Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

No integrity :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Jaysus. if I was Bohs I’d be lodging a complaint about Dundalk playing such a weakened team here!

Potentially 3 million reasons for it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Not a manager in the country that would do differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The problem with that thinking is their league form has been shocking, and this is essentially intentionally dropping points.

If they qualify, and get a three million euro windfall, great for them.

Do they then settle for that, or field weakened sides in the league before every European match to try to pick up wins and draws in the group, and get more money?

If they drop too many points, they won't qualify for Europe next year.

There's already talk of Peak6 walking away. If they don't qualify for Europe, then they almost certainly will, and take that windfall with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Lovely goal from Jack Byrne there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

I gave up watching the match at half time but from the first 45 minutes you can see how terrible Dundalks recruitment has been.

Oduwa has all the physical attributes but I'd say he is uncoachable. Trying flicks and tricks to make a fool of the defender instead of doing the basics of getting the ball in the box. Sunshine player, went missing completely when he had to defend

Gatt make Joe Lapira look like Messi. Literally stealing a living

Patching really poor too

Dundalk due a cleaout. With gatt leading. Unfortunate that Gannon and Massey both injured. Never going to catch Rovers anyway. I doubt they'll play such a weak side again, the likes of Thursday's opportunity only comes once in a while. Let's hope they can take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Can only beat what's in front of you and Rovers did that easily tonight. Worthy winners of the league.

A lot of the fringe players for Dundalk aren't good enough and need to be replaced if we are to challenge Rovers next season. How difficult that challenge will be will depend on Jack Byrne. He is far too good for this league and would be next to impossible to replace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yep, and if roles were different and Bohs were in Europe and playing Dundalk who were going with Rovers for the league, Bohs would gleefully, I mean professionally, put out a weakened side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't know about that, they are gambling it all on the €3m, but it shows the recruitment as poor and there's a lot of the regulars out of contract I thought.

With 5 subs, isn't even half a game against Rovers better preparation than a training session? Perth said at the resumption that their squad is built for 50 games, but not it would seem three in a week.

Great performance from Rovers regardless, super fourth goal. Two wins and a draw from five games to go. Tough game against Sligo up next..

• Advertisement

In today’s Sunday Times, Spurs paid €20m for Doherty. That’s gives bohs €2m which probably keeps Keith Long from selling. Bohs should be thereabouts next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't know about that, they are gambling it all on the €3m, but it shows the recruitment as poor and there's a lot of the regulars out of contract I thought.

With 5 subs, isn't even half a game against Rovers better preparation than a training session? Perth said at the resumption that their squad is built for 50 games, but not it would seem three in a week.

Great performance from Rovers regardless, super fourth goal. Two wins and a draw from five games to go. Tough game against Sligo up next..

They made a sensible decision to rest players ahead of a more important fixture.

The risk of LOI players getting injured on a plastic pitch tonight, a few days after a penalty shootout win in Moldova, must be fairly high. Even higher when they were in Andorra the week before, and then you've also got to match the intensity of the champions elect.

Looking at the quality of their replacements tonight, I can see why the manager is desperate to have his first choice XI available for Thursday.

In tonights match program the manager says they arrived back in Dublin on Friday with no sleep and tonight’s match was not ideal before next weeks match
    After 90 mins + extra time + penalties he was clearly correct, anyway even if we had won, it was only postponing the inevitable. Rovers are the better team.

joeysoap wrote: »
    In today’s Sunday Times, Spurs paid €20m for Doherty. That’s gives bohs €2m which probably keeps Keith Long from selling. Bohs should be thereabouts next year

You're assuming that money will be just given to Long to piss away.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The problem with that thinking is their league form has been shocking, and this is essentially intentionally dropping points.

If they qualify, and get a three million euro windfall, great for them.

Do they then settle for that, or field weakened sides in the league before every European match to try to pick up wins and draws in the group, and get more money?

If they drop too many points, they won't qualify for Europe next year.

There's already talk of Peak6 walking away. If they don't qualify for Europe, then they almost certainly will, and take that windfall with them.

There has been little or no talk of Peak 6 walking away unless you can show otherwise

People assume they will walk away,, big difference

There has been little or no talk of Peak 6 walking away unless you can show otherwise

People assume they will walk away,, big difference

Bill is doing a great job picking the team rom his Florida hide out, direct contact to Fil via an earpiece in the dugout. Peak6 havent put a penny of their own cash in and are only living off the last Euro run...sure it is a toy and they are only in it for the millions to be earned every season in the LOI. They will walk now....sure havent they said from day one they were only short term and wanted to rebuild Oriel within 6 months of the takeover and lumber the club with debts. Havent kept a promise them Yanks......:rolleyes::rolleyes:;):D

I don't know about that, they are gambling it all on the €3m,

Gambling what? There was no gamble at all last night it was a calculated decision and the correct one. I've heard a few grumblings from the odd fan but the vast majority are happy with the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Bill is doing a great job picking the team rom his Florida hide out, direct contact to Fil via an earpiece in the dugout. Peak6 havent put a penny of their own cash in and are only living off the last Euro run...sure it is a toy and they are only in it for the millions to be earned every season in the LOI. They will walk now....sure havent they said from day one they were only short term and wanted to rebuild Oriel within 6 months of the takeover and lumber the club with debts. Havent kept a promise them Yanks......:rolleyes::rolleyes:;):D

Having been at the first meeting with Peak6 they never said they were there for the short run and they never said they would rebuild Oriel at any time.

They stated they wanted to continue to have success on the pitch - they were a penalty shootout away from a clean sweep last season. This season they are still in the cup and with a good chance of making the Europa League group stages again.

They stated that they were going to invest in player facilities in the short to medium term - they have put in state of the art player facilities in the YDC with over half a million euro spent.

They stated the ground would be looked at long term with regards to the lease, funding / grants available, planning, etc. I really hope they do up the ground ASAP but start with facilities for home fans first and do the away end last.

Anybody who was at that meeting would be able to confirm exactly what was or wasn't said but don't let the truth get in the way of your wee made up story :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

doncarlos wrote: »
    Gambling what? There was no gamble at all last night it was a calculated decision and the correct one. I've heard a few grumblings from the odd fan but the vast majority are happy with the decision.

To be fair, had the situation been reversed I'd have been livid had Stephen Bradley put out anything other than an understrength team. I think most grounded people would feel the same.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    To be fair, had the situation been reversed I'd have been livid had Stephen Bradley put out anything other than an understrength team. I think most grounded people would feel the same.

On paper, the team we put out wasn't terrible either but a combination of players not being good enough in reality
    and Rovers excellent performance ended up in such a one sided result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

On paper, the team we put out wasn't terrible either but a combination of players not being good enough in reality
    and Rovers excellent performance ended up in such a one sided result.

In reality it wasn't 'that' weak a side, I suspect any other team in the league would have found it a tough game, it was just unfortunate for Dundalk they come up against a Rovers team with the bit between their teeth and full of confidence.

On a tangent (& not directed at you doncarlos), Talk of this game handing Rovers the league is utter nonsense too, both Bohs & Dundalk have had 2 chances in direct head to heads to beat Rovers and Rovers have won all 4, so relying on others to do your work for you doesn't really wash. The Dundalk team that dominated recently, to their credit, went out & beat their nearest rivals without relying on others to cover their own shortcomings, Rovers this year have done that too & anyone attempting to diminish the achievement, should we go on & lift the title, just come across as petty & bitter.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

are we taking bets on when the "Tainted Title" and "asterisk champions" shouts are gonna start?

In reality it wasn't 'that' weak a side, I suspect any other team in the league would have found it a tough game, it was just unfortunate for Dundalk they come up against a Rovers team with the bit between their teeth and full of confidence.

On a tangent (& not directed at you doncarlos), Talk of this game handing Rovers the league is utter nonsense too, both Bohs & Dundalk have had 2 chances in direct head to heads to beat Rovers and Rovers have won all 4, so relying on others to do your work for you doesn't really wash. The Dundalk team that dominated recently, to their credit, went out & beat their nearest rivals without relying on others to cover their own shortcomings, Rovers this year have done that too & anyone attempting to diminish the achievement, should we go on & lift the title, just come across as petty & bitter.

Agreed. Total nonsense. Regardless of last night's Result, Rovers will win the league easily and bar a hangover from celebrations or playing some 15 year olds from the academy in the last few games to boost their value they could go through the season unbeaten.

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    are we taking bets on when the "Tainted Title" and "asterisk champions" shouts are gonna start?

Will it though? It didn't work out for Dundalk as we are notorious show starters from pre-season and we ended up having two... but Covid is a once in a lifetime event and playing once home and away is the fairest way of doing things. If we played a third round and Rovers ended up with an extra home game against Dundalk and Bohs maybe some of those shouts might be justified.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Zebra3 wrote: »
    You're assuming that money will be just given to Long to piss away.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

He won't, playing budget will remain the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Having been at the first meeting with Peak6 they never said they were there for the short run and they never said they would rebuild Oriel at any time.

They stated they wanted to continue to have success on the pitch - they were a penalty shootout away from a clean sweep last season. This season they are still in the cup and with a good chance of making the Europa League group stages again.

They stated that they were going to invest in player facilities in the short to medium term - they have put in state of the art player facilities in the YDC with over half a million euro spent.

They stated the ground would be looked at long term with regards to the lease, funding / grants available, planning, etc. I really hope they do up the ground ASAP but start with facilities for home fans first and do the away end last.

How come you were at the meeting?
    And you appear to have a positive view of Peak6. Is that the general mood amongst Dundalk supporters?
    Genuine Qs - just in case you think its loaded!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

How come you were at the meeting?
    And you appear to have a positive view of Peak6. Is that the general mood amongst Dundalk supporters?
    Genuine Qs - just in case you think its loaded!

Supporters were invited to apply for tickets to attend which I did and attended. There were many questions asked from the floor and all the investors spoke at the meeting.

It's not that I have a positive view of Peak6 but rather stating what we were told at the time and much of it is true up to the Vinny Perth / Bill Hulsizer fiasco. I think it's just silly and childish a lot of the stories which are being made up.

The supporters are rightly apprehensive, more so this season after what's happened but we're in the main realistic about issues like the ground as Peak6 stated they wouldn't be into building Real Estate on somebody elses land so the whole land lease would need to be looked at before funding the project.

Bare in mind there was a project on the table a number of years ago for a municipal stadium to be built up at the DKIT for football, rugby and GAA but the GAA wouldn't share and pressed ahead with their own plans.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wuff Wuff wrote: »

Shamrock Rovers are undefeated. Anyone calling it tainted or unworthy is either kidding themselves or on the wind-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Undefeated, and home and away wins against the reigning champions, and their closest rivals.

Most Dundalk supporters believe him Connolly and Browne didn’t sell the club without due diligence. Mike Tracey was a very popular chairman but he moved from Chicago to Los Angeles ( to support his wife) and the difference was just too much. I have seen nowhere that Peak6 are walking, despite some people’s hopes.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40055207.html

• Advertisement

Most Dundalk supporters believe him Connolly and Browne didn’t sell the club without due diligence. Mike Tracey was a very popular chairman but he moved from Chicago to Los Angeles ( to support his wife) and the difference was just too much. I have seen nowhere that Peak6 are walking, despite some people’s hopes.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40055207.html

Maybe they will stay, but you think if they are thinking of doing a runner, it'll be common knowledge?

Maybe they will stay, but you think if they are thinking of doing a runner, it'll be common knowledge?

Considering if we win Thursday we won't see any of the money for nearly a year, we will have them for at least a year.

They have already came out and said any money made from this year would all be put back into the club and from been at the open meeting when they joined they have not broken any promises.

Considering if we win Thursday we won't see any of the money for nearly a year, we will have them for at least a year.

They have already came out and said any money made from this year would all be put back into the club and from been at the open meeting when they joined they have not broken any promises.

The naivety of it all.

They may stay, they may leave.

Arkaga broke no promises until they bolted out the door and the left the club in bits.

There's nothing to stop them getting a bank loan using the UEFA money as collateral and walking away.

There is at best, the less lucrative ECL for Dundalk next season.

Peak6 aren't some benevolent owner. There is no logic in them throwing the money back in to hope to win the league next year or the year after and again hope to do well in Europe. The odds just simply don't stack up.

Dundalk aren't as strong as when Peak6 took over and they face a far more formidable rival now financially to win the league.

The naivety of it all.

They may stay, they may leave.

Arkaga broke no promises until they bolted out the door and the left the club in bits.

There's nothing to stop them getting a bank loan using the UEFA money as collateral and walking away.

There is at best, the less lucrative ECL for Dundalk next season.

Peak6 aren't some benevolent owner. There is no logic in them throwing the money back in to hope to win the league next year or the year after and again hope to do well in Europe. The odds just simply don't stack up.

Dundalk aren't as strong as when Peak6 took over and they face a far more formidable rival now financially to win the league.

What naivety? So should all during Peak 6s ownership should we worry about them walking away every week or just accept they are the owners until they sell up?

I'm not saying they def won't walk away but they paid every single staff member wages during Covid and I'm led to believe new contracts are on the table for Duffy, Gannon, Hoare and few others although Gannon will not be resigning by all accounts but all others will. That to me does not sound like owners who are going to walk away, but I could be wrong

If I had a penny for every article that mentions Peak6 walking away I would be a very happy man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Gambling is a strong word probably - but they are all in on this year's EL group stages for money that is not transformative. How long would it take to burn through 3m with players out of contract or replacements to find?

Meanwhile they are not in Europe yet for next year - they have a difficult draw in the cup and in a battle for third/fourth/fifth place. It is a Faroese side at home they are facing on Thursday.

EL group stages this year but no EL qualifiers next year is unthinkable.

There were a lot of Rovers all in on sending the reserves up to Dundalk before the cup semi final last year but Bradley played the first team in both.

Gambling is a strong word probably - but they are all in on this year's EL group stages for money that is not transformative. How long would it take to burn through 3m with players out of contract or replacements to find?

Meanwhile they are not in Europe yet for next year - they have a difficult draw in the cup and in a battle for third/fourth/fifth place. It is a Faroese side at home they are facing on Thursday.

EL group stages this year but no EL qualifiers next year is unthinkable.

There were a lot of Rovers all in on sending the reserves up to Dundalk before the cup semi final last year but Bradley played the first team in both.

Realistically we will finish top 3 easily. I'd even fancy us to finish ahead of Bohs

grayzer75 wrote: »

Anybody who was at that meeting would be able to confirm exactly what was or wasn't said but don't let the truth get in the way of your wee made up story :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Calm down...I was there that night in the YDC and have been called everything under the sun here for supporting Peak6.

As you sad they set out their plan, answered questions and afterwards I had a good chat with one of the Americans at the top table afterwards. He spoke a lot of sense and made it very clear that the project was long term and not quick fix. Last year I met him at another event and once I mentioned Dundalk we had a drink and he was very positive. Only problem he seen was the lack of money in the LOI and the FAI however he was sure they could make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Realistically we will finish top 3 easily. I'd even fancy us to finish ahead of Bohs

You won't be as confident if ye have to rely on some of those lads that togged out against Rovers.

Fixtures pile-up could be horrendous. Those last two games against Waterford and Sligo in particular would need to be rescheduled and fitted in to October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

If you win your 2 games in hand your 4 points back with 5 to play so not insurmountable but will be tough especially if you win on Thursday and make the Europa League group stages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Getting into the group stages would be worth risking European football next season for Dundalk.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Are Dundalk not a professional outfit? Why can't they play two games a week?

2 is ok.

4 in 11 Days is pushing it a bit especially when one was in Moldova
    Thursday - Moldova . Sunday - Oriel. Thursday - Aviva. Presumably next Sunday - Oriel.

The team is generally 4 years older now.

I needed a day ‘recovering’ when I went to Spain or Portugal- and I was relaxing on a lounger. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

2 is ok.

Thursday - Moldova . Sunday - Oriel. Thursday - Aviva. Presumably next Sunday - Oriel.

I needed a day ‘recovering’ when I went to Spain or Portugal- and I was relaxing on a lounger. :)
    Sligo Rovers are playing three games in six days this week and aren't getting millions of euros in return for it either.

The added money could be spent on improving the squad to ensure they can fulfill their fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Nice video. Never going to happen though!
    Tallaght will probably get the extra stand some time, not sure about any of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Nice video. Never going to happen though!
    Tallaght will probably get the extra stand some time, not sure about any of the rest.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0612/1147057-tallaght-stadium-to-get-new-stand-in-7-7m-upgrade/

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

2 is ok.

Your 11 days run from Thursday to Sunday. You have disregarded the 3 days prior to the Thursday when you haven't played a game. Include those and it's 4 games in 14 days. 2 games a week. This is something that any professional team hoping to compete in Europe should be able to maintain. Every other club in Europe does it.

I hope Dundalk win their game, and I always support LOI clubs in Europe. But this cancellation of fixtures - does any other league do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Cool video but i thought that Pat's stadium was already dead in the water? Both Dalymount and Finn Harps' plans have been scaled back dramatically from what was shown there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Your 11 days run from Thursday to Sunday. You have disregarded the 3 days prior to the Thursday when you haven't played a game. Include those and it's 4 games in 14 days. 2 games a week. This is something that any professional team hoping to compete in Europe should be able to maintain. Every other club in Europe does it.

I hope Dundalk win their game, and I always support LOI clubs in Europe. But this cancellation of fixtures - does any other league do this?

Eredivisie:)
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0429/1046457-tv-money-means-spurs-cant-complain-says-ajax-boss/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement