Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

On this day, a group of young men from Liverpool created history...yes yes The Beatles released "Love me do"

Wrong thread I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

overshoot wrote: »
    Point there I didn't expect. We are actually only one defeat in seven but cork/shels could have been out of sight at half time and second half we could have won those games.

Dundalk still the better side, despite their changes and brought on their heavy hitters early second half. Thought shields who started was very poor. We created little, it wasn't someone from our bench sent off and got to ruin an italian truffle party, take it :pac:

How the feck didn't Dundalk get a penalty in the first half

Blatant push

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How the feck didn't Dundalk get a penalty in the first half

Blatant push

Never said it wasn't a peno. Definitely a push, thought oguwa went over a bit elaborately which probably cost him it.... Or more likely... LOI refs, plenty of strange calls over the game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Derry got a penalty for a push a lot less than one.any other ref but tMcLaughlin would have given it. He was probably thinking of his half time cuppa and his mind was elsewhere.

That’s being kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Good few players sacked from Cork City apparently. Daire O'Connor, McGlade, Charlie Fleming and O'Brien-Whitmarsh are names being mentioned.

Good few players sacked from Cork City apparently. Daire O'Connor, McGlade, Charlie Fleming and O'Brien-Whitmarsh are names being mentioned.

McGlade was substituted after 30minutes on Saturday after offering nothing and allowing Feely the freedom of the right wing.

If this is true, Cork are in major trouble, I couldn't believe how bad they were against us on Saturday.

kksaints wrote: »
    McGlade was substituted after 30minutes on Saturday after offering nothing and allowing Feely the freedom of the right wing.

If this is true, Cork are in major trouble, I couldn't believe how bad they were against us on Saturday.
    McGlade and Daire were a disgrace when they were taken off. They ran off as soon as Fenn came back out and sat in the shed for the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If the four weren't contributing it may not be a big deal, I guess it all comes down to how many players are still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Ensley Fit Memento

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If the four weren't contributing it may not be a big deal, I guess it all comes down to how many players are still there.

Rory Doyle and Ronan Hurley too...christ what is going on....Fenn has turned out to be a huge disaster

• Advertisement

Rory Doyle and Ronan Hurley too...christ what is going on....Fenn has turned out to be a huge disaster

Have heard there was an "exchange of views" at half-time in the dressing room relating to the two players who were taken off at half hour mark.

Six sacked at this stage of the season sounds like Fenn trying to absolve himself of blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

As a Dundalk fan nothing would make me happier than to see Fenn fail at everything he does. I'd like to see Cork stay up however. Really enjoyed our rivalry

Galway United match at weekend off. 2 positive Covid cases in squad.

Capture.PNG.1459dcd8f020caba33e6e776e1f3a626.PNG

Spotted on another page

Capture.PNG.1459dcd8f020caba33e6e776e1f3a626.PNG

Spotted on another page

I'll be polite.

Inappropriate tweet.

Shambles to be letting players go in midst of a relegation battle. The reaction to o'connor leaving is a funny one , people must think hes good or something. Poor footballer.

eh had his moments when he arrived here first...and were lacking some creativity/attack minded players....shouldve been held on to for the final few games...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Shambles to be letting players go in midst of a relegation battle. The reaction to o'connor leaving is a funny one , people must think hes good or something. Poor footballer.

Maybe the lads leaving are causing bother in the dressing room and it's better to let them go.

Teams in bigger leagues tend to do something similar, but instead of releasing they banish them to training with the underage teams and allow them to have no interaction with the first team until the season is over.

In case anybody didn’t know what doncarlos post is about

On 29 July 2010, he announced his retirement from football with immediate effect due to personal reasons.[10] Fenn insisted he would not be making a return to football. "I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks. At the moment, I can't see myself coming back at all." However, only four days later on 3 August, he signed for Shamrock Rovers until the end of the 2010 season.[11] He explained his reasons for joining the Hoops.[12]

He was a Dundalk player when he ‘retired’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Galway United match at weekend off. 2 positive Covid cases in squad.
    Headache for Drogheda and their run-in if that will have to be rescheduled midweek before their final game if it does go to the final night of the season. If it's delayed until after the final round of games then there will be rescheduling of the playoffs presuming one of the two teams qualifies

joeysoap wrote: »
    In case anybody didn’t know what doncarlos post is about

On 29 July 2010, he announced his retirement from football with immediate effect due to personal reasons.[10] Fenn insisted he would not be making a return to football. "I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks. At the moment, I can't see myself coming back at all." However, only four days later on 3 August, he signed for Shamrock Rovers until the end of the 2010 season.[11] He explained his reasons for joining the Hoops.[12]

He was a Dundalk player when he ‘retired’

What I don't understand about that is if he was under contract with Dundalk, surely they held his registration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

What I don't understand about that is if he was under contract with Dundalk, surely they held his registration?

They released him believing he wanted to retire for family reasons and go into coaching

https://www.dundalkfc.com/fenn-retires-with-immediate-effect/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Daire only player officially gone as of now. When asked, Fenn said there wasn't any other players gone.

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    They released him believing he wanted to retire for family reasons and go into coaching

https://www.dundalkfc.com/fenn-retires-with-immediate-effect/

More fool them.

Ollie would've seen straight through him!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

More fool them.

Ollie would've seen straight through him!!! :pac:

Yeah we were caught with our pants down that time, although I remember first game against Rovers after it we stuffed them with his replacement Tipton scoring. Michael O'Neill tried to be cheeky and started him against us but ended up getting abuse all game :D

Shams were good for a dodgy deal around that time. Remember there being a big thing with Chris Turner back then where Sligo Rovers signed him, but the contract was signed on old forms not long after the FAI had introduced new ones so the contract he signed was not valid basically. He took the signing bonus and then signed for Shams a few weeks later.

I'm sure Fenn and Turner both acted on their own accord though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

The scenario with Fenn's 'retirement' leaving Dundalk was that he told them he wanted to retire to go into coaching, family and continue to play at Intermediate or Junior level. However in order for him to retire and claim the sports tax relief they needed to cancel his LOI registration because you couldn't claim that relief while continue playing LOI professionally so they did the honourable thing and let him retire

The problem for Dundalk was they stupidly released Fenn and his registration into 'retirement' two days before the transfer window shut so he was now officially a free agent and then within days he has negotiated and signed for Shamrock Rovers. Despite Dundalk's objections and clear insinuations that Fenn and Rovers engineered the move to avoid paying compensation they couldn't prove any rules were breached and came out looking stupid while Fenn pocketed a league winners medal before going into his belated retirement with his lump sum

Dundalk might indeed look stupid but they acted honorably and took Finn as his word which wasn’t worth the paper it was written on :).

Sean Connor and Chris Turner. A match made in heaven. Both at Dundalk in 2009. I’ll say no more.

Dundalk might indeed look stupid but they acted honorably and took Finn as his word which wasn’t worth the paper it was written on :).

Sean Connor and Chris Turner. A match made in heaven. Both at Dundalk in 2009. I’ll say no more.

If Ohmeha's post is accurate then all Dundalk had to do was wait a couple of days.

When you look at the history of the league, the off the field side of things has taken a long time to improve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

If Ohmeha's post is accurate then all Dundalk had to do was wait a couple of days.

When you look at the history of the league, the off the field side of things has taken a long time to improve.

Still not fixed, didn't we miss Shields in a cup final as the club never released he was a booking away from it

But it will never happen again. The FAI ‘ overlooked’ the Fai cup when they decided that you couldn’t play in a final with 3 additional bookings.Fixed now, McLaughlin booked Shields Fwiw, but yeah we should never have played him in a dead rubber. I'm not wording this right but the fai said it wouldn't happen again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

But it will never happen again. The FAI ‘ overlooked’ the Fai cup when they decided that you couldn’t play in a final with 3 additional bookings.Fixed now, McLaughlin booked Shields Fwiw, but yeah we should never have played him in a dead rubber. I'm not wording this right but the fai said it wouldn't happen again.

Does not matter if the FAI have now changed the rule, was Dundalks fault for not knowing the correct rule

• Advertisement

Our match against Dundalk on Friday is postponed. One covid case in the Pats squad.

Our match against Dundalk on Friday is postponed. One covid case in the Pats squad.

They'll have to extend the season. No way Dundalk can play all their league games alongside the EL ones before the end of the month.

Luckily there's a week off between the league ending and the cup starting so they can finish it then.

Bit concerning that multiple clubs have had positive COVID tests in the last few days. Teams need to tighten things down or all the hard work to get to this point in the season will be undone.

Oat23 wrote: »
    They'll have to extend the season. No way Dundalk can play all their league games alongside the EL ones before the end of the month.

Have to agree with this particularly if our squad has to isolate for 14 days then the match next week against Harps will also be postponed.

So was it just the one player left Cork and not six?

So was it just the one player left Cork and not six?

Dara told to go and according from those in the know - the rest were told they wont be retained for next season

See the Aviva is no longer the Aviva

It’s Dublin stadium once again. :)

Didn’t Ac Milan play Rio Ave even though ibrahamovic had Covid ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Oat23 wrote: »

the season has already been extended our last game of the season has been pushed back so the league doesn't finish at the same time.

I see one prominent Cork fan (ex-board member?) making claims on Twitter re the EGM that nobody can speak against the proposed sale.

Any truth in this?

• Advertisement

I see one prominent Cork fan (ex-board member?) making claims on Twitter re the EGM that nobody can speak against the proposed sale.

Any truth in this?

No it's not true. The confusion has come because there is no other details about the selling of the club ahead of the vote and in what capacity this information will/may come. I think I know which member's tweet it is and I think he got ahead of himself and has deleted it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That sounds about right.

What way do youse think the vote will go?

I was more positive about a sale to Groovemoor a few months ago and would have voted that way. This uncertainty about flow and disclosure of information though is unnecessary and will put doubt into a lot of peoples minds imo. If it remains as it is, without any further input from Groovemoor, I could see it being rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

They`ll sell the family silver the same way every Cork club has done and it will end the same way its always ended.

The club cant go as far now and i think they'll need to do something.....i think the current board were left with a thankless job but i think its time to look for investment ...

• Advertisement

Rumours now that Fenn has quit.

Rumours now that Fenn has quit.
    Yep hearing that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya he is gone

Club is a disgrace

Ya he is gone

Club is a disgrace
    ?
    He didn't help himself.

Fenn walked as did Gamble - Colin Healy rumoured to be taking the reigns....Wouldnt it be fate if they didnt release Daire and he goes and scores the winner in the next game

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement