Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

That is shocking

So poor I haven't a clue who some of those flags are

The FAI are without to blame but the national broadcasters disregard for the league and fawning over GAA and rugby makes it worse.

And of course Joe publics indifference to our league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

tastyt wrote: »
    That is shocking

The FAI are without to blame but the national broadcasters disregard for the league and fawning over GAA and rugby makes it worse.

And of course Joe publics indifference to our league

Bulgaria
    Finland
    Iceland
    Slovenia
    Liechtenstein
    Bosnia
    Don't know
    Kosovo
    Albania
    Lithuania
    And then us.

Edit, Faroe Islands is the one I missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

A €1.1 million TV deal for the Icelandic league shows what can be achieved.
    That would be nearly €60,000 a year more in the pockets of every league club here. Clubs have went to the wall over less debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MD1990 wrote: »
    Caufield has a bit to answer.
    They signed far too many players for the 2018 season. 3 RB's among others.
    Sheppard probably on a big contract as well after Dundalk were interested.

Managers will spend whatever budget they are given.

Financial responsibility lies with those running a club.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City have tough start to the league. I'm confident we have a nice sprinkling of players capable of keeping us up, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

According to some posters on here the clubs accepted JDs version and while not ecstatic about it, accepted it. Until Peak6 came along. And we know JD was not happy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

dreamers75 wrote: »

That Kieran from Kerry seems to be all about TV and data at the heart of football, strange that. He lists "dependency on gate receipts" as a negative aspect of the LOI and a contributor to its "boom/bust pattern", which is a completely backwards interpretation. Pay television deals are the single biggest contributor to the boom-bust nature of modern football economics.

It's no surprise to see a bloodsucking agent congratulating that post either, football agents absolutely love television deals. They know exactly where the Cork Citys of this world would spend the extra income.

tastyt wrote: »
    That is shocking

The Bulgarian flag is sitting at the top of that "shocking" list, so maybe a quick wikipedia search is in order. Reads like a f*cking car crash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Professional_Football_League_(Bulgaria)#Media_coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

joeysoap wrote: »
    According to some posters on here the clubs accepted JDs version and while not ecstatic about it, accepted it. Until Peak6 came along. And we know JD was not happy about that.

Certain clubs who would have been seen as being traditionally powerful allowed themselves be bought off by JD and their mates at the high table. They kept their mouth shut to ensure their own projects were financed and lobbied for, not giving a flying feck about the rest of the league. Self serving you would say.....played the game to get themselves sorted.

Today you can read in the papers that approx. €1 million is potentially owed to clubs by way of funding that was never received. This is how JD kept clubs at all levels in order...he kept them poor and drip fed them.

Dundalks former owners were put under extreme pressure by the FAI before Peak6 arrived. This stemmed from the fact that the lease for Oriel Park was not in the owners or clubs name at the time. As a result they could not kick very much, indeed they used their private company and took out sponsorship for low level Irish internationals to keep the FAI sweet knowing the clubs licence could be revoked at any time, add to that at the end the FAI had nearly €2 million resting in their accounts belonging to the club and it didnt make for a strong position for any LOI club to be in.
    All changed when Peak6 came into the game, before the takeover was completed they insisted on all monies being in the club accounts, hence JD writing cheques and begging for €650k internally to keep the show on the road we are lead to believe. Peak6 then together with 2 other non Dublin based clubs went after the TV rights issue and another few things which will I am sure come to light very soon. Peak6 are by no way heros or savours in all of this, however they had the muscle needed to stand up to JD/FAI and force answers to be given. They also had no history or mates at the table so they could not be silenced.

• Advertisement

What's your point with "non-Dublin clubs"?

Do you think there's some sort of conspiracy about?

Why don't you just name the clubs that you say stood up to Delaney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Zebra3 wrote: »

Why don't you just name the clubs that you say stood up to Delaney?

Derry and Pats in the public world.

Rest were just sheep as has been proven.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Derry and Pats in the public world.

Rest were just sheep as has been proven.

So it wasn't two non-Dublin clubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So it wasn't two non-Dublin clubs?

that doesnt fit in with his narrative :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Dundalk v Rovers looks as if its heading towards a sell-out which is great to see, on a positive note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Graham Burke out for Friday apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Sounds like it could be a huge attendance in Tallaght on Friday. Main stand sold out, 200 left for the South Stand, East stand on sale too and we are still over 48 hours out from the game. Will Dundalk sell all of their allocation? Really looking forward to it, will be my first game since the cup final, may only be the 4th game of the season but will be a big game in the title race.

Sounds like it could be a huge attendance in Tallaght on Friday. Main stand sold out, 200 left for the South Stand, East stand on sale too and we are still over 48 hours out from the game. Will Dundalk sell all of their allocation? Really looking forward to it, will be my first game since the cup final, may only be the 4th game of the season but will be a big game in the title race.

Titles are not won this early in the year.....dont forget what you lads lost last year. points wise...;);)

Will be a good game however which I expect Rovers to edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Main stand is West and away section is half of the East, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

To be fair if this game doesnt bring out a full house (or close to it) i'd be concerned. I think its clear it'll be these two clubs battling it out for the title & whilst titles are not won in these early days the foundation block are most certainly laid & should it be as tight as we'd hope at the end every point could be priceless.
    Can see it being a draw myself, that or Dundalk (& their black arts) to nick it. Think Burke will be a big loss to Rovers.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Main stand is West and away section is half of the East, right?

Correct

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

DvB wrote: »
    To be fair if this game doesnt bring out a full house (or close to it) i'd be concerned. I think its clear it'll be these two clubs battling it out for the title & whilst titles are not won in these early days the foundation block are most certainly laid & should it be as tight as we'd hope at the end every point could be priceless.
    Can see it being a draw myself, that or Dundalk (& their black arts) to nick it. Think Burke will be a big loss to Rovers.

Dundalk lacking creativity in midfield without McEleney. He's a massive loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Dundalk lacking creativity in midfield without McEleney. He's a massive loss

What are the new lads Patching and Smith like? Haven't seen a lot of McEleney since he has come back but he hasn't impressed me as much as before he left. Have I just caught him on an off day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Looking forward to this game.

2 good footballing sides.

What’s capacity in Tallaght now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

sugarman wrote: »
    8,000 ...but really max 7,800 ish with the segregation in the East stand.

Will be biggest crowd at LOI in some time so I reckon

• Advertisement

Is it sold out now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Still a few tickets available in the East stand. West and South sold out. As is Dundalks away allocation.

No its not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Are you sure? There wasnt any returned from what I heard.

They are expected to sell out, there are less than 100 left out of the 1,000 we received.

What are the new lads Patching and Smith like? Haven't seen a lot of McEleney since he has come back but he hasn't impressed me as much as before he left. Have I just caught him on an off day?

Early days yet. Smith seems to be starting with Patching coming on. Murray, McEleney, Mountney and Kelly injured. Sloggett appears a good signing as does Leahy. Seeing a bit more of Flores this year.

Will be surprised if Boyle doesn’t start tomorrow night.

8,000 ...but really max 7,800 ish with the segregation in the East stand.

Not to mention the few hundred seats cordoned off down the front of the south stand, so the stewards can stand at a barrier on the steps and piss people off while taking in a match. A layer of plexiglass would pretty much remove the chance of pitch invasions.

Stadio_Manuzzi_senza_vetrate_in_Tribuna.jpg

• Advertisement

Great to see the FAI and RTE doing all they can to promote the LOI....yet again live stream on RTE Player is blocked by rights issues.....you know the rights that it never gave for the LOI...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

What a strike by Flores! 1-1.

Seriously well hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

the height Flores hit that at was incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Unreal goal from Flores. Reminded me of one Gareth Bale got against Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Quite a while sinced I screamed at a goal being scored...what a hit (and I've no skin in the game at all)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Touches of Zidane '02 about that one.
    Although Zidane was infront of the goal so Flores' was probably better because he was at more of an angel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Cracking game this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Those sideline interviews are pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Had to laugh at the attempt to show if Greene's chance being offside, show an angle from behind the goal..

That goal was something, having to jump to reach it still having the control and accuracy to smash it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Technically I think that's probably the best goal I've seen in our beauty of a league. Look forward to it doing the rounds in gif form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Some scenes in turner's cross. Harps scored a goal after a goal mouth scramble. City keeper Bossin took a whack in the process and stayed down. While being treated the referee consulted with the linesman and about 3 minutes after giving the goal he disallowed it for a free out. Harps players going nuts. #GreatestLeagueintheWorld

So good we should all look again.....
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1233488529436692480

And just to prove...the lad can hit them...
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1233488529436692480

CmonTheTown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Come on Shels one up try and keep the defense sorted too

Better than the goal he scored on Monday against city, but he did score a screamer last year too. Sorry can’t separate it- it’s at 3:00

https://youtu.be/KTVZCnGxGgM

That Dundalk goal is one of the best I've ever seen.

And not just in our league.

Outrageous stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Class finish by Hoban. 3 in 3

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Why is it so hard to find a stream outside of Ireland for the game?

City 1 up

• Advertisement

Byrne with a cracker!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement