Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk were hoping for KI, KI were hoping for Dundalk.

You couldn’t have fixed it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Hasn't flooded in years but I really doubt it's suitable for housing given the strong possibility of flooding.

Perhaps not flooded, but what's up with the Ballybough End - sinking or collapsing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hope Dundalk qualify not just cause there an Irish club but it could work out in our favour (Waterford) as they will have a back log in fixtures and might fall behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hope Dundalk qualify not just cause there an Irish club but it could work out in our favour (Waterford) as they will have a back log in fixtures and might fall behind

I don't see the FAI forcing them into playing games a day or 2 after a Europa League one at the end of a season where every result will have huge ramifications for them and other teams around them in the European race.

They'll probably extend the season and let them play into the first week of November.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I don't see the FAI forcing them into playing games a day or 2 after a Europa League one at the end of a season where every result will have huge ramifications for them and other teams around them in the European race.

They'll probably extend the season and let them play into the first week of November.

As said by someone else, A few clubs might not be too pleased with a season extension as they will have to pay out more wages

Going to be a headache for the FAI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Who will pay the wages and other costs for the likes of Waterford after the season has supposed to have ended, when Waterford might be fighting for a European slot themselves?

No chance of an extension into November.

Played a cup final ( lost in extra time) 2 days after arriving home from a snowy St Petersburg. But cup final date was known well in advance. The league was over.

https://youtu.be/gGu_9nsWhik

We hit the post twice in St. Petersburg too. That was a Thursday night ( I do not know how many hours they are ahead of us, came home Friday and played the cup final on Sunday. To be fair that was some team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

If the entire populations of Dundalk and Klaksvik were let into the Aviva tonight there would still be empty seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dfx- wrote: »
    Perhaps not flooded, but what's up with the Ballybough End - sinking or collapsing?

Think "unstable" - so probably the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Think "unstable" - so probably the latter.

Yep, like the Connaught St side of Dalymount. Just old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Why was the Drumcondra end closed the last time we were there? More safety issues?

Been closed since the start of last season. I think it was a plumbing problem which led to an electrical problem. Council obviously had bigger priorities around the ground to fix before sorting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dan1895 wrote: »
    Been closed since the start of last season. I think it was a plumbing problem which led to an electrical problem. Council obviously had bigger priorities around the ground to fix before sorting it.

Some mad figures I heard DDC mention for getting it up to scratch, hefty 5 figure sums!

Some mad figures I heard DDC mention for getting it up to scratch, hefty 5 figure sums!

I too have struggled recently to find a value for money tradesman.

Obviously I want Dundalk to win tonight . But there’s an awful lot of costs involved If they win. Tallaght x 3 to rent. and they have to provide ‘ hospitality’ facilities over and above Tallaght .And no spectators ( just like Rovers if they get a plum draw., and they didn’t have to rent)
    Airplane hire x 6 (out and back). Hotels to book 2 nights x 3. And there’s the real possibility that they won’t get any more money from these 3 matches. I want them to win, but the downside isn’t awful if they don’t . ( pick up €1,380,000 and walk) just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

It really is incredible the draw Dundalk have got to make the Group Stages of the Europa League. There will never be an easier passage. Just when the wheels seemed to about to loosen or possibly fall off with all the stuff with Vinny Perth and the rumblings of unhappy players Dundalk get thrown this lifeline that is hard to fathom.
    There is pressure on Dundalk but they should be too good for any Faroe Island team. Losing tonight would be unthinkable for them and would be hard to see them recover if that happened. Dundalk to win 3-0.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Obviously I want Dundalk to win tonight . But there’s an awful lot of costs involved If they win. Tallaght x 3 to rent. and they have to provide ‘ hospitality’ facilities over and above Tallaght .And no spectators ( just like Rovers if they get a plum draw., and they didn’t have to rent)
    Airplane hire x 6 (out and back). Hotels to book 2 nights x 3. And there’s the real possibility that they won’t get any more money from these 3 matches. I want them to win, but the downside isn’t awful if they don’t . ( pick up €1,380,000 and walk) just saying.

What are the costs of those expences you said?

Tallaght Rent?
    Three return flights?
    Hotel for few nights?

Whatever the costs Dundalk will make a nice profit. And compared to all the other clubs in our league it is a ln absolute fortune. The thing is to spend it wisely but thats another issue altogether.

The Swiss champions couldn't even beat them 3-0 in Bern. These beat Dinamo Tblisi 6-1. They are no mugs.

The Swiss champions couldn't even beat them 3-0 in Bern. These beat Dinamo Tblisi 6-1. They are no mugs.

No one knows how serious Young Boys took that game. And from what i've read Tblisi are a pale shadow of themselves and are in disarray. Personally i'm not reading too much into that 6-1 scoreline. Once the wheels came off Tblisi they seemed to give up. I expect Dundalk to win tonight with relative comfort.

I've been around long enough to know Irish sides don't win European ties with comfort all that often.

Happy to be proven wrong tonight though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

What are the costs of those expences you said?

Tallaght Rent?
    Three return flights?
    Hotel for few nights?

Also add on some television money and increased sponsorship/commercial opportunities.

I've been around long enough to know Irish sides don't win European ties with comfort all that often.

Happy to be proven wrong tonight though.

True. But i've been around long enough to have never seen such a fortunate draw to get to the Group Stages of a European competition. Dundalk wont spurn this oppurtunity. At home as well. So much money at stake. Some great and experienced pros in that Dundalk team. They've done it before and know what needs to be done. I'm not a Dundalk fan at all but i would be a little shocked if they fail to win tonight.

Your right in the fact they certainly landed on their feet with the draw.

Really Dundalk should/could be playing Slovan Bratislava who were forced into giving the Faroe team a bye due to corona virus in the squad. Chances were Bratislava would have got through to this play off match.

That was lucky enough for the Faroe team but for Dundalk to have to beat a team from Andorra, Moldova and Faroe Islands to get into theEuropa League group is like winning the lottery. A three million lottery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

joeysoap wrote: »

Is there any possibility of even 10% of capacity being used in the group stages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

McEleney and Colovic in for Shields and Gannon tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Is this on telly tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Is this on telly tonight?

RTE 2 at 7pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What are the views on supporting LOI teams that aren't your own in Europe, as in Dundalk tonight for non Dundalk fans? Have seen a bit of debate on twitter about this during the week. Some asking why would you want another team in the league to do well and win a significant amount of money with the rest left behind.

The point was made to me that it probably isn't as beneficial for our coefficient as you'd think, each clubs seeding will be based on their own performances and we are not really at risk of getting an extra or losing a European place anytime soon.

I always want to see our teams do well though. I think that it raises the profile of the league, gets attention from neutrals and can only attract more fans to games. I first started going to LOI games after seeing Shels do so well in 2004. I know others who have gained more of an interest after Rovers and Dundalk in later years. Also feel that it is unfortunately one of the only ways we have of getting significant money into any of our clubs right now. The argument could be made it might make the league uncompetitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

What are the views on supporting LOI teams that aren't your own in Europe, as in Dundalk tonight for non Dundalk fans? Have seen a bit of debate on twitter about this during the week. Some asking why would you want another team in the league to do well and win a significant amount of money with the rest left behind.

The point was made to me that it probably isn't as beneficial for our coefficient as you'd think, each clubs seeding will be based on their own performances and we are not really at risk of getting an extra or losing a European place anytime soon.

I always want to see our teams do well though. I think that it raises the profile of the league, gets attention from neutrals and can only attract more fans to games. I first started going to LOI games after seeing Shels do so well in 2004. I know others who have gained more of an interest after Rovers and Dundalk in later years. Also feel that it is unfortunately one of the only ways we have of getting significant money into any of our clubs right now. The argument could be made it might make the league uncompetitive.

Yeah I'd support the other clubs in Europe. One thing I noticed after Dundalk's Europa League run in 2016 is that it raised the profile of the league outside of the usual people. There was a lot less of the dismissive attitude that people used to have and it did gain respect for the league. Dundalk need to win tonight in particular as normally it's a big upset if a Irish team makes it far in Europa, tonight its expected that they go through against a perceived weaker team. It could be damaging to the leagues reputation and credibility if they lose tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

I think some of the people claiming this will be an easy win for Dundalk are gonna be in for a surprise when the match kicks off, this KI side will fancy their chances, theyl try get on the ball and create chances, they also seem like they could cause problems on set pieces and on the counter attack, and I think the conditions tonight here in the Aviva will suit them.

This game will be like a cup final to this club and indeed the Faroe islands as a whole, they will be expecting a heroes welcome home if they were to get into the group stages.

Happy for any irish club to go well in Europe

Dundalk qualifying tonight will give Waterford (we still have of work to make it happen) maybe a little boost as the games will be piling up for Dundalk this month.

Good game so far but very early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Very open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Dundalk poor enough so far

Johnny McDonnell very hard to listen to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Who's the co-commentator?

He's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Equium wrote: »
    Who's the co-commentator?

He's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Sounds like Johnny McDonnell.

Johny Mac on co commentary. He's doing tv and radio for donkeys years.

Gone a bit scrappy.

• Advertisement

Deserved lead. Decent goal by Murray. Dundalk well up for this as you'd expect.

Sloggett playing well in shields place to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Why in the name of jaysus does Colovic not try and whip in an early cross when he gets into decent positions? He takes so much out of the ball

Dundalk playing some good football. Looking dangerous. A second goal will finish this lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Amazing to think this KI team scored 6 last week, they are useless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That really should be that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

2-0 proper flapping from the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

All over, well done Dundalk. Just a shame it'll all be behind closed doors.

Uefa have given the green light to 30% capacity at games starting next week. But all depending on each countries to decide themselves..I hope our government allow a few thousand at least into the group games.

Commentators have decided to blame the non Irish lad on the Dundalk team for everything, colovic isn’t great at defending but the commentators would never go on about one of the Irish lads as much , just stupidly obvious

Dundalk playing themselves into trouble by passing in stupid areas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Jaysus Dundalk really should have conceded at least one in the last 10 minutes. So much space for KI.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement