Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They've done well to hold it at 3 nil but the last 20 are going to be a very long 20 odd minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Thankfully only 3-nil, need to get the win against Pats Sunday to secure Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I know that the only stat that counts is Arsenal 3 - 0 Dundalk but how about the free kick count ( I know Gartland got away with one)

21 to Dundalk 0 to Arsenal ( flash score) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

3-0 loss. Not too bad, far better teams than Dundalk have come out with worse results from the Emirates.

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Thankfully only 3-nil, need to get the win against Pats Sunday to secure Europe

Pats and Waterford only real danger. Sligo have to win 6-0 to pass Dundalk out.

Assuming. Derry forfeit matches

I can smell a court case inthat one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

PGE1970 wrote: »
    As a Drogheda supporter, I'm disappointed at the result in the Emirates so far

I'd hoped Arsenal might be 5 or 6 ahead by now.

Still, there is another 45 minutes to go so hope prevails.

How is all in the first division?

Oat23 wrote: »
    Gartland as well is always good for a mistake in Europe.

Been said on here for years that neither really have any place in a team with the ambitions Dundalk have. They're grand for the LOI but when it comes to European matches both have been responsible for so many goals conceded it's unreal.

Gartland had a great game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Are you on about the presentation, proposal and letter of intent with money in the account, the one where they intend cork city to be self sufficient by 2026? The one where they want a guaranteed percentage of the starting 11 to be from youths to keep with the community, the one where they want to invest heavy in the academy and want to progress the glanmire project, the one where they want to buy turners cross or have a long term arrangement with the MFA?
    What were you looking for in this road map?

So, self sufficient by a certain year....check, wants to play local lads.....check, academy investing.....check, purchase/do up the stadium......check. It reads like any takeover promise of almost any club of the last 10-20 years. An actual 'road' in the roadmap would be handy. My point was we had almost zero or very little to know what proposal we were voting for last night, some people who had to vote in other ways knew even less.

I'm not necessarily against the takeover, not at all, but I'd be just shocked if anyone felt fully satisfied or even near on what the future brings, both soon and far.

Rodgers is such a awful keeper.

Amazed Dundalk never got rid

I think Kenny would have by now.
    PGE1970 wrote: »
    As a Drogheda supporter, I'm disappointed at the result in the Emirates so far

I'd hoped Arsenal might be 5 or 6 ahead by now.

Still, there is another 45 minutes to go so hope prevails.

good to have youse back. Speaking of which - how about we took Odumosu back and left Rogers out to grass ( you still have another ex Dundalk keeper)

On the Cork City takeover.

I can see why Hemings wants city to be self sufficient.

I genuinely hope it goes well. There’s no reason to think it won’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

joeysoap wrote: »

I can see why the birds in the sky want the government deficit reduced in the coming years.

That's two meaningless sentences there now, one from each of us.

In reality, there are plenty of reasons to think it won't go well: common sense, countless lessons from the past, an apparent lack of clarity mentioned right above your posts, etc..

Unfortunately, it's impossible to have an honest conversation about ownership models at football clubs because some supporters feel the need to tell themselves and others that whatever is happening at their club must be correct and must be endorsed.

For a completely random example, some Dundalk fans would be inclined to say something positive about the takeover at Cork, to make themselves feel better about Peak6, while the more intelligent supporters would care less about saving face and more about the future of their club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Hoban scoring in Europe :pac:

Hoban has scored in Europe twice

Next attempt of a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Next attempt of a joke?

attempts at humour aside

he's a long way off what you need up front in Europe tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    attempts at humour aside

He was a long way off League 2 standard. Looked absolutely out of his depth any time I saw him.
    He's big and strong, grand against part-timers but he has the turning speed of the 46A and a half decent professional defence will mop that up all day.
    His stats outside the LOI are pretty poor, 2 goals in Europe and a handful in lower league England for a lad that's scored over 100 LOI goals.

Corholio wrote: »
    So, self sufficient by a certain year....check, wants to play local lads.....check, academy investing.....check, purchase/do up the stadium......check. It reads like any takeover promise of almost any club of the last 10-20 years. An actual 'road' in the roadmap would be handy. My point was we had almost zero or very little to know what proposal we were voting for last night, some people who had to vote in other ways knew even less.

I'm not necessarily against the takeover, not at all, but I'd be just shocked if anyone felt fully satisfied or even near on what the future brings, both soon and far.

Totally understand where you are coming from.

Regarding this to previous takeovers, Arkaga was a disaster, Tom Coughlan was a bluffer and was found out very fast by the fans, Brian Lennox was passionate and had the club at heart but just didnt have the financial muscle to keep it going.

With this takeover, we have a billionaire so putting 1.1 mill in a bank account is peanuts for him. He is obviously a successful business man, is running Preston well. He obviously sees the potential of getting to Europe as an easier route for an Irish club as opposed to Preston, the millions Dundalk alone will earn this year for qualifying for the Europa is huge.
    The man has various business interests in Cork, i would not be surprised if Cork City FC will be intertwined with the likes of Trabolgan so Hemmings will make money off both by having workshops, use of facilities for players, bringing in loan players and housing them in Trabolgan etc..

I also think getting up and coming players from the Preston academy will happen to get Cork out of Division 1. Also if you think about it, if Preston loaned half decent squad players from their squad to help Cork get back into Europe it would be a cunning business plan.

Get Cork to the point where Dundalk or Rovers are now by assisting through Preston, bringing coaches from Preston to have learning workshops with Corks coaches, then when Cork starts getting European money, then that money can be re-invested into the youth academy.

Then when that system is self sufficient, i would not be surprised if Preston are still stuck in the Championship, that a more streamlined Cork City getting Europa League may attract decent Preston players on loan, while the 'hopefully' rising stars through the Cork academy will start to move to Preston to get them to the Premier League.

If Hemmings, which i think he is, wants to get the future Munster stars into Cork he could end up with future David Meylers, John Egans, Daryl Murphys, Alan Browns, Conor Hourihans, Kevin Longs etc all coming through a Cork youth system.

I am a lot more optimistic about this deal than previous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Any educated guesses into what Rovers might have offered Byrne to try and get him to sign a new contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Then when that system is self sufficient, i would not be surprised if Preston are still stuck in the Championship, that a more streamlined Cork City getting Europa League may attract decent Preston players on loan, while the 'hopefully' rising stars through the Cork academy will start to move to Preston to get them to the Premier League.

As it stands, the only way a LoI club can get into the EL is by winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Zebra3 wrote: »
    As it stands, the only way a LoI club can get into the EL is by winning the league.

Or if Dundalk win the EL itself this season...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Then they'll be in the champions league and will have to finish third in their group to get back into the Europa.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Or if Dundalk win the EL itself this season...
    dan1895 wrote: »
    Then they'll be in the champions league and will have to finish third in their group to get back into the Europa.

and then they turn off the playstation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Zebra3 wrote: »

What? 2nd and 3rd places as well?!

Beersmith wrote: »
    What? 2nd and 3rd places as well?!

2nd 3rd and cup winners will go into the new Europa Conference when it launches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

dan1895 wrote: »

No, all they have to do is win their first qualifying round in the champions league. If they lose any subsequent round they drop to the Europa League and then if/when they lose they drop to the Conference League.

Eg: Win CL first qualifying round. Lose 2nd Qualifying round they drop into Europa 3rd Qualifying Round, lose that and they drop into the Conference League playoff round. If they win two rounds in the champions league they are guaranteed group stage football in the conference league at worst. The introduction of the conference league has the potential to be a real game changer for LOI teams in terms of playing regular European football. Unfortunately only the league winners will get that benefit through.

No, all they have to do is win their first qualifying round in the champions league. If they lose any subsequent round they drop to the Europa League and then if/when they lose they drop to the Conference League.

Eg: Win CL first qualifying round. Lose 2nd Qualifying round they drop into Europa 3rd Qualifying Round, lose that and they drop into the Conference League playoff round. If they win two rounds in the champions league they are guaranteed group stage football in the conference league at worst. The introduction of the conference league has the potential to be a real game changer for LOI teams in terms of playing regular European football. Unfortunately only the league winners will get that benefit through.

if Dundalk win the Europa league they will go into the group stages for the CL next season not the 1st qualifying round though

thats what the poster was refferring to

attempts at humour aside

He had a thankless job last night, there was no one running off him any time the ball was played to him, he had to play really deep. if he had a chance in and around the box he would have finished it no doubt. he doesnt have any pace but thats not what he is about. I think duffy should of taken on the full backs when he had the ball in the box, he would have cased problems if he ran at them and put the ball across the in front of their keeper.

Overall Dundalk did really well against a premier league team, they didnt just hoof the ball up to no one when they got possession, the future looks bright for Dundalk.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    He had a thankless job last night, there was no one running off him any time the ball was played to him, he had to play really deep. if he had a chance in and around the box he would have finished it no doubt. he doesnt have any pace but thats not what he is about. I think duffy should of taken on the full backs when he had the ball in the box, he would have cased problems if he ran at them and put the ball across the in front of their keeper.

Overall Dundalk did really well against a premier league team, they didnt just hoof the ball up to no one when they got possession, the future looks bright for Dundalk.

Not talking about just last night though, in general hes not the answer in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

if Dundalk win the Europa league they will go into the group stages for the CL next season not the 1st qualifying round though

thats what the poster was refferring to

Oops, that went right over my head!

joeysoap wrote: »
    On the Cork City takeover.

I can see why the birds in the sky want the government deficit reduced in the coming years.

That's two meaningless sentences there now, one from each of us.

In reality, there are plenty of reasons to think it won't go well: common sense, countless lessons from the past, an apparent lack of clarity mentioned right above your posts, etc..

Unfortunately, it's impossible to have an honest conversation about ownership models at football clubs because some supporters feel the need to tell themselves and others that whatever is happening at their club must be correct and must be endorsed.

For a completely random example, some Dundalk fans would be inclined to say something positive about the takeover at Cork, to make themselves feel better about Peak6, while the more intelligent supporters would care less about saving face and more about the future of their club.

I think what Hemmings was sayings was

After 2026
    I. Will. Not. Be. Subsidising. City.

Next attempt of a joke?

Moot point. Hobans ‘ goal’ against Molde looked ok. With VAR it might have stood. Who knows? Hit the post against Celje, if that had gone in....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It's amazing that they haven't tapped into this previously, I know a lot of clubs do have links with colleges now which is a good thing but it's really something you'd think should be implemented at a wider scale. If you have the option of getting a scholarship to a university like Limerick and playing league of Ireland football it would be hard to turn that down even if you had an offer from England.

Limerick did have something with UL or LIT I think at first, but it was more a small grant which only really benefited a local person and think you didn't even need to be involved with Limerick to apply, rather than a scholarship for playing.

It's a massive missed opportunity, when you also consider that the head of sports in UL for ages, Dave Mahedy, was a player/coach with Limerick United when they were successful. Which also ties in with the if you spend a few years for education here you might stick around much longer as Dave Mahedy came down from Dublin in the 70s and never returned.

Definitely agree with your last bit and was something that others mentioned when a few Limerick players moved across or when Barry Coffey signed for Celtic from Nenagh. That the club should be getting onto these players about possibly helping them with an education and gaining more experience at senior level before moving to the UK. But at that stage Pat was all gung ho about reaching Europe, and others were worried that the trough was running low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

The man has various business interests in Cork, i would not be surprised if Cork City FC will be intertwined with the likes of Trabolgan so Hemmings will make money off both by having workshops, use of facilities for players, bringing in loan players and housing them in Trabolgan etc..

I'm not from Cork so I might be way off but is Trabolgan not a good bit away from Cork city? That doesn't seem like a particularly useful link

• Advertisement

srfc d16 wrote: »
    I'm not from Cork so I might be way off but is Trabolgan not a good bit away from Cork city? That doesn't seem like a particularly useful link

its about 50 mins to bishopstown, even closer if the academy gets built in Glanmire. People commute that daily from east cork

First team in Europa League to not commit any fouls.( that the referee saw or gave)

Once in a very blue moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

40 minute drive.

If Hemmings, which i think he is, wants to get the future Munster stars into Cork he could end up with future David Meylers, John Egans, Daryl Murphys, Alan Browns, Conor Hourihans, Kevin Longs etc all coming through a Cork youth system.

Cork City players getting Preston into the Premier League is some stretch of the imagination.

You think being "stuck in the championship" which by the way is one of the top 10 richest league's in Europe could be bettered by Cork getting a few rounds in the EL or even the odd group stage game?

Cork City players getting Preston into the Premier League is some stretch of the imagination.

You think being "stuck in the championship" which by the way is one of the top 10 richest league's in Europe could be bettered by Cork getting a few rounds in the EL or even the odd group stage game?

i am saying the 2 will feed off each other. If Cork have a decent academy and get the John Egans/Conor Hourihans into their system before the english clubs get them, at least those players know if they perform there is an easy path to Preston or there might be training camps set up for them. This in turn will keep the young players at Cork and have a better chance of getting Cork City into EL group stages which will get circa 5mill in prize monies which could be consistently pumped into improving the youth system.

There is 2 other Cork youths that i know of who are looking very promising who if stayed in Cork would be getting a chance in the first team here, Adam O'Rielly and Ethon Varian.

Then its all the players who dont get spotted and end up drifting off.

I think it could be positive for both clubs. City at the moment need some quality to get out of Division 1, Preston can loan some fringe squad players to Cork City next season and that may be enough to get City back to the premier.

Investing in the youth and the match day experience seem to be the focus so i am all for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He was a long way off League 2 standard. Looked absolutely out of his depth any time I saw him.
    He's big and strong, grand against part-timers but he has the turning speed of the 46A and a half decent professional defence will mop that up all day.
    His stats outside the LOI are pretty poor, 2 goals in Europe and a handful in lower league England for a lad that's scored over 100 LOI goals.

Well if he's not good enough for league 2 then he definitely isn't up to LOI standard.

His stats inside the LOI for the last two years are not good either, penalties aside.

https://twitter.com/SSEAirtricityLg/status/1322239578133188610

FAI Cup Semi Final draw. Big guns kept away from each other,

dfx- wrote: »
    Well if he's not good enough for league 2 then he definitely isn't up to LOI standard.

Mhm maybe look at that one again. I think he's been in or around top scorer in the league for the last few years and scored 30 goals in one or two of those seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Looking forward to the cup matches, apart from Rovers it feels like anyone could beat anyone so should make for entertaining games and I think it will be exciting that the matches will be in quick succession. Will they be shown on watchLOI?

• Advertisement

Looking forward to the cup matches, apart from Rovers it feels like anyone could beat anyone so should make for entertaining games and I think it will be exciting that the matches will be in quick succession. Will they be shown on watchLOI?

The Athlone vs Shels match is on tomorrow anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mhm maybe look at that one again. I think he's been in or around top scorer in the league for the last few years and scored 30 goals in one or two of those seasons.

He does take penalties too. He's scored over 20 goals once in five seasons at Dundalk - seven or eight if you include early career at Mervue. It's the exception than the rule. It's very difficult to score 20 league goals in the LOI.

And it's two years since that peak now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

kksaints wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SSEAirtricityLg/status/1322239578133188610

FAI Cup Semi Final draw. Big guns kept away from each other,

some draw for winners of Dundalk vs Bohs

For Waterfords sake i hopes there's no shocks but you never know

Have the FAI decided on Derrys league games yet? Can see them definitely playing in the cup match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Lads does anybody know who Kildare County’s shirt sponsor used to be? Looks like it says Swifts or something on it but can’t find it anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yeah it was Swifts. Had a picture of a swift on it and all. Followed by Cill Dara Betting and Celbridge Football Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Omackeral wrote: »
    Yeah it was Swifts. Had a picture of a swift on it and all. Followed by Cill Dara Betting and Celbridge Football Park.

Nice one, is it a local company do ya know?. Tried finding the logo online but can’t find it anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Totally understand where you are coming from.

Regarding this to previous takeovers, Arkaga was a disaster, Tom Coughlan was a bluffer and was found out very fast by the fans, Brian Lennox was passionate and had the club at heart but just didnt have the financial muscle to keep it going.

With this takeover, we have a billionaire so putting 1.1 mill in a bank account is peanuts for him. He is obviously a successful business man, is running Preston well. He obviously sees the potential of getting to Europe as an easier route for an Irish club as opposed to Preston, the millions Dundalk alone will earn this year for qualifying for the Europa is huge.

I also think getting up and coming players from the Preston academy will happen to get Cork out of Division 1. Also if you think about it, if Preston loaned half decent squad players from their squad to help Cork get back into Europe it would be a cunning business plan.

Get Cork to the point where Dundalk or Rovers are now by assisting through Preston, bringing coaches from Preston to have learning workshops with Corks coaches, then when Cork starts getting European money, then that money can be re-invested into the youth academy.

I am a lot more optimistic about this deal than previous

I wouldn't send a stray cat to Trabolgan. The rest of your "business model" is laughable. How many loan players from second tier English clubs have made any impact in the LOI over the years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Nice one, is it a local company do ya know?. Tried finding the logo online but can’t find it anywhere.

It was Celbridge Football Park until about 2005, then Swifts which was a local pub/nightclub until about 2008 (they changed ownership about 4 years ago) and then Cill Dara Betting sponsored them for the last season or two. I will find the logo for Swifts and link it onto you.

Edit: this is probably the clearest picture I can find.l, forgot it was in the pre-facebook days! Good picture of Philly Gorman and Pádraig Amond celebrating a goal. http://https://amp.rte.ie/amp/215363/

Funny was only reading about that specific match during the week as it was Brian Gartlands first LOI appearance apparently, remember being at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Daryl Murphy didn't come through a Cork underage model. He played for his junior club Southend in Waterford before joining Waterford United.

Waterford should continue to pick up the best players in the region provided they keep things steady.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement