Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Trevor Hemmings, the Preston owner would know Cork well. He has been the owner of Trabolgan Holiday Village for a number of years. He isn't another Arkaga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Ensley Fit Memento

Roddy Collins for the comeback ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Colin Healy is the name going around.
    I'd get Reynolds in to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Roddy Collins for the comeback ;)

Not exactly renowned for hanging around in a relegation battle. :D

Id go for Reynolds myself, im hearing Healy is holding the fort till the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Excellent chance of a top 4 finish for Waterford

Home too Shelbourne Saturday
    Away too Cork (club is in disarray)
    Home too Dundalk (fixtures could catch up to them)
    Final game is away too Finn Harps (possibly preparing for a playoff and will field a weaker team)

But our form is up and down

Cork City manager Neale Fenn has departed the club, according to usually reliable sources.

With City mired at the foot of the SSE Airtricity Premier Division with just five games to go in the current campaign, the club has reportedly acted in a last-ditch bid to stave off the drop.

Fenn's assistant Joe Gamble has also reportedly left the club, with Colin Healy, currently head of City's academy, linked with taking over the first team until the end of the season.

Fenn joined City as manager in August 2019, but has managed just four wins in 22 league games since taking charge, and just two so far this season.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40061276.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Certainly seemed a sense of inevitability about Fenn going, maybe sooner than I thought though. It just didn't work out, I don't have any strong feelings against him and certainly not as much as some, it was a tough situation for him to come into really. Results haven't been good enough though so just means one thing. I don't know what happened with Daire, but footballing wise he wasn't much loss. People seemed to talk about him potentially playing well, way, way more than he actually did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Had to happen. Timing for Fenn and City was bad I think. Nothing against the man himself, simply didn't work out.

Might be the change we need to get a few points that might get us off the bottom before the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Dara told to go and according from those in the know - the rest were told they wont be retained for next season
    Nobody can have any sympathy for a manager who's own neck was under a dangling axe to be making decisions on young players futures at the club prematurely like that before the end of season who they may very well need around for next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

deisedude wrote: »
    Trevor Hemmings, the Preston owner would know Cork well. He has been the owner of Trabolgan Holiday Village for a number of years. He isn't another Arkaga

Arkaga was headed up by a Cork man. Tom Coughlan was a local man, too. When push came to shove, that didn't count for anything and neither will Hemmings "knowing Cork well".

I cant put my finger on why but any time I saw Fenn doing an interview he just reminds me of a dodgy used car salesmen

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Nobody can have any sympathy for a manager who's own neck was under a dangling axe to be making decisions on young players futures at the club prematurely like that before the end of season who they may very well need around for next season

i couldnt trust his judgement when out of the 6 he told to take a hike, one of them wasn't Cian Coleman...he actually makes me miss the Garry Buckley or Iain Turner days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Going by past form Rovers will snap him up tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Colin Healy is the name going around.
    I'd get Reynolds in to be honest.

Rennie is too good to be managing in the First Division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Rennie in the long term would be my choice. Is he still getting paid by Dundalk?
    Healers seems the obvious choice for the short term but I don’t think he’s an interest in it full time and doesn’t have his pro Licence either. Although that’s only an issue if by some miracle we manage too stay in the Premier

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Arkaga was headed up by a Cork man. Tom Coughlan was a local man, too. When push came to shove, that didn't count for anything and neither will Hemmings "knowing Cork well".

I can totally understand the apprehension and scepticism when any outside investor comes into the League of Ireland given whats gone on before.

The cynic in me thinks Cork City could be used as a feeder club by Preston. With Brexit making it harder for English clubs to get Irish players for academies it could be a shrewd way for Preston to get talented Irish young players

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

I can totally understand the apprehension and scepticism when any outside investor comes into the League of Ireland given whats gone on before.

The cynic in me thinks Cork City could be used as a feeder club by Preston. With Brexit making it harder for English clubs to get Irish players for academies it could be a shrewd way for Preston to get talented Irish young players

Brexit will have no impact on Irish players going over as Ireland / UK will still have the CTA which was in place before the foundation of the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Couldn't see Rennie touching the Cork job - but you never know I suppose.

Left Waterford, a club in a much better position, after being messed around by the owner.

Cork look favourites to be relegated, and be taken over in an ownership which resembles what Waterford have at the moment.

I think I'd be continuing with my Ireland U21 gig if I was him.

No evidence of this whatsoever. Mind you, doubt the takeover even passes the vote.

No evidence whatsoever?

Are you saying that the club isn't about to be sold to a UK owner, who also owns another EFL club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Poor decisions have been made in Cork especially around budgets, however you'll always have people in charge that love the club and try and do what's best. Better than being in a position of having owners and no clue what the end game is.

If Foras members do agree to sell up hopefully it's only 49% so they still control of the club

doncarlos wrote: »
    If Foras members do agree to sell up hopefully it's only 49% so they still control of the club

Looks like it's all or nothing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Is the 85 year old in it for the long haul though?

Is the 85 year old in it for the long haul though?

Well tbf, his son is chairman of PNE so I'd assume there has been some consultation over the proposal.

And he's a pound sterling billionaire (the father)!!!

That would be over 10% of our league clubs owned or part owned by billionaires!

• Advertisement

No evidence of this whatsoever. Mind you, doubt the takeover even passes the vote.

And that’s the sad thing looking at how the clubs been run in last 2 years .,. I’ve a feeling the current board are sick of it and want to be to done- given a **** show by the last one

Why can't Cork properly sustain a club without being kept on life support by a UK Sugar Daddy?

A sporting mad city, the second largest in the country, always got big crowds coming into games and little or no opposition in the region (no offense to Cobh who are 30 mins down the road).

You can make the point that COVID made trading very difficult this year, but the only reason they could compete this year was via the financial deal from Preston.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Why can't Cork properly sustain a club without being kept on life support by a UK Sugar Daddy?

A sporting mad city, the second largest in the country, always got big crowds coming into games and little or no opposition in the region (no offense to Cobh who are 30 mins down the road).

You can make the point that COVID made trading very difficult this year, but the only reason they could compete this year was via the financial deal from Preston.

I would hazard a guess that Cork have one of the higher revenues per annum than most other LoI clubs, but it would seem to be a simple case of poor performances on the pitch not giving a financial return on the (over?)spending off the pitch.

They probably could've said we'll spend X and be financially safe and finish mid-table, but if they did, crowds would have dropped and they'd be in a downward spiral anyway. Just on a slower time frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

hardybuck wrote: »

It's a bit of a nonsense to say Corks a sports mad city. The hurling clubs are well supported but that's about it.
    City can't maintain a club because they keep spending beyond their means. They see a crowd of 3 or 4000 and think that's the way its always going to be and budget accordingly and seem to never learn.
    They've had 5 good years of good crowds and Euro money and they end up bottom of the league 3 years on from a double winning season.
    It's incompetence and nothing else.

Cork are ( now) one city club and have a much bigger base than say Dundalk or Sligo. I know tradition plays a big part and both are ‘soccer’ towns but still it’s baffling how the city can’t fully support one club. Then again we can’t talk.

On another note:
    Recently Slovan Bratislava couldn’t fulfill a fixture because of covid and KI were given a 3 - 0 walkover. I know UEFA had a deadline and couldn’t wait around and if they same were to happen to Dundalk Molde/Rapid/Arsenal would get walkovers ( actually that’s quite attractive for the Arsenal away match :))
    Anyway with Dundalk having a very tight schedule why did the league postpone the match. The final Dundalk ( Sligo) match is already postponed until November. And Pats are already out of the cup.

• Advertisement

Dundalk have a minimum of 13 matches still to fulfill

Filipe could have had the full team against Harps

All Dundalk Europa matches are on VM 2 free to air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I don't think that's being cynical, it's being realistic. I think it's clear one of the main advantageous for them will be getting the pick of the best young players. They've gotten some good players from us in recent years, most notably Alan Browne. They signed him when he was 18, before he even broke into City's first time. They've also recently bought one our U17 players. Having the same owner will effectively give them the first pick of any promising young player and for free.

The compensation that has to be paid for youth players/the sell-on clauses negotiated in transfers can end up being very valuable - just look at Matt Doherty, Kevin Doyle and Shane Long. If Preston get one good player every few years, that probably covers whatever money they might put into the club.
    grayzer75 wrote: »
    Brexit will have no impact on Irish players going over as Ireland / UK will still have the CTA which was in place before the foundation of the EU.

Yes it will. Under FIFA transfer regulations, players can't transfer to a club in another nation until they reach 18. There are some exceptions, the main one being when the two clubs are both from EU/EEA nations, in which case the minimum age for a player to transfer is 16. With Brexit, UK clubs won't be able to avail of this exception anymore. It's a FIFA rule, nothing to do with the CTA.

As the players will be older transferring to the UK, they'll have spent more time with Irish club(s), meaning more compensation is due. It could also lead to the UK team losing out on the player altogether, if they have to wait and other clubs come in in the meantime. By having an Irish club as their subsidiary, it allows them to hold onto the player through the Irish club until he turns 18 and then officially transfer him over to the UK club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Yes it will. Under FIFA transfer regulations, players can't transfer to a club in another nation until they reach 18. There are some exceptions, the main one being when the two clubs are both from EU/EEA nations, in which case the minimum age for a player to transfer is 16. With Brexit, UK clubs won't be able to avail of this exception anymore. It's a FIFA rule, nothing to do with the CTA.

As the players will be older transferring to the UK, they'll have spent more time with Irish club(s), meaning more compensation is due. It could also lead to the UK team losing out on the player altogether, if they have to wait and other clubs come in in the meantime. By having an Irish club as their subsidiary, it allows them to hold onto the player through the Irish club until he turns 18 and then officially transfer him over to the UK club.

It will still be easier for an 18 year old Irish player to move than from another EU country at 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

That relates to professional contracts. Players will still be eligible for scholarships from the age of 16 but can't sign pro until 18. They used to be able to sign pro at 17 under the current arrangements. Brexit will not stop English clubs picking up talent in Ireland as they will be able to move and live in the UK without a need for work / study permits.

Dundalk have switched their first europa league group match to Tallaght The Rapid and Arsenal matches are still at the Aviva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

joeysoap wrote: »
    Dundalk have switched their first europa league group match to Tallaght The Rapid and Arsenal matches are still at the Aviva
    Good news. The Aviva pitch is a bit too big for them I think. Tallaght stadium will suit much better.

Thought all group games had to be at the same venue.

Zebra3 wrote: »

I thought that too.

Hope to f*ck we see a bit of fight from the City team tonight. Healy's not there to molly-coddle them, he's quite vocal with the 19s. Hope he gave 'em a bollocking yesterday and they'll be raring to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pighead wrote: »
    Good news. The Aviva pitch is a bit too big for them I think. Tallaght stadium will suit much better.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    I thought that too.

So did I but yesterday I saw hoarding with Dundalk's crest replacing the Rovers one over the tunnel so I'd say there's truth to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Omackeral wrote: »
    So did I but yesterday I saw hoarding with Dundalk's crest replacing the Rovers one over the tunnel so I'd say there's truth to it.

That was a video from 2016 AFAIK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

That was from 2016, but its in Tallaght as the Aviva cannot hold 2 sports events in a stadium on a Thurs and a Sat (rugby on Saturday) even though no fans will be in attendance.

I **** you not that's why its in Tallaght

Shame Dane Maaaey ( operation). couldn’t be included but that’s the way it goes I suppose

Dundalk FC Europa League Squad

Goalkeepers: Gary Rogers, Aaron McCarey, Jimmy Corcoran.

Defenders: Sean Gannon, Brian Gartland, Sean Hoare, Darragh Leahy, Daniel Cleary, Cameron Dummigan, Andy Boyle.

Midfielders: Chris Shields, Jordan Flores, John Mountney, Greg Sloggett, Patrick McEleney, Sean Murray, Stefan Colovic, Daniel Kelly.

Attackers: Michael Duffy, Patrick Hoban, Nathan Oduwa, David McMillan, Jamie Wynne*.

*B List

Europa League Group B Fixtures
    October 22nd: Molde (Tallaght Stadium) 5.55pm
    October 29th: Arsenal (A) 8pm
    November 5th: Rapid Wien (A) 5.55pm
    November 26th: Rapid Wien (Aviva Stadium) 8pm
    December 3rd: Molde (A) 8pm
    December 10th: Arsenal (Aviva Stadium) 8pm

Arsenal Europa league squad - no Ozil

Goalkeepers: Leno, Runarsson, Macey, Hillson, Iliev

Defenders: Bellerin, Gabriel, Holding, Cedric , Mustafi, Chambers, Pablo Mari, David Luiz, Kolasinac, Tierney

Midfielders: Dani Ceballos, Willian, Maitland-Niles, Partey, Elneny, Xhaka

Forwards: Lacazette, Aubameyang, Pepe

Nelson, Saka, Willock and Smith Rowe are all included as homegrown players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Cork are lucky to be only 2-0 to Bohs after 20 mins they're poison, lovely lob by Grant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Wasnt expecting anything other than defeat tonight anyway. Points are possible in last few games but we might need an extra bit of luck to get them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Pretty easy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Andre Wright turning into a goal machine lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

Andre Wright turning into a goal machine lately

European football secured for next season and 2nd place nearly there. Would have taken that at the start of the season. Here's to hoping Bohemians can actually enjoy a real taste of European football next season when it comes around.

• Advertisement

2nd place is an unbelievable achievement if we can secure it. We've come a long long way together.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement