Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

They reckon on the news some kind of restrictions are going to be announced for Dublin this evening.
    Will this effect the LOI teams, especially Rovers who play AC Milan in 7 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭CSF

They reckon on the news some kind of restrictions are going to be announced for Dublin this evening.

Would be surprised considering no crowds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

CSF wrote: »
    Would be surprised considering no crowds.

When they locked down Laois Offally and Kildare the didn' allow GAA or sports to take place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Its's been clearly flagged it be household restrictions and not a lockdown, sports will continue with the existing arrangements in place

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

pgj2015 wrote: »
    A lot of the time the club sell a player and pretend its the player who wants to leave when they don't. Craig bellemy was hated by west ham fans for leaving when he didnt want to go, it was the club who wanted to sell him but they knew the fans didnt want him to go so they said craig wanted out.

There's an inherent trust from Bohs fans of the management team, if they don't want a player, they don't have to pretend that it's the player that wants to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭CSF

When they locked down Laois Offally and Kildare the didn' allow GAA or sports to take place

Yeah but we’re Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Rovers v Milan will be on RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Wigan supposedly talking to John Sheridan to become their new manager. They are currently losing players left, right and centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Corholio wrote: »
    Wigan supposedly talking to John Sheridan to become their new manager. They are currently losing players left, right and centre.

Would be a forward thinking appointment considering Wigan will be playing in a pub league in a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Danny Grant named SSE Airtricity League Player of the Month for August ahead of Ronan Coughlan and Pico Lopes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Elite sporting activity was still allowed, as was people going to work.

Dublin LOI teams won't be stopped playing by any Covid restrictions announced today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sheridan joining Wigan it looks like. Might still be managing Waterford tomorrow and then joining Wigan to manage them on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

See Rob Hennessy refereeing a European match tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Rennie would hardly go back to Waterford would he if he was approached?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

deisedude wrote: »
    Rennie would hardly go back to Waterford would he if he was approached?

More chance of Perth....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

More chance of Perth....

I doubt Perth would go near it. He probably has his fill of lunatic owners

deisedude wrote: »
    I doubt Perth would go near it. He probably has his fill of lunatic owners

Might want to prove a point and get back into the game quickly.

Might want to prove a point and get back into the game quickly.
    It sounded like Perth was paid up for the remainder of his Dundalk contract which was until the end of this season so he may not be be technically free to move to another club. Considering Perth's difficulties with Peak6 I don't think Perth and Lee Power would be a suitable combination

Ohmeha wrote: »
    It sounded like Perth was paid up for the remainder of his Dundalk contract which was until the end of this season so he may not be be technically free to move to another club. Considering Perth's difficulties with Peak6 I don't think Perth and Lee Power would be a suitable combination

Sounded to me like he was remaining on the payroll until the end of his contract. If a new club came in he would surely be free to move once he agrees to walk away from his current contract.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think Alan Pardew might still be getting paid at Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭cms88

Corholio wrote: »

I oftern wonder how lads like him keep still getting jobs. He's record of jumping ship the first sign of trouble is there for all to see, so why clubs still take a chance with him i don't know.

Still he wasn’t unemployed between jobs

And he was right ( unfortunately) about Vinny.

On that note there’s an interview with Filipe in tonights match program vs Shels. He can certainly talk the part.

I’m glad to see Shels back. Shels had won the league 13 times before relegation in 2013. And I like Tolka. Great club.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

joeysoap wrote: »
    Still he wasn’t unemployed between jobs

And he was right ( unfortunately) about Vinny.

On that note there’s an interview with Filipe in tonights match program vs Shels. He can certainly talk the part.

I’m glad to see Shels back. Shels had won the league 13 times before relegation in 2013. And I like Tolka. Great club.

Missing popping into the Cat & Cage on an away trip, always liked going to Tolka.

The first ground I attended in Dublin was in Milltown but I attended with my dad. The first match I attended unaccompanied was in Tolka, I felt all grown up :)

And( who was there) will ever forget the (first) 2002 cup final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Pity common sense wouldnt prevail and a Gaa /football ground share couldnt work with that new ground in Dundalk announced today.

• Advertisement

damemcd wrote: »
    Pity common sense wouldnt prevail and a Gaa /football ground share couldnt work with that new ground in Dundalk announced today.

Dundalk FC, Dundalk Rugby Club and DKIT all agreed on a municipal stadium but of course the GAA didn't want to share with other sports so the project collapsed. It would've been ideal and a much better use of tax payers money. The GAA shouldn't get a cent of tax payers money for the new stadium after rejecting the original plan........

joeysoap wrote: »
    The first ground I attended in Dublin was in Milltown but I attended with my dad. The first match I attended unaccompanied was in Tolka, I felt all grown up :)

And( who was there) will ever forget the (first) 2002 cup final?

Gary Haylock :)

What a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Dundalk FC, Dundalk Rugby Club and DKIT all agreed on a municipal stadium but of course the GAA didn't want to share with other sports so the project collapsed. It would've been ideal and a much better use of tax payers money. The GAA shouldn't get a cent of tax payers money for the new stadium after rejecting the original plan........

The length of pitch might of had something to do with it but your points is valid. Any large scale sports project that receives public money should have 2 to 3 uses. Maybe put greyhounds, athletics & GAA in the same venue or Soccer, Rugby, cricket/ rounders whatever.

A new stadium with 4,000 seats And 10,000 standing ? I know Louth GAA doesn’t set the world fire, but 4,000 seats is poor. And 70 car spaces ( I know there’s a lot more ( private) nearby - Dunnes neighborhood, Dkit sports conplex and apple green will be open by then.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    The length of pitch might of had something to do with it but your points is valid. Any large scale sports project that receives public money should have 2 to 3 uses. Maybe put greyhounds, athletics & GAA in the same venue or Soccer, Rugby, cricket/ rounders whatever.

The greyhound and horse racing already share a stadium in Dundalk but you have a good point.

https://www.dundalkstadium.com/

• Advertisement

The mind boggles in this country when in most places you have separate stadiums for football, GAA and rugby, sometimes in towns of less than 50,000.

What's even more galling is that a lot of these single useage GAA stadiums are paid for by the taxpayer, when for the same money you could have a multi sports arena that benefits the whole community instead of white elephants that are used 3 times a summer.

grayzer75 wrote: »

Difference is the GAA have an ex manger/TD and now Louth GAA board member who was doing the deal for them when agreeing to leave Fine Gael quietly. Dundalk FC seriously miss that type of lobbying...or back hander.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bohs 2 down at ht. Waterford doing quite well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The mind boggles in this country when in most places you have separate stadiums for football, GAA and rugby, sometimes in towns of less than 50,000.

What's even more galling is that a lot of these single useage GAA stadiums are paid for by the taxpayer, when for the same money you could have a multi sports arena that benefits the whole community instead of white elephants that are used 3 times a summer.

You can fit the entire population of Kilkenny City into Nowlan Park.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Bohs 2 down at ht. Waterford doing quite well.

Result flattered Bohs, they were dreadful from open play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Has it been confirmed Sheridan is leaving ? Did a decent job albeit only for a couple of months

tastyt wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed Sheridan is leaving ? Did a decent job albeit only for a couple of months

Just been confirmed by Wigan

Dundalk already 1-0 up, long range strike by Duffy but defense stood off him and keeper could have saved it, think it will be a long night for Shels

2-0 Dundalk 10 minutes. Ryan Brennan marking Gartland at corners was a stupid mismatch that shouldn't have happened

2-1 game on again bullet of a header from Dano Byrne

• Advertisement

2-2 penalty converted by Shels, mad game so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lads that young Zefi lad for Shams is unreal for a toddler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

That was a ridiculous penalty decision

If that was a penalty we’d have 20 a match

Paul McLoughlin is a guard in Dundalk and doesn’t want to be accused of favoritism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Dramatic night in Wexford. The first half was fairly even although Bray had possibly more of the possession. But Wexford had the two clearest chances and Fitzsimons scored a nice goal after some good set up play by the Wexford midfield. Second half was a Bray siege of the Wexford box but apart from one scare where the Wexford keeper had to make a great save after a chance by Daly, Wexford were holding on fairly comfortably. However in the 85th minute Bray were awarded a fairly clear penalty after a shove by Yussuf who missed a great chance for Wexford in the first half. He'll regret seeing that again as the tackle didn't really have to be made. Shaw tucked the penalty away nicely and almost straight from kick off Bray scored again with McEvoy heading home a quality cross from Thompson. Bray then scored the third with literally the last kick of the game with Lynch scoring with a well placed shot from outside the box.

Wexford can feel a bit hard done by the result as they had defended well up to the 85th minute but at least it was a much improved performance from their horror show against UCD. Bray get the three points and go top until after the Drogs-Longford match tomorrow at least but for most of the match they struggled to create anything clear cut and spent most of their time hitting up long balls to Gary Shaw. They'd need to improve to win the Division I feel because a performance like that against the Drogs or Longford would end in the defeat.

Top quality stream by Wexford. Lads doing commentary did a fine job and the stream held up very well.

That mistake by Quinn and that predictable sitter from Sheppard cost us a point, disappointing night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,542 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

kksaints wrote: »
    Dramatic night in Wexford. The first half was fairly even although Bray had possibly more of the possession. But Wexford had the two clearest chances and Fitzsimons scored a nice goal after some good set up play by the Wexford midfield. Second half was a Bray siege of the Wexford box but apart from one scare where the Wexford keeper had to make a great save after a chance by Daly, Wexford were holding on fairly comfortably. However in the 85th minute Bray were awarded a fairly clear penalty after a shove by Yussuf who missed a great chance for Wexford in the first half. He'll regret seeing that again as the tackle didn't really have to be made. Shaw tucked the penalty away nicely and almost straight from kick off Bray scored again with McEvoy heading home a quality cross from Thompson. Bray then scored the third with literally the last kick of the game with Lynch scoring with a well placed shot from outside the box.

Wexford can feel a bit hard done by the result as they had defended well up to the 85th minute but at least it was a much improved performance from their horror show against UCD. Bray get the three points and go top until after the Drogs-Longford match tomorrow at least but for most of the match they struggled to create anything clear cut and spent most of their time hitting up long balls to Gary Shaw. They'd need to improve to win the Division I feel because a performance like that against the Drogs or Longford would end in the defeat.

Top quality stream by Wexford. Lads doing commentary did a fine job and the stream held up very well.

Will take the win. Wasnt confident when saw 1-0 with 10 left, more confused when saw 3-1. Nice position to be in at least, decent run of form too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

That was a ridiculous penalty decision

Absolutely bizarre. Would love to know what the ref thought he saw.

For a side that's struggling to score, us to score twice and not getting anything from the game is very disappointing. Goals we gave away too, were terrible. :(

I think it's defo now a case of looking below us instead of looking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Every Sligo Rovers matchday feels like a cup final at the minute. I'm nervous all day before the games.

Pats are desperate for a win to steady the ship. A win for us puts us 3 points off Bohs who we face at the Showgrounds on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Rovers 3-0 FT

Very easy, could have had 6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement