Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I agree that our draws have been kind, although Dinamo Tbilisi have a team from the Faroe Islands at this stage of qualifying, wtf?

Sheriff have won 9 from 9 and conceded 1 so far this season. The Moldovan Shamrock Rovers, as Paddy Power might say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

joeysoap wrote: »
    I know next year will be different,

But for now, despite all the sh* ite talk,

33 Dundalk Ireland 1.080.000,00 €

98 Shamrock Rovers Ireland 500.000,00 €

But 1m prizemoney is not enough for Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

doncarlos wrote: »
    Our draws have been very very kind this season. Shame we are such a basket case at the moment. Would fancy Rovers against any of the sides we have drawn

With 16 odd players out of contract at the end of the season, interm trainer in place....would Peak6 be planning to go all out over the next 2-3 years to try and crack Europe?? Would they have a few Eastern Europeans/Italians/Americans alá Colovic or so lined up to come in???
    I cannot believe they are just letting things tick over and from what I have heard Vinny knew it was over at the end of the season....he ended up going sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

I agree that our draws have been kind, although Dinamo Tbilisi have a team from the Faroe Islands at this stage of qualifying, wtf?

Sheriff have won 9 from 9 and conceded 1 so far this season. The Moldovan Shamrock Rovers, as Paddy Power might say.

Sheriff are more like the Celtic of their league, you can tell from the nationalities in their squad compared to rest of Moldovan league.

Dundalk really need to take advantage of these draws as our 2016 run wont be counted towards our ranking next season as seedings are only based over 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Sheriff are more like the Celtic of their league, you can tell from the nationalities in their squad compared to rest of Moldovan league.

Dundalk really need to take advantage of these draws as our 2016 run wont be counted towards our ranking next season as seedings are only based over 4 years

3.000 out replaced with.........

Total 20/21 19/20. 18/19 17/18

Dundalk 7,500 0,000 2,000 1,500 1,000

16/17

Sheriff have 12,500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Derry awful again.

Looking at watchloi and I see Dundalk vs Rovers is scheduled for Friday 25th. Another match to reschedule. Already we have 2. And that’s a in (very) short season. If sheriff win I suspect Monday 28th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

NIMAN wrote: »
    Derry awful again.

Yeah, neither team was impressive this evening. We just don't look like scoring although our general play was ok. Kelly is not impressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

kksaints wrote: »
    Yeah, neither team was impressive this evening. We just don't look like scoring although our general play was ok. Kelly is not impressing.

He mustn't be getting the service, hes a very good forward, not sure why Dundalk let him go.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    He mustn't be getting the service, hes a very good forward, not sure why Dundalk let him go.

Not really buying this excuse, the last three matches he's had a couple of decent chances and he's took none of them. He struggles to hold the ball up and he's caught offside far too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was disappointed when Derry didn't manage to sign Kelly, but watching how Devine sets us up, it wouldn't matter if we had Harry Kane up front, we'd still struggle to score.

FAI Cup Quarter Final Draw

Bohs vs Dundalk
    Finn Harps vs Shams
    Sligo Rovers vs Derry City
    Athlone Town vs Shels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Loving that cup draw. :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Devoy really is a cracking talent. Has a great football brain matched with ability.

Keeping both Ward and Mandriou out of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Devoy was easily man of the match today. Great performance for an 18 year old. The last teenager I remember putting in a performance like that for Bohs against us was Faud Sule. Hopefully Devoy's career goes in a different direction!
    Pity that we were missing the league's other great young talent in Niall Morahan through suspension, he'd have made a big difference today.

No real complaints today except that Cornwall should have had a red really. Bohs were the better team and well worth the win. Hopefully we can kick on again and get Europe and take our cup back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Has something happened at Cork? Have seen a few twitter posts but no details.

Has something happened at Cork? Have seen a few twitter posts but no details.
    Looks like one of their biggest supporters has passed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Looks like one of their biggest supporters has passed away.

Checked Twitter after seeing these posts. Very sadly John Kennedy passed away. He was in charge of the Family Enclosure and organised an incredible amount of stuff for it over the years, as close to a Mr. Cork City as you could get. Probably responsible for thousands of kids coming to and staying coming to City games over the past many years. Did huge amounts for City in the community too. Very nice man as well.

Genuinely shocked at hearing of his passing.

Sorry to hear that. I didn't know the man but a loss like that to any club is a loss to our collective community. Good league of Ireland men are few and far between and tonight we are one fewer, and lesser as a result. A sad loss.

Thinking of you all tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

With 16 odd players out of contract at the end of the season, interm trainer in place....would Peak6 be planning to go all out over the next 2-3 years to try and crack Europe?? Would they have a few Eastern Europeans/Italians/Americans alá Colovic or so lined up to come in???
    I cannot believe they are just letting things tick over and from what I have heard Vinny knew it was over at the end of the season....he ended up going sooner.

Going to be extremely challenging next season in Europe as we'll be in the third tier competition and it'll be difficult to qualify. I think we need big investment from the yanks and a massive rebuilding effort. Not sure if they have the appetite for it.

Genuinely thought we might get a good five or six years before the **** hit the fan and we would have had a couple of group stages runs in that time. Really hard to know what they are thinking or what they will do but I think If we don't win the league next year we could be in big trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

joeysoap wrote: »
    As Brian Clough said ‘ they all count’

They do count but like you said yourself he is in effectual in Europe, a 2 yard header in 1 tie where they didn't progress doesn't change that

3 goals in 16 games isn't it... McMillian seemed to do much better in Europe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

John was a legend, a real City legend. He had City blood flowing through his veins and did so much to encourage countless City fans to engage with and support the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

doncarlos wrote: »
    Genuinely thought we might get a good five or six years before the **** hit the fan and we would have had a couple of group stages runs in that time. Really hard to know what they are thinking or what they will do but I think If we don't win the league next year we could be in big trouble.

Would be very surprised if Peak see it through next season.
    Far too many uncertainties for an investment fund.

1. Question marks over whether it's better to just fold the league for a season. It wouldn't be viable to run the league next year without crowds or serious government funding. The FAI are looking for €3.5 million just to have a full league next year. Streaming has been a complete bust according to Gary Owens with a very poor uptake.

2. Dundalk will be in a 3rd tier competition, which is essentially the same kind of level as the current EL qualifying rounds with the really big boys/glamour ties taken out of it. Prize money will surely be lower than the EL though.

3. Peak were at Bournemouth about 3 years. Saw them reach their absolute maximum - midtable EPL side - and had the wisdom to leave on a high before the inevitable relegation.
    They're at Dundalk now about 3 years. If anything they've gone back a couple of rungs in Europe which is where the money is.

Tldr: Can't see Peak sticking around much longer, they'll probably see out the season. Syphon off whatever money/assets they can and run.

Streaming has been a complete bust according to Gary Owens with a very poor uptake.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

The LoI is not a tv product.

The standard of play isn't great.

Most grounds don't look good on tv.

Tv facilities are on the most part quite poor.

The best part of the league to sell is the fans.

Over the years I'd only really watch a game not involving Shels if the result directly affected us. Watching games in empty grounds? Fck that. Tons of other stuff I can watch on tv or Netflix.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I would only watch Bohs games and I didn't pay for it as I got it with my membership so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Owens didn't go into much detail on the numbers for WatchLOI but he did say the income was disappointingly low but is in line with the FAI's expectations so looks like as many predicted it would only a break even initiative and is never going to be a revenue generator for the clubs. When fans can return to games its not going to generate the same subscriptions again to avoid making a loss

Sean Grant putting in a pulsating performance to ensure Harps beat Shels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

In fairness, Harps are due a bit of generous refereeing after that Sligo game a few weeks ago

In fairness, Harps are due a bit of generous refereeing after that Sligo game a few weeks ago
    That game was pretty generous for them. They managed 60 minutes with 11 on the pitch.

Grim.

Red card for us in both games against (allegedly) the league's hackers. :(

Looks like it's a long tortuous attempt to draw our way to safety. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The latest game where Harps chopped the legs off the opposition and Ollie got sent off to the stands?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Grim.

Significant positive goal difference over both Cork and Harps is effectively an extra point for us at this stage, if they can draw in their game on Sept 25th we can scrape our way to 8th but yeah it will be torture to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

We’re really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Ohmeha wrote: »
    The latest game where Harps chopped the legs off the opposition and Ollie got sent off to the stands?

No the game where a Harps player could barely fart near a Sligo player without being given a yellow card

Grim.

I'd say next Saturday's match would be a good game for a under 2.5 goal bet.

CSF wrote: »
    We’re really bad.
    We're a bad footballing team who are actually creating chances but panicking in the final third but workrate is above most teams in the league and is why we're not bottom. Bizarrely still only 4 points off a Europa League spot with 6 games. Goalkeeping situation biggest concern for me, McCabe is getting exposed now with another poor parry for Harps goal and at least 3 flaps at corners, you can see why was dropped in favour of Brady for the first 4 games but I don't think they have confidence in Brady either

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jay1988

kksaints wrote: »
    I'd say next Saturday's match would be a good game for a under 2.5 goal bet.

Guaranteed 4-4 thriller now. 😂

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Owens didn't go into much detail on the numbers for WatchLOI but he did say the income was disappointingly low but is in line with the FAI's expectations so looks like as many predicted it would only a break even initiative and is never going to be a revenue generator for the clubs. When fans can return to games its not going to generate the same subscriptions again to avoid making a loss

They've got to think of other creative options then. Allow clubs to do it by themselves. Bunch it in with the season ticket, FAI to subsidise it. The whole thing is barely two months old and already written off..

Viewer numbers of games would be interesting, not who has ordered it..

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Streaming has been a complete bust according to Gary Owens with a very poor uptake.

What a shock.
    The LoI is not a tv product.

Don't let Quinn hear you talking about the brand like that, if he's still bothered with it, or the geniuses who were still shouting for a "proper TV deal" for the LOI while English clubs were going bust with wage bills inflated by TV money.

Football on television can be a chore to watch, even the highest level of the game. An impressive atmosphere can compensate for that, which is why the LOI should be looking for quality over quantity in regard to which fixtures are selected for broadcasting on RTE and Eir.
    The best part of the league to sell is the fans.

And all it requires is to allow LOI fans to do their thing, and not fine them thousands of euro for doing so.

The culture and atmosphere to be found in our stadiums is a complete antidote to the bullshìt of the EPL and it will attract a growing number of people with an appetite for real football on a Friday night as long as it isn't stifled or cheapened by excessive marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Hard to tell from the camera how much was in it with kogler/Brennan, seemed the usual two running together, maybe Brennan clipped him but was surprised we got a free from it on first look.
    Kogler was unlikely to get to the ball before the keeper though so never a red even if Brennan did catch him. As bad as the call for sending off coyle for junior running into him.
    We don't seem to know what to do against 10men though, felt shels came back into it a little after.

Didn't see the first half, apparently could have been a few down. Second well on top, couldn't create much clear cut. Think almost every team bar maybe is lacking that cutting edge.

• Advertisement

What a shock.

Don't let Quinn hear you talking about the brand like that, if he's still bothered with it, or the geniuses who were still shouting for a "proper TV deal" for the LOI while English clubs were going bust with wage bills inflated by TV money.

Football on television can be a chore to watch, even the highest level of the game. An impressive atmosphere can compensate for that, which is why the LOI should be looking for quality over quantity in regard to which fixtures are selected for broadcasting on RTE and Eir.

And all it requires is to allow LOI fans to do their thing, and not fine them thousands of euro for doing so.

The culture and atmosphere to be found in our stadiums is a complete antidote to the bullshìt of the EPL and it will attract a growing number of people with an appetite for real football on a Friday night as long as it isn't stifled or cheapened by excessive marketing.

You seem to be romanticising the idea of being in a ground a bit too far. Watching football inside a ground can be as much of a chore. Watching that Pats v Sligo game would've been no more entertaining in person.

At Rovers, I attended more than enough putrid games under Croly and Fenlon and Scully in front of less than 1,000 fans to know not to want that experience back again. I saw enough heavy defeats under Kenny to know the culture and atmosphere did not make up for it.

Attendances and anticipation go up not due to the culture and atmosphere, but results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

LOI watch has become very stale very quickly tbf. Iv lost interest in the league myself due the BCD element. It looks like it could be a few years before its full stadiums again . Hopefully fans in some capacity can attend by the start of the 2021 season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

wadacrack wrote: »
    LOI watch has become very stale very quickly tbf. Iv lost interest in the league myself due the BCD element. It looks like it could be a few years before its full stadiums again . Hopefully fans in some capacity can attend by the start of the 2021 season

The lack of goals is a real killer. The amount of 0-0 and 1-0 snoozefests this year is ridiculous

How many decent games can you really say there has been since the league returned? You could probably count them on one hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Rovers v Waterford is free on watch loi tonight for anyone without an account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Heading to the Cobh match tonight, some day for it. Hopefully get to see a few goals

https://twitter.com/bfcdublin/status/1307947551128252416

Great to see a LOI club on Liberty Hall.

Well great to see my club on Liberty Hall.

Not often I’d prefer Rovers to win. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Atrocious defending there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Greener must have been practicing his shooting after AC Milan.

Waterford look tasty. Great game. Nice quality on show from both sides.

Just gone 2-0 now: feel sorry for Waterford, they don't deserve to be so far behind now.

C'mon Rovers :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

3-0 in the space of about 4 minutes. Second and third goals both headers from corners. I thought Waterford were actually doing alright until about 5 minutes ago! Game over now surely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement