Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Is it a case that the venue for play-off must also be used by the club for group games?

I think you can nominate a ground at a later stage. But we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves here,, we haven't qualied for anything yet and from Ki's point of view dundalk is the best draw they could have hoped for. Any team that scores 6 - anywhere, but especially in Europe - deserves respect. I don't think the 4 loi teams few scored 6 combined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

sugarman wrote: »
    LOI transfer window is well closed and they wont receive their prize money until next year.

Don't forget it has to go via the FAI. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

With the europa conference coming in next year Irish teams in particular league champions should have a great chance of making the group stages of that each year.

How much money its worth will be interesting to see

Neither will Real Madrid, Barcelona,Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool etc but afaik 7/8th in the premier, Spain, Italy, Germany etc are going to qualify and it will be even harder to qualify from it.

Aren’t Bohs due €1,5 m for Doherty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Mickey mouse competition, couldn't give a flying **** about the financial incentives of it.

People said the same thing about the europa league 10 years ago, but we can see now it is not taken lightly by top clubs around europe,

With the new europa conference you will still have clubs from the Eredevise, Belgian pro liga and Scottish league etc. along with a club from the top leagues such as the bundesliga, premiership and la liga, so i think it will carry a bit of prestige

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohs and Derey wearing black and blue
    Don't have a clue who's on either team.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Bohs and Derey wearing black and blue
    Don't have a clue who's on either team.

Back in the day one team had to wear white shorts!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Looks awful on the tv. It’s nearly impossible to tell them apart. Why aren’t we in our white kit?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Looks awful on the tv. It’s nearly impossible to tell them apart. Why aren’t we in our white kit?

Why aren't Derry wearing their home. Almost any other combination of our kits would be better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Where's Anthony Buttimer when you need him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

The GAA got €20 million in state funding to play two amateur amateur sports this winter.
    The FAI are looking for €3.5 million to play the league next year. It'll be absolutely scandalous if there isn't state aid for the league.

It goes beyond actually playing the league, no league next year would mean an absolute exodus of players. A few might get deals in Britain but all that good underage work would just fall away. Established 30 something year old players would probably just retire.

It'd be about as bleak a prospect as you could get for the league.
    I have no doubt the government will stump up the funds for 2021 as attendances will continue to be limited to inadequate levels, season ticket sales will not be possible for the season and sponsorships will be decimated. I'd expect another shortened 18 or 27 game season and dramas over how the funds are distributed between clubs since no clubs have budgets in place for 2021 and you will get some clubs demanding bigger budgets than others to continue to sign UK and international professionals with borrowed taxpayer funds

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Why aren't Derry wearing their home. Almost any other combination of our kits would be better

It must look grand in person. But it’s a definite oversight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Ohmeha wrote: »
    dramas over how the funds are distributed between clubs since no clubs have budgets in place for 2021 and you will get some clubs demanding bigger budgets than others to continue to sign UK and international professionals with borrowed taxpayer funds

Never thought of that, it's one thing to prop up clubs already with budgets in place and some getting more than others, may be a lot more difficult to justify clubs getting different pots, at least for those without multi year contracts, which is probably 17/19

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Omackeral wrote: »
    It must look grand in person. But it’s a definite oversight.

It's literally impossible to tell for set pieces. I think they are changing at half time.

Ref wouldn't let us change at ht.

No they didnt. The UEFA Cup was always a decent competition that had been around for 40 odd years prior to the rebranding to the Europa League. The only complaints I recall was its expansion / the merging of the Intertoto Cup that made it too big of a competition.

This new conference league is a move to confine the lower leagues and expand the ever growing gap between the big leagues. Its a step closer to their super league.

Like you do realise our current Europa League spots for 2nd, 3rd and FAI Cup winners will be gone, yeah? Instead our teams will be entered into the very first round of the Conference League instead.

The only realistic way for our teams to reach the Europa League going forward is for the League Champions to drop down from the Champions League Qualifiers.

When the uefa cup was rebranded into the europa league it was lambasted as being a mickey mouse version of the champions league and that big clubs would not take it seriously, and I understand what you are saying, it seems middle to lower ranking nations are being robbed of a europa league place, but I think this new competition will give more leagues a chance of participating in european competition, and competing against some of the bigger clubs, I suppose it all boils down to the financial aspect of it, if there is a decent prize fund then clubs will take the competition seriously

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I have no doubt the government will stump up the funds for 2021 as attendances will continue to be limited to inadequate levels, season ticket sales will not be possible for the season and sponsorships will be decimated. I'd expect another shortened 18 or 27 game season and dramas over how the funds are distributed between clubs since no clubs have budgets in place for 2021 and you will get some clubs demanding bigger budgets than others to continue to sign UK and international professionals with borrowed taxpayer funds
    overshoot wrote: »
    Never thought of that, it's one thing to prop up clubs already with budgets in place and some getting more than others, may be a lot more difficult to justify clubs getting different pots, at least for those without multi year contracts, which is probably 17/19
    j

That’s an easy one to sort

Base it on last full year attendances. Winners and losers but fairest way.

Rovers would win and lose ( no Rovers 2 attendances )

https://www.extratime.com/articles/24005/from-the-archives---extratimeie-league-of-ireland-attendance-report-2019/

but I think this new competition will give more leagues a chance of participating in european competition, and competing against some of the bigger clubs, I suppose it all boils down to the financial aspect of it, if there is a decent prize fund then clubs will take the competition seriously

1) All of UEFA's members have clubs participating in their competitions.

2) What big clubs do you think will be competing in this shambles of a competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Some ending in Dalymount there. Derry won't believe they've lost that.

• Advertisement

90 minutes of shíte and somehow we've won :pac:

I'd like to report a robbery at Dalymount Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

Great finish to the Bohs Derry game

Whats with WatchLOI not having replays anymore. Seriously annoying not to replay the goals. Last goal in particular a slo mo replay straight after the goal was needed. Commentator wasn't even sure who scored in the goal mouth scramble

deisedude wrote: »
    Great finish to the Bohs Derry game

Whats with WatchLOI not having replays anymore. Seriously annoying not to replay the goals. Last goal in particular a slo mo replay straight after the goal was needed. Commentator wasn't even sure who scored in the goal mouth scramble
    Seem to have abandoned replays the last few weeks alright.

Never in doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

joeysoap wrote: »
    Aren’t Bohs due €1,5 m for Doherty?

Yes Bohemians had a 10% sell on clause from the original transfer in 2010. So 1.5m is coming Bohemians way. A massive financial boost at any time but given the current circumstances that is huge.
    His original schoolboy club Belvedere is getting about 500,000 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Devine out.

1) All of UEFA's members have clubs participating in their competitions.

2) What big clubs do you think will be competing in this shambles of a competition?

1. The uefa conference league will give more clubs a chance to participate in group stages of a European competition

2. You will have clubs that finish below the top 5 from leagues such as serie a and the premiership for example you could be competing against Arsenal or Man Utd or even Roma or AC Milan given last seasons standings

I'd like to report a robbery at Dalymount Park.

According to Flash score Bohs had 2 shots on goal and no shots off goal, so 100% scoring result.

• Advertisement

1. The uefa conference league will give more clubs a chance to participate in group stages of a European competition

2. You will have clubs that finish below the top 5 from leagues such as serie a and the premiership for example you could be competing against Arsenal or Man Utd or even Roma or AC Milan given last seasons standings

1) You've changed the goalposts.

2) Win through 3 rounds to have a marginal chance of drawing Arsenal who would likely field their reserves/youth.

It'll be the Zenith Data Systems Cup of Europe. And even that is probably overselling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus the first division is mental

Wexford beating 8-0 a few weeks ago end up beating Cabinteely who are in the top 5 team 5-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus the first division is mental

Wexford beating 8-0 a few weeks ago end up beating Cabinteely who are in the top 5 team 5-1

What the feck happened to Cabo? I don't think you can blame the break as they picked up 10 points from their first 4 games after the restart before capitulating.

1) You've changed the goalposts.

2) Win through 3 rounds to have a marginal chance of drawing Arsenal who would likely field their reserves/youth.

It'll be Zenith Data Systems Cup of Europe. And even that is probably overselling it.

Rovers are fixed for next year, but the other LOI clubs have no choice but to enter it. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

joeysoap wrote: »
    Rovers are fixed for next year, but the other LOI clubs have no choice but to enter it. Simple.

As a Waterford FC fan I'd take been in that next or any season

European football is European football at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Why have they changed the dugouts in dalymount?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

hardybuck wrote: »
    Should Dundalk qualify, do they have the option to use the prize money to invest in some quality players before the transfer window closes?
    Why would they? To try and qualify for the knockout stages?
    Dundalk are a privately owned business and won't be taking risks like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Clubs aren't interested in playing in European group stages just for the sake of it - it's about the prize money.
    LOI clubs aren't in a position to refuse cash but this new competition is to keep the minnows out of the group stages of the EL not to increase their chances of group stage football.

There's probably more chance of an easier draw for the league champions but I doubt we'll start seeing a major increase in LOI sides playing in the groups, you'll still have results like Derry going out to a Lithuanian side.

And if a league of Ireland side does get into the conference group stages it could end up being a case of what might have been if they had the benefit of the set up as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Why would they? To try and qualify for the knockout stages?
    Dundalk are a privately owned business and won't be taking risks like that.

To get a couple of decent players on decent contracts which might help them to return to the competition, and which they might be able to sell for a profit in a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Clubs aren't interested in playing in European group stages just for the sake of it - it's about the prize money.
    LOI clubs aren't in a position to refuse cash but this new competition is to keep the minnows out of the group stages of the EL not to increase their chances of group stage football.

There's probably more chance of an easier draw for the league champions but I doubt we'll start seeing a major increase in LOI sides playing in the groups, you'll still have results like Derry going out to a Lithuanian side.

And if a league of Ireland side does get into the conference group stages it could end up being a case of what might have been if they had the benefit of the set up as it is now.

I don't think non champions will be in an any worse position as they're not going to qualify anyway but it gives a second safety net to champions (as long as you get through the first champions League qualifying round).

Dundalk will probably be seeded for first three rounds and next season with an outside chance (albeit a large one) of being seeded in playoff. With a few favourable draws and slice of luck it's not beyond the realms of possibility of having two sides in European group stages

PTH2009 wrote: »
    As a Waterford FC fan I'd take been in that next or any season

European football is European football at the end of the day

And people would have taken the Intertoto over no European games as well.

• Advertisement

This is a point I made earlier, it will all boil down to the financial aspect of it, if there is substantial prize money up for grabs then the bigger clubs will take this competition seriously,

I dont think there is some over arching plan by uefa to screw the smaller clubs and keep them away from european football, but to give more clubs a chance to compete, the more clubs that are participating, the more competitions there are, the more luctrative it is for uefa, it is another way of generating more revenue for the association

I think this could benefit clubs here in Ireland, it will be much more achievable to qualify for the group stages of this competition than the champions league or even the europa, as somebody here pointed out you could even have 2 clubs competing, this will give clubs more european experience which will stand to them over time and who knows maybe one day we could see a league of Ireland side in the champions league, as this avenue is still open for the league winners

I dont think there is some over arching plan by uefa to screw the smaller clubs and keep them away from european football, but to give more clubs a chance to compete, the more clubs that are participating, the more competitions there are, the more luctrative it is for uefa, it is another way of generating more revenue for the association

How will this be lucrative?

What tv channels are going to be paying big money to show it? When will the games be on?

As for the first part, the naivety is shocking. :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't agree. It's a rebirth of the intertoto. It's about keeping minnows away from the champions league and trying to get the Europa League more lucrative. More Irish people will probably watch Palace v Everton today than any of Dundalk's Europa League games.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

How will this be lucrative?

What tv channels are going to be paying big money to show it? When will the games be on?

As for the first part, the naivety is shocking. :o

So you think they created a whole new competition as a sort of masterplan by uefa to keep smaller clubs away from playing proper european football, and Im the one being naive?

There is a lot of truth in both camps. This new competition will keep the bigger clubs away from the minnows initially. Some minnows will struggle in it, some will thrive in it. Let’s not forget a police team ( fron Wales) defeated one of our teams last year.

Looks like Aviva next Thursday. It’s a long way from where either KI or Dundalk were reared as you might say. I genuinely hope the FAI don’t screw Dundalk over it, like they did last time. At least with SDCC you knew they were being fair and straightforward about it. It was €20,000 a match and that was it. ( I’m not sure who paid for the hospitality suite (marquee) that they had to erect and Dundalk had to install new dugouts, but that was it . Dundalk on the other hand were screwed by the FAI over the Aviva , and they weren’t allowed to sell the match program in the stadium only outside it ( it was lashing if anyone can recall)

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Why have they changed the dugouts in dalymount?

Covid. Players have to sit in the Jodi so makes sense to have the coaches there as well.

YES!

It's the very same thing they done with the restructuring of the Champions League in the 90s.

It was originally a competition purely for the Champions of each of Europes leagues.

Its now an elite competition for top 3-4 teams in the top leagues with a few token places for those that can get past the qualifying rounds.

We will never see the likes of Red Star Belgrade, Steaua Bucuresti, Malmö, Club Bruge or even Celtic in a Champions League final again. As is, its unlikely you see them play in the competition at all.

They were all pushed out into the Europa League.

Now they're trying to do the same thing again, making the Europa League a more prestigious tournament for the mid tier leagues or Europe and pushing out the smaller leagues even further, keeping just a few token places.

I agree with what you are saying to an extent, the champions league should be just that, an elite tournament for the champions of top european leagues, and I would of rather have seen an expansion of the europa league to include more nations and clubs throughout europe but I think its naive to write off this new competition before its even started, I genuinely think it has the potential to advance the prospects of other european clubs that wouldnt normally get that chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Oat23 wrote: »
    What the feck happened to Cabo? I don't think you can blame the break as they picked up 10 points from their first 4 games after the restart before capitulating.
    I think they overachieved for the first 7 games and now they're underachieving. They were hit with alot of injuries and suspensions a month ago for a few games but they now have a near full squad with the exception of their keeper Kelly who they are missing badly but Devlin seems to be chopping and changing the team every game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Ten years ago, the smaller teams had a real chance of qualifying for the Europa League group stages without having to drop down from the CL. LoI teams were able to start in the 2nd round, sometimes even the 3rd, and came fairly close - Pats got to the playoffs twice. The first round or two gave much more realistic match-ups, even for unseeded teams from smaller nations. Since then, UEFA have just closed off more and more group stages to big teams, meaning fewer could qualify through the qualifiers and you ended up with nearly every club, except from the top few leagues, being pushed back into the first round. This made it nearly impossible for smaller teams to qualify and now it literally will be impossible, as our teams won't even get to compete in the competition. They did the same with the CL, by taking away places from the champions path and making a Dundalk-/Shels-type run to the playoff essentially impossible.

If this were anyway about giving smaller teams a chance to qualifying for some group stage, then they would turn the EL back to the system it was, where smaller clubs actually had a chance of qualifying. Then they could have had this third tier competition as a parachute for clubs that got knocked out early on, so they would still have a chance to qualify for something. But that's not what they want, because they couldn't give a sh*t about smaller leagues. The ECL will be marginally easier to get to the groups than the current EL, but most clubs still have to start off in the first round and win through four rounds to qualify. They couldn't even give some smaller clubs like cup winners a bye to a later round to make things easier, which is what they used to do for the EL. So, it's actually more difficult to qualify for the group stage of this third-tier competition than it was for the EL a few years ago.

It's a land grab for the big leagues, plain and simple.

It's the next step towards a Euro Super League

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement