Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Over to you Nphet let us in to see these games.

30% of the Aviva is approx 16,000 fans. That would be great. If these gob****es only allow a few hundred in people will crack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I think a two draws are possible but can’t see a win. Any other year they would fill the Aviva. Bu the traveling is not bad. And we avoided Qarabag and the Israeli teams ( long journeys )

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

30% of the Aviva is approx 16,000 fans. That would be great. If these gob****es only allow a few hundred in people will crack up.

Once season ticket holders and members are catered for first I don't mind either way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

16,000 fans can definitely be done.

Go on the shambles of a club and its Samba Soccer coach! :D

Celtic, Milan, Sparta Prague snd Lille looks like the group of death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Cant see any big changes in restrictions around spectators in time for these games unfortunately. Cases are going up, not down & NPHET seem to be sh*t scared atm of that getting out of hand so I wouldn't be confident they care a jot for the EL and will go against their current guidelines.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

joeysoap wrote: »
    I think a two draws are possible but can’t see a win. Any other year they would fill the Aviva. Bu the traveling is not bad. And we avoided Qarabag and the Israeli teams ( long journeys )

Funny enough Villareal got those two and sivasspor; 3 teams aren't even in mainland europe :pac:

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Once season ticket holders and members are catered for first I don't mind either way tbh.

They should be looked after first but plenty of neutrals would like to attend. I'd go to all three if i could.

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Cant see any big changes in restrictions around spectators in time for these games unfortunately. Cases are going up, not down & NPHET seem to be sh*t scared atm of that getting out of hand so I wouldn't be confident they care a jot for the EL and will go against their current guidelines.

Cases going up have nothing to do with small crowds attending outdoor sports events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Think Molde are definitely beatable at home.....Congrats by the way...

Cases going up have nothing to do with small crowds attending outdoor sports events.

You go & explain that to NPHET and see how far you get then.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

damemcd wrote: »

With 500,000e on the line Molde wont get things easy in that game.

You go & explain that to NPHET and see how far you get then.

Makes no sense allowing a paltry 200 into outdoor sports events. Where did they pull that figure from. Other European countries are allowing multiples of that into games.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Definitely points to be won against Molde, not sure on Vienna, like obviously haven't seen them play but the standard of the Austrian league seems to be on the up.

Fingers crossed something can be worked out for the home game with Arsenal and get some sort of crowd in for it!

To be honest, in terms of travel its about as good as it gets

• Advertisement

Makes no sense allowing a paltry 200 into outdoor sports events. Where did they pull that figure from. Other European countries are allowing multiples of that into games.

I dont disagree BTW. Some of what they recommend doesn't really stack up & unfortunately as they've been extremely cautious with respect to spectator sports through all of this I can't see them suddenly changing direction when they have an easy stat in increased cases to back that up. I hope I'm wrong but I'd be very very surprised if that changed anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

kksaints wrote: »
    lI'd go for something like:
    Pot 1: Arsenal or Spurs or Napoli or Celtic (media attention)
    Pot 2: Rapid Vienna or Ludogorets (result possible) or Leicester (media attention)
    Pot 3: Molde or Hapoel Beer-sheva or Alkmaar (result possible)

Any chance of next week’s lottery numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

So will the government allow fans into the Aviva for the games??? Approx. 15k fans could be what is needed to get points off Molde.
    Rapid Wien should not be under rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

https://twitter.com/ESPNUK/status/1311996307620474880?s=19

And so starts the disrespect. As pointed out in the replies, Pirlo doesn't have his license either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

With 500,000e on the line Molde wont get things easy in that game.

I thought yesterdays performance was alarming.
    Shields organisation skills were missing but they looked panic stricken most of the game.
    & whats the story with McEleney? Dundalk never got him on the ball.

Would need a massive improvement to get any points from Molde or Vienna.
    Best of luck to them though.

Really looking forward to an Aubameyang - Gartland foot race!!

• Advertisement

I was listening to Danny Mills on the Football Show on Sky and he said we all know Dundalk won't be winning any matches bit the money can help them for the next 10 years! I don't even think he knows Dundalk were in the group stages only a few years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So will the government allow fans into the Aviva for the games??? Approx. 15k fans could be what is needed to get points off Molde.
    Rapid Wien should not be under rated.

Doubt anybody is underrating Rapid, but I think some will lose the run of themselves and overrate Dundalk.

Dan Kelly's goal was a thing of beauty. Shades of Robbie Benson's goal against BATE in the pissing rain. Brilliant ball from Murray too.

dan1895 wrote: »

And so starts the disrespect. As pointed out in the replies, Pirlo doesn't have his license either.

I mean he got plenty of disrespect on this very forum from Irish football fans not so long ago.

A penny for Vinny Perth's thoughts. He jumped ship (or was pushed overboard) just before it sank....or so he thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

dan1895 wrote: »

And our manager has a pro licence afaik, so it just shows it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

A penny for Vinny Perth's thoughts. He jumped ship (or was pushed overboard) just before it sank....or so he thought!

Sure isnt auld Bill picking the team over the phone, forcing players on the manager and isnt the place in a total mess.....players not happy nor performing.

NIMAN wrote: »
    And our manager has a pro licence afaik, so it just shows it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

It was only brought in as a requirmentto make money for JDs lifestyle. No other reason but to cover his rent, credit card bill and legal costs.

It also sounded good when he was on a mission to take over UEFA...small league with Pro licenced managers. Just forgot to tell his mates in high places that most clubs didnt have a pot to piss in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I thought you couldn’t be manager in the premier league without the uefa pro ?

Was that not the reason Gill was there with Perth ?

Shane Keegan covers that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I'll trust the "gob****e" scientists on this one that 16,000 Dundalk fans travelling down to Dublin would not be a very good idea if you're trying to prevent a superspreading event and our health system in Dublin and Louth from becoming overwhelmed 10 days later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I mean he got plenty of disrespect on this very forum from Irish football fans not so long ago.

Yeh but when we do it it's funny.

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I'll trust the "gob****e" scientists on this one that 16,000 Dundalk fans travelling down to Dublin would not be a very good idea if you're trying to prevent a superspreading event and our health system in Dublin and Louth from becoming overwhelmed 10 days later[/quot

I dont think anyone is expecting 16,000 fans to be allowed in to be fair. Why i called them gob****es is over their paltry allowance of 200 fans into stadia regardless of the size/capacity. That 200 would be allowed in a stadium of 5,000 + and still 200 allowed into a 50,000 stadium. Where did they come up with 200 people and why is it the same across the board?

In relation to the Dundalk matches imo maybe 10% capacity would be a fair deal. Thats approx 5,000 people. But do i think it will happen? Not a chance.

The Norwegian league, for instance, allows a limited number of fans at the moment. So would Molde be able to play their games with fans while Arsenal and Dundalk can't? That'd be an advantage for them, no matter how minor. Not sure about the situation in Austria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

The Norwegian league, for instance, allows a limited number of fans at the moment. So would Molde be able to play their games with fans while Arsenal and Dundalk can't? That'd be an advantage for them, no matter how minor. Not sure about the situation in Austria.

Fans are allowed in Austria depending on the level of Coronavirus in the district where the team is from. It was 10,000 max the first week of the season but it's been reduced since then. Think it's 3,000 max in some areas and 1,000 max in others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Omackeral wrote: »
    Any chance of next week’s lottery numbers?

I wish.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

damemcd wrote: »

Molde played Glenavon in the qualifying rounds 2 years ago (when Solksjaer was their manager still) and Glenavon beat them at home, so there is definitely points there for Dundalk.

Down 47 places ,but the ‘big boys’ are there now

Dundalk at 71

https://www.football-coefficient.eu/money/#money-club

Rovers the 142nd highest earners in Europe this year with a cool 500,000. Jaypers when you compare it to Dundalk's 4 million it looks very small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Arsenal will tear dundalk asunder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Rovers the 142nd highest earners in Europe this year with a cool 500,000. Jaypers when you compare it to Dundalk's 4 million it looks very small.

It is, but one of Rovers part-owners is a billionaire. :pac:

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Arsenal will tear dundalk asunder

Dunno. The last couple of years the group games have seen fairly understrength Arsenal teams win their groups, can't see Dundalk having to face anything like a full strength Arsenal team so whilst I dont see them taking any points off Arsenal I dont seen them taking a tonking either.

Dunno. The last couple of years the group games have seen fairly understrength Arsenal teams win their groups, can't see Dundalk having to face anything like a full strength Arsenal team so whilst I dont see them taking any points off Arsenal I dont seen them taking a tonking either.

Yea agree with this. Arsenal will more than likely put out a second string side. Especially for the second tie as they'll be hoping to have qualified or won the group at that stage. Arsenal's first team can be very flakey at times so i wouldn't be overly respectful of theirsecond string side. You would expect Arsenal to win both ties but also be hopeful of a decent showing in at least one of the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I'll trust the "gob****e" scientists on this one that 16,000 Dundalk fans travelling down to Dublin would not be a very good idea if you're trying to prevent a superspreading event and our health system in Dublin and Louth from becoming overwhelmed 10 days later

The way the team and backroom staff celebrated last night, I just hope none of them have the virus or the team could be struck down badly in the next week or so.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It is, but one of Rovers part-owners is a billionaire. :pac:

Millionaires (generally) don’t give away money. That’s why their millionaires but
    I take your point, a sugar daddy is what every club needs.

Dundalk earned their money, who would have bet after Celje that would happen ? ( benevolent draws included)

• Advertisement

Rovers and Dundalk to go head to head for the next few years it looks like. Bohemians decent team but don't have the financial clout just yet to compete. Just as i thought Rovers were going to knock Dundalk off their perch and possibly have a few years of dominance the lillywhites somehow manage to win the football lottery and earn a fortune that should see Dundalk remain a very strong outfit going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

How much of Dundalk's winnings will be withdrawn as ROI and how much will actually be reinvested into the club?

Don't forget the €2m for Doherty. It'll go a long way (pun intended :))

Guffy wrote: »
    How much of Dundalk's winnings will be withdrawn as ROI and how much will actually be reinvested into the club?

Not again.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Rovers and Dundalk to go head to head for the next few years it looks like. Bohemians decent team but don't have the financial clout just yet to compete. Just as i thought Rovers were going to knock Dundalk off their perch and possibly have a few years of dominance the lillywhites somehow manage to win the football lottery and earn a fortune that should see Dundalk remain a very strong outfit going forward.

I still think Rovers will be the dominant club going forward, their making steps in all the right places with their youth academy, training facilities, Tallaght stadium with regular attendances of around 4 - 7k for home games, and my money would be on them making the group stages of the new uefa conference next season aswell

Although Dundalk have this windfall as their safety net for now there are some red flags I'd be worried about an over inflated wage bill and poor spectator facilities as well as not having the same catchment area to grow a fan base and recruit younger players to the area that could hold them back going forward, I think peak 6 will have to come up with a solid plan to keep the club moving in the right direction going forward

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement