Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

joeysoap wrote: »
    Coming out of. the woodwork now. See rent a mouth Brian Kerr at it this morning too.

The away section is awful. The home section is only marginally better. The main stand, which is over 50 years old, isn’t bad at all. I wouldn’t compare it to Tallaght, but it has the club shop, dressing rooms, and 2 bars and from a spectators viewpoint is quite good. Better than most in fact.

Oriel is dreadful.

There's no getting away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Oriel is dreadful.

There's no getting away from it.

its not that bad. at least there isn't trees growing in the stands like in Dallymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Lads the announced changes to the Rovers board.....any chance they have anything to do with JR being very friendly with the old FAI board and their former CEO?? Anything Rovers fans should be worried about when reports are published or if JD is put infront of the courts??

Or is the investor who was only giving money more involved in the running of the club than we are all lead to believe??? Is Dermot calling the shots or better said with his man moving into the boardroom power seat...will he be calling the shots in the future??? Doesnt sound like a fan run club when the money man is placing his people in the top seat and getting rid of the Chairman who is credited with good work.

This is a genuine question and not intended as a dig, just to make it clear in case anyone feels offended by the above.

No these changes were all planned in advance and outlined at the members meeting at the time DD investment was voted on, the membership still has the same % of ownership.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just what City needed, Bennett og in the first 10

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Just what City needed, Bennett og in the first 10

2-0, and this could get even worse...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Completely at sea.

City are blessed to be 2-1 down at ht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Trap door getting closer for Cork, good result that for Shels ahead of tonight's derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Should have won that by at least three, our finishing was atrocious. Still three points is three points. Up into fourth now when two weeks ago I was fearing relegation. It's a strange league this season.

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Trap door getting closer for Cork, good result that for Shels ahead of tonight's derby

Yeah especially with Harps away to Dundalk tomorrow.

Even a point would be great for us this evening, but I'm expecting a 2 or 3 goal defeat. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

pgj2015 wrote: »
    its not that bad. at least there isn't trees growing in the stands like in Dallymount.

It is that bad. Dalymount is certainly worse, but Oriel is a shambles.

Draw would have been good for City. Not gone yet though, 9th is still the target I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I think I speak on behalf of most when I say we want to see a Cork v Galway playoff. Caulfield returning to the cross with a chance to put the final nail in Cork's coffin is quite fitting given he also put the first nail in it a few years ago :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Oat23 wrote: »
    I think I speak on behalf of most when I say we want to see a Cork v Galway playoff. Caulfield returning to the cross with a chance to put the final nail in Cork's coffin is quite fitting given he also put the first nail in it a few years ago :pac:
    Longford v Cork would have the Fenn drama also.

I truly despise every minute of watching this Shelbourne team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Shels are a hard team to watch. They have players on paper but don't look like they've ever played together before and can't string two passes together. They're a busy team but always reacting to what's going on and not getting far.

CSF wrote: »
    I truly despise every minute of watching this Shelbourne team.
    At least up until recent games we were playing horrible football but mostly outfighting our opponents to gain good points - Cork (a), Pats (h), Harps (a), Derry (h), Rovers (a) best examples

Better start to the 2nd half but it's looking that the pandemic has been kind to us, watching a 36 game season of that trash

Lovely, miss a penalty with the textbook short run-up telling the keeper by your exposed body shape which direction you a going to scuff the penalty towards

Sums us up.

If we survive it'll be likely on the basis of the two wins we got before the season stopped.

Poynton has literally killed us off in this game on two levels in the space of a few minutes. Hopefully 6th place Dundalk take their game against Harps tomorrow seriously

Poynton has literally killed us off in this game on two levels in the space of a few minutes. Hopefully 6th place Dundalk take their game against Harps tomorrow seriously

They still need to push for Europe for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We're going abroad!

It's hugely possible that 0-3 flatters both teams in this game. Bohs have been poor second half, Shels should've equalised but there is a gulf in the teams beyond the score in fluency.

Either Kilduff is five yards behind every pass, not expecting it or the pass is wayward by five yards, but by the time he gets it, the defence is reset.

Getting exposed everywhere now and Bohs are nothing special. Sooner the whistle blows the better. Can't see any points for the rest of the season clinging to hope Harps and Cork don't start pulling wins in these last few games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Any other situation, the manager would be on his bike. Ours is under contract for another 2 seasons. Joke club.

Blessed tonight.

Could've been much worse.

Where does our next point come from? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Blessed tonight.

Could've been much worse.

Where does our next point come from? :(

That run-in for ye is awkward enough. Waterford, Sligo, Derry and Shams.

kksaints wrote: »
    Every Shels fan should presume zero points from the final 4 games unless points are pulled out of the arses of the hoofballing gods

Harps have a rough run-in - Dundalk (a), Shamrock Rovers (h), Pats (h), Bohs (a), Waterford (h)

Cork have a rough next couple of games, could pull off something in last 3 games - Bohs (a), Dundalk (h), Waterford (h), Sligo (a), Derry (h)

If Harps don't pull of a minimum of 4 points and Cork don't pull off a minimum of 5 points then Shels will very likely somehow finish 8th and stay up with 13 points from 18 games, we'll see, I doubt it

Oat23 wrote: »

Caulfield returning to the Cross and ends up getting a result for City.

I'd happily take that option.

Every Shels fan should presume zero points from the final 4 games unless points are pulled out of the arses of the hoofballing gods

Harps have a rough run-in - Dundalk (a), Shamrock Rovers (h), Pats (h), Bohs (a), Waterford (h)

Cork have a rough next couple of games, could pull off something in last 3 games - Bohs (a), Dundalk (h), Waterford (h), Sligo (a), Derry (h)

If Harps don't pull of a minimum of 4 points and Cork don't pull off a minimum of 5 points then Shels will very likely somehow finish 8th and stay up with 13 points from 18 games, we'll see, I doubt it

The last 3 games for City could see points garnered. Could well do go to the last game of the season. Bottom of the league is way more interesting than the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Absolutely gutless performance this evening, Bohs not out of first gear for 90 mins. Genuinely feel we're not going to pick up another point so relying on Harps & Cork to be even sh1tter than us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

We're going abroad!

Again?!?!

kksaints wrote: »

Yet sort of a relief we don't have to play Cork or Harps. :pac:

As I feared Dundalk playing a weakened side against Harps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

As I feared Dundalk playing a weakened side against Harps

and it sort of backfired on them 0-0 draw at home to Harps

Harps happy with that result and a lot of pressure on Dundalk now going into the end of the season

Absolute scutter from Dundalk, Giovagnoli with his idiotic team selection has put Dundalk's European qualification for next season into question and has landed Shels in a serious relegation dogfight

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    and it sort of backfired on them 0-0 draw at home to Harps
    That was the most bankable 3 points they had in their final 7 games, only an idiot would have played that lineup, the UK players are dirt and McMillan is finished. Looking back at Dundalk's lineups during their European run in 2016 Kenny never made anything more than minimal changes to their lineups after European games, and they played alot more games of football that season compared to this truncated season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Twardek leaving Bohs for the Ekstraklasa.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/bohemians-winger-kris-twardek-set-for-40k-move-to-polish-club-jagiellonia-bialystok-39587174.html

Not a bad deal for Bohs making €40k for letting him leave 8 weeks before his contract expires.

Absolute scutter from Dundalk, Giovagnoli with his idiotic team selection has put Dundalk's European qualification for next season into question and has landed Shels in a serious relegation dogfight

At the rate he's picking the reserves, Dundalk are being dragged into a relegation fight rather than Europe. Baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Point there I didn't expect. We are actually only one defeat in seven but cork/shels could have been out of sight at half time and second half we could have won those games.

Dundalk still the better side, despite their changes and brought on their heavy hitters early second half. Thought shields who started was very poor. We created little, it wasn't someone from our bench sent off and got to ruin an italian truffle party, take it :pac:

Dundalk looking after Dundalk. Their business what side they pick. If Rovers pick a weakened side last day of the season, we won't be complaining. And again, their right to pick whatever side they want.

Only ones that have us in a relegation dogfight is ourselves.

One league win since the restart. All of our own making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

One league win since restart is all Dundalk have managed too . Shocking miss by McMillan who is certainly past his sell by date .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Dundalk officially can't win the league now, but at this rate, they won't qualify for Europe.

Have they sorted their players contracts yet?

NPHET recommending the entire country goes to Level 5 restrictions. If the Government oblige, that'll be a wrap for the league I'd imagine

Other leagues who have had their seasons abruptly ended did an average points per game to give final league standings as some teams have played more than others. e.g. Dundalk have played 12 and Sligo have played 15.

So the final standings would be

1 Shamrock Rovers 2.7 (point per game)
    2 Bohemians 2.1
    3 Dundalk 1.5
    4 Waterford 1.4
    5 Sligo Rovers 1.26
    6 St Patricks Ath 1.23
    7 Derry City 1.1
    8 Shelbourne 0.9
    9 Finn Harps 0.78
    10 Cork City 0.75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

What have other countries done with promotion playoffs...? Be very harsh to drop 2 automatically on less than 2 rounds of games. Harsh enough for one.

Other possibilities... Donegal/dublin (half the league) moves to LV5, is it just scrapped too? Derry would be that level too if an all Ireland approach was agreed, or even just have Donegal based players.

Derry can keep playing.

Opposition fail to turn up or host the game they get three points. :pac:

EDIT- Shout out to whoever does the Domestic Ireland twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The inconsistent refereeing is annoying at Loi level . One referee sees a foul and gives a penalty , another referee sees nothing wrong with pushing in the back and gives nothing. Harvey and McLoughlin, chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I’ve created a few teams for PES 2021, working away on the rest and planned on having them finished in a few weeks.

Bohemians

https://youtu.be/mJ46QjwZWUQ

Cork City

https://youtu.be/8kIjLM7cpPU

Derry City

https://youtu.be/4sekGFWlFMQ

Dundalk

https://youtu.be/snR70mKWa-Y

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

cork city are finished if they keep fenn in charge how does he keep putting mcnulty in goal every week the lad causes us goals every week useless.
    the board will have to carry the can for our relegation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

On this day, a group of young men from Liverpool created history...yes yes The Beatles released "Love me do"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement