Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Absolute scumbag thing to do on a teammate:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54565938

Psychopath. And not even ashamed of doing it, so he says.
    "I'm not ashamed of it, either, because in my head it was me or him and I was choosing me."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

kksaints wrote: »
    Wexford vs Drogheda off. Covid case in Wexford squad.

I don’t get it . Forfeit the match if you can’t field a team. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Brewitt is going viral now over this; Steven Gerrard's cousin, Anthony Gerrard, is calling him out

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Absolute scumbag thing to do on a teammate:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54565938
    He's obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed to admit it but it does go in the game, be it against your own teammates or opponents and people in the game will observe that

Any footballer who isn't good enough that he has to resort to injuring his own teammates will always have someone more talented them in front of them anyway they will always be failure like this scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Shams are going to end up winning a league title in a season where only 14 games were played. Amazing.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    Shams are going to end up winning a league title in a season where only 14 games were played. Amazing.

Half the teams are on 15 games.

If Bohs play tonight that puts them on 16 games.

The league will likely finish, the cup will be sacrificed if needs be though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

kksaints wrote: »
    Wexford vs Drogheda off. Covid case in Wexford squad.

Did anyone check to see if he was even eligible to play :)

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Half the teams are on 15 games.

If Bohs play tonight that puts them on 16 games.

The league will likely finish, the cup will be sacrificed if needs be though.

Is the cup being cancelled just a guess or part of their plan should it be necessary?

Is the cup being cancelled just a guess or part of their plan should it be necessary?

Educated guess that priority will be to get the league finished as much as is possible. That can provide all the European places if needs be and ensures promotion/relegation gets sorted.

There's only 7 games over 3 rounds left in the cup. If needs be it could finished within a week.

Educated guess that priority will be to get the league finished as much as is possible. That can provide all the European places if needs be and ensures promotion/relegation gets sorted.

There's only 7 games over 3 rounds left in the cup. If needs be it could finished within a week.

A lot can happen in the next 2 weeks. If cases continue to rise and level 5 is implemented then that's it. Shams don't have another game until Nov 1st currently, so they could end up as champions with 14 games played.

• Advertisement

A lot can happen in the next 2 weeks. If cases continue to rise and level 5 is implemented then that's it. Shams don't have another game until Nov 1st currently, so they could end up as champions with 14 games played.

Depends.

The Gah Cup is starting up soon. If the LoI is cancelled so is that.

We've seen, how should I put it, a lot of flexibility with the different levels.

A league champion declared with 14 games is far from perfect, but that's the way life is now sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

If they finish up the league and declare Shams champs, is there any provision for points per matches played to determine other placings down to fourth for Euro spots? Such a calculation would see The Right Honourable St Patricks Athletic F.C. Esquire (I'm trying to avoid a 2nd yellow and an early bath) jump above Waterford into 4th. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A league champion declared with 14 games is far from perfect, but that's the way life is now sadly.

I’m a Bohs man. I have to say if Rovers have gone this far undefeated and we drop any points against Dundalk (making it mathematically impossible to catch them) then it would be completely unfair if they aren’t crowned winners.

Would be funny though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

If we start next season and have to stop after a couple of games do we crown a new champion?

A champion declared after 14 games isn't just far from perfect it's farcical

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I think under the last level 5 recommendations the league was still able to go ahead so hopefully it's the same

doncarlos wrote: »
    If we start next season and have to stop after a couple of games do we crown a new champion?

I have no idea.
    doncarlos wrote: »
    A champion declared after 14 games isn't just far from perfect it's farcical

Not really. Only one side can catch them and that's highly unlikely so it's not really farcical.

What has been farcical has been the poor effort from the most expensive side in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If they finish up the league and declare Shams champs, is there any provision for points per matches played to determine other placings down to fourth for Euro spots? Such a calculation would see The Right Honourable St Patricks Athletic F.C. Esquire (I'm trying to avoid a 2nd yellow and an early bath) jump above Waterford into 4th. :(

Which lets be honest , would be fcuking hilarious.

For us, not you.

Tom McNulty to get winner for Dundalk tonight? :pac::pac::pac:

Tom was great, but I don’t think he’s Peter Pan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Dear lord the commentator :eek:

• Advertisement

Dear lord the commentator :eek:

Agreed. She’s dire. Not very impartial either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Bohs have 2 Wards up front. Keith Ward and Andre Ward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Graham Gartland has also made his LOI comeback for Dundalk tonight

His mammy will be pleased.

Typical loi referee, booked for nothing.

Never played the ball. No card

joeysoap wrote: »
    Tom was great, but I don’t think he’s Peter Pan

Just a joke with Bohs being delayed on the way up.

Who is at fault ? That road is busy, especially on a Friday and there’s no county restrictions on Norhern Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Dundalk very blunt again upfront. Pat Dolan in the Star today was suggesting Ireland should call up Hoban, No idea what games he's been watching :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Dundalk very blunt again upfront.

We were missing our 3 best cbs as well. 4th choice and a left back filling in tonight.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Came across this

Eamonn Duggan
    @Eamonn120
    Replying to
    @McDonnellDan
    A Bohs bus issue ( also at Oriel ) gifted City the title back in 93

I heard of slow learners but 27 years ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

The FAI have stopped the underage leagues for the weekend.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/1016/1172087-fai-postpones-weekend-underage-action/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I ****ing bet ya Cork will beat Waterford tomorrow

Ending our European hopes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Just a joke with Bohs being delayed on the way up.

Was Turlough O Connor driving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Was Turlough O Connor driving?

No, it was his brother Gridlough.

I think under the last level 5 recommendations the league was still able to go ahead so hopefully it's the same

Don’t think so. League sorta stopped after 4/5 matches and was cut to 18 matches and afaik no players tested positive at that time either, unlike now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Don’t think so. League sorta stopped after 4/5 matches and was cut to 18 matches and afaik no players tested positive at that time either, unlike now.

Level 3 & 4 - No matches or events (except elite sports)
    Level 5 - No Matches or events

So the league must cease under level 5 restrictions.

image.png

It's been make up as you go along since the first day that nonsense came in.

Ireland playing Bulgaria next month in Lansdowne. Highly unlikely that will be stopped by the government.

There'll be all sorts of exemptions from that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Dublin has been on level 3 for longer than the rest of the country and pubs haven't been allowed open since March, unlike the rest of the country which they should be being in level 3.

Its makey uppy as they go along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

You are referring to the original lockdown, he is not. No such thing as "Level 5" back then.

The Level 5 recommendations that he is referring to, which the government did not implement, may have contained (I think I saw it somewhere) an exemption for "elite" sport despite the nice chart that somebody went to the bother of making.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Its makey uppy as they go along.

It's a once in a century event to be fair.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Spot the difference

Molde- 4/10 Brann
    17/10 Bodo
    22/10 Dundalk

Dundalk 4/10 Finn Harps
    13/10 Cork City
    16/10 Bohs
    19/10 Derry City
    22/10 Molde

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/dundalk-chief-hulsizer-reveals-owners-increasing-frustration-over-bureaucracy-39630643.html

Spot the difference

Molde- 4/10 Brann
    17/10 Bodo
    22/10 Dundalk

Dundalk 4/10 Finn Harps
    13/10 Cork City
    16/10 Bohs
    19/10 Derry City
    22/10 Molde

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/dundalk-chief-hulsizer-reveals-owners-increasing-frustration-over-bureaucracy-39630643.html

Dundalk have more fixtures?

Is there a point to all this?

Footballers can't play twice a week?

Footballers can't play twice a week?

Twice a week would be great

Three matches in a week is pushing it ( 16th 19th 22nd)

Twice a week would be great

Three matches in a week is pushing it ( 16th 19th 22nd)

Not the first club to play three games in seven days and won't be the last.

Shouldn't be a problem to a club who's budget dwarves the rest of the clubs in the league.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

How much money do you get for these matches again?

529608.jpg

This year Dundalk have played 14 league matches, 2 FAI Cup, 1 CL qualifier, 3 EL qualifiers.

20 competitive games.

This is week 42 of 2020.

Whinging about a fixture pile up while their team has been floundering against opposing players who also have to hold down jobs.

:o:o:o:o

They need Mike Tracey back to really put it the FAI.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Dundalk v Bohs was a very even game, but very hectic. Imposible for either team to control the ball. Bohs' right winger seemed useful, strangely Dundalk looked the more likely team as the game went on and Bohs dropped back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement