Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    ah jaysis lighten up will ya :rolleyes:

Your point caller?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The document is here I think..

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Stadium&Security/01/48/48/85/1484885_DOWNLOAD.pdf
    Stadiums must be in good condition and all public areas must be well lit. There must be no loose material (e.g. stones, concrete) which may be hazardous, thrown or otherwise misused.
    A sufficient number of clean and hygienic sanitary facilities must be distributed evenly throughout all sectors based on an 80:20 ratio of men to women. Seated toilets and urinals must be equipped with flushes. Sinks and toilet paper and soap dispensers must be provided and firmly fixed in place.

22.02 The minimum requirements for sanitary facilities are as follows:
    a. 1 seated toilet per 250 men;
    b. 1 urinal per 125 men;
    c. 1 seated toilet per 125 women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

DvB wrote: »
    Your point caller?

Ah just clocked now youre an Arsenal fan getting defensive,

anyways it was a light hearted comment about them playing in Tallaght before, wasnt a dig at your prescious gunners so lighten up point still stands

Ah just clocked now youre an Arsenal fan getting defensive,

anyways it was a light hearted comment about them playing in Tallaght before, wasn't a dig at your prescious gunners so lighten up point still stands

Rovers fan actually.

I was pointing out was that the Dundalk owners attempt at making it sound like this had some involvement from Arsenal when we all know this has sod all to do with them, hence my comment that they wont care where the game is played once its safe.

It was a poor attempt from the owner to use them to try & reinforce his petty rant and just showed him up as an entitled fool & he needs to be called out on that IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Rovers fan actually.

I was pointing out was that the Dundalk owners attempt at making it sound like this had some involvement from Arsenal when we all know this has sod all to do with them, hence my comment that they wont care where the game is played once its safe.

Same, hopefully we will be able attend our European games next year!

• Advertisement

Same, hopefully we will be able attend our European games next year!

& in a perfectly acceptable Tallaght Stadium too!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

grayzer75 wrote: »
    As said numerous times Tallaght is not up to standard and would cost 50k to meet the standard.

Windsor is up to standard, it's closer, easier to access, cheaper to get to and probably cheaper to rent.

If it's Dundalk trying to cost cut, then they're better off saying that than anything about Arsenal being in Tallaght or bad blood with the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

& in a perfectly acceptable Tallaght Stadium too!

Spot on man. Rovers fan here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

dfx- wrote: »
    If it's Dundalk trying to cost cut, then they're better off saying that than anything about Arsenal being in Tallaght or bad blood with the IRFU.

Mad Bill always speaks before he thinks which is his biggest problem. He should've kept his mouth shut and just worked away in the background on the Windsor deal then release a statement if everything was sorted and approved by UEFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/shamrock-rovers-v-derry-city-live-on-rte2-this-friday/id-3531

and if Bohemians drop points, Shamrock Rovers can win the title with a win.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

the main cost associated with bringing Tallaght up to sniff is the installation of goal line tech that is required at this stage (and wasn't required before now).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Arsenal have played in tallaght before in 2010

they sent their reserve team for a summer friendly but still :p

And Liverpool, Tottenham, Celtic played European football in Oriel . Means nothing now. ( man united even played in Oriel _- in a pre season friendly - Cantona even missed a penalty) Jack Charlton took virtually thr whole Irish team here too but that was once, this is now.
    dan1895 wrote: »
    Do they not tweet out the highlights anymore? Was working over the weekend and saw very little football and was hoping to catch up today.

Highlights were fine, I enjoyed them but dire commentary and editing,
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    Does he not realise that the main problem is that Dundalk don't have a ground of their own up to scratch?

The IRFU ponied up over €100M towards the new Lansdowne. If they don't want to move a training session they'd already planned, it's their prerogative.

This would be like some junior club demanding Dundalk cancel their training sessions at Oriel so they could use the ground instead.

There are 19 league grounds, none of which are up to group standard incl Tallaght. I hope Rovers qualify next year, I really do. We’ll see then if they use Tallaght. Maybe by then sdcc will have carried out the improvements, but I doubt it.

joeysoap wrote: »

Maybe by then sdcc will carried out the improvements, but I doubt it.

Improvements not planned until the development of the fourth stand at the square end of the ground are complete. Rovers need to relocate their admin operations to the new stand, thus freeing up the facilities to the rear of the main stand for development. The improvements are planned & programmed for but theres a sequencing to be followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

There are 19 league grounds, none of which are up to group standard incl Tallaght. I hope Rovers qualify next year, I really do. We’ll see then if they use Tallaght. Maybe by then sdcc will have carried out the improvements, but I doubt it.

I'm fully aware of all this.

But like the FAI years ago, when you haven't got a ground of your own up to standard, you need to be more diplomatic about things.

Or to be more blunt about, use basic cop on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

All the last 24 hours for nothing. UEFA have said no to using Windsor as they say we have grounds available in the Republic.

Tallaght it is for the 3 games I assume.

Big one tonight, Massive week coming up before that
    Cork tonight
    Bohs Home Fri
    Derry Mon

Id say we will go all out for 6 points V Cork and Bohs and play anyone not due to play Molde Thurs V Derry.

if we dont pick up at least 4 pts between Cork and Bohs, we will have to go strong V Derry

Let’s hope it’s Tallaght for all 3, and stuff the Aviva.

A few years ago I booked a weekend in a Galway hotel ( I cant remember the name, in Newcastle, knocked now and being rebuilt.) anyway it turned out they couldn’t honour the booking as they were overbooked. Couldn’t have been better about it, booked us into Glenlo Abbey for the weekend :):):)

Dundalk shouldn’t have been out €50,000 because the Aviva got their dates mixed up. (It’s a rescheduled Rugby match).

As an aside it looks like we can kick the all Ireland league down the road for a few more years. We’re not ready yet.

A few years ago I booked a weekend in s Galway hotel ( I cant remember the name, in Newcastle, knocked now and being rebuilt.) anyway it turned out they couldn’t honour the booking as they were overbooked. Couldn’t have been better about it, booked us into Glenlo Abbey for the weekend :):):)

Dundalk shouldn’t have been out €50,000 because the Aviva got their dates mixed up. (It’s a rescheduled Rugby match).

As an aside it looks like we can kick the all Ireland league down the road for a few more years. We’re not ready yet.

What has happened that makes you feel we're not ready for an All Ire league?

If it's true it's good to have Dundalk in Tallaght. If i can get in somehow i will. Although Dundalk fans first call on that obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

If it's true it's good to have Dundalk in Tallaght. If i can get in somehow i will. Although Dundalk fans first call on that obviously.

Good luck with that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Wouldn't be surprised if Hulziers next move is to move Dundalk to Windsor permanently.

Good luck with that

Its a long shot but slightly better chance than if it was in Belfast :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

A few years ago I booked a weekend in a Galway hotel ( I cant remember the name, in Newcastle, knocked now and being rebuilt.) anyway it turned out they couldn’t honour the booking as they were overbooked. Couldn’t have been better about it, booked us into Glenlo Abbey for the weekend :):):)

The Westwood :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Wouldn't be surprised if Hulziers next move is to move Dundalk to Windsor permanently.

He may well try it. He's already tried to move them to Dublin. He comes from a culture in America where its not uncommon for a team to up sticks and move a few hundred miles down the road if they're offered a better stadium.

What has happened that makes you feel we're not ready for an All Ire league?

Clearly not ready. Closed minds.

Clearly not ready. Closed minds.

Was it ever a runner to be fair? I always was supportive of an All Ireland league. From the very start i hoped it would happen and still do. Anything to make the league stronger. But i never got the feeling the northern clubs were as keen for it as we were down here. It's as far awayas ever unfortunately.

He may well try it. He's already tried to move them to Dublin. He comes from a culture in America where its not uncommon for a team to up sticks and move a few hundred miles down the road if they're offered a better stadium.

I read Peak 6 have set up an academy in Belfast and have created 160 jobs up there so they have a foothold in the city.

Wasn there a rumour that the reformed Belfast Celtic were gonna apply to join the LOI system rather than the IL one?

The Dundalk lads on here said building a stadium even just outside the town wouldn't be great for fans who like to be within walking distance so what would happen if the whole club moved to Dublin or Belfast? Crazy idea.

• Advertisement

Nil all at half time. For the 2nd match in a row Dundalk denied a stonewall penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Wasn there a rumour that the reformed Belfast Celtic were gonna apply to join the LOI system rather than the IL one?
    wasnt a reformed club, "sport and leisure swifts fc" changed their name who were already in the IL pyramid, best link they had to the old club was being from the general area. Nothing ever came of a move, not sure if it was even formal enquiries.
    They currely play in the Ballymena and Provinvial Football league (regional/4th tier) and the talk was when they were being relagated from the intermediate/third tier... cant say they'd have been an addition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Poxy goal to give away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

2 now, pity.

Finn Harps now 8 goals better off than Cork City. Like an extra point at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

The Dundalk lads on here said building a stadium even just outside the town wouldn't be great for fans who like to be within walking distance so what would happen if the whole club moved to Dublin or Belfast? Crazy idea.

If he moved the club he's not expecting the existing fans to travel. Its taking the club out of dundalk to get fans in Belfast or Dublin or wherever. Like you say its a crazy idea but it's not uncommon in American sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

howiya wrote: »
    If he moved the club he's not expecting the existing fans to travel. Its taking the club out of dundalk to get fans in Belfast or Dublin or wherever. Like you say its a crazy idea but it's not uncommon in American sports

Well look at Buckley Park & Ferrcarrig...Both built outside their Town's and difficult to get to

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Aviva Stadium haven't got anything mixed up (?). The rugby game was rescheduled months ago and the build up to that is the same as it normally would be. Dundalk only qualified for these games a few weeks ago.

Kicking practice is always wednesday
    Day before game is always both teams get a run out in stadium with the ground marked out accordingly

It's not the Aviva management's fault, or the IRFU etc because Dundalks ground is a kip and they haven't spent a cent improving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wish the season was over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What’s with the Rovers fans on here getting pissy about Dundalk wanting to play in Belfast and seeing it as a slight on Tallaght? Last time I checked they don’t own Tallaght stadium, so shouldn’t matter to them, nor should they be throwing digs about Oriel after spending 20 or 30 years lodging at various grounds.

The only slight on Tallaght is the Dundalk/Peak 6 boss saying 'do we really want to play Arsenal in Tallaght and this to be shown all over the world?' as if it's some sort of embarrasment. Tallaght has hosted some great European nights. I couldn't care less if Dundalk played in Tallaght, Dalymount or the Aviva or anywhere else in the country. I don't recall any Rovers fans slating Oriel Park either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterfords form at the min is so up and down and a trip to Cork is no means a guaranteed 3 points. We should of beat Shelbourne last week but ****ed it up

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Waterfords form at the min is so up and down and a trip to Cork is no means a guaranteed 3 points. We should of beat Shelbourne last week but ****ed it up

I wasn't sure about Waterford at the start of the season. But even with Sheridan departing it has been a decent season for ye. Looks like Cork will need to beat ye to have chance of staying up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wasn't sure about Waterford at the start of the season. But even with Sheridan departing it has been a decent season for ye. Looks like Cork will need to beat ye to have chance of staying up.

it be fitting if were the ones to relegate our munster rivals

It sure would :)

fullstop wrote: »
    What’s with the Rovers fans on here getting pissy about Dundalk wanting to play in Belfast and seeing it as a slight on Tallaght? Last time I checked they don’t own Tallaght stadium, so shouldn’t matter to them, nor should they be throwing digs about Oriel after spending 20 or 30 years lodging at various grounds.

It's no slight on Tallaght. Rovers would be doing everything they can to paly such games at home in Tallaght working with SDCC while Dundalk are taking some inexplicable approach to a game they need to fulfil in 8 days time by criticising places/institutions and not being allowed play where they want which is unsurprisingly not possible afterall. A total waste of energy.

And it's perfectly acceptable to criticise Oriel at any opportunity regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Is it actually possible?

I didn’t think so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Aviva Stadium haven't got anything mixed up (?). The rugby game was rescheduled months ago and the build up to that is the same as it normally would be. Dundalk only qualified for these games a few weeks ago.

Kicking practice is always wednesday
    Day before game is always both teams get a run out in stadium with the ground marked out accordingly

It's not the Aviva management's fault, or the IRFU etc because Dundalks ground is a kip and they haven't spent a cent improving it.

Ireland have played football the day before a rugby game and no issues so it's possible. Kicking practice could be done with cones rather than the lines marked. So stop with the silly excuses.

IRFU don't want to make this happen and it's their stadium so tough **** Dundalk and that's fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

dfx- wrote: »
    It's no slight on Tallaght. Rovers would be doing everything they can to paly such games at home in Tallaght working with SDCC while Dundalk are taking some inexplicable approach to a game they need to fulfil in 8 days time by criticising places/institutions and not being allowed play where they want which is unsurprisingly not possible afterall. A total waste of energy.

And it's perfectly acceptable to criticise Oriel at any opportunity regardless.

Bill is an absolute idiot. Tallaght is more than adequate to host these games (it has already hosted six Europa League games) and he continues to burn bridges. It would be hilarious/tragic depending on who you support if SDCC decide not to rent.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Bill is an absolute idiot. Tallaght is more than adequate to host these games (it has already hosted six Europa League games) and he continues to burn bridges. It would be hilarious/tragic depending on who you support if SDCC decide not to rent.

To be fair, as a Rovers fan I think I can say I speak for most of us that we don't really care that Dundalk use Tallaght for european games. Its genuinely not that big a deal to us (at least not to any of the Rovers fans I know). There might be some online trolling etc across various message boards but outside of that I doubt anyone is really that bothered. With respect to our fantastic landlords, just try not to damage the place like has happened previously, as SDCC kind of frown on that kind of thing. (thats a story for another day though)

The irony surrounding Bill & his regular outrages is that he professes in many of them that he is in fact acting or speaking for the entire LOI family when its as clear as the nose on his face that he's doing no such thing, which FTR is fine in itself, but less of the posturing that he's doing this for the benefit of the whole league. He's not even doing it for the benefit of Dundalk, he's doing it for the benefit of Peak 6 & their bank balance & nothing else. I'd be amazed if the clued in Dundalk support aren't secretly pulling their hair out at his ongoing tirade against all & sundry when he doesn't get his own way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't hold anything Hulsizer says against Dundalk fans, he's not what we're used to. In all fairness most fans are behind the other clubs in Europe.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement