Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We were lucky in end. Kept ball bit better though but it's still going be struggle to remain in Premier Division

We will probably have to rely on others being marginally more shít than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Oat23 wrote: »
    Sadly many in Dundalk did at one point based on what I seen on twitter and orielweb.

I'd guess, and like to think, that a significant minority of Dundalk supporters were uneasy with their club being sold to venture capitalists.

Not necessarily the type of fans who'd be loudest on the internet, but hopefully the type that would be active in the real world and inclined to set up a supporters' trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Sadly many in Dundalk did at one point based on what I seen on twitter and orielweb. Most have woken up to the reality by now.

Any Dundalk fan who can be pro Peak6 after reading that Neil O'Riordan piece isn't a proper LOI man. They were looking to buy Drogs, Cobh's and Wexford's ground, kick them out and build housing there instead. Disgusting.

It'll all collapse at some point but Dundalk's fans should be eternally thankful that the Casey family refused to sell Oriel to them or they'd be homeless.

Have a look at some of the smoke that was blown up the holes of Peak on this forum alone.
    Very hard to have sympathy for anyone involved with Dundalk that bought a load of American spoof.
    The headline here is Dundalk had €3 million + in the bank which was more than enough to do decent work on Oriel Park. Instead, they spent it on player wages hoping lightening would strike twice.
    On a side note, I didn't know the FAI remortgaged United Park, Mcsharry Park and other grounds to service debt. Worrying that these assets are now in the hands of Bank of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Have a look at some of the smoke that was blown up the holes of Peak on this forum alone.
    Very hard to have sympathy for anyone involved with Dundalk that bought a load of American spoof.
    The headline here is Dundalk had €3 million + in the bank which was more than enough to do decent work on Oriel Park. Instead, they spent it on player wages hoping lightening would strike twice.
    On a side note, I didn't know the FAI remortgaged United Park, Mcsharry Park and other grounds to service debt. Worrying that these assets are now in the hands of Bank of Ireland.

But but but, they filled in a pot hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Drogheda are supposedly getting a new council owned ground so if United Park is remortgaged the bank have a valuable property on their books. Sort off in town too, ideally placed for apartments.

Haven’t seen anything yet about Peak6 walking.only speculation from Irish
    papers.

Admittedly it’s not the ideal setup

But support is and will remain strong,

to quote another organisation

We haven’t gone away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    It really wasn't, Shels should have won that by 2 or 3. We were absolutely haunted to get the point. But I'll take it all day long.

We should have had the game dead and buried by HT... Our lack of a clinical striker has definitely been our biggest issue this season - something a lot of us said at the start of the season would be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Niall Quinn leaving his role at the FAI

Can’t blame him, who wants a headache every day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Rovers 1 up. Harps are such a filthy team. No interest in playing football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

shanec1928 wrote: »

They play to their strengths. Have to do what you have to do to survive.

That Austrian lad is dangerous. Can't let them put too many balls into the box. Obviously Folan is dangerous as well given he has played for us, which increases his chances of scoring. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

shanec1928 wrote: »

They rarely show an interest in playing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Lol we actually played the better football for the first hour. Sligo kept mostly to counters.

Deserved most of the cards however and self destructed. I'd say junior jumped into coyle for his sending off but the rest was niggle/late **** we had for the most part cut out. For some reason it took the ref over a minute to decide he would send sadiki off too. Waited they were about to take the peno and he took his place at the edge of the box.

To quote the housemate, "if Sligo are third, this is a poor league".

Harps will finish some game with no one booked including Ollie, Cabo imploding, Cobh better than I thought at start of year. Galway getting their act together, UCD back to earth

overshoot wrote: »
    Lol we actually played the better football for the first hour. Sligo kept mostly to counters.

Deserved most of the cards however and self destructed. I'd say junior jumped into coyle for his sending off but the rest was niggle/late **** we had for the most part cut out. For some reason it took the ref over a minute to decide he would send sadiki off too. Waited they were about to take the peno and he took his place at the edge of the box.

No disputing the league is sh*te this season. Shams will win it by default. You didn't 'keep' us mostly to counters though. That is how we like to play. We had the lead and we have a pacey front 4. We like countering quickly.

Including Ollie there were 10 yellows and 3 reds issued to Harps tonight. Can't remember ever seeing a team get that many cards before.
    Next time Harps come to the showgrounds I'll make sure there's a seat behind the Harps dugout with Ollie Horgan printed on it like we do for our gold ST holders who can reserve their favourite seat :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Ah come off it. How are we expected to play good football when harps players are fouling us every time we touch the ball? Game plan was obviously to foul Junior as often as possible. It was clear as day from the opening minutes that you wouldn't end up with 11.

Not sure about Harps playing better football either. The only threat from them was the long throw.

Anyways, good win for us. Great performance from Junior despite the fouls. Murray did really well when he came on which is great to see. Man of the match performance from Niall Morahan, he's putting these in every week now. The best prospect we've had in many years.

• Advertisement

Including Ollie there were 10 yellows and 3 reds issued to Harps tonight. Can't remember ever seeing a team get that many cards before.
    Next time Harps come to the showgrounds I'll make sure there's a seat behind the Harps dugout with Ollie Horgan printed on it like we do for our gold ST holders who can reserve their favourite seat :pac:
    Not sure Ollie will still be there next time they're back.

Ah come off it. How are we expected to play good football when harps players are fouling us every time we touch the ball? Game plan was obviously to foul Junior as often as possible. It was clear as day from the opening minutes that you wouldn't end up with 11.

Not sure about Harps playing better football either. The only threat from them was the long throw.

Ah bless. Junior is hardly short the dark arts the way he threw himself into coyle to buy the first sending off... And a quick look at rte report would say where the chances were coming from before that point. McGinty did well for his save.

Shouldn't have bee so surprised Doyle took over a minute to give sadiki his second yellow (when the Sligo player was about to hit it too). Took him 10minutes to overturn our goal against cork. Disaster of a ref.

Ah bless. Junior is hardly short the dark arts the way he threw himself into coyle to buy the first sending off... And a quick look at rte report would say where the chances were coming from before that point. McGinty did well for his save.

Ah stop. He knocked it past Coyle who then impeded his run. Easy yellow card.

giphy.gif

Shouldn't have bee so surprised Doyle took over a minute to give sadiki his second yellow (when the Sligo player was about to hit it too). Took him 10minutes to overturn our goal against cork. Disaster of a ref.

To me it looked like Sadike was given a 2nd yellow for f*cking about and standing in the box before Coughlan took his penalty, not for the foul.

kkGLJAB.png

So how many steps does coyle take supposidly moving to impeded him after junior plays it? His left foot never leaves the ground.

And video for one not the other? He had just walked up, can't say I've seen a ref throw out a card like that before but Doyle does like confetti

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ah stop. He knocked it past Coyle who then impeded his run. Easy yellow card.

Very soft. He runs into him, the Sligo player is trying to run through him. It's arguably even a foul.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    Very soft. He runs into him, the Sligo player is trying to run through him. It's arguably even a foul.

It was 100% a foul. I don't know how that is even debatable. He knocked the ball past him and was then blocked from running onto it and putting in a cross. Coyle might not have dived into a tackle but he was outplayed and then impeded the opponent. It happens in every game of football and is always a foul.

That was Coyle's 4th or 5th foul. He deserved another yellow for repeat offenses alone even if you don't consider the actual foul itself worthy of a yellow.

When the player doesn't move into his path he hasn't obstructed him it's pretty simple. You realise he isn't obliged to get out of his way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Looking forward to all the penalties we'll be getting at the weekend. Knock the ball past a player right in front of you and then run into him.

Lovely. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

So how many steps does coyle take supposidly moving to impeded him after junior plays it? His left foot never leaves the ground.

And video for one not the other? He had just walked up, can't say I've seen a ref throw out a card like that before but Doyle does like confetti

Well you have the ref wrong . It was rob Harvey not Doyle.

Yeah that's a blatant foul. It was just a matter of time til the first red came anyway so it doesn't even matter.

Harps came to play a dirty game and left with no points and a few suspensions. Very much what they deserved.

Wasn’t Harvey the ref?

Oops see Dr. Bree got there first

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Looking forward to all the penalties we'll be getting at the weekend. Knock the ball past a player right in front of you and then run into him.

Lovely. :pac:

Except if your Liam Scales. First was stonewall second I’m not 100% sure, but if it was a foul in Sligo ...........

joeysoap wrote: »
    Wasn’t Harvey the ref?

He was my bad

Given all the neutrals are coming down my side on that decision think I'll say we put it on a platter for Sligo with our discipline and the ref completely bought junior and handed it to them at the key point.
    Can't see any Sligo fans changing their mind but I guess cheers for the video and getting the neutrals onside for me! To the next match

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Mandroiu to Rovers almost a done deal according to Tony O'Donoghue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

https://twitter.com/charleenmurphyy/status/1302366217349541890?s=20

seems some people werent happy with Daniel on saturday, maybe it was over him potentially leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I would have thought Mandroiu plays in a position that Rovers are quite strong in and may not be the most obvious signing to make, but 'IF' Jack Byrne heads across the water at the end of the season theres a big gap to fill & maybe the intention is to slot him in there. Though a lot of these rumours seem to start around the time contracts are up, throw Rovers name in the mix to get a few extra quid on the new contract seems to be the usual way of things so would be very surprised if this actually happened. Not fussed either way, would prefer to get Grant if given the pick of the bohs squad myself.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Be massively disappointed if Dano ends up at another LOI club, especially Rovers, but something is definitely up. Thought he was bound for bigger things.

All this stuff about fans ringing him on his personal phone, giving his girlfriend grief on social media is probably behind all this. I don't understand why people think it's ok to do this? That his personal life. It's not just football, it seems to be a feature of modern life that anyone in the public eye personal life's are fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Ah piss off Mandriou !! Can’t believe he’s gonna go to rovers after what bohs and Long have done for him over the past couple of seasons .

Got his career back up and running, back into the international set up and in the shop window for a move back across the water and he ****s off to rovers . What a kick in the balls.

I suppose that’s football and loyalty is a thing of the past.

If it’s true though it kind of demonstrates that there is a ceiling to what bohs can do or where they can go with a part time set up in comparison to bohs and rovers .

Either way , bohs will march on, better players than Mandriou have left . Just hope it’s not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

tastyt wrote: »
    Ah piss off Mandriou !

it's more like pissed off Mandriou. Seems like a big falling out here between him and staff. Also getting abusive calls from fans doesn't help things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

it's more like pissed off Mandriou. Seems like a big falling out here between him and staff. Also getting abusive calls from fans doesn't help things.

I agree , the abusive phone calls are not on and whoever is doing it is a moron

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Scumbags ringing him. He does seem to be a bit of a drama queen though, we are doing just fine without him and we've lost better players and still improved year on year so if he wants to leave that's his loss rather than ours I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

How are people finding WatchLOI now? The novelty has wore off for me pretty quickly. Can't fault the service but not being able to attend games is meaning I'm losing interest. The European coverage on TV seems very poor too. No mention of TV coverage for the AC Milan tie as of yet. LOI really could do with fans back. Rovers Bohs at the weekend had very little hype/marketing. Understandable to an extent but it was a top of the table derby clash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I think not having the derby at the weekend was a real negative, I genuinely think that if you were subscribed in place of having a club ST you should have been allowed see it despite the arrangements with EIR.

On that note, how many more games will EIT coverage mess up?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

DvB wrote: »
    I think not having the derby at the weekend was a real negative, I genuinely think that if you were subscribed in place of having a club ST you should have been allowed see it despite the arrangements with EIR.

On that note, how many more games will EIT coverage mess up?

100%. At the very least Rovers season ticket holders should have been able to watch it via watchloi. They'd already paid for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

wadacrack wrote: »
    How are people finding WatchLOI now? The novelty has wore off for me pretty quickly. Can't fault the service but not being able to attend games is meaning I'm losing interest. The European coverage on TV seems very poor too. No mention of TV coverage for the AC Milan tie as of yet. LOI really could do with fans back. Rovers Bohs at the weekend had very little hype/marketing. Understandable to an extent but it was a top of the table derby clash.

I'm really enjoying it. I don't watch every game and yes the lack of the Derby was disappointing but the ability to just sit down and watch a LOI match when I want to is fantastic and while it's not the same as going to matches is certainly helps and is far better than the current alternatives of no LOI matches at all or relying on RTE or Eir to show them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Don't understand why Eir are so pushed about exclusivity for LOI games.
    Their head of sport said before they just see it as filler in the same kind of category as AIL rugby games and the smaller club GAA games.
    It's not like there's a whole load of people subscribing to Eir because of their LOI coverage. It barely gets a mention in any of their ads that's if its even mentioned at all.

e
    howiya wrote: »
    100%. At the very least Rovers season ticket holders should have been able to watch it via watchloi. They'd already paid for the game.

Not quite 100%. Dundalk vs Shels not on on Friday :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Be massively disappointed if Dano ends up at another LOI club, especially Rovers, but something is definitely up. Thought he was bound for bigger things.

All this stuff about fans ringing him on his personal phone, giving his girlfriend grief on social media is probably behind all this. I don't understand why people think it's ok to do this? That his personal life. It's not just football, it seems to be a feature of modern life that anyone in the public eye personal life's are fair game.

Ringing him not on but going on social media and making a tool of himself and his attention craving partner means he will get little sympathy form most.

Living abroad for 6 years now so I've seen more games in the last two months than I have in 6 years. I'm delighted to have it and really hoping it's retained for next season.

I definitely can fault the service though. It could be a higher quality, given its a paid platform. For example I missed the start of the Rovers-Harps game on Monday and didn't see De Vries opening goal until it was posted on Twitter after the game. Surely we could have replays at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Rovers Bohs at the weekend had very little hype/marketing. Understandable to an extent but it was a top of the table derby clash.

It was a top of the table clash but it's not a derby, in any meaningful sense, without supporters in the stadium.

No amount of hype or spam could turn a professional kickabout in an empty ground into a proper derby.

tastyt wrote: »

I suppose that’s football and loyalty is a thing of the past.

Loyalty in football is a one-way street though. Fans expect players & manager to be loyal to their club, but don't show the same loyalty when things are going bad for their team. They want player x out of the team / club or manager y having his head called for.

The sooner the better fans accept the reality of the situation and see that if a better job offer comes in, the player / manager is gonna take it. Like everyone of us would do.

On the WatchLOI streaming service, I would be gutted if it wasn't around next year. Even though I'm hoping that we'll be back in Dalymount, being able to see the away games alone would be brilliant - rather than refreshing the extratime.ie live text! Not sure I can go back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Loyalty in football is a one-way street though. Fans expect players & manager to be loyal to their club, but don't show the same loyalty when things are going bad for their team. They want player x out of the team / club or manager y having his head called for.

The sooner the better fans accept the reality of the situation and see that if a better job offer comes in, the player / manager is gonna take it. Like everyone of us would do.

On the WatchLOI streaming service, I would be gutted if it wasn't around next year. Even though I'm hoping that we'll be back in Dalymount, being able to see the away games alone would be brilliant - rather than refreshing the extratime.ie live text! Not sure I can go back!

A lot of the time the club sell a player and pretend its the player who wants to leave when they don't. Craig bellemy was hated by west ham fans for leaving when he didnt want to go, it was the club who wanted to sell him but they knew the fans didnt want him to go so they said craig wanted out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement