Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Also for those who think this new conference nonsense will give LoI clubs a better chance to meet the big clubs, well, Shamrock Rovers have played both Juve and Milan in the EL in the last ten years.

So that's that point put to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

sugarman wrote: »
    YES!

We will never see the likes of Red Star Belgrade, Steaua Bucuresti, Malmö, Club Bruge or even Celtic in a Champions League final again. As is, its unlikely you see them play in the competition at all.

This gave me a wee laugh.....Celtic can't even get to the groups any more.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

This is what’s proposed, I assume the FAI had some say in it.

Really depends on the money, for instance Dundalk Were guaranteed 800k this year while Bohs Derry and Rovers only guaranteed 240k. Some difference and you can still draw the Ac Milan’s of this world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Also for those who think this new conference nonsense will give LoI clubs a better chance to meet the big clubs, well, Shamrock Rovers have played both Juve and Milan in the EL in the last ten years.

So that's that point put to bed.

Who said it's a better chance of meeting a bigger.

Dundalk will have played 4 games by Thurs (1 Champions League and 3 Europa League) and played basically 3 unknown teams and a few would know of Sheriff.

If Dundalk are in this new competiton the sides they could potentially face based on positions last season are Everton, Hibs, Spurs, Valencia, Sociedad, Napoli, Wolfsberg so your theory that they have far less chance of playing a bigger team is not true at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

At the end of the day with this new UEFA Conference League or whatever it's called, if there is a worthwhile financial reward for progressing through qualifying and making the group stages then it's a positive for our clubs. Right now European money is the only significant bit of investment our top clubs get if they make it through a few rounds, I don't think Rovers or Dundalk or whoever will care what they are competing in if they have a chance of making one or two million by winning a few games.

Overall I think UEFA are setting this up to keep the bigger two tournaments for the big boys in an effort to stop a breakaway Super League, but from our own clubs perspectives I think it might be a positive thing (if the prize money is similar to EL). If our league winners can make it through the first CL qualifier each year then they would be guaranteed a Conference League playoff at a very minimum. It's all about the prize money on offer so until we know more about that hard to say I guess.

Both Ki and Dundalk would be guaranteed a place in the group stage depending on who loses.( I think) so, it depends on the money on offer ( which won’t match Europa League money.)

Who said it's a better chance of meeting a bigger.

In the Conference? scouserstation.
    Dundalk will have played 4 games by Thurs (1 Champions League and 3 Europa League) and played basically 3 unknown teams and a few would know of Sheriff.

If Dundalk are in this new competiton the sides they could potentially face based on positions last season are Everton, Hibs, Spurs, Valencia, Sociedad, Napoli, Wolfsberg so your theory that they have far less chance of playing a bigger team is not true at all.

Rovers didn't have to win that many ties to play Juve or Milan.

Also Pat's only had to win through two rounds to play Hertha and Hannover in the EL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Any chance St.Patrick’s score a goal tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Any chance St.Patrick’s score a goal tonight?
    Yeah Forrester with a nice finish outside the box with no Shels players seriously closing him down

I'm in disbelief any manager or a director of football could drop Ciaran Kilduff and Ryan Brennan in favour of Aaron Dobbs and Mark Byrne so Shels deserving of everything so far

• Advertisement

It will be a miracle if Shels avoid returning to the First Division in 2021. 2013 season grim level of football on show and we have a higher budget than that disastrous season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Goal rush for Pats...two goals..

The only thing of importance is European prizemoney per round relative to league prizemoney. Playing more rounds against 'lower' opposition is not a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Almost as if a club with ****all budget giving a manager with 1 years experience a 3 year deal was absolute f*ckin bonkers.

Desperately need a draw tomorrow.

Hard to see us picking up more than two points for the rest of the season.

Should be enough for Pat's to be safe.

Worst performance of the season from Shels which have been getting worse, it really was clueless stuff all around. Any chance to steal 8th spot will depend on Cork and Harps drawing tomorrow, otherwise I would be confident Drogheda or Bray will defeat us in a play-off if we finish 9th

CSF wrote: »
    Almost as if a club with ****all budget giving a manager with 1 years experience a 3 year deal was absolute f*ckin bonkers.
    Yeah I mean it wouldn't have been too crazy to extend to 2021 but 2022 really is crazy since he is unproven at Premier Division level. I'm not blaming him for all our difficulties this season since the DOF setup at the club was never going to work. Who honestly makes Karl Sheppard your top paid player and signs Paul f'n Skinner as your goalkeeping coach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

kksaints wrote: »
    I'd say next Saturday's match would be a good game for a under 2.5 goal bet.

Got this right as well! :D

Deserved win for us. Controlled most of the game only gave Shels one good chance in the first few minutes. Forrester's goal was a superb strike, not the first cracker he's scored against Shels. Benson worked his socks off and Burns who came on as a sub looks a very impressive prospect. Just need to make sure we don't lose to either Cork or Harps now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status/1309955188057354242

Forrester's goal tonight for those who missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Yeah I mean it wouldn't have been too crazy to extend to 2021 but 2022 really is crazy since he is unproven at Premier Division level. I'm not blaming him for all our difficulties this season since the DOF setup at the club was never going to work. Who honestly makes Karl Sheppard your top paid player and signs Paul f'n Skinner as your goalkeeping coach

I don’t understand how he’s in a position to be anything other than year to year. Who were we trying to avoid taking him?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If City somehow manage a win tomorrow, things become very interesting between the bottom 4.
    A loss and it's bye bye in reality I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

IF Rovers beat Dundalk tomorrow, and IF they win on Thursday, will be interesting to see how they manage this potential fixtures pile-up.

Waterford showing some recent consistency in 4th, but Derry away will tell us a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It's the next step towards a Euro Super League

Can’t wait for this . Real Madrid playing PSG four times a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    In a stadium full of tourists.

dfx- wrote: »

The only thing of importance is European prizemoney per round relative to league prizemoney. Playing more rounds against 'lower' opposition is not a bad thing.

Linfield being a case in point. €1m by starting in the preliminaries. They are also a warning to Dundalk, don’t take teams for granted.
    hardback wrote: »
    IF Rovers beat Dundalk tomorrow, and IF they win on Thursday, will be interesting to see how they manage this potential fixtures pile-up.

Waterford showing some recent consistency in 4th, but Derry away will tell us a lot.

This is not the town team of 2016 who managed to squeeze in 12 European fixtures between winning the league and getting to a cup final. But they’ll do fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

2 goals in the one match!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus the first division is mental

Wexford beating 8-0 a few weeks ago end up beating Cabinteely who are in the top 5 team 5-1

Mental is right. I know people will rightly heap praise on the Harry Kenny addition, but that can't be the whole story. Cabo must have massive problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    If City somehow manage a win tomorrow, things become very interesting between the bottom 4.
    A loss and it's bye bye in reality I think.

We tend to mess up these games... Can't say I feel confident :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's the next step towards a Euro Super League
    Dr. Bre wrote: »

Honestly, I despair at how things have been going the last decade. The monotony of the fixtures now.

I can't be arsed watching the CL anymore. Once the Irish interest is gone from the EL I lose interest in that as well.

How anyone thinks a Super League is a good idea I dunno...

The way international soccer is slowly being segregated as well is showing signs of the sheen coming off there as well.

As I have said before on other threads on multiple fora, the day they looked at Ajax and saw a "smaller club" was the day UEFA really began to eat itself.

I'm really looking forward to the implosion... it'll have nothing on us in 2006/7...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Totally agree. I think top level football is already dying. Covid is helping speed it up.

I know many people were excited about the new seasons starting, but I haven't watched one game since it all kicked off again, in any European league.

As for the Ajax smaller club thing, when did that happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

NIMAN wrote: »
    As for the Ajax smaller club thing, when did that happen?

Must be referring to the Netherlands euro spots.

Ironically I remember fancying them to win the whole CL
    a year or two ago myself. They got to the semifinal and looked wonderful. Think they were EL finalists a year or two before that too.

• Advertisement

How anyone thinks a Super League is a good idea I dunno...

With regard to the CL as it stands, a lot of people.

Bayern, Barca, RM, Liverpool, Juve and the usual suspects generate the cash.

If UEFA thought that Slavia Prague v Rosenborg would bring in more money, the system would change in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

dreamers75 wrote: »

Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to fine Pats for that.

hardybuck wrote: »

Be very hard for us getting anything tonight. I'd expect the team to be
    McCarey
    Dummigan
    Boyle
    U 19
    U 19
    Gatt
    Flores
    Shields
    McEleney (get 55/60 into him)
    Colovic
    Oduwa
    McMillian

Be very hard for us getting anything tonight. I'd expect the team to be
    McCarey
    Dummigan
    Boyle
    U 19
    U 19
    Gatt
    Flores
    Shields
    McEleney (get 55/60 into him)
    Colovic
    Oduwa
    McMillian

+1 though I expect Pickering if he’s fit might show

Couldn’t be better for Rovers ( or FAI)

joeysoap wrote: »
    +1 though I expect Pickering if he’s fit might show

Couldn’t be better for Rovers ( or FAI)

That's nonsense, the game 100% should be played. We going to look for every game before group stages to be postponed if we get through Thurs?

You can't say it can you?

Rovers are champs (long ago) well deserved too

Sundays team to include McCarey, Dummiggan, patching, Flores, Boyle, McMillan

We’ll see

That's nonsense, the game 100% should be played. We going to look for every game before group stages to be postponed if we get through Thurs?

If we get through I would expect every Sunday for league games and Thursday for EL games. I’m just saying that the FAI ( in general ) are hoping for a Rovers league win. I base this one he Rovers match in Oriel last year. When Duffy scored the FAI ‘ boys’ left Oriel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

Nice one Raff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Is that Jimmy Corcoran the Irish underage keeper that was at Preston on Dundalk’s bench?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

More tension than skill, but 1-1 was a fair enough result.
    Live to fight another day.

Yes

( to Christy Browne)

Something good from the weekend!!! :o

All but relegated, awful stuff.

I think 9th is where we will finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Yes

( to Christy Browne)

Bit of a strange move for him, no? He could surely do better than 3rd choice if he looked down the table a little bit.

Relax there, we're giving it a helluva shot!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Ah now you're a point behind...
    We were brutal again like shels last week until raff was allowed a deeper role. ollie just has a few odd things he is persisting with that when we have natural players for the roles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus Rovers are unreal, let them play and your punished

Dundalk prob have 1 eye on Thursdays game which will be way more profitable for them if they win it (even lose it still get a nice bit of €€€)

Dundalk 2 don’t know how to park the bus. But Rovers are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

And that should be the league in the bag ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Jaysus. if I was Bohs I’d be lodging a complaint about Dundalk playing such a weakened team here!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement