Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Great result for Dundalk, I thought they played well tonight in fairness but were tiring badly in the second half of ET. They deserved to go through tonight and a much better performance than the one against Celje (missed the one in Andorra).

It's been a handy draw for them so far but I suppose that's what teams are hoping for once every few years. Don't know much about the team from the Faroes but you can't ask for much more in a playoff round. Could end up being a good season for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Great to see no social distancing with Dundalk celebrating the win...they'll all have covid and Rovers will win the league. C'mon the hoops!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

You can't say it can you?

Rovers are champs (long ago) well deserved too

Sundays team to include McCarey, Dummiggan, patching, Flores, Boyle, McMillan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Dundalk to play KI at the Aviva Stadium next week.

Not sure why, and how the current restrictions in Dublin might affect the game.

Great result for Dundalk....

It's been a handy draw for them so far but I suppose that's what teams are hoping for once every few years. Don't know much about the team from the Faroes but you can't ask for much more in a playoff round. Could end up being a good season for them!

3 away draws to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Fair play to Dundalk

Done well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Fair play to Dundalk, is there another round after the next or is it group stages if they win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

How much money will Dundalk get from winning this match tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Congrats to de Town.........should go on the beer now till Sunday at least....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

As well as Klaksvik's result tonight, they also beat Slovan Bratislava 3-0 in the Champions League qualifiers last month. Granted both results were at home, but they're no mugs by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

pgj2015 wrote: »
    How much money will Dundalk get from winning this match tonight?
    280k. That's a million euro earned from Europe thus far. Will get another 300k win or lose in playoff round (I think). And then even if we lose every game in group stages we are guaranteed the guts of €3m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

damemcd wrote: »
    Congrats to de Town.........should go on the beer now till Sunday at least....
    can see that game being postponed... a few days of pints after the next game though will be well earned....

played well tonight and look a lot better than earlier in the year. Was certain peak6 would have been done at times this year but another payday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

VillaMad wrote: »

Match is BCD by all accounts.

Fair play to Dundalk.

Didn't see them getting this far, they've had a handyish route but you've still got to get out there and take advantage of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

As well as Klaksvik's result tonight, they also beat Slovan Bratislava 3-0 in the Champions League qualifiers last month. Granted both results were at home, but they're no mugs by the looks of it.

That was a walkover after the first team of Slovan had players and staff tested positive for Covid and the second team Slovan brought over also had players test positive for Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Pighead wrote: »
    280k. That's a million euro earned from Europe thus far. Will get another 300k win or lose in playoff round (I think). And then even if we lose every game in group stages we are guaranteed the guts of €3m.

I think the prize money is only awarded to the losers of a particular round. So if they lost tonight, they would have got €280,000 as a result of reaching this stage. Lose next week and they get €300,000. They wouldn't get the accumulated prize money of the rounds they got past. They do already though have €280,000 from being in the Champions League.

The group stage is where you really make your money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pighead wrote: »

Is that enough for what they've lost last year and running this year and possibly next year though. I don't know if it's 'breakthrough' money like 2016 could've been. Do the players out of contract now get extensions, do Dundalk keep them now next year..

You'd wonder how bad the rest of the Moldovan league is if they are always champions. A long way from Zimbru winning 10-0.

dfx- wrote: »
    they're just not very good. Sligo, Pats, Bohs and Waterford have given Dundalk harder games than this.

Rovers and Shels (twice)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Level 3 in Dublin excludes ''elite sport''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Fair play to Dundalk, is there another round after the next or is it group stages if they win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

overshoot wrote: »
    can see that game being postponed... a few days of pints after the next game though will be well earned....

played well tonight and look a lot better than earlier in the year. Was certain peak6 would have been done at times this year but another payday...

I'm not so sure, with the playoff next week and two group games before the end of the league season, I don't think there's enough room to fit in any more postponements. The league is due to end in just over five weeks and they still have to fit in eight league games (City v Dundalk still to have a date set) and three EL games (one playoff and two group games) in that time. I think they might just about squeeze them all in as it is without having less than three days between any games. Anymore postponements and they'll end up with 48 hours between some matches.

One of the group games is the day before the last league games, so the whole series will have to be re-arranged - presumably for the Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

ItsHoggie wrote: »

Play KI of Faroe Islands for spot in group stages

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

kksaints wrote: »
    That was a walkover after the first team of Slovan had players and staff tested positive for Covid and the second team Slovan brought over also had players test positive for Covid.
    Ah! You can't trust just glancing at the results these days.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I'm not so sure, with the playoff next week and two group games before the end of the league season, I don't think there's enough room to fit in any more postponements. The league is due to end in just over five weeks and they still have to fit in eight league games (City v Dundalk still to have a date set) and three EL games (one playoff and two group games) in that time. I think they might just about squeeze them all in as it is without having less than three days between any games. Anymore postponements and they'll end up with 48 hours between some matches.

One of the group games is the day before the last league games, so the whole series will have to be re-arranged - presumably for the Sunday.

1EL Match guaranteed. Nothing else at this stage, hopefully your right.
    Riga only beaten by a last minute goal tonight, so penalties last year wasn't so bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I think the prize money is only awarded to the losers of a particular round. So if they lost tonight, they would have got €280,000 as a result of reaching this stage. Lose next week and they get €300,000. They wouldn't get the accumulated prize money of the rounds they got past. They do already though have €280,000 from being in the Champions League.

The group stage is where you really make your money.
    That isn't correct, prize money is cumulative. If you think about it, it would make no sense whatsoever that clubs in the Europa League would only get an extra €20k of prize money for each stage of the competition they progress into. It will be costing Dundalk more than €20k to just charter a flight and book accommodation in Moldova.
    Champions League Prize Money
    Preliminary qualifying round: €230,000
    First qualifying round: €280,000
    Second qualifying round: €380,000
    Third qualifying round: €480,000 (Only for clubs eliminated from the champions path, since clubs eliminated from the league path qualify directly for the UEFA Europa League group stage and therefore benefit from its distribution system.)
    Base fee for group stage: €15,250,000
    Group match victory: €2,700,000
    Group match draw: €900,000
    Round of 16: €9,500,000
    Quarter-finals: €10,500,000
    Semi-finals: €12,000,000
    Runner-ups: €15,000,000
    Champions: €19,000,000
    Europa League Prize Money
    Preliminary round: €220,000
    First qualifying round: €240,000
    Second qualifying round: €260,000
    Third qualifying round: €280,000
    Play-off round elimination: €300,000
    Base fee for group stage: €2,920,000
    Group match victory: €570,000
    Group match draw: €190,000
    Group winners: €1,000,000
    Group runners-up: €500,000
    Round of 32: €500,000
    Round of 16: €1,100,000
    Quarter-finals: €1,500,000
    Semi-finals: €2,400,000
    Runner-ups: €4,500,000
    Champions: €8,500,000
    Dundalk will receive prize money as following.

Taking part in the first round Champions League qualifier - €280k
    Taking part in the second round Europa League qualifier - €260k
    Taking part in the third round Europa League qualifier - €280k
    Taking part in the play-off elimination Europa League qualifier - €300k

Total they have already banked is €1.12m. If they qualify for the group stages, they will add an extra €2.9m on top of that.

Winning the match against the Faroe team will guarantee them €4m.

You left out €260k for ' taking part' in the Champions League, Dundalk at 24, Faroe team at 19

https://www.football-coefficient.eu/money/#money-club

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

joeysoap wrote: »
    You left out €260k for ' taking part' in the Champions League

€1080,000 up to tonight) 560+260+ 280
    +300 for next week. Dúndalk 24 Faroe team at 16

https://www.football-coefficient.eu/money/#money-club

You don't actually want that 300k next week though as that'll mean that you lost.

• Advertisement

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

UEFA games are pretty much set in stone.

The FAI's reputation's at an all time low.

The FAI will be delighted with tonight's news. We all await Fran Gavin taking credit for it.

From a LoI point of view, they can push back PD games affected by Dundalk to the Sunday, the rest will go ahead as scheduled on the Friday night.

Be interesting what this means for Dundalk long term assuming they beat the FI team. Will P6 now cut and run? Or will they hang around a bit longer and plough more cash in?

Being honest, if I was running P6, I'd be out the door as soon as the next UEFA cheque arrived.

This is not the Dundalk team of 2016 on an upward curve with players worth selling abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Zebra3 wrote: »

The FAI will be delighted with tonight's news. We all await Fran Gavin taking credit for it.

From a LoI point of view, they can push back PD games affected by Dundalk to the Sunday, the rest will go ahead as scheduled on the Friday night.

Be interesting what this means for Dundalk long term assuming they beat the FI team. Will P6 now cut and run? Or will they hang around a bit longer and plough more cash in?

Being honest, if I was running P6, I'd be out the door as soon as the next UEFA cheque arrived.

This is not the Dundalk team of 2016 on an upward curve with players worth selling abroad.

You make it sound like they made a great profit of selling players abroad in the past.

The sole purpose of P6 taking over was to make a profit through European qualification, i am sure they will be happy to continue investing if qualification is secured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

But was that almost built into winning the league, which isnt really likely this year...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Shields is suspended next week, Big night for Slogget ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Shields is suspended next week, Big night for Slogget ahead
    No way. How many yellows do you need to get suspended? Thought he only had a couple from the Euro games. That's a massive blow for Dundalk. With Boyle coming back wonder will Filippo play Hoare and Slogget in the centre now. Sick for Shieldsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Great result for Dundalk in so many ways. With next season in serious doubt, that money will secure the football club for a year. Huge.

What's the scenario with Klaksvik? We're there mitigated circumstances to their result or did they just naturally batter Tbilisi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Incredible that Shields was booked for time wasting and their number 18 went the whole game kicking lumps out of Sean Murray without getting a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Great result for Dundalk in so many ways. With next season in serious doubt, that money will secure the football club for a year. Huge.

What's the scenario with Klaksvik? We're there mitigated circumstances to their result or did they just naturally batter Tbilisi?

There's the highlights- Tbilisi were awful in defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBxGHWs92vg

Dinamo Tbilisi are pretty rubbish by all accounts. Their twitter account last night was quite funny.

KI are 2nd in the Faroes league at the moment, 4 points off top. They don't have players from all over the world like Sheriff, mostly Faroese.

i dont know the ins and outs but why are they wasting money renting the Aviva if they wont get any ticket sales money?

isnt Tallaght up to the standard and probably cheaper to rent of SDCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

KI are 2nd in the Faroes league at the moment, 4 points off top. They don't have players from all over the world like Sheriff, mostly Faroese.
    If this team were to qualify for the group stages it doesn't even look like they would be able to play their home games in the Faroe Islands as there is no uefa cat 4 stadium

If this team were to qualify for the group stages it doesn't even look like they would be able to play their home games in the Faroe Islands as there is no uefa cat 4 stadium

So you're saying they should forfeit now? :D

Don't mind Peak6, it's Sheriff's owners that should cut and run after that showing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Dundalk have been nothing short of a comedy show in the past few months. The kind of train wreck you can't look away from.

With everything from their chairman handing Perth the first 11 he wanted him to play but omitting to have a goalkeeper in it to the yanks wanting Rodgers on corners because of his kicking.

Of course Dundalk aren't there yet and the Faroes won't be shaking in their boots. But it would sum up the kind of madcap year Dundalk have had if they stumbled into the Europa League groups by virtue of the softest of softest routes with a kids soccer camp coach in charge in a year they'll most likely be second best in the league.

It'd be quite ironic if Peak actually see them getting to the groups as investment matured and walk away away with a few million in Euro prize money in their pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

With next season in serious doubt, that money will secure the football club for a year. Huge.

A 2021 season has to be totally unviable, surely? I can't see any way it happens unless Shams and Dundalk want to play a 2 team league. Nobody else can afford it without going amateur/part time or getting a lot of support from the FAI/Government, which I don't see coming.

It's sad to think about not having the LOI until 2022 after the next few games.

• Advertisement

An awful lot of noses out of joint this mórning. The team on the pitch did brilliantly. Of course the remaining players are 4 years older and as for selling players
    we got exactly nothing for Horgan,
    McMillan, Boyle, Barrett, Kilduff, Finn, Benson, or Finn (all there in 2016).

Dundalk have been nothing short of a comedy show in the past few months. The kind of train wreck you can't look away from.

With everything from their chairman handing Perth the first 11 he wanted him to play but omitting to have a goalkeeper in it to the yanks wanting Rodgers on corners because of his kicking.

Of course Dundalk aren't there yet and the Faroes won't be shaking in their boots. But it would sum up the kind of madcap year Dundalk have had if they stumbled into the Europa League groups by virtue of the softest of softest routes with a kids soccer camp coach in charge in a year they'll most likely be second best in the league.

It'd be quite ironic if Peak actually see them getting to the groups as investment matured and walk away away with a few million in Euro prize money in their pockets.

Jesus, man. Bitter much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Oat23 wrote: »
    A 2021 season has to be totally unviable, surely? I can't see any way it happens unless Shams and Dundalk want to play a 2 team league. Nobody else can afford it without going amateur/part time or getting a lot of support from the FAI/Government, which I don't see coming.

It's sad to think about not having the LOI until 2022 after the next few games.

The GAA got €20 million in state funding to play two amateur amateur sports this winter.
    The FAI are looking for €3.5 million to play the league next year. It'll be absolutely scandalous if there isn't state aid for the league.

It goes beyond actually playing the league, no league next year would mean an absolute exodus of players. A few might get deals in Britain but all that good underage work would just fall away. Established 30 something year old players would probably just retire.

It'd be about as bleak a prospect as you could get for the league.

[QsUOTE=Dillonb3;114723708]There's the highlights- Tbilisi were awful in defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBxGHWs92vg[/QUOTE]

Stadium probably better than Oriel. 2nd goal was nice, plastic pitch too.

Why have we to hire the Aviva if there’s no spectators?

Referee last night was better than last weeks and that’s saying something. Sheriff fouled continually and we got a card for time wasting. Some of the frees against Dundalk were for tackles where the Dundalk player made no contact ( why was the goal disallowed ) and some posters was critical of Gannon last week. European football is totally different

joeysoap wrote: »
    [QsUOTE=Dillonb3;114723708]There's the highlights- Tbilisi were awful in defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBxGHWs92vg

Stadium probably better than Oriel. 2nd goal was nice, plastic pitch too.

Why have we to hire the Aviva if there’s no spectators?[/QUOTE]

Surely tallaght would be a better option

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Word in Dundalk is the FAI still owe Dundalk money, and the Aviva is been rented at a very low price.

With Uefa yet to make a decision on fans at games for Group Stages, maybe the club feel if they nominate Aviva as their ground they might have possibility of getting fans in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Fair play to Dundalk. It's all about the results and they're into a play-off. I know rovers respectfully lost a glamour tie but I'd rather be looking at a play-off now.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Word in Dundalk is the FAI still owe Dundalk money, and the Aviva is been rented at a very low price.

With Uefa yet to make a decision on fans at games for Group Stages, maybe the club feel if they nominate Aviva as their ground they might have possibility of getting fans in.

Is it a case that the venue for play-off must also be used by the club for group games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Should Dundalk qualify, do they have the option to use the prize money to invest in some quality players before the transfer window closes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement