Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Should all Irish fans cheer for Dundalk ? Do all of England cheer for united or Liverpool in Europe ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Should all Irish fans cheer for Dundalk ? Do all of England cheer for united or Liverpool in Europe ?

They used to, back in the the early days they'd always get behind the British club in Europe.

Most non-LOI fans tend to be shocked when I say I'm not supporting any Irish team in Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Should all Irish fans cheer for Dundalk ?
    Yes
    Do all of England cheer for united or Liverpool in Europe ?
    No

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Lennox was a Cork chip shop owner left them in a mountain of debt.
    Arkaga was founded by an Irishman.
    Coughlan was a Cork man.

"What is lacking is certainty, both in terms of the future and the exact method by which the League of Ireland title contenders have arrived at this situation."
    That was written 12 years ago in the Independent. Could have been written yesterday.
    And Trevor Hemmings runs a championship football club. But compare him to Lennox, if it floats your boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

And Trevor Hemmings runs a championship football club. But compare him to Lennox, if it floats your boat.

Honestly I don't think you're doing yourself any favours with that line of reasoning. I don't agree with a lot of opposition fans connecting the failures in clubs here as a 'Cork' thing, as they were all very separate and different from each other, but I also don't agree with bigging up Hemmings in anyway yet. The failure to produce any clear plans or roadmap of any kind prior to the vote was disappointing. I don't believe anyone who voted a strong 'Yes' last night could be in any way very confident about what lies ahead, it just all seems to be based on 'he owns an English club so I guess that's good?'

Even though we were very poor this season, that can be changed in time, being under a cloud of uncertainty that could lead to god knows what is worse. Both votes could lead to uncertainty, but I will say that knowing who is/was on the board now, I trust their huge reservations about the future of the club in current state if 'No' had passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Does anyone care what Roddy says?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

joeysoap wrote: »
    It's a shame limerick can't tap into JP. I thinkLimerick GAA have that covered though.

Apples and oranges. Well, apples and apples and apples........ And maybe then oranges

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-arsenals-100-million-wage-bill-revealed-20191201

They could, if they planned it right. Like Pat and JP are brothers in law, but JP is a businessman and wants to see a return on his money. But JP is a charitable man, and hands out scholarships every year. This is where Limerick should have been knocking on his door looking for sponsorship to set up a sports scholarship.

This could then help you attract players for possibly four years through education, and after being in Limerick for four years there's the possibility that they'll remain in the area. But Pat probably thought people would just give him money to spend on whatever he wanted and others within the club didn't care as much if there was nothing to gain financially for them.

If Treaty United look to enter a men's team next year then they should definitely look to hit up UL and go about planning a scholarship and seeing if JP is feeling charitable. Even try to get UL to let you use their facilities in return for them possibly getting better players for their college soccer team. And it's not like UL are the only third level institution based in Limerick, so they can approach UL, LIT or even Mary I.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yes

Why? So Dundalk get more money to sign our best players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Wasn't comparing Lennox and Hemmings in their business dealings more so the fact Lennox had a very strong Cork connection. As have most of the Cork owners.

Also, Trevor Hemmings is in his 70s very unlikely he'll fancy taking a hands on approach with a LOI club.
    His son would seem to be the man to watch.
    That's of course making the big assumption that he has any interesting in football at all.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Honestly I don't think you're doing yourself any favours with that line of reasoning. I don't agree with a lot of opposition fans connecting the failures in clubs here as a 'Cork' thing, as they were all very separate and different from each other, but I also don't agree with bigging up Hemmings in anyway yet. The failure to produce any clear plans or roadmap of any kind prior to the vote was disappointing. I don't believe anyone who voted a strong 'Yes' last night could be in any way very confident about what lies ahead, it just all seems to be based on 'he owns an English club so I guess that's good?'

Even though we were very poor this season, that can be changed in time, being under a cloud of uncertainty that could lead to god knows what is worse. Both votes could lead to uncertainty, but I will say that knowing who is/was on the board now, I trust their huge reservations about the future of the club in current state if 'No' had passed.
    If you were at the meeting you would have heard the plans.

Trevor Hemmings is in his 70s very unlikely he'll fancy taking a hands on approach with a LOI club.
    That's of course making the big assumption that he has any interesting in football at all.
    Craig Hemmings in the chairman of PNE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Craig Hemmings in the chairman of PNE.

He's chairman of the board of their hotel company as well.
    He's clearly being given more input in the empire to take over from old Hemmings.
    He may well enjoy football or he might just like money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think if Dundalk do well, it looks good for our league. It makes the league more attractive to people who may be kinda thinking of going to watch their league of Ireland team. If they do badly, for instance if they lose by double figures, it will make the league look less attractive for potential new fans and the why do you watch that cràp brigade. If Dundalk aren't signing your best players, someone else will, there will always be someone on top, it was Dundalk yesterday, it is Shamrock Rovers today, it'll be someone else tomorrow.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭baldshin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They're more likely to bring in youth players from a USA soccer school or resigning McMillan/Hoban/Boyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The night Dundalk played AZ Alkmar, more we’re watching Man U that night than we’re watching the Dundalk match. When asked why they wouldn’t support their local team the usual ‘ I wouldn’t watch that ***** ‘ answer was what I got. And that was in Dundalk.

Unless we improve the image the LOI will continue to struggle. Nothing to do with Covid either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The night Dundalk played AZ Alkmar, more we’re watching Man U that night than we’re watching the Dundalk match. When asked why they wouldn’t support their local team the usual ‘ I wouldn’t watch that ***** ‘ answer was what I got. And that was in Dundalk.

Unless we improve the image the LOI will continue to struggle. Nothing to do with Covid either.

Best fans in the world.:rolleyes:

Half the Irish people who say they support man united or liverpool would struggle to name some of the players, its weird.

Highly unlikely Dundalk will get more money. It might be a lot for LOI standards, but it’s peanuts overall. Ozils wages for a month would run a full LOI team for a year. And he’s not in their Europa panel. ( £350,000 a week fwiw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Highly unlikely Dundalk will get more money. It might be a lot for LOI standards, but it’s peanuts overall. Ozils wages for a month would run a full LOI team for a year. And he’s not in their Europa panel. ( £350,000 a week fwiw)

But the conversation is in reference to LOI standards so overall isn’t hugely relevant to why people wouldn’t want to see them do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Also, Trevor Hemmings is in his 70s very unlikely he'll fancy taking a hands on approach with a LOI club.

He's 85! Also supposed to have sold over 50 horses last year taking a step back from that end of things. You imagine cork will be a run out for Preston's youth, he might have links but still a business man.

Big one on Wexford... I really would fancy Galway in the playoffs although ucd's front 2 are going well which is useful for a one off game.

On harps pats, I'd have been raging if the penalty was given against us, although first thought was yes. Raff knows how to buy these things. Should have scored just before it, post in injury time so will take it. Pats had a lot of ball, crosses but don't remember McGinley making too many saves.
    Unbeaten in 6, 1 loss in 9... Maybe we will get the win to jump one of the 3 above us... Or in harps style, now we have hope we will go and lose the playoff.... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

baldshin wrote: »

Delighted. It was Cabo pushing hard for the points deduction. Karma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

They could, if they planned it right. Like Pat and JP are brothers in law, but JP is a businessman and wants to see a return on his money. But JP is a charitable man, and hands out scholarships every year. This is where Limerick should have been knocking on his door looking for sponsorship to set up a sports scholarship.

This could then help you attract players for possibly four years through education, and after being in Limerick for four years there's the possibility that they'll remain in the area. But Pat probably thought people would just give him money to spend on whatever he wanted and others within the club didn't care as much if there was nothing to gain financially for them.

If Treaty United look to enter a men's team next year then they should definitely look to hit up UL and go about planning a scholarship and seeing if JP is feeling charitable. Even try to get UL to let you use their facilities in return for them possibly getting better players for their college soccer team. And it's not like UL are the only third level institution based in Limerick, so they can approach UL, LIT or even Mary I.

It's amazing that they haven't tapped into this previously, I know a lot of clubs do have links with colleges now which is a good thing but it's really something you'd think should be implemented at a wider scale. If you have the option of getting a scholarship to a university like Limerick and playing league of Ireland football it would be hard to turn that down even if you had an offer from England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If you were at the meeting you would have heard the plans.

I was there, I heard the 'plans' and yet had to digest it and vote for it in rapid time. Information should have been made available prior to such a decision. It's bonkers it wasn't and even then I heard nothing that would make me go home and say 'Well that's a relief'.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Does anyone care what Roddy says?

Roddy does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Best fans in the world.:rolleyes:

Half the Irish people who say they support man united or liverpool would struggle to name some of the players, its weird.

Really? You've done a survey i suppose ya? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

pgj2015 wrote: »

That's not true. Come on :D

C’mon the town

Keep it respectable

Doesn’t help that its the 8th match in 29 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Some Dundalk official on the sauce in London today?

Corholio wrote: »
    I was there, I heard the 'plans' and yet had to digest it and vote for it in rapid time. Information should have been made available prior to such a decision. It's bonkers it wasn't and even then I heard nothing that would make me go home and say 'Well that's a relief'.

Are you on about the presentation, proposal and letter of intent with money in the account, the one where they intend cork city to be self sufficient by 2026? The one where they want a guaranteed percentage of the starting 11 to be from youths to keep with the community, the one where they want to invest heavy in the academy and want to progress the glanmire project, the one where they want to buy turners cross or have a long term arrangement with the MFA?
    What were you looking for in this road map?

I think if Dundalk do well, it looks good for our league. It makes the league more attractive to people who may be kinda thinking of going to watch their league of Ireland team. If they do badly, for instance if they lose by double figures, it will make the league look less attractive for potential new fans and the why do you watch that cràp brigade. If Dundalk aren't signing your best players, someone else will, there will always be someone on top, it was Dundalk yesterday, it is Shamrock Rovers today, it'll be someone else tomorrow.

The why do you watch that crap brigade will always be there no matter how well clubs do in Europe. I find it patronising when non-fans comment on LOI clubs doing well in Europe kind of "well done you, isn't that nice" kind of thing.

Having a two team league where they have vast resources that dwarf the rest of the league and drive wages up and have talent rotting on the bench due to the huge squads is not the way to go, certainly not so someone might go to a match.

• Advertisement

Ah Rogers that’s poor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Ah christ sake Rogers

Gary Rogers and a howler in Europe. Name a more iconic duo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Now that would drive you around the bend as a manager . You defend backs to the wall all the half and your keeper flaps at a lobbed cross then

Concentration levels went there for second goal, could end up been a long second half

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

40 good mins, 5 poor ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

https://twitter.com/LiamBurke_99/status/1321787772919812096?s=09

It will never happen because it’s fan owned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Oat23 wrote: »
    Gary Rogers and a howler in Europe. Name a more iconic duo.

Hoban scoring in Europe :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

Arsenal looked off pace that entire half, one poorly defended corner got them into it. Dundalk just need to settle again 2nd half, try manage the ball a bit better when they get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rodgers is such a awful keeper.

Amazed Dundalk never got rid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Disappointing ways to concede the goals. Rogers should be doing much better for the first and it was an awful backpass from Dummigan for the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

As a Drogheda supporter, I'm disappointed at the result in the Emirates so far

I'd hoped Arsenal might be 5 or 6 ahead by now.

Still, there is another 45 minutes to go so hope prevails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You can see the massive difference in quality between LOI and the bigger leagues

A mid tier English League 1 club would prob walk the LOI premier division title

Rogers totally at fault.

Could get very messy second half, combination of Dundalk 8 games in such a short time and Arsenal players trying to impress.

Fingers crossed Arteta doesn’t think Saka , Auba or Lacazette need a run

• Advertisement

Rodgers is such a awful keeper.

Amazed Dundalk never got rid

Gartland as well is always good for a mistake in Europe.

Been said on here for years that neither really have any place in a team with the ambitions Dundalk have. They're grand for the LOI but when it comes to European matches both have been responsible for so many goals conceded it's unreal.

tastyt wrote: »
    Could get very messy second half, combination of Dundalk 8 games in such a short time and Arsenal players trying to impress.

Fingers crossed Arteta doesn’t think Saka , Auba or Lacazette need a run

I think we will make a few changes at half time, Pats game this weekend now takes priority and few of the players probably wont last much longer in second half like Murray

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Take it out!

Cracking goal

Tough job for Hoban but he has lost every single ball he has got, hasn’t held anything up , offered nothing

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement