Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hold on Harps, decent result for Waterford if it says like this

What will happen if Derry have to end there season due to covid ??. Full points awarded to Rovers and Cork City (means **** all to both of them anyway)

Edit- 2-2 now **** ya Harps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Well according to the new rules brought in by the FAI, Derry have to forfeit their match v Rovers, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

This is a very enjoyable game, as frustrating as it has been to watch Harps blow the lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

What a dive by Creatro with assistance of the ref to secure 3 points for Harps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Ohmeha wrote: »
    What a dive by Creatro with assistance of the ref to secure 3 points for Harps

Very soft penalty but we didn't create enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It was soft. Raf fell over awful easily, but the defender does put his hand across his body trying to stop Raf after he knocked the ball past him. Stupid of Feely to do that.

Oat23 wrote: »
    It was soft. Raf fell over awful easily, but the defender does put his hand across his body trying to stop Raf after he knocked the ball past him. Stupid of Feely to do that.

https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status/1321568533197762560

Cretaro clearly dives the arm is out as you say but I don't think there's enough contact to bring him down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As soft as they come, took it well though.

kksaints wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status/1321568533197762560

Cretaro clearly dives the arm is out as you say but I don't think there's enough contact to bring him down.

There's definitely not enough contact to send him tumbling to the ground but it's one of those where the defender gave him an excuse to do it which is what I meant by stupid.

If he doesn't use his arm I'm sure Raf either doesn't go down, or if he does it's a free out and a yellow. The arm was enough for the ref to give it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Football isn't a non contact sport though even in the penalty box, after a dozen views of it I didn't see anything Feely did to impede the diving little sh.it

Cretaro has been a well known 'chancer' falling around in the LOI for so many years now it's staggering that Harvey could have fallen for that

• Advertisement

There's definitely not enough contact to send him tumbling to the ground but it's one of those where the defender gave him an excuse to do it which is what I meant by stupid.

If he doesn't use his arm I'm sure Raf either doesn't go down, or if he does it's a free out and a yellow. The arm was enough for the ref to give it.

The problem I have with that is the lack of consistency, a lot of the time the arm is out and the ref will not give a penalty. Even the way he should fall is inconsistent with the contact been with the arm across.

I'll just say that we were poor tonight and Harps created more clear cut chances than us but that isn't a penalty imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

tonight's result a bit of a mixed bag for Waterford

Positives are St Pats dropping points and next up for them is Dundalk on Sunday. Bit of a 50/50 game for us. St Pats loss will eliminate them from getting 4th and a Dundalk loss could mean we have a chance of 3rd place. Best result a draw :P.

Negative is that Finn Harps have something to play for against us on the last day and Finn Park is a tough tough place to go

crazy crazy league

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Football isn't a non contact sport though even in the penalty box, after a dozen views of it I didn't see anything Feely did to impede the diving little sh.it

Cretaro has been a well known 'chancer' falling around in the LOI for so many years now it's staggering that Harvey could have fallen for that

Raf has always went down easy and I've seen him dive multiple times. That wasn't a dive in my book. A dive to me is when there is no contact and a player is straight up cheating.

And you're right. Football is a contact sport, but you need to watch it a few more times if a dozen isn't enough to see why the ref gave it. The ball was knocked past Feely by Raf's first touch. He then puts his arm across him quite high up near the neck (but tbf Raf is basically a dwarf) impeding him from running into it and he makes no attempt to play the ball himself. If it happens in midfield it's a freekick as well. Football being a contact sport doesn't mean you can use your arms the way he did in that situation.

A really soft penalty and I'd be annoyed with both the ref and my player if given against Rovers, but I can see why the ref gave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

FORAS have officially voted. No results for a few hours.

Raf has always went down easy and I've seen him dive multiple times. That wasn't a dive in my book. A dive to me is when there is no contact and a player is straight up cheating.

And you're right. Football is a contact sport, but you need to watch it a few more times if a dozen isn't enough to see why the ref gave it. The ball was knocked past Feely by Raf's first touch. He then puts his arm across him quite high up near the neck (but tbf Raf is basically a dwarf) impeding him from running into it and he makes no attempt to play the ball himself. If it happens in midfield it's a freekick as well. Football being a contact sport doesn't mean you can use your arms the way he did in that situation.

A really soft penalty and I'd be annoyed with both the ref and my player if given against Rovers, but I can see why the ref gave it.

We'll never agree on it so let's not go back and forth :D

My opinion is if a defender impedes a forward while also making no attempt to play the ball he's asking for a penalty to be given. Raf took advantage of the opportunity when it presented itself and went down.

Well done to Ollie and Harps. If the Sligo Rovers players had shown the same heart & desire in the past few games as they have we'd be dangerous....

We'll never agree on it so let's not go back and forth :D

My opinion is if a defender impedes a forward while also making no attempt to play the ball he's asking for a penalty to be given. Raf took advantage of the opportunity when it presented itself and went down.

Well done to Ollie and Harps. If the Sligo Rovers players had shown the same heart & desire in the past few games as they have we'd be dangerous....

You might have quoted the wrong post there. My problem with the penalty is that apart from the fact that he throws himself to the ground in a way in which is not natural for the contact is that the refs frequently ignore contact like that and the inconsistency of the decision making gets very frustrating.

It’s Harvey.

Not one bit surprised by it all.

You might have quoted the wrong post there. My problem with the penalty is that apart from the fact that he throws himself to the ground in a way in which is not natural for the contact is that the refs frequently ignore contact like that and the inconsistency of the decision making gets very frustrating.

Sadly that's modern football now. All over the world you'll see players falling over and shouting when they feel any contact as they know going to the ground will get them the freekick/penalty or whatever. It puts the ref in a position where he has to make a decision.

The one that drives me crazy is when a defender is shielding the ball near his goal and an attacker tries to win it from behind. The defender almost always falls over, again, putting the ref in a position where he has to make a decision. That tends to be seen as 'smart' rather than a dive/cheating though even if there's no contact involved. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Really hope Finn Harps stay up to keep some regional balance in the league.

There were lads here recently laughing at Johnny Ward for mentioning Shelbourne and relegation in the same sentence...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Me for one. Didn’t realise Harps had 4 matches left at that point. :o

All Harps matches are now at home. Still go any way.

In an ‘ normal’ year premier team in playoff spot would ‘ take it easy’ and save themselves for the playoff. Not this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

What a weird, surreal night at the vote. Not gonna say much but I would be very surprised if a Yes vote doesn't pass.

Even though the season has been awful, on and off the pitch, tonight felt sadder than anything that's happened during that. Lot of questions to be answered but that'll be another day. Local reporter getting kicked out for sending updates to Preston media set the tone tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So that's that then. A new beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Corholio wrote: »
    What a weird, surreal night at the vote. Not gonna say much but I would be very surprised if a Yes vote doesn't pass.

Even though the season has been awful, on and off the pitch, tonight felt sadder than anything that's happened during that. Lot of questions to be answered but that'll be another day. Local reporter getting kicked out for sending updates to Preston media set the tone tbh.

That was gas! You hear in deckys tone the anger but also the surprise at the member putting his own name too the article on the site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's the right move..Cant get worse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No surprise, to be expected really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Corholio wrote: »

I felt it was inevitable that it was going to be a Yes vote after the events on Sunday/Monday.

It's quite a sad moment though, in truth, I do think we made the right decision.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Cork selling their soul again. They'll never learn.

Look at what you managed to accomplish over the past decade under fan ownership. You learned some valuable lessons in recent times after it all came crashing down, but what you achieved prior to that showed you don't need anyone to be successful.

There's no reason you could not have rebuilt the club yourselves, recognising the mistakes made and ensuring they don't happen again. Instead you've taken the easy way out and will now let some guy play god with the club. Disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No Cork City fan in their right mind is expecting the club to get lot of golden cash and have some massive dream come to nothing.

The fan model came at a time when City were lucky to have got good European money and yet where did club go in the end.

It was either sell or go bust again. No matter what the view from the outside is the club really had no choice. Trust me any other club would do same in LOI especially if Covid hangs about for another season.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

End of an era with the fan model in Cork City. Still the fans should be proud with all they achieved over the recent years. They saved teh club from extinction and brought trophies and success to the city. Sad day alright but brighter times will come.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Ten years of work all for nought, Cork sell their soul and their club. Welcome to the league Cork North End. A sad day for football and for Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

bocaman wrote: »
    End of an era with the fan model in Cork City. Still the fans should be proud with all they achieved over the recent years. They saved teh club from extinction and brought trophies and success to the city. Sad day alright but brighter times will come.

Honestly, have no idea why they should be proud, and that’s not having a dig for the laughs of it.

They’ve done roughly the same job as everyone who has looked after a Cork team in my time following the league. Spent money, chased trophies. Won a few, overspent in the process, and had to pass on ownership to avoid demise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

bocaman wrote: »

The also brought the club to the point of extinction again

Ten years of work all for nought, Cork sell their soul and their club. Welcome to the league Cork North End. A sad day for football and for Cork.
    What an utterly ridiculous statement.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Honestly, have no idea why they should be proud, and that’s not having a dig for the laughs of it.

They’ve done roughly the same job as everyone who has looked after a Cork team in my time following the league. Spent money, chased trophies. Won a few, overspent in the process, and had to pass on ownership to avoid demise.
    If you were a FORAS member (like I am), you'd know very well why we voted yes. You shouldn't really comment on something you've no idea about.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

What an utterly ridiculous statement.

I'd rather see my club as an amateur team in the LSL owned by the community, than winning the league with some millionaire owner.

I don't want to be just another customer.

The problem I have with that is the lack of consistency, ......

I agree, couple of weeks ago in Oriel, McEleney (Harps) literally threw a Dundalk player off the ball.... stonewall ....even the Rte commentator - to use his words, “it beggars believe how that wasn’t a penalty- though it was stonewall. Harvey- a pen every day, McLoughlin- no pen.

The inconsistent is staggering.

I'd rather see my club as an amateur team in the LSL owned by the community, than winning the league with some millionaire owner.

Says supporter of Aston Villa, owned by billionaires Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Do you think that supporters will be happy to reach into their pockets and start contributing a bit more towards the costs that are otherwise currently met by said millionaire owners?

A membership model and regular fundraisers would probably do the trick.

• Advertisement

What a ridiculous way of thinking.
    And he’s a billionaire, by the way.

I’m not sure where this narrative of “its some random billionaire” came from.
    Trevor Hemmings owns numerous stud farms in Cork and is also the owner of Trabolgan. He spent a lot of time as a young person in Cork.
    It’s not some random investment firm.

Cork selling their soul again.

What soul? :)

If you were a FORAS member (like I am), you'd know very well why we voted yes. You shouldn't really comment on something you've no idea about.

I didn’t suggest you shouldn’t vote yes, you should vote in your own interests.

I literally just said that the idea that the outgoing owners of Cork (the fans) have not got much more reason to be proud of the job they’ve done there, than the many other owners of clubs (and we are many) who have overspent in the quest for success and have had to hand over for someone else to try save the day from the ashes.

Back patting yourself when you’ve done a bad job makes so little sense.

It's a shame limerick can't tap into JP. I thinkLimerick GAA have that covered though.

Apples and oranges. Well, apples and apples and apples........ And maybe then oranges

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-arsenals-100-million-wage-bill-revealed-20191201

CSF wrote: »
    I didn’t suggest you shouldn’t vote yes, you should vote in your own interests.

I literally just said that the idea that the outgoing owners of Cork (the fans) have not got much more reason to be proud of the job they’ve done there, than the many other owners of clubs (and we are many) who have overspent in the quest for success and have had to hand over for someone else to try save the day from the ashes.

Back patting yourself when you’ve done a bad job makes so little sense.
    The ordinary FORAS member has very little to do with what's after happening. There's between 5 and 10 ex-BOM members who should be locked up, but are under legal protections, so we (nor the media) can't comment.

The ordinary FORAS member has very little to do with what's after happening. There's between 5 and 10 ex-BOM members who should be locked up, but are under legal protections, so we (nor the media) can't comment.

I did not suggest anyone here or in particular was personally responsible. I’m not here to rub anyone’s nose in relegation or laugh at the situation you’re currently in.

I just laughed at the idea that those involved should be proud of what they achieved, as someone had stated. Because that’s nonsensical self back-patting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I’m not sure where this narrative of “its some random billionaire” came from.
    Trevor Hemmings owns numerous stud farms in Cork and is also the owner of Trabolgan. He spent a lot of time as a young person in Cork.
    It’s not some random investment firm.

Lennox was a Cork chip shop owner left them in a mountain of debt.
    Arkaga was founded by an Irishman.
    Coughlan was a Cork man.

"What is lacking is certainty, both in terms of the future and the exact method by which the League of Ireland title contenders have arrived at this situation."
    That was written 12 years ago in the Independent. Could have been written yesterday.

Says supporter of Aston Villa, owned by billionaires Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens...

I don't feel anywhere near the same connection to Villa as I do to Bohs.
    What a ridiculous way of thinking.
    And he’s a billionaire, by the way.

If you'd didn't get it the first time your club went bust you never will.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement