Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

dan1895 wrote: »
    Cool video but i thought that Pat's stadium was already dead in the water? Both Dalymount and Finn Harps' plans have been scaled back dramatically from what was shown there too.

Yes Patricks one is dead. Thankfully.
    Stadiums like these are completely nonsensical.
    1) Infrastructure is not there to facilitate them.
    2) The fan base is not there to fill them.
    3) Finance is not there to maintain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

It looks like they will be breaking ground on the 4th stand in Tallaght within the next few months, Dalymount is currently at the architectural design stage and I'd say finn harps will eventually get funding to complete their main stand and pitch, as for St Pats new stadium, it's never gonna happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

It looks like they will be breaking ground on the 4th stand in Tallaght within the next few months, Dalymount is currently at the architectural design stage and I'd say finn harps will eventually get funding to complete their main stand and pitch, as for St Pats new stadium, it's never gonna happen

We (harps) were supposed to have been announced in the last grant announcements... And to our surprise were left out. Got told it was because a report was missing (which had been forwarded 6 months prior).
    Then told it would progress to the next stage as if it had been announced but tumbleweeds since.

Funding had been scaled down to the half built main stand and clubhouse alright. There is phases for stage 2 (stand opposite) and 3, 2 terraces behind goals like the current town end but no dates... Not like there is a date for phase 1 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Would St Pat's ever contemplate moving beyond the M50 to somewhere like Lucan or Blanch? Or has this already been mooted?

Two big populations, without a team. Little or no rugby clubs out there, GAA has a solid footing but no world beaters out there.

Property in Inchicore and Kilmainham is highly sought after these days.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    Would St Pat's ever contemplate moving beyond the M50 to somewhere like Lucan or Blanch? Or has this already been mooted?

Two big populations, without a team. Little or no rugby clubs out there, GAA has a solid footing but no world beaters out there.

Property in Inchicore and Kilmainham is highly sought after these days.

No thanks. What about the people of Inchicore and Kilmainham?

Property! St. Michaels estate was built on one of the worst slums in Dublin. The area was and is still in desperate need of facilities not more "property".

Ireland should be striving to improve each of our communities and strengthen our neighborhood's. Not exploit them for short term gain.

St.Patrick's Athletic is part of the community.
    St. Michael's would be the perfect place to build Mini pitches & playgrounds.

Iceland football success has been built on Mini pitches all over the country, mostly next to schools. The aim was to give children a chance to play football, purely for fun, in good and safe conditions – school ground, artificial pitch, walls around the pitch, lit with floodlights wherever possible. In short, these mini pitches have been in constant use ever since they were built.

All the new indoor fields are publicly owned, meaning access is much easier than in comparable facilities that are privately financed and carry steep rental charges.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2015/09/10/iceland-qualify-euro-2016-uefa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Funding from where?

The state is screwed. Borrowing money hand over fist to live beyond its' means.

People don't seem to realise that all this covid borrowing has to be paid back.

Higher taxes, public services cut back and people expect politicians to start writing cheques for new LoI grounds? :pac:

Talking to one of my mates who goes to watch Leinster and he was saying he doesn't expect the Anglesea Road stand to get redeveloped at the RDS any time soon and all that's waiting on is the state to sign off on the grant.

Dalymount is only at the design stage and still needs to go through the PP stage. The Pat's thing is already dead as has been pointed out.

The next LoI ground funding really should be going to Finn Harps new ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is there anything to be said for reviving Sporting Fingal? :o

Is there anything to be said for reviving Sporting Fingal? :o

If they had their own ground out in Lusk or somewhere, I'd say yes.

Santry was too cityish.

All they need is money, I guess. :pac:

The people of Inchicore and Kilmainham in that scenario would have the opportunity to go 5-10 miles up the road to watch the club play in a modern stadium and perhaps win a few titles funded by the money raised from the move.

No skin in this game at all BTW - but would seem like a sensible long term move on paper.

• Advertisement

The people of Inchicore and Kilmainham in that scenario would have the opportunity to go 5-10 miles up the road to watch the club play in a modern stadium and perhaps win a few titles funded by the money raised from the move.

No skin in this game at all BTW - but would seem like a sensible long term move on paper.

We dont care about titles as much as we care about our club, community & children.
    Im genuinely sorry i dont mean to be dismissive. I can of course see the money side of it but it's not sensible at all to those who live in the area, support local and have done since the 50's.

We dont care about titles as much as we care about our club, community & children.
    Im genuinely sorry i dont mean to be dismissive. I can of course see the money side of it but it's not sensible at all to those who live in the area, support local and have done since the 50's.

My understanding was that the site was to be used for community facilities such as a shopping centre, a library, a community centre, as well as social and affordable housing?

Seems as though the area would be a lot better off if they moved out of Richmond Park at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Meanwhile, the GAA have no such worries

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/new-louth-gaa-stadium-given-the-go-ahead/amp/

On our earlier topic : I don’t think KI have played a match in league since they hoykeyed Dinamo Tbilisi.

https://int.soccerway.com/teams/faroe-islands/klaksvikar-itrottarfelag-klaksvik/798/

Anybody know where the match officials are from. We got mugged in Andorra by the ref and not much better in Moldova, where Chris Shields was booked for time wasting when we trying to win the match and were totally on top at the time.

The St. Michaels "development" is going ahead with "community facilities and open spaces"!!
    For anybody familiar with the area (& it's history) it's a complete over development and misuse of the site.
    Without wanting to be political - Its gross incompetence from government/council and history repeating itself again. And Again unfortunately.
    https://www.echo.ie/ballyfermot/article/fully-integrated-design-team-selected-for-st-michael-s-estate

I refer back to my other post at what should have been done with the site. The area needs regenerating - open spaces & football (not a stadium) could have played a huge part in that.

St.Patrick's Athletic leaving Richmond Park is not any kind of solution that benefits the community or the club for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

joeysoap wrote: »

On our earlier topic : I don’t think KI have played a match in thrift league since they hoykeyed Dinamo Tbilisi.

https://int.soccerway.com/teams/faroe-islands/klaksvikar-itrottarfelag-klaksvik/798/

Anybody know where the match officials are from. We got mugged in Andorra by the ref and not much better in Moldova, where Chris Shields was booked for time wasting when we trying to win the match and were totally on top at the time.

Italian match officials on Thursday night - hopefully relatives of Fillipo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Good to see Stephen Kenny recognising good performances in the League.....

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Funding from where?

Higher taxes, public services cut back and people expect politicians to start writing cheques for new LoI grounds? :pac:

Talking to one of my mates who goes to watch Leinster and he was saying he doesn't expect the Anglesea Road stand to get redeveloped at the RDS any time soon and all that's waiting on is the state to sign off on the grant.

Dalymount is only at the design stage and still needs to go through the PP stage. The Pat's thing is already dead as has been pointed out.

The next LoI ground funding really should be going to Finn Harps new ground.

I agree, I think funding for the stranolar project should get the go ahead in the next round of approvals,

There's no doubt that sports capital grants will be effected over the next few years but some projects will still go ahead,

I reckon the Dalymount development still has a good chance of getting off the ground as its part of an over all Phibsboro area plan which includes community facilities and a library as well as pending the sale of Tolka Park which is to go towards the funding of the project,

Sports grants still get approval during recession times although inevitably there will be delays with some projects as a result of funding cuts

I agree, I think funding for the stranolar project should get the go ahead in the next round of approvals,

There's no doubt that sports capital grants will be effected over the next few years but some projects will still go ahead,

I reckon the Dalymount development still has a good chance of getting off the ground as its part of an over all Phibsboro area plan which includes community facilities and a library as well as pending the sale of Tolka Park which is to go towards the funding of the project,

Sports grants still get approval during recession times although inevitably there will be delays with some projects as a result of funding cuts

I think we can discuss funding for Dalymount after it gets PP. It's Ireland, and that's a long way off. There'll be a lot of people upset as well if they go for the 6,000 capacity option.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Funding from where?

It doesn't really though, it just needs to be serviced (which is cheap for the foreseeable). Most national debt won't be paid back, just rolled over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

joeysoap wrote: »

On our earlier topic : I don’t think KI have played a match in league since they hoykeyed Dinamo Tbilisi.

Louth GAA have a certain Peter F. sitting as their chairman and sitting in the Dáil. Was told when he resigned from FG that the ground was certain as part of the keep your mouth shut deal he got for going quietly.

Match officials will be Italian if I remember rightly from James Rogers Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Italian match officials on Thursday night - hopefully relatives of Fillipo :D

Will be some craic with the 2 lads on the Irish bench being able to get at them in their own language.....plenty of Mama Mias....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I think we can discuss funding for Dalymount after it gets PP. It's Ireland, and that's a long way off. There'll be a lot of people upset as well if they go for the 6,000 capacity option.

I was under the impression the 6,000 capacity wasn't so much an "option" as the plan now.
    Dalymount will do well to be a 2 sided ground open some time towards the end of this decade.

It took over 25 years from planing to where Tallaght stadium is now. Dalymount probably will happen but it won't be half the stadium that was planned originally and it'll take donkeys years to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I was under the impression the 6,000 capacity wasn't so much an "option" as the plan now.
    Dalymount will do well to be a 2 sided ground open some time towards the end of this decade.

It took over 25 years from planing to where Tallaght stadium is now. Dalymount probably will happen but it won't be half the stadium that was planned originally and it'll take donkeys years to finish.

"Phase one" will be a plastic pitch and a stand. Then things will remain like that for a decade or two. Basically just the Athlone Town Stadium in Dublin.

The reasons for the delay in getting Tallaght stadium off the ground have been well documented over the years and is a whole other discussion, however within a couple of years of SDCC taking over the stadium they had it developed into a 6000 capacity stadium, and this was during a recession, why would you think it would be a problem for Dublin city council which have a lot more clout and finance, to deliver a project like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

The reasons for the delay in getting Tallaght stadium off the ground have been well documented over the years and is a whole other discussion, however within a couple of years of SDCC taking over the stadium they had it developed into a 6000 capacity stadium, and this was during a recession, why would you think it would be a problem for Dublin city council which have a lot more clout and finance, to deliver a project like this?

What is the current status of the Dalymount redevelopment? I know that currently it is at the point of the design being put together by engineers and architects. But beyond that have the planning permission issues with Tesco being resolved and when do they plan on going for the planning approval and updates on realistic timelines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Very thankful to have WatchLOI tonight and not sitting in the showgrounds in the cold watching this dreadful match :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Simply because I don't believe for a second their primary motivation in buying Tolka and Dalymount was to redevelop Dalymount.
    Tolka will be a housing estate and a portion of the land Dalymount sits on is for the same.

Since the redevelopment was announced its already reduced in capacity from 10-8-6k but the time line has been kicked further down the road.

Also don't think it's fair to say Tallaght was built during a recession. Think the two stands were built during the boom, funding was definitely secured when there was money to burn. Once the two stands were open it was just about channelling property tax funds into building the first stand behind he goal and now the second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Oat23 wrote: »
    Very thankful to have WatchLOI tonight and not sitting in the showgrounds in the cold watching this dreadful match :D

Crucial win for Sligo tonight and adds a bit of pressure for Waterford going into the weekends game away to Derry

Interesting few weeks ahead

Whats the story with fixture scheduling if Dundalk reach the groups later in the week?

They are scheduled at home to Sligo Rovers to finish the season on the 30th (everyone keeps saying the league HAS to be finished by the 30th) but Matchday 2 of the Europa League is scheduled for the 29th.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    Whats the story with fixture scheduling if Dundalk reach the groups later in the week?

They are scheduled at home to Sligo Rovers to finish the season on the 30th (everyone keeps saying the league HAS to be finished by the 30th) but Matchday 2 of the Europa League is scheduled for the 29th.

The league games would have to be moved forward I suppose wouldn't they? Can't see the likes of Sligo or Waterford agreeing to pay their players for another couple of weeks to suit Dundalk.

At least Your cup match against Derry isn’t until 14/11.

FWIW Dundalk have 7 league matches left, starting on 4th. Hopefully we’ll qualify and that then will rule out 30th ( unless the FAI are happy for Dundalk to field a weaker team)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We are so bad it's untrue.

We need change at the club very quickly.

The league games would have to be moved forward I suppose wouldn't they? Can't see the likes of Sligo or Waterford agreeing to pay their players for another couple of weeks to suit Dundalk.

We'll still be paying our players in November as the FAI cup is being played throughout the month. Just curious what the FAI will decide to do as the Europa League group stage is condensed due to the late start.

MD 1: Oct 22
    MD 2: Oct 29
    MD 3: Nov 5th

Potentially move the Dundalk/Rovers game from Friday the 30th to Sunday the 1st, but I've no idea how strict the rules are regarding all matches on the final day taking place at the same time, or is it even a rule? I'm sure Rovers won't mind having it moved if it's possible. It could end up being a massive match for Dundalk/Rovers/Waterford when it comes to European places depending on how things play out the next few weeks.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    We are so bad it's untrue.

We need change at the club very quickly.

I thought ye were very unlucky tonight. There were 2 or 3 great chances where the ball went inches wide of the far post and then of course Figueira hitting the post as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not just a statement based on tonight's game, but our season in general.

It's gone from bad to worse, and I am worried we will get involved in a relegation battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

If there had been a winner between harps and cork, maybe you could look over your shoulder. I cant see either getting 4 more points than derry/shels with the run in unless something drastically changes.... like Ollie putting his team out to play football for 90mins...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It took 14 months or so with the Judicial Review in December 2007 from the shell to the opening game in 2009 and a second stand for a capacity of 6,000 by mid 2009 in about 18 months. It can be done, but there needs to be the will like the SDCC showed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Kind of surreal an Irish club and a club from the Faroe Islands fighting it out to get to the group stages of the 2nd biggest European club competition

The Faroe club won't know what to do with that kind of money

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

PTH2009 wrote: »

They should give their players and coaches gigantic bonuses and inflate their wage bill over the next few seasons, now that they are a European club in Klaksvik.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

They should give their players and coaches gigantic bonuses and inflate their wage bill over the next few seasons, now that they are a European club in Klaksvik.

Well of course their players and managers will be due a bonus, that's what happens. The more money a club has the more money they have to spend on players so naturally the wage bill will go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Kind of surreal an Irish club and a club from the Faroe Islands fighting it out to get to the group stages of the 2nd biggest European club competition

Neither will the Irish one ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I'm in disbelief any manager or a director of football could drop Ciaran Kilduff and Ryan Brennan in favour of Aaron Dobbs and Mark Byrne so Shels deserving of everything so far

Mind boggling, Saturday was horrendous. It's extremely worrying we bottled games we should have won against Harps & Cork... failure to put games to bed/see them out will probably see us struggling come the end of next month.
    Tolka will be a housing estate and a portion of the land Dalymount sits on is for the same.

Can't see property going onto Tolka tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Mind boggling, Saturday was horrendous. It's extremely worrying we bottled games we should have won against Harps & Cork... failure to put games to bed/see them out will probably see us struggling come the end of next month.

Can't see property going onto Tolka tbh.

Is Tolka Park prone to flooding? If it's a flood plain then it shouldn't be used for housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

kksaints wrote: »
    Is Tolka Park prone to flooding? If it's a flood plain then it shouldn't be used for housing.

Hasn't flooded in years but I really doubt it's suitable for housing given the strong possibility of flooding.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Surely being a flood plain makes it prime candidate for housing?

tastyt wrote: »
    Neither will the Irish one ☺️

KI are not full-time professionals. That would be the first change i presume.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0930/1168356-beating-dundalk-could-transform-faroese-football/

As much as i want Dundalk to get through i would also be happy for a club like KI to go through.

KI thumped D.Tblisi although Tblisi look brutal at the back.

Reminds me of a certain LOI ground

Not too shabby
    Got through 2 rounds last year before going out to Lucerne.

You have to click on Europa league

KI are not full-time professionals. That would be the first change i presume.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0930/1168356-beating-dundalk-could-transform-faroese-football/

As much as i want Dundalk to get through i would also be happy for a club like KI to go through.

KI thumped D.Tblisi although Tblisi look brutal at the back.

Look tidy in the air.

That’s not their home ground either by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Going by the Tbilisi highlights and the Young Boys Bern games they are capable of hurting us at set pieces which we have been bad at defending recently

Yeah they look good in the air.
    & at set pieces.

"In the last 10 games we have conceded only six goals, three of which came in the game with Young Boys, and scored 34."

"Our strength is certainly set pieces - we train on them every day and very strong.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0929/1168150-when-we-win-the-faroe-islands-might-take-a-day-off/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

BBC write up on the Faroese side
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54345231

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement