Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Wasn there a rumour that the reformed Belfast Celtic were gonna apply to join the LOI system rather than the IL one?

There are currently two clubs in West Belfast using the name Belfast Celtic. The first Belfast Celtic YM seems to have the blessing of the Belfast Celtic Historical Society. The second club is Sports & Leisure Swifts which changed it's name to Belfast Celtic and has no relation to the original club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

bocaman wrote: »
    There are currently two clubs in West Belfast using the name Belfast Celtic. The first Belfast Celtic YM seems to have the blessing of the Belfast Celtic Historical Society. The second club is Sports & Leisure Swifts which changed it's name to Belfast Celtic and has no relation to the original club.

yeah it was the reformed S&L swifts on, for some reason i had thought it was Donegal Celtic taht reformed as Belfast Celtic.

learn somethng new every day, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Is it actually possible?

I didn’t think so...

Yeah Harps don't play till Monday and they're playing Rovers so a Waterford win would all but relegate Cork but won't be the final nail in the coffin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: Just to let posters know I deleted a couple of posts to review. This thread works very well in general and it is good to have a place that allows discussion of the league in a more 'neutral' way than a dedicated team super-thread for example.

It is not a place for strong tribalism. Posters can have their preferences and post about them once it is not done so in a disruptive way. If regulars see a style of posting that is disrupting the thread please report posts so mods can take a look and try to moves things on. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

howiya wrote: »
    Yeah Harps don't play till Monday and they're playing Rovers so a Waterford win would all but relegate Cork but won't be the final nail in the coffin
    Not really... Corks last fixtures are Waterford (h), Sligo (a) and Derry(h).
    Harps play shams(h) bohs (a), pats(h),Waterford (h)

Maybe/hopefully shams will have a hangover, bohs nothing to play for by then too but you'd still expect them to turn up. The remaining teams for both sides are all in the euro hunt but also no great shakes. There's points to be had for both and only 2 between them. Still very much looking over the shoulder... And sad fenn is gone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Aviva Stadium haven't got anything mixed up (?). The rugby game was rescheduled months ago and the build up to that is the same as it normally would be. Dundalk only qualified for these games a few weeks ago.

Kicking practice is always wednesday
    Day before game is always both teams get a run out in stadium with the ground marked out accordingly

It's not the Aviva management's fault, or the IRFU etc because Dundalks ground is a kip and they haven't spent a cent improving it.

Stop the bus.....the FAI and Aviva management confirmed the stadium availability not only to Dundalk but also to UEFA. Only then did the IFRU came along with their plan for kicking practice......after confirmation. So there was a mistake somewhere...or sour grapes.

As for Oriel being a kip...I would agree with you. However if any other club in Ireland were in Dundalks position they would also have to play in either the government funded Aviva or SSDC owned Tallaght stadium as no other ground is up to standard.

The reason Belfast was looked at was the fact that signage coverage would only be needed to be produced once and not twice for the Aviva and Tallaght and the more important factor is the presence of UEFA goal line technology, something which Tallaght doesnt have. Additionally, as Americans, Peak6 logic was very simple...maybe too simple for Irish minds.....Derry are located in Northern Ireland, play in the LOI, if they qualified would they be oblieged to play in Windsor or Dublin?? UEFA rules state you have to stay in your country!!! Based on that logic and Dundalks location 50 miles from both grounds it was worth a try, at the same time the attempt was worth a potential €50k saving.

This all stems back to the lack of money in the LOI over the last 40+ years. Rovers were homeless for a long time before they got into Tallaght, Dalymount resembles a jungle in parts...the list goes on. Dundalk would require at least €30 million to develope Oriel to UEFA standard.....where should that come from when LOI price money is €100k??? Name one club on the island of Ireland that could justify that investment when attendances are averaging approx. 2k fans per game and there is little to no money to be earned in the domestic league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

DvB wrote: »
    To be fair, as a Rovers fan I think I can say I speak for most of us that we don't really care that Dundalk use Tallaght for european games. Its genuinely not that big a deal to us (at least not to any of the Rovers fans I know). There might be some online trolling etc across various message boards but outside of that I doubt anyone is really that bothered. With respect to our fantastic landlords, just try not to damage the place like has happened previously, as SDCC kind of frown on that kind of thing. (thats a story for another day though)

The irony surrounding Bill & his regular outrages is that he professes in many of them that he is in fact acting or speaking for the entire LOI family when its as clear as the nose on his face that he's doing no such thing, which FTR is fine in itself, but less of the posturing that he's doing this for the benefit of the whole league. He's not even doing it for the benefit of Dundalk, he's doing it for the benefit of Peak 6 & their bank balance & nothing else. I'd be amazed if the clued in Dundalk support aren't secretly pulling their hair out at his ongoing tirade against all & sundry when he doesn't get his own way.

I was hopeful the negative press he was getting might reign him in a bit but I'd imagine he feels vindicated with us qualifying for Europa League.

When Peak6 took over most fans thought we'd get maybe five years, five titles and a couple of group stages before the craziness began.

The crazy thing about the Peak6 takeover nobody knew what their end game was and that still rings true, it doesn't make any sense to me as there is no money to be made in LOI

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

doncarlos wrote: »
    I was hopeful the negative press he was getting might reign him in a bit but I'd imagine he feels vindicated with us qualifying for Europa League.

When Peak6 took over most fans thought we'd get maybe five years, five titles and a couple of group stages before the craziness began.

The crazy thing about the Peak6 takeover nobody knew what their end game was and that still rings true, it doesn't make any sense to me as there is no money to be made in LOI

None of the crap would be happening if Mike Treacy was still involved instead of mad Bill.

doncarlos wrote: »

grayzer75 wrote: »
    None of the crap would be happening if Mike Treacy was still involved instead of mad Bill.

I think they put auld Bill in on purpose....he speaks his mind and highlights what they see as being wrong. Similarly I feel they never wanted to buy or manage the Aviva, it was to show the FAI ...that they were not bigger than the clubs. A form of power struggle to get things moving for the LOI.

Once Bill gets fed up or there are changes of substance maybe then we will see someone replacing him who isnt as public or loud. Maybe then Mike will be finished his sabatical and will be willing to come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wexford are found guilty of playing an ineligible player and forfeit four matches 3-0. I think only one match if the 4 they didn't lose but that was a win against Cabinteely. Could shake up the playoffs picture a bit.

I'm certain that this is the second time in the last few years that this has happened to Wexford. They really need to improve their administrative processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Mike has moved from Chicago to LA so unfortunately I have don't see him returning

Still uses a photo taken in Oriel for his twitter profile, one the first ones to call Delaney to book. Got fcuk all backing for it from some.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

People were calling out Delaney before Tracey had an arse in his trousers.

Still keeping an eye on LOI

Athlones 2nd goal is by an American who Dundalk let go to Athlone.

https://mobile.twitter.com/miketreacy?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

People were calling out Delaney before Tracey had an arse in his trousers.

LOI fans were calling him out but Paul Brown and Andy Connolly really started the ball rolling when they threatened him with court for withholding the European money.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Stop the bus.....the FAI and Aviva management confirmed the stadium availability not only to Dundalk but also to UEFA. Only then did the IFRU came along with their plan for kicking practice......after confirmation. So there was a mistake somewhere...or sour grapes.

As for Oriel being a kip...I would agree with you. However if any other club in Ireland were in Dundalks position they would also have to play in either the government funded Aviva or SSDC owned Tallaght stadium as no other ground is up to standard.

The reason Belfast was looked at was the fact that signage coverage would only be needed to be produced once and not twice for the Aviva and Tallaght and the more important factor is the presence of UEFA goal line technology, something which Tallaght doesnt have. Additionally, as Americans, Peak6 logic was very simple...maybe too simple for Irish minds.....Derry are located in Northern Ireland, play in the LOI, if they qualified would they be oblieged to play in Windsor or Dublin?? UEFA rules state you have to stay in your country!!! Based on that logic and Dundalks location 50 miles from both grounds it was worth a try, at the same time the attempt was worth a potential €50k saving.

This all stems back to the lack of money in the LOI over the last 40+ years. Rovers were homeless for a long time before they got into Tallaght, Dalymount resembles a jungle in parts...the list goes on. Dundalk would require at least €30 million to develope Oriel to UEFA standard.....where should that come from when LOI price money is €100k??? Name one club on the island of Ireland that could justify that investment when attendances are averaging approx. 2k fans per game and there is little to no money to be earned in the domestic league.

Indeed most league of Ireland grounds are of a poor standard which is why I think the FAI stadium licencing system needs overhauling, we really need to improve the spectator experience if we are serious about moving forward as a league, I'm not saying bring stadia up to uefa standards but every club should have proper covered seating for both home and away fans, adequate catering, corporate and media facilities

• Advertisement

Loi fans might well calling him out but I don’t recall any chairman having a public barney with him or any of the ‘others’ on the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Indeed most league of Ireland grounds are of a poor standard which is why I think the FAI stadium licencing system needs overhauling, we really need to improve the spectator experience if we are serious about moving forward as a league, I'm not saying bring stadia up to uefa standards but every club should have proper covered seating for both home and away fans, adequate catering, corporate and media facilities

I'd agree to a point but the likes of Dundalk will always find excuses not to improve the fan experience. They've had ample Euro money that could've been spent on building a stand behind one of the goal, access issues and that kind of things are bread and butter for decent engineers and architects to figure out.

If you look at pictures of somewhere like the showgrounds at the turn of the century and where it is now, it probably started off at a lower point than Oriel is at now but the will to improve what is a locally owned amenity was there. The improvements in Sligo happened by sacrificing a league title or 2 for long term tangible benefits.

Dundalk have been incredibly lucky this year with the path they got in Europe and the 1 game knockout structure in qualifying. It probably keeps the show on the road there for another season or 2 but overall they're living beyond their means to the point where their chairman put a note at the bottom of last year's accounts saying everything was grand and it doesn't matter the club is hemorrhaging money. That kind of thing has a shelf life and they might well find themselves in a position where Champions League money is a necessity in 2022.

Of course its not just Dundalk.
    Had it not been for a bit of foresight from the MFA Cork would probably still be playing games in Bishopstown. And if they hadn't gotten a dig out from local councils, Shams and Bohs would be homeless.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Mike has moved from Chicago to LA so unfortunately I have don't see him returning

Still uses a photo taken in Oriel for his twitter profile, one the first ones to call Delaney to book. Got fcuk all backing for it from some.

I am told he is still working for one of their investments....just not as intensively as he was prior to his wife starting off on her career. He is also still pushing football stats with other lads from Peak6.

LOI fans were calling him out but Paul Brown and Andy Connolly really started the ball rolling when they threatened him with court for withholding the European money.

Andy and Paul only started to call him out when they knew they had Peak6 lined up. Peak6 insisted on all monies being in the club accounts prior to any deal being completed....hence the €100k cheque.

Loi fans might well calling him out but I don’t recall any chairman having a public barney with him or any of the ‘others’ on the FAI.

How could other chairmen call him out...they were either his mate, getting new stadiums built, answerable to his family in the Munster FA or were being kept on the knife edge to keep them in line.

Peak6 were the first to do it as they knew they could out-muscle him when he came with legal treats or delayed payments. Totally different kettle of fish to what the LOI ever knew. Also the reason I think they went public with the Aviva offers and IRFU problems...to show change is not happening fast enough or consequently enough.

I'd agree to a point but the likes of Dundalk will always find excuses not to improve the fan experience. They've had ample Euro money that could've been spent on building a stand behind one of the goal, access issues and that kind of things are bread and butter for decent engineers and architects to figure out.

If you look at pictures of somewhere like the showgrounds at the turn of the century and where it is now, it probably started off at a lower point than Oriel is at now but the will to improve what is a locally owned amenity was there. The improvements in Sligo happened by sacrificing a league title or 2 for long term tangible benefits.

Dundalk have been incredibly lucky this year with the path they got in Europe and the 1 game knockout structure in qualifying. It probably keeps the show on the road there for another season or 2 but overall they're living beyond their means to the point where their chairman put a note at the bottom of last year's accounts saying everything was grand and it doesn't matter the club is hemorrhaging money. That kind of thing has a shelf life and they might well find themselves in a position where Champions League money is a necessity in 2022.

Had it not been for a bit of foresight from the MFA Cork would probably still be playing games in Bishopstown. And if they hadn't gotten a dig out from local councils, Shams and Bohs would be homeless.

Name one full time LOI club turning a profit?? Name one LOI team that invested €500k of their own money in training facilites and turned a profit???
    The problem here is not the clubs...its the FAI/LOI. There is no investment into the sport in Ireland, no prize money, no TV money......it is time for major reform which many clubs are still now willing to agree to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Shels fans were calling him out long before anyone else.

Member owned clubs helped keep him in power so long as they thought he was looking after them. Fans of these clubs never worried about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

kksaints wrote: »
    Wexford are found guilty of playing an ineligible player and forfeit four matches 3-0. I think only one match if the 4 they didn't lose but that was a win against Cabinteely. Could shake up the playoffs picture a bit.

I'm certain that this is the second time in the last few years that this has happened to Wexford. They really need to improve their administrative processes.

Yeh they definitely fielded an ineligible player v Shels about three seasons ago. I remember because the game ended in a draw but we ended up getting the points anyway.

Name one full time LOI club turning a profit?? Name one LOI team that invested €500k of their own money in training facilites and turned a profit???
    The problem here is not the clubs...its the FAI/LOI. There is no investment into the sport in Ireland, no prize money, no TV money......it is time for major reform which many clubs are still now willing to agree to.

Sligo Rovers spent €500,000 of their own money on training facilities without the benefit of group stage money.
    They also spent a quarter of a million a few years before that on a stand.

Very few football clubs in the world are turning a profit.
    My feeling would be LOI clubs should be compelled to divert a % of income into ground improvements. By and large LOI clubs aren't capable of long-term planning so it should be taken out their hands.
    If you look at the money that was spent in Drogheda, Shels and Bohs during their boom years, all 3 could be playing in comfortable grounds. Same goes for Dundalk.

The priority for LOI clubs is chasing "success" or "making the step up". Which generally translates as paying over the odds for English academy drop outs and lads that wouldn't get a kick of a ball at Shrewsbury or Oldham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

I wasn't sure about Waterford at the start of the season. But even with Sheridan departing it has been a decent season for ye. Looks like Cork will need to beat ye to have chance of staying up.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    it be fitting if were the ones to relegate our munster rivals
    It sure would :)

As a Blues fan, I've no wish to see Cork relegated. They may have been insufferable when winning trophies (who isn't?) but they're the nearest thing we have to a local derby and the crowds and atmosphere at the RSC(pre-Covid and hopefully post-Covid) when Cork come was 2nd to none.
    Also if Cork and Harps go down, Drogs and Bray come up, the LOI PD looks more and more like the League of Greater Dublin/the Border region.Draw a line from Sligo to Greater Dublin and there would be no club south of it in the top division across a whole swath of the country except Waterford. Not healthy.
    Having said all that, I hope we murder them on Saturday at the X but they still stay up!!! I'd prefer to see back-stabbing St. Rats relegated or at least denied our Euro spot again.

Sligo Rovers spent €500,000 of their own money on training facilities without the benefit of group stage money.
    They also spent a quarter of a million a few years before that on a stand.

Very few football clubs in the world are turning a profit.
    My feeling would be LOI clubs should be compelled to divert a % of income into ground improvements. By and large LOI clubs aren't capable of long-term planning so it should be taken out their hands.
    If you look at the money that was spent in Drogheda, Shels and Bohs during their boom years, all 3 could be playing in comfortable grounds. Same goes for Dundalk.

The priority for LOI clubs is chasing "success" or "making the step up". Which generally translates as paying over the odds for English academy drop outs and lads that wouldn't get a kick of a ball at Shrewsbury or Oldham.

Sligo have done great work on their ground, probably one of the only clubs infact, however in my eyes that was tainted with there Covid games.....Laying players off, pulling in money on gofundme and then signing players for the restart. Doesnt seem right to me....bit of someone trying to be a clever bollox and sticking 2 fingers up to the rest. Also makes one ask....what else have the fiddled over the years??

As Dundalk have American owners who have been in place 2 years....we will all have to accept they are looking for an economic way of realising a new ground. Until the business side of things is earning enough to cover the costs of a new ground or better said its financing, very little will be done at Oriel. They are business people, not a charity.

The bigger problem here is the FAI and their lack of developement and LOI marketing over many many years. Now it is up to clubs to try to make money as they see fit....Dundalk choose to invest money into their squad in an attempt to earn money outside Ireland as there is nothing in Ireland. LOI needs major investment....at all levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Sligo need to demolish that stand and build a proper one. very poor viewing experience from it, it needs to be way higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

overshoot wrote: »
    Not really... Corks last fixtures are Waterford (h), Sligo (a) and Derry(h).
    Harps play shams(h) bohs (a), pats(h),Waterford (h)

Maybe/hopefully shams will have a hangover, bohs nothing to play for by then too but you'd still expect them to turn up. The remaining teams for both sides are all in the euro hunt but also no great shakes. There's points to be had for both and only 2 between them. Still very much looking over the shoulder... And sad fenn is gone...

Well i got that badly wrong. Thanks for clarifying

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Yes we have seen this boom to bust cycle so many times with LOI clubs and my fear is this will eventually happen to Dundalk if they fail to put the right infrastructure in place now,

In regards to facilities, if clubs such as Cork city, Sligo and Longford can make stadium improvements then there's no reason why something can't be done with oriel Park, I also think that clubs need to utilise their grounds more effectively, it irks me to see unused empty spaces at the side of stands or behind goals where you could have advertising or corporate facilities, some are even sitting on land that could be used for commercial purposes aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

dfx- wrote: »
    It's no slight on Tallaght. Rovers would be doing everything they can to paly such games at home in Tallaght working with SDCC while Dundalk are taking some inexplicable approach to a game they need to fulfil in 8 days time by criticising places/institutions and not being allowed play where they want which is unsurprisingly not possible afterall. A total waste of energy.

And it's perfectly acceptable to criticise Oriel at any opportunity regardless.

The obligation to bring a ground to standard largely falls to the team hosting the game, not the owner of the stadium.

So Dundalk are, understandably, loathe to spend the approx 50k needed to improve Tallaght from the last time that matches at this stage were hosted.

For the 2016 group stages, DFC contributed to upgrades to the media area and replacement full length dugouts in Tallaght. This time, the addition of goal line technology is one of the main items required.

So let no one tell you that Dundalk have not and will not contribute to ground improvements. The evidence is there for all to see in Dublin 24.

In regards to facilities, if clubs such as Cork city, Sligo and Longford can make stadium improvements then there's no reason why something can't be done with oriel Park, I also think that clubs need to utilise their grounds more effectively, it irks me to see unused empty spaces at the side of stands or behind goals where you could have advertising or corporate facilities, some are even sitting on land that could be used for commercial purposes aswell

Don’t Cork City rent their stadium.?

Yes it is owned by the Munster FA

• Advertisement

The obligation to bring a ground to standard largely falls to the team hosting the game, not the owner of the stadium.

So Dundalk are, understandably, loathe to spend the approx 50k needed to improve Tallaght from the last time that matches at this stage were hosted.

For the 2016 group stages, DFC contributed to upgrades to the media area and replacement full length dugouts in Tallaght. This time, the addition of goal line technology is one of the main items required.

So let no one tell you that Dundalk have not and will not contribute to ground improvements. The evidence is there for all to see in Dublin 24.

Yeah, but it's all a bit embarrassing to say the least. Dundalk are gonna make large sums of money from the group stages, their own ground isn't up to scratch, they're whinging about everyone else and it's all over a measly 50 grand (measly in the context of what UEFA are gonna give them).

Dundalk are turning what is a massive win into a PR own goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

kksaints wrote: »

It's the THIRD time in 4 seasons they have played ineligible players with the opposition awarded 3-0 victories

Versus Shels in a 1-1 draw in September 2017 in 2nd last game of the season and versus Athlone in 1-0 win in June 2018. Thanks to Wexford Shels gained 4th spot instead of 6th over Longford & Cabinteely in the 2017 season and Athlone gained their only 'win' in the entire 2018 season

These gobsh!tes will inevitably cost some club promotion in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Perhaps a better proposal would be to impose wage caps based on an agreed percentage of the previous year's turnover.

This might stop some of the messing with clubs going to the wall, and potentially free up a limited amount of remaining funds for capital investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Indeed but any improvements have all been done by City, with just 'permission' from MFA. They haven't been bothered about doing it themselves for many years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If they want to play in Tallaght at short notice, that's the way it is. Eight days from the game is not the time to be doing that.

They could've built a plan over the last four years for this eventuality or worked with potential grounds to spread the cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

As a Blues fan, I've no wish to see Cork relegated. They may have been insufferable when winning trophies (who isn't?) but they're the nearest thing we have to a local derby and the crowds and atmosphere at the RSC(pre-Covid and hopefully post-Covid) when Cork come was 2nd to none.
    Also if Cork and Harps go down, Drogs and Bray come up, the LOI PD looks more and more like the League of Greater Dublin/the Border region.Draw a line from Sligo to Greater Dublin and there would be no club south of it in the top division across a whole swath of the country except Waterford. Not healthy.
    Having said all that, I hope we murder them on Saturday at the X but they still stay up!!! I'd prefer to see back-stabbing St. Rats relegated or at least denied our Euro spot again.

Great post. Hearing how Dalk of the eye sore hovel supposedly brought down Delaney and the FAI for the ten thousand time is about as interesting as the Late Late show at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

It wasn't your Euro spot to begin with. The UEFA rules were fairly clear that clubs had to be in existence for at least 3 years to meet UEFA licensing regulations. Ye tried to get John Delaney to pull a stroke for ye and it failed. We only got what was rightfully ours by UEFA rules and if that needed the FAI to be reminded of it and the European Club Association to give us advice then so be it. I don't remember Derry been so bitter about it in 2012 when Bohs got Europa League because Derry weren't 3 years in existence at the time.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/waterford-lose-place-in-europa-league-after-being-denied-licence-1.3865217

All the last 24 hours for nothing. UEFA have said no to using Windsor as they say we have grounds available in the Republic.

Tallaght it is for the 3 games I assume.

Big one tonight, Massive week coming up before that
    Cork tonight
    Bohs Home Fri
    Derry Mon

Id say we will go all out for 6 points V Cork and Bohs and play anyone not due to play Molde Thurs V Derry.

if we dont pick up at least 4 pts between Cork and Bohs, we will have to go strong V Derry

After seeing the news tonight, I’m not sure Dundalk will travel to Derry on Monday. Or will even want to three days before a European match. Any other views on it?

After seeing the news tonight, I’m not sure Dundalk will travel to Derry on Monday. Or will even want to three days before a European match. Any other views on it?

Why wouldn't they?

Will they be failing to travel to EL away games and foregoing all that filthy lucre too?

• Advertisement

Pats and Galway matches were postponed.If for any reason Dundalk can’t play on Thursday - they forfeit the match 3 - 0.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The GAA have been told they can go ahead and play games in the 6 counties, and the Irish League is starting and going ahead this weekend, so Derry will be allowed play. Cant see why Dundalk wouldnt travel (Hopefully win tomorrow, and we can send up a second string)

Getting back to why I said I think Bill is where he is for a reason,....for the first time Peak6 have publically said it as it is....upgrading Oriel to UEFA Cat 4 makes no sense if it is not supported by public money.

http://jamesrogers.ie/hulsizer-admits-dundalk-will-need-support-if-theyre-to-upgrade-oriel-park/

Getting back to why I said I think Bill is where he is for a reason,....for the first time Peak6 have publically said it as it is....upgrading Oriel to UEFA Cat 4 makes no sense if it is not supported by public money.

http://jamesrogers.ie/hulsizer-admits-dundalk-will-need-support-if-theyre-to-upgrade-oriel-park/

There is no logic to Dundalk having what Tallaght will soon be, and I think it's safe to say that most on here understand that.

But having a modern ground with two stands, say like Athlone Town, but with a capacity of 5,000 may be more realistic. Then if needs be, add in temporary seats.

Of course fans (of all clubs) need to realise that better facilities will mean higher ticket prices.

No one's suggesting Oriel Park needs to be Cat 4. A comfortable 4 or 5000 seater with a few decent facilities would be ideal.
    Buffalo Bill saying he can't justify building a cat 4 stadium is a red herring.

Before this it was the club didn't have security of tenancy to do any work, then they got that, they didn't have the money, now they've grossed the highest income in 5 years of any LOI club in history, they can't justify building a cat 4.
    Its all just bullsh1t really and nothing else.

There is no logic to Dundalk having what Tallaght will soon be, and I think it's safe to say that most on here understand that.

But having a modern ground with two stands, say like Athlone Town, but with a capacity of 5,000 may be more realistic. Then if needs be, add in temporary seats.

Of course fans (of all clubs) need to realise that better facilities will mean higher ticket prices.

You have hit the nail on the head. If Peak6 ever build a ground to replace what currently is Oriel it will have to pay for itsself and be profitable.

Then we come to 2 new stands alá Athlone....time for Louth County Council, FAI and government to step in and help finance it.

As for ticket price increases.....sure arent Peak6 billionares and a charity...they will be expected to cut prices and be happy that people come to games. Remember a **** storm a few years back where they tried to raise/raised prices if I am not mistaken.

If local people or away fans are not crying about Oriels structure, it is the pitch, if it is not the pitch it is Boveril at half time or the wind blowing from the north. Some people will never understand that Dundalk FC as a business is running on its knees as are the majority of LOI clubs. Peak6 have said from day one that their aim is to make the club self suffient....if that will ever happen no one knows, but they are giving it a go.

• Advertisement

No one's suggesting Oriel Park needs to be Cat 4. A comfortable 4 or 5000 seater with a few decent facilities would be ideal.
    Buffalo Bill saying he can't justify building a cat 4 stadium is a red herring.

Before this it was the club didn't have security of tenancy to do any work, then they got that, they didn't have the money, now they've grossed the highest income in 5 years of any LOI club in history, they can't justify building a cat 4.
    Its all just bullsh1t really and nothing else.

Name any club in the LOI who can go to a bank and get over €5million in loands to do such work???? The LOI is built on a basket case business model....prize money is not existant and attendances are too low to make money to repay loans. Rovers would still have no stadium to call home only for SDCC Derry also....Bohs are playing in a ruin.....Cork playing in a ground owned by Munster FA.....

Before you come with Sligo.....dont forget they didnt pay one player during Covid and managed to have money to sign players just after......what deals were done to get their ground build that are not spoken about???

Before you come with Sligo.....dont forget they didnt pay one player during Covid and managed to have money to sign players just after......what deals were done to get their ground build that are not spoken about???

Open to correction on this, but no deals just damn hard work with the local community for decades.

Open to correction on this, but no deals just damn hard work with the local community for decades.

The community is one part of it that should never be forgotten however you have to ask the questions....they never received a penny from Sligo council??? Always paid developement rates etc. to the council, never got grants or FAI support or grants?? These are the parts that are normally forgotten.....today more so than ever.

If there is such a community spirit and money available....why didnt they pay players themselve during Covid instead of allowing the tax payer to do it for them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The community is one part of it that should never be forgotten however you have to ask the questions....they never received a penny from Sligo council??? Always paid developement rates etc. to the council, never got grants or FAI support or grants?? These are the parts that are normally forgotten.....today more so than ever.

If there is such a community spirit and money available....why didnt they pay players themselve during Covid instead of allowing the tax payer to do it for them??

My brother and sister were out of work for awhile, why didn't their employers pay them during Covid instead of allowing the tax payer to do it for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the railway end was built with money from VW ireland and local business

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/sport/soccer/new-stand-to-get-official-opening-28844735.html

you cant get sports capital grants to build stands

https://ladiesgaelic.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Sports-Capital-fund-application-information.pdf

https://danielwhelanengineering.ie/the-daniel-whelan-engineering-guide-to-sports-capital-grants-applications-for-2018/

get over it that we used the wage subsidy scheme along with other clubs and half the country to get by.. we all dont have millionaire owners who can afford to shell out tens of thousands a week when theres no income..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement