Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

No just a few on here who think it would be a disgrace if we play 'up there'

Avivas not available so Windsors the next best option

Seems like Dundalk are confident Uefa are going to allow it aswell going by reports around Oriel this evening

Don't come back looking to use Tallaght again so. Ye may as well play in Belfast fulltime from now on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Don't come back looking to use Tallaght again so. Ye may as well play in Belfast fulltime from now on.

I'm sure SDCC will have no problem letting us play there next season if we need once we pay the rent. They are the only ones that matter

I'm sure SDCC will have no problem letting us play there next season if we need once we pay the rent. They are the only ones that matter

But Windsor could be a great fit. A marriage made in heaven. This could become a home from home. Dundalk and Linfield joint Windsor tenants. The football version of the chuckle brothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

By the sounds of the few Dundalk lads on here, even if there was fans allowed there'd be a mass exodus of the town all heading to Windsor on their merry travels proudly representing the Republic of Ireland. Last person to leave to turn the lights out. Belfast jolly here we come.

Think you will find the majority of people in Dundalk have moved on since the 70s, 80s or 90s for that matter and see Dundalk as being in Ireland....no need for more to be added. If the club were to play in Belfast, Limerick, Cork, Dublin or Derry and fans were allowed to attend then we would do just that. A stadium or city will never prevent us supporting our club...an Irish club in the group stages of a major European competition.

By the sounds of the few Dundalk lads on here, even if there was fans allowed there'd be a mass exodus of the town all heading to Windsor on their merry travels proudly representing the Republic of Ireland. Last person to leave to turn the lights out. Belfast jolly here we come.

Who said that? Said there was no problems last time we played

Fans won't be allowed go to the games bar maybe 500 max so stop talking ****e

What's your issue with Dundalk playing in Belfast?

Who said that? Said there was no problems last time we played

Fans won't be allowed go to the games bar maybe 500 max so stop talking ****e

What's your issue with Dundalk playing in Belfast?

Do i have to repeat it for the umpteenth time?

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND LEAGUE WINNERS SHOULD PLAY THEIR EUROPEAN GAMES IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND.

Do i have to repeat it for the umpteenth time?

I want to know if Dundalk play in Belfast, what would your issue be considering you don't support Dundalk (I don't think)
    What difference does it make to you?

I want to know if Dundalk play in Belfast, what would your issue be considering you don't support Dundalk (I don't think)
    What difference does it make to you?

It's an embarrasment for the league that we cannot even host our home games in our own country.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND LEAGUE WINNERS SHOULD PLAY THEIR EUROPEAN GAMES IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND.

Did you feel the same for Derrys games when they won the LOI or every year they have played in Europe?

• Advertisement

Did you feel the same for Derrys games when they won the LOI or every year they have played in Europe?

Come on thats totally different situation. Would you say the vast majority of Dundalk people are happy going to Windsor Park to host these three games? Or whst kind of percentage would you say?

How would that work if Derry won the LOI?? Would you be spouting the same tripe or would you accept them playing in their home ground on Northern Irish soil??

How would that work if Derry won the LOI?? Would you be spouting the same tripe or would you accept them playing in their home ground on Northern Irish soil??

Completely different situation. Stop moving the goalposts.

No wonder some see us as a basket case and a pub league.

Come on thats totally different situation. Would you say the vast majority of Dundalk people are happy going to Windsor Park to host these three games? Or whst kind of percentage would you say?

If you drive 50 odd miles up or down the motorway to play a game....doubt anyone will be bothered by it, in fact I know a few lads who will say Belfast is better...not tolls to pay. In fact I suspect anyone lucky enough to get a ticket would travel even further if they had to.

Completely different situation. Stop moving the goalposts.
    No it is not moving goal posts...you said LOI clubs should play European games in Republic of Ireland......ohh wait except Derry.

Well going by my WhatsApp group from lads that go to games, nobody gives a ****e where its played.

It's a game of football, just can't wait to see them

We wont fall out over lads. Ye've made ye're points. I've said my piece. There's not much more to add.

Well going by my WhatsApp group from lads that go to games, nobody gives a ****e where its played.

It's a game of football, just can't wait to see them

Looking forward to them myself.

Honestly speaking there's more chance of getting to a game in Belfast than here (it should be opposite but it's not)

If they allow the current 500, every season ticket holder, sponsor, supporters club member should get a game each (that's not gonna go happen i don't think but possible)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Perhaps Thomond Park or the RDS might be available.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Perhaps Thomond Park or the RDS might be available.

Neither meets the criteria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Do tell, as Cork City were supposedly gonna use TP if needed two years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The grounds(men) bit I partly get, surely football markings for Wednesday and Thursday and rugby markings for Friday Sarturday. The Olympic stadium in Rome is a football stadium with the football markings ‘ greened’ out?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/1012/1170980-dundalk-look-to-windsor-park-to-avoid-50k-europa-bill/

It must cost €50,000 to bring Tallaght up to group league level. I know during the last group Dundalk had to hire in VIP Facilities and erect a marquee outside the West stand. I assume the dugouts do not need to be reinstalled.

Thomond hosted an Ireland game in 2009. Would be streets ahead of Tallaght.

Thomond hosted an Ireland game in 2009. Would be streets ahead of Tallaght.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that it would need certain upgrades to host a Europa League group stage game, Tallaght will need upgrades done (as Dundalk have said will cost even more money than Aviva with things that are needed)

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure I've seen that it would need certain upgrades to host a Europa League group stage game, Tallaght will need upgrades done (as Dundalk have said will cost even more money than Aviva with things that are needed)

I'd say it'd be fairly minimal as it's built to host big games with all the relevant TV facilities etc.

Belfast probably suits ye better though - the shortest spin.

SDCC don’t appear to be getting involved. Fair play to them.

I wouldn’t like Dundalk to play in Thomond even if the IRFU gave it free- which they wouldn’t anyway. ( why should they)

I’d be happy enough with Windsor. No fans but if there were - its south side of Belfast. Or all 3 matches in Tallaght. I wouldn’t give The Aviva any rent, fine stadium and all that is is.

joeysoap wrote: »
    SDCC don’t appear to be getting involved. Fair play to them.

I wouldn’t like Dundalk to play in Thomond even if the IRFU gave it free- which they wouldn’t anyway. ( why should they)

I’d be happy enough with Windsor. No fans but if there were its south side of Belfast. Or all 3 matches in Tallaght. I wouldn’t give The Aviva any rent, fine stadium and all that is is.

Agree I still think in 2016 we should have played Leiga at Tallaght and not in the Aviva

Jeeez but soccer republic was dire tonight. Not the football. The commentary and the editing. Like it done by someone with a bottle of Jemmie in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,183 ✭✭✭Guffy

We don't have one to give them.

Some people would really want to take their heads out of their arses. Comments on here have been fairly pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

So you'll have a problem with Derry playing their games in the Brandywell next time they win the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

**** the IRFU, crying to the Govt for money but able to turn down rent on the stadium (which will prob be empty for at least another 12 months)

IRFU stand to make way more if the national team finish the 6 nations strongly. The rent of Aviva goes to the New Stadium Limited, not the IRFU. IRFU did not turn down income and nor should they give up their booking just becaise of incompetence of a LOI club

It also speaks volumes about Dundalk FC that despite all the success, they cannot even hold a fixture in their own stadium behind closed doors.

I would say the gall of the IRFU wanting €30 million of tax payers money to cover loss of income during Covid, then to turn down income regardless of how little for a kicking session. You are obviously a rugby man who sees no harm in them refusing income when begging to tax payers money. I would say that is exactly what is wrong with Irish sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

**** the IRFU, crying to the Govt for money but able to turn down rent on the stadium (which will prob be empty for at least another 12 months)

IRFU stand to make way more if the national team finish the 6 nations strongly. The rent of Aviva goes to the New Stadium Limited, not the IRFU. IRFU did not turn down income and nor should they give up their booking just becaise of incompetence of a LOI club

It also speaks volumes about Dundalk FC that despite all the success, they cannot even hold a fixture in their own stadium behind closed doors.

I would say the gall of the IRFU wanting €30 million of tax payers money to cover loss of income during Covid, then to turn down income regardless of how little for a kicking session. You are obviously a rugby man who sees no harm in them refusing income when begging to tax payers money. I would say that is exactly what is wrong with Irish sport.

How much of a bailout are the FAI getting BTW as a result of 30 or 40 years of incompetence in the board room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Do tell, as Cork City were supposedly gonna use TP if needed two years ago?

I know when there was talk of the Euro U21s being held here and up north that grounds had to have electronic turnstiles and that was a major stumbling block for the FAI and IFA. I'm not sure if this also applies to the EL group stages, but if it applies to the Euro U21 finals games, I'd assume so. Does Thomond have them?

There's so much stuff that UEFA demand from clubs playing in Europe. Fans would only see a very small side of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

The grounds(men) bit I partly get, surely football markings for Wednesday and Thursday and rugby markings for Friday Sarturday. The Olympic stadium in Rome is a football stadium with the football markings ‘ greened’ out?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/1012/1170980-dundalk-look-to-windsor-park-to-avoid-50k-europa-bill/

It must cost €50,000 to bring Tallaght up to group league level. I know during the last group Dundalk had to hire in VIP Facilities and erect a marquee outside the West stand. I assume the dugouts do not need to be reinstalled.

€30k a match for the Aviva. No wonder the IRFU aren't rushing to change their plans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I know when there was talk of the Euro U21s being held here and up north that grounds had to have electronic turnstiles and that was a major stumbling block for the FAI and IFA. I'm not sure if this also applies to the EL group stages, but if it applies to the Euro U21 finals games, I'd assume so. Does Thomond have them?

There's so much stuff that UEFA demand from clubs playing in Europe. Fans would only see a very small side of it.

Tallaght doesn't meet the full criteria for group stages but it got exemptions the last time. Things like the size of the advertising boards, car parking spaces, enclosed tunnel for team buses all come into play the further you go in European competition.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Windsor is a good move, it's closer to Dundalk than Tallaght and will help normalise teams playing both sides of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Jeeez but soccer republic was dire tonight. Not the football. The commentary and the editing. Like it done by someone with a bottle of Jemmie in them.

Do they not tweet out the highlights anymore? Was working over the weekend and saw very little football and was hoping to catch up today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

To be fair, Tallaght despite being head & shoulders the best football ground in the LOI does lack a couple of the requirements for latter stage involvement in UEFA competitions, hence SDCC as part of the phase to build the fourth stand (which has just been granted planning permission) includes redevelopment of the main stand to incorporate additional facilities that would meet the UEFA requirements. Some elements could never be met in fairness & being realistic if a LOI team ever managed to progress that far into the competition would need the likes of the AVIVA anyway so theres no need to go overboard there IMO.

Windsor is the national stadium for NI, and therefore currently meets all the requirements to host international competition, similar to the AVIVA in the republic so would in terms of facilities be a step up from Tallaght, so if its available & a deal can be made due to the unavailability of the AVIVA then Dundalk are simply being prudent in exploring it as an option, & if UEFA allow it there really is no issue other than pedantics.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Was reading one of the Peak lads say yesterday ' would you want to play the likes of Arsenal in Tallaght? We're trying to showcase football here in Ireland all over Europe'. Nice one. Tallaght has hosted Real Madrid, Zenith St Petersburg, Tottenham and AC Milan and not a bother with any. But this lad thinks Tallaght is not up to it and publicly derides it as an option. Windsor Park will showcase our league to the rest of Europe he thinks. Yea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Was reading one of the Peak lads say yesterday ' would you want to play the likes of Arsenal in Tallaght? We're trying to showcase football here in Ireland all over Europe'. Nice one. Tallaght has hosted Real Madrid, Zenith St Petersburg, Tottenham and AC Milan and not a bother with any. But this lad thinks Tallaght is not up to it and publicly derides it as an option. Windsor Park will showcase our league to the rest of Europe he thinks. Yea.
    give it a break.. we get it at this stage your against dundalk playing up north..:rolleyes:

shanec1928 wrote: »
    give it a break.. we get it at this stage your against dundalk playing up north..:rolleyes:

Whatever you say lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

As said numerous times Tallaght is not up to standard and would cost 50k to meet the standard.

Windsor is up to standard, it's closer, easier to access, cheaper to get to and probably cheaper to rent.

In summary Dundalk will go wherever is available, and suits them best.

Their owner has demonstrated his fondness of having a moan and criticising other organisations in the media when he doesn't get everything he wants. We've seen it before and we'll probably see it again.

I'd hate to see his reviews on Tripadvisor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Arsenal have played in tallaght before in 2010

they sent their reserve team for a summer friendly but still :p

Their owner has demonstrated his fondness of having a moan and criticising other organisations in the media when he doesn't get everything he wants. We've seen it before and we'll probably see it again.

I suspect this will come back to burn him at some stage, if it hasn't already.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Arsenal have played in tallaght before in 2010

they sent their reserve team for a summer friendly but still :p

This has zero to do with Arsenal. Anyway, they'll be sticking out a weakened team anyway & wont care a jot about where they play, as long as its safe.

DvB wrote: »
    This has zero to do with Arsenal. Anyway, they'll be sticking out a weakened team anyway & wont care a jot about where they play, as long as its safe.

Exactly. So why the need for Peak 6 to slag Tallaght off by saying we're trying to showcase Irish football on the European stage and we don't want to play there? What does it matter if there's no fans (or very little). If its Belfast then fair enough but that was a cheap shot at Tallaght and the league from some yank thats in the door a wet week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

DvB wrote: »

ah jaysis lighten up will ya :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

In summary Dundalk will go wherever is available, and suits them best.

I'd hate to see his reviews on Tripadvisor...

Does he not realise that the main problem is that Dundalk don't have a ground of their own up to scratch?

The IRFU ponied up over €100M towards the new Lansdowne. If they don't want to move a training session they'd already planned, it's their prerogative.

This would be like some junior club demanding Dundalk cancel their training sessions at Oriel so they could use the ground instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement