irish lads.... Fabio is a gent though, I work the chap - he has a soft spot for Shels too because of me and another Red! Proper Milan fan and runs the Dublin Fans Club.

Get them over to Tolka when it's back open. Although they can leave the Milan colours at home :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There's only one Rossoneri in this city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is Rovers v Bohs on RTE

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Is Rovers v Bohs on RTE

Nope, it's on one of the Eir Sports channel so it's not on WATCHLOI either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

kksaints wrote: »
    I wonder will RTE talk to any of the thousands of Shams fans who are also going to miss out on one of the biggest matches in the clubs modern history? I doubt it for some reason.

No camera crews allowed into mount joy at the moment.

Nope, it's on one of the Eir Sports channel so it's not on WATCHLOI either.

EIR should be put out of business. A desperately poor company. I’ve got Virgin EIR refused to pay on an agreed deal between Virgin and EIR and Virgin Sports I think was taken off EIR, in retaliation EIR is no longer on Virgin providers so customers of both are disenfranchised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

TheCitizen wrote: »
    EIR should be put out of business. A desperately poor company. I’ve got Virgin EIR refused to pay on an agreed deal between Virgin and EIR and Virgin Sports I think was taken off EIR, in retaliation EIR is no longer on Virgin providers so customers of both are disenfranchised.

Did eir stream the rugby last night on Facebook, would they not do that for the football tonight

Cape Clear wrote: »
    No camera crews allowed into mount joy at the moment.

Mountjoy is Bohs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Mountjoy is Bohs.

You'd take any victory atm ;)

Bohs hard done by. Two penalty shouts turned down, especially the first one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

One goal from open play for Bohs in seven derbies. Looks like they can beat everyone but Rovers now. Almost a hoodoo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

How is it that oul Phibsboro ditty used to go ...." Its happened again,Its happened again.....". Havent heard it for a while now in fairness.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Lovely early goal for Shels and our usual unattractive dogged football frustrates Cork for the rest of the half. We'll know in a hour in turns out well for us

• Advertisement

Ridiculous goal for Shels to give away there. They threw away several chances to increase the lead before that.

Appalling goalkeeping from McCabe to make it 1-1. We have wasted opportunities on the counter so can't complain at the scoreline

If anyone was thick enough to believe an American investment fund cared about anything other than their own profits, there's not much hope for them.

Sadly many in Dundalk did at one point based on what I seen on twitter and orielweb. Most have woken up to the reality by now.

Any Dundalk fan who can be pro Peak6 after reading that Neil O'Riordan piece isn't a proper LOI man. They were looking to buy Drogs, Cobh's and Wexford's ground, kick them out and build housing there instead. Disgusting.

It'll all collapse at some point but Dundalk's fans should be eternally thankful that the Casey family refused to sell Oriel to them or they'd be homeless.

Sadly many in Dundalk did at one point based on what I seen on twitter and orielweb. Most have woken up to the reality by now.

Any Dundalk fan who can be pro Peak6 after reading that Neil O'Riordan piece isn't a proper LOI man. They were looking to buy Drogs, Cobh's and Wexford's ground, kick them out and build housing there instead. Disgusting.

It'll all collapse at some point but Dundalk's fans should be eternally thankful that the Casey family refused to sell Oriel to them or they'd be homeless.

Can't imagine a housing estate would be granted planning permission where Wexford's ground is!

Good game between Shels and Cork. Shels have had a lot of chances to win it and somehow failed to score a second.

1-1 fair result. Frustrating, you restrict Cork with most of their possession to nothing but half chances and then your keeper who has had nothing serious to deal with all day drops a howler on miss hit cross while you spurn four great chances on the counter that should have resulted in at least two goals by smashing the ball as straight as possible into McNulty's hands

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Shels inability to get a second was duly punished.
    A truly awful goal to give away, shocking really.

Simpson did well and caused a lot of problems and provided an outlet.
    McGlade was good, his play, movement and close control is quite similar to Grealish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Ohmeha wrote: »
    1-1 fair result. Frustrating, you restrict Cork with most of their possession to nothing but half chances and then your keeper who has had nothing serious to deal with all day drops a howler on miss hit cross while you spurn four great chances on the counter that should have resulted in at least two goals by smashing the ball as straight as possible into McNulty's hands

It really wasn't, Shels should have won that by 2 or 3. We were absolutely haunted to get the point. But I'll take it all day long.

Can't imagine a housing estate would be granted planning permission where Wexford's ground is!

Someone from Peak6 probably thought it was in the middle of the town....

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    It really wasn't, Shels should have won that by 2 or 3. We were absolutely haunted to get the point. But I'll take it all day long.
    Shels didn't deserve 3 points when our keeper protected by his hard working defense all day literally hands the opposition a comical goal and then we panic in front of goal four times that you would expect junior level footballers to convert at minimum one of those chances. Cork considering having a full-time squad with UK professional imports are absolutely shocking to be pleased with a 1-1 draw in the midst of a relegation battle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We were lucky in end. Kept ball bit better though but it's still going be struggle to remain in Premier Division

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement