Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The Zlatan one should be taken down. Official sponsors putting up banners goading a player during a game is not acceptable.

Goading?

Christ, the outraged brigade out already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Paddy power used to pull off funny stunts like the two below but this one is so dry and not funny, whoever is responsible should just quit their job and take up something else.

https://www.the42.ie/paddy-power-emergency-ferguson-stunt-1273212-Jan2014/

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/paddy-power-wraps-shop-in-bubble-wrap-for-england-friendly-1.2238765

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Paddy power used to pull off funny stunts like the two below but this one is so dry and not funny, whoever is responsible should just quit their job and take up something else.

https://www.the42.ie/paddy-power-emergency-ferguson-stunt-1273212-Jan2014/

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/paddy-power-wraps-shop-in-bubble-wrap-for-england-friendly-1.2238765

I agree its not funny but the person has you talking about it so i imagine thats exactly what their job spec was

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's no such thing as bad publicity. I'd imagine they have an agreement that pp will pay any fines.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    I agree its not funny but the person has you talking about it so i imagine thats exactly what their job spec was

You would wonder how this would help increase betting in pp, like when they had actual funny stunts, maybe people wanted a bet and said I will go to pp because i like their sense of humor but how will a cringy dry stunt like this increase the number of people who place bets with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Fairly certain these will not be up during the match, and were possibly even removed before Milan had a training session.

It's harmless bit of advertising for PP, which Rovers (presumably SDCC too as they own the ground) will have been paid a nice sum for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Fairly certain these will not be up during the match, and were possibly even removed before Milan had a training session.

It's harmless bit of advertising for PP, which Rovers (presumably SDCC too as they own the ground) will have been paid a nice sum for.

Hardly harmless now is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

dan1895 wrote: »

Embarrassing, but don't think anyone has been harmed.

dan1895 wrote: »

jfzebq4dq7z11.jpg

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    They were still there last night when Milan were training anyway.

That is embarrassing, trying to make fun of one of the best strikers we have seen in the last 20 years. a man who is still banging in goals at a top level at 38 years of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The car one is funny. The other two are daft with the Zlatan one just being embarrassing. Makes Shams look small time to be honest.

Oat23 wrote: »
    The car one is funny. The other two are daft with the Zlatan one just being embarrassing. Makes Shams look small time to be honest.

They are.

They are.

Don't think a Dundalk fan can be saying stuff like this when you're coached by a lad from Samba soccer and your owner wanted to play Brian Gartland as a fly keeper. :D

Don't think a Dundalk fan can be saying stuff like this when you're coached by a lad from Samba soccer and your owner wanted to play Brian Gartland as a fly keeper. :D

All league of Ireland teams are small time in fairness, that is why we have small stadiums, small attendances, players on low wages, 10-20 euro entrance fees etc. some day the league might get the attention it deserves.

I have no faith in the new Dundalk manager by the way and I doubt the players do either, it will end in tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

They are.

Biggest fish in this little pond without question.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Typical PP cringe but I'm sure Rovers won't mind if it means a bit of money in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Typical PP cringe but I'm sure Rovers won't mind if it means a bit of money in the bank.

Jobs done, banners down for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Jobs done, banners down for the game.

Good luck tonight hope you cause an upset!!

1-0 Dundalk. McMillan

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Comfortable game for Dundalk so far but they really need a second goal to finish off the tie. Few of the bigger teams in the champions path side of the draw have been knocked out- FC Astana and Slovan Bratislava

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

ref is brutal. Booking any Dundalk player who moves. Seemed to apologize to Shields for booking.as for the Slogett booking..........:confused:

And as I write he sent Andy Boyle off. Absolutely 3rd class referee.

joeysoap wrote: »
    ref is brutal. Booking any Dundalk player who moves. Seemed to apologize to Ahields for booking.as for the Slogett booking..........

Yeah last 10 mins ref was handing out cards to anyone like it was Christmas.

Embarrassing from Sean Gannon. He brushed his hand against the back of his head :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

Dundalk through 1-0.

Linfield are currently 1-0 down to Floriana of Malta.

If they play like that next week they’ll be slaughtered. Brutal ref or not.

Hard to know what to make of that performance from Dundalk.

First half dominated possession and created a few chances but let down by poor finishing.

Second half ref went completely trigger happy with cards and sent Boyle off while the Andorrans were playing very cynically and we hung on in the end. Need a massive improvement against Sheriff Tiraspol next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Early days obviously and no real test as of yet, but how have Dundalk played under the new lad? Any improvement in general play over Perth?

Guffy wrote: »
    Early days obviously and no real test as of yet, but how have Dundalk played under the new lad? Any improvement in general play over Perth?

Just grinding out results from what I've seen. Wasn't impressed with them against Cobh or for most of the Shels game. I wouldn't consider Cobh, Shels or Inter much of a challenge for them though so we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

The players do seem to be giving 100% though so the Italian has their respect. They're playing for him.

Fair fcuks to Coleraine now 2-2

The vagaries of Europe - Bate are out, Drita are still in

• Advertisement

Playoff draw tomorrow as well. Some of the unseeded teams can be paired against each other or you could get the likes of Red Star Belgrade or Qarabag

And Linfield about to go out to Floriana. Injury time now and they've been playing with 10 for the last 20 minutes.

And Linfield about to go out to Floriana. Injury time now and they've been playing with 10 for the last 20 minutes.

Really bad result for them, winner of that tie would've played home against Flora Talinn next round

Went out on penalties in the end. Almost won it in ET but their chance was cleared off the line.

Motherwell's keeper saved all 3 pens in the shootout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Embarrassing from Sean Gannon. He brushed his hand against the back of his head :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

Dundalk through 1-0.

Linfield are currently 1-0 down to Floriana of Malta.

I'd normally agree with you but they were a filthy team and ref was atrocious. Wish more of our players were a bit more cynical if I'm honest

Went out on penalties in the end. Almost won it in ET but their chance was cleared off the line.

Motherwell's keeper saved all 3 pens in the shootout.

The player who took 2 penalties in ‘normal’ time didn’t one in the shootout :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sorry if I'm late to the party but no idea about the banners at the Rovers game.

Anyone like to enlighten me as to what they said. Pm if you don't wanna go back over old news.

And he’s played in enough European matches (20+ It could be even 30+) to know the score. First time we played Hadjuk I though they rolled all over the place. You get used to it, and he was probably killing time.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm late to the party but no idea about the banners at the Rovers game.

Anyone like to enlighten me as to what they said. Pm if you don't wanna go back over old news.

They were put up yesterday (I think) by Paddy Power and were removed today before the game. These are the banners.

https://twitter.com/Awaydays23/status/1306542754147774464?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

From 33rd to 55th position, the League of Ireland is the only league to have consistently achieved 1.000 point or higher over the last five seasons of European competition.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/crank2021.html

Several of the leagues ranked above and below the LOI have been awarded artificially high points tallies since a preliminary round was introduced into the Europa League in 2018-19. A few of them also benefit from playing in the CL preliminary round, with Kosovo being the most extreme example.

Potental Dundalk opponents if they overcome Sheriff- Qarabag, KI/Dinamo Tblisi or Legia Warsaw/Drita

On last nights performance no chance. But we can dream.

whoever said you can only play the team in front of you probably had a point of some sort. Spurs were 10 minutes from going out last night ‘ special one or not’

What was Boyle sent off for? He didn’t actually commit any foul. And as for Slogetts booking ? Hoban is very poor in Europe.

Hoban is very poor in Europe.

As someone said here a while ago: "As useful as a 3-pin plug." :pac:

On last nights performance no chance. But we can dream.

whoever said you can only play the team in front of you probably had a point of some sort. Spurs were 10 minutes from going out last night ‘ special one or not’

What was Boyle sent off for? He didn’t actually commit any foul. And as for Slogetts booking ? Hoban is very poor in Europe.

ah yes the great measure of a player, a 2 yard header

Hoban for Balon D'or

• Advertisement

Dundalk home to Dinamo tblisi or ki of faroe islands if they get past Sheriff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Sheriff or Dundalk vs KI Klaksvik or Dinamo Tbilisi

Best draw Dundalk could have got out of the options, but will be very tough next week for them.

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    ah yes the great measure of a player, a 2 yard header

Hoban for Balon D'or

As Brian Clough said ‘ they all count’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Our draws have been very very kind this season. Shame we are such a basket case at the moment. Would fancy Rovers against any of the sides we have drawn

I know next year will be different,

But for now, despite all the sh* ite talk,

33 Dundalk Ireland 1.080.000,00 €

98 Shamrock Rovers Ireland 500.000,00 €

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement