Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Great night for Dundalk. Hope they get an exciting group tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Have listened to the Dundalk manager now a few times and he comes across as a humble, funny and thorough gentleman. Interesting he wants to get Tottenham in the draw as he loves Mourinho. We got Tottenham in our group so i hope Dundalk get someone else. Maybe Celtic or Rangers. That would be fun :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great win for Dundalk, totally deserved. It will be nice to see them in the group stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Delighted for Filippo Giovagnoli. Was shown little respect upon taking the role but can't fault his team selection and substitutions. Has also conducted himself with class. Very humble and respectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Can someone who knows more explain the financials of this to me.

I've heard a number of €2,900,000. Does this include any money they earned in prior rounds of the Europa league/champions league participation? Or is that extra again?

And when are they due this money, is it instantly or at the end of the tournament?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

plibige wrote: »

I've heard a number of €2,900,000. Does this include any money they earned in prior rounds of the Europa league/champions league participation? Or is that extra again?

And when are they due this money, is it instantly or at the end of the tournament?

Think that figure is extra.

Money is paid out by UEFA after the tournament concludes via national associations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Crazy that the league champions don't automatically qualify for this tournament. I mean 48 teams under the champions league teams! How have the smaller nations not kicked up a fuss about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

No, it doesn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League#Prize_money
    • Preliminary round: €220,000
    • First qualifying round: €240,000
    • Second qualifying round: €260,000
    • Third qualifying round: €280,000
    • Play-off round elimination: €300,000
    • Base fee for group stage: €2,920,000
    • Group match victory: €570,000
    • Group match draw: €190,000
    • Group winners: €1,000,000
    • Group runners-up: €500,000
    • Round of 32: €500,000
    • Round of 16: €1,100,000
    • Quarter-finals: €1,500,000
    • Semi-finals: €2,400,000
    • Runner-ups: €4,500,000
    • Champions: €8,500,000
    They'll also get about €500,000 in TV revenue, since that what they earned last time out: https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/51/12/27/2511227_DOWNLOAD.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

sugarman wrote: »
    If they win a game in groups they'll get an additional €2,700,000 per win and €900,000 per a draw.

That's the CL prize money, not the EL. It's significantly less in the EL. Can't remember exactly but around €600k for a win and €200k for a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Actually another question, how would this affect Dundalks coefficient for next year? Is the 2016 run still going into the calculations along with this year? Like how many years back would count?

If they both count they would be in a very strong position with the new competition coming into play next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Actually another question, how would this affect Dundalks coefficient for next year? Is the 2016 run still going into the calculations along with this year? Like how many years back would count?

If they both count they would be in a very strong position with the new competition coming into play next season

2016 run stops counting next season, so this was very good timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

hardybuck wrote: »
    Also add on some television money and increased sponsorship/commercial opportunities.

I I forgot about tv money. Luckily its not dependent on RTE or EIR as its ‘pooled money from now on. If we’re lucky we’ll get a good draw, (and avoid Qarabag)and draw someone close.

You couldn’t make it up Milan we’re losing until added time in extra Time.
    They missed the 8th , 10th and 11th penalties.Rio Ave missed 8th 10th 11th and 12th penalties and Milan got through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021%E2%80%9322_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

So does this mean 2nd/3rd and 4th in the league get a place in this new comp with 1st going into the CL Qualifiers

Edit- forgot about the FAI Cup winners, so it's basically the same as now with 4th place getting in if a top 3 team win the cup

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Brilliant for Dundalk.

How did that Faroe Islands team put 6 past Dinamo Tbilisi? Were Tbilisi missing players? Any chance that some fans will be allowed in for the Group games?

UEFA are allowing up to 30 percent in for CL and EL games but it’s each country’s government that have the final say on that. It was 300 fans allowed in for games in Dublin a few weeks ago I think? 30 percent would be around 15000 in Lansdowne Road. I don’t think the Irish government would let in that many for a match right now? It’s outdoors though so really should be accommodated with a proper social distancing set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

TheCitizen wrote: »
    UEFA are allowing up to 30 percent in for CL and EL games but it’s each country’s government that have the final say on that. It was 300 fans allowed in for games in Dublin a few weeks ago I think? 30 percent would be around 15000 in Lansdowne Road. I don’t think the Irish government would let in that many for a match right now? It’s outdoors though so really should be accommodated with a proper social distancing set up

Could open a few cans of worms if that was approved. The GAA and IRFU would be up in arms and would want those sort of numbers allowed in for there games. Then we could have Arenas and other venues looking for similar

I do think a big number of Dundalk supporters should be permitted into the stadium for the home games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

We got Tottenham in our group so i hope Dundalk get someone else. Maybe Celtic or Rangers. That would be fun :)

I’d hate if they got Celtic under normal circumstances, an Irish stadium
    packed with Irish fans cheering against the Irish team. Rangers would be a disaster on a different level :p

As an aside, do many people over here support Celtic to the extent you’re led to believe I wonder? I think I know two out-and-out Celtic fans, in that if you ask who they support it’s them. Most people I know just look at them in Europe or in the Old Firm and just say “ah lovely” if they win but don’t really care too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could open a few cans of worms if that was approved. The GAA and IRFU would be up in arms and would want those sort of numbers allowed in for there games. Then we could have Arenas and other venues looking for similar

I do think a big number of Dundalk supporters should be permitted into the stadium for the home games

If Dublin makes it back to level 2, this is written in the plan:

"For large purpose built event facilities (such as stadia, auditoriums, conferencing/event centres), specific guidance will be developed with the relevant sectors to take account of size and different conditions for events such as large national and international sporting events."

It's obviously left open like that for home international games, gaa championship and rugby etc. You could definitely include dundalk's european games in that too.

Problem is that Dublin is in level 3 and all games are supposed to take place behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

Omackeral wrote: »
    packed with Irish fans cheering against the Irish team. Rangers would be a disaster on a different level :p

As an aside, do many people over here support Celtic to the extent you’re led to believe I wonder? I think I know two out-and-out Celtic fans, in that if you ask who they support it’s them. Most people I know just look at them in Europe or in the Old Firm and just say “ah lovely” if they win but don’t really care too much.

I think i know one. Most people become fans when they do somewhat well. In the lat few years a lot more people would be saying they're big fans etc

Celtic are a strange one when it come to Irish people. There are people who really think they're actually an Irish club and won't let anyone tell them otherwise.

Yea fair point on a big game with one of our clubs v both of the Old Firm.

I have two pals that are out and out Celtic fans. They head over nearly every other week. Well used to anyway. I like Celtic and follow their progress and watch them on tv when i can but have never been to a game. I had planned on goiing this season as wanted to fit in a break to see Glasgow and Edinburgh and thought a Celtic game would be nice. Don't think it will happen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

joeysoap wrote: »
    KI were a lot better than the scoreline, a lot better than some people think too.
    We’ll see them again.

Tbh, Dundalk seemed to score at just the right times.

Game felt quite even.

• Advertisement

KI were pretty average in the first half. When Dundalk went 2-0 ahead the Faroe team started to push forward. Nothing to lose at that stage. Dundalk seemed to drop off when 2-0 up and brought KI onto them. KI played well in second half but i always felt Dundalk would win. And this is a Dundalk not exactly on top form and missing two of their best players Shields and Gannon.

There is no certainty we will see KI in the latter stages of Europe again. Only for Slovan Bratislava forfeiting their game v them in the early rounds they might not been there last night. Nice to see a Faroe team getting so close but who knows if that will ever happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rangers would be a disaster on a different level :p

Don't agree.

If both games are behind closed doors, or away fans are not allowed, there should be no issues at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

When is the draw ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Normally i would want an Irish team to get the easiest draw possible but...€TV
    & after last nights performance the bigger the better.
    Anyone know if Dundalk games can be shown on RTE and also sell the games to foreign television or stream it internationally?
    Uefa had given all bar domestic broadcast rights to away teams when the tie's were just one game.

Pot 1:
    Arsenal, Tottenham, Roma, Napoli, Benfica, Bayer Leverkusen, Villareal, CSKA Moscow, Braga, Gent, PSV Eindhoven, Celtic

Pot 2:
    Dinamo Zagreb, Sparta Prague, Slavia Prague, Ludogorets, Young Boys, Red Star Belgrade, Rapid Vienna, Leicester City, Qarabag, PAOK, Standard Liege, Real Sociedad

Pot 3:
    Granada, AC Milan, AZ Alkmaar, Feyenoord, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, AEK Athens, Rangers, Molde, Hoffenheim, LASK, Hapoel Beer-Sheva, Cluj

Pot 4:
    Zorya Luhansk, Nice, Lille, NK Rijeka, Dundalk, Slovan Liberec, Royal Antwerp, Lech Poznan, Sivasspor, Wolfsberger, Omonia Nicosia, CSKA Sofia

https://www.the42.ie/dundalk-europa-league-opponents-5220994-Oct2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

NIMAN wrote: »
    Don't agree.

If both games are behind closed doors, or away fans are not allowed, there should be no issues at all.

I suspect a group of undesirables would make their way south of the border regardless of whether they could get into the game or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Normally i would want an Irish team to get the easiest draw possible but...€TV
    & after last nights performance the bigger the better.
    Anyone know if Dundalk games can be shown on RTE and also sell the games to foreign television or stream it internationally?
    Uefa had given all bar domestic broadcast rights to away teams when the tie's were just one game.

Pot 1:
    Arsenal, Tottenham, Roma, Napoli, Benfica, Bayer Leverkusen, Villareal, CSKA Moscow, Braga, Gent, PSV Eindhoven, Celtic

Pot 2:
    Dinamo Zagreb, Sparta Prague, Slavia Prague, Ludogorets, Young Boys, Red Star Belgrade, Rapid Vienna, Leicester City, Qarabag, PAOK, Standard Liege, Real Sociedad

Pot 3:
    Granada, AC Milan, AZ Alkmaar, Feyenoord, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, AEK Athens, Rangers, Molde, Hoffenheim, LASK, Hapoel Beer-Sheva, Cluj

Pot 4:
    Zorya Luhansk, Nice, Lille, NK Rijeka, Dundalk, Slovan Liberec, Royal Antwerp, Lech Poznan, Sivasspor, Wolfsberger, Omonia Nicosia, CSKA Sofia

https://www.the42.ie/dundalk-europa-league-opponents-5220994-Oct2020/

Tv rights are sold by UEFA at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    When is the draw ?

Today at midday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wonder what the Dundalk fans thoughts are on the actual draw?

Thinking of Rovers when they got Milan, it was a great draw but when you have no fans able to get in to watch, it kinda ruins it.

So would it be better to get glamour clubs across the board, and maybe pick up no points, or get the worst team in each pot and maybe get additional money from the odd draw or even win (considering fans will unlikely be at the games)?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wonder what the Dundalk fans thoughts are on the actual draw?

Thinking of Rovers when they got Milan, it was a great draw but when you have no fans able to get in to watch, it kinda ruins it.

So would it be better to get glamour clubs across the board, and maybe pick up no points, or get the worst team in each pot and maybe get additional money from the odd draw or even win (considering fans will unlikely be at the games)?

I would like two big teams for the prestige and a team out of pot 3 which we could compete against. I would like to avoid Qarabag due to the distance the players would have to travel.

Napoli
    Sociedad
    LASK / Molde

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Tv rights are sold by UEFA at this stage.

So Dundalk will get no additional €TV? e.g. RTE buy the tv rights from Uefa?

They do, I think the TV money is pooled at group stage and then distributed.

If the government deem it safe to hold 10% - 30% capacity or whatever maybe Dundalk might play their home games in the Aviva. Nice big open stadium. I really hope NPHET let this happen. 5,000 - 10,000 in the Aviva would be no danger if spaced out. Then again allowing only 200 in to GAA stadiums like Semple Stadium is a joke so wont hold my breath on this one.

If the government deem it safe to hold 10% - 30% capacity or whatever maybe Dundalk might play their home games in the Aviva. Nice big open stadium. I really hope NPHET let this happen. 5,000 - 10,000 in the Aviva would be no danger if spaced out. Then again allowing only 200 in to GAA stadiums like Semple Stadium is a joke so wont hold my breath on this one.

The GAA seems to be ignoring the current rules going by the videos in circulation of various club finals over the past number of weeks and the associated piss ups afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Delighted for the the Italians. They came in to the club in crisis and were greeted with negativity and ridicule (pretty understandable in fairness given their cv's) but they dealt with everything professionally. Were very visible and very friendly around the town and won most people over after a couple of weeks.

Has to be said we were absolutely blessed with the draw but we have seen Irish teams fail plenty of times before against apparently weaker teams so you have to give the boys credit. Has to be said we are still not playing fantastic stuff but there's no doubt he has got the lads giving absolutely everything for him. Hopefully now the pressure is off we can start to see some nice football between now and the end of the season. Forza Dundalk!

Small fry in the grand scheme of things but the advertising billboards around the Aviva brought in a few quid as well. Plenty of local businesses seen on the advertising hoardings in the stadium last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

It's hard to see Dundalk doing much in the group stage this season. Ideally they'd want at least one big name to get the extra media coverage and two other teams that they have some sort of chance of getting a result. I'd go for something like:
    Pot 1: Arsenal or Spurs or Napoli or Celtic (media attention)
    Pot 2: Rapid Vienna or Ludogorets (result possible) or Leicester (media attention)
    Pot 3: Molde or Hapoel Beer-sheva or Alkmaar (result possible)

The draw to avoid would be:
    Pot 1: CSKA or Braga or Gent
    Pot 2: Qarabag or Zagreb or either the Prague teams
    Pot 3: Granada or Milan or AEK

• Advertisement

Had a quick look at a Rangers forum thete and 99% of them want Dundalk in Pot 4 and some say they are the weakest in the competition. I've watched Rangers over the last few years and i could see Dundalk causing them some trouble. Gartland would have Morelos in his pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

kksaints wrote: »
    It's hard to see Dundalk doing much in the group stage this season. Ideally they'd want at least one big name to get the extra media coverage and two other teams that they have some sort of chance of getting a result. I'd go for something like:
    Pot 1: Arsenal or Spurs or Napoli or Celtic (media attention)
    Pot 2: Rapid Vienna or Ludogorets (result possible) or Leicester (media attention)
    Pot 3: Molde or Hapoel Beer-sheva or Alkmaar (result possible)

The draw to avoid would be:
    Pot 1: CSKA or Braga or Gent
    Pot 2: Qarabag or Zagreb or either the Prague teams
    Pot 3: Granada or Milan or AEK
    It will be hard to see us win any of the games to be honest. We're not at the same standard as 2016 when we gave every team in the group a tough game. Filippo and Guiseppe have done a great job improving morale in the dressing room but from what I've seen to date performances on the pitch haven't improved since Vinny departed. Anyway, it's almost time.....bring on the big guns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

All the above figures, €3M for the group stage, X per win, per draw etc - That's effectively the TV money there as paid by the broadcasters (BT & Virgin in these islands) to UEFA into a giant pool.

Its a bad thing if you get a draw with Arsenal, Sociedad and Milan as you could probably have made more doing individual game deals.
    But a good thing if you get a really unattractive draw.

On balance it's a simpler, fairer and better way of doing it I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Think it was mentioned last night that Dundalk games will be on Virgin Media.

Think it was mentioned last night that Dundalk games will be on Virgin Media.

Hopefully the tv3 version

• Advertisement

Group H would be nice.
    Celtic & ACMilan

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Group: Arsenal, Rapid Wien, Molde, Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

that is about as good a draw as they could have gotten.

its a good draw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Not bad in terms of travelling but hard to see us getting a result in any of those games. At least the Arsenal game will generate a bit of publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Good draw

Mix of a big glamour tie and a couple of games with a chance to get something from

That's a decent group for Dundalk. Two glamour ties v the Gunners. They can definately take points off Molde. And possibly Vienna. Not bad for away travel either. These Italians have brought some luck with them to Dundalk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Any other year the Arsenal fixture would have been a money spinner, bit like the Milan game for Rovers.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good draw for Dundalk. Glamour tie vs Arsenal, winnable tie against Molde and Rapid Wien would be one of the weaker pot 2 teams.

Cool to hear Ciro Ferrara saying "Dandog"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement