Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Rapids ground looks impressive ( at beginning of clip)

https://youtu.be/g99gVNkt_4E

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

dfx- wrote: »
    it's completely different. New MLS clubs are new major clubs, new stadia to be built, players brought in and conferences to be worked out. They're not taking already existing clubs on. They're not taking on NASL clubs like Pittsburgh or Jacksonville.

There isn't a need for 2-3 years advance notice to join the FD. What would you do with the time?

They don't need 2-3 years but they do need more than a week. My point was that the associations in those countries are organised and forward thinking instead of asking for expressions of interest a couple of months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Kilkenny has enough interest in soccer to sustain a team. I believe the main reason for the demise of Kilkenny City is that Buckley Park is just too far out of the city. It is difficult for kids to get out. I used to have to ask me parents to drop me out, generally it was OK with them and I'd always get a lift back in with someone but I'm sure there were plenty of other kids without a car in the house. In saying that, the path out to Buckley Park is much better these days. I don't see League of Ireland soccer being revived here anytime soon though as the team would need to be moderately successful to attract those fans.

If the major issue with sustaining a club was poor attendances in an inconveniently located ground, you're stuck with that problem unless you find a ball of money to develop a new ground somewhere else.

I think it would be better for the league and for the game in Ireland to see the country's third largest city have a team rather than having three teams in one of the smallest regions of the country. This would also help to promote the game in surrounding counties like Kerry, Clare, parts of Tipp etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Any hope of a Monaghan or Kilkenny team coming back? There must be at least a small bit of support still around those areas. I think the vacancy in the first division has to be a Limerick team. There is enough competition in the city with rugby and GAA and Limerick might end up being lost permanently as a venue for top level football.

Whatever about Monaghan, not a hope Kilkenny and Buckley Park will ever come back to LoI. The few times in Buckley Park I'd say there was 50 home fans... mainly kids probably from their underage teams, etc...

One thing that always stuck with me on my first trip down there, my mates dad was driving, we were in Kilkenny City and unsure where the ground was. Asked a group of lads where Buckley Park was.... not one of them knew what Buckley Park was and we were only down the road in the end. Same trip... my mates dad got an actual mug of tea and asked to bring it back by FT :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Whatever about Monaghan, not a hope Kilkenny and Buckley Park will ever come back to LoI. The few times in Buckley Park I'd say there was 50 home fans... mainly kids probably from their underage teams, etc...

One thing that always stuck with me on my first trip down there, my mates dad was driving, we were in Kilkenny City and unsure where the ground was. Asked a group of lads where Buckley Park was.... not one of them knew what Buckley Park was and we were only down the road in the end. Same trip... my mates dad got an actual mug of tea and asked to bring it back by FT :pac:

They could probably get to anfield or old trafford in their sleep though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

pgj2015 wrote: »
    They could probably get to anfield or old trafford in their sleep though.

doubt it,

more likely only know the way to thier seat in the pub to watch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Looks like Shams v Derry will be played.

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1324043447913877504

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If they’re playing it after all the other teams have played, that’s ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

CSF wrote: »
    If they’re playing it after all the other teams have played, that’s ridiculous.

Rte saying derry rovers Saturday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Rovers will play Saturday and Monday.

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Rte saying derry rovers Saturday

Final day now moved to Monday.

Pretty s*it for Harps who can overtake both of Shams' opponents left (Derry and Shels) but Shams more likely to play weak teams with 2 games in 48 hours now.

Also Dundalk getting an extra days rest hurts Sligo Rovers.

Not much else they can do but moving the final day to a weekday with a few days notice is tough on the players with day jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

That could be huge for Shels with Rovers playing only 2 days previously. Rovers will more likely rest players for our game than the Derry game as Rovers play away to Harps in the cup 5 days later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So the FAI ignoring their own rules.

League is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Ohmeha wrote: »
    That could be huge for Shels with Rovers playing only 2 days previously. Rovers will more likely rest players for our game than the Derry game as Rovers play away to Harps in the cup 5 days later

Won't matter if the same Shels team that played Athlone show up :pac:

Anyone live near church st in Dublin? Something needs removing, I'd even stomach a bohs poster over this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That’s pretty in our interests with Rovers playing 3 games in 6 days. Do I trust us to take advantage? Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

So Rovers have a congested fixture list. Welcome to our world. :)

Our match tomorrow against Rapid is our 10th match since 1/10 (35 days). And one of the sligo lads is moaning we have an ‘extra’ days rest before that match.

joeysoap wrote: »
    So Rovers have a congested fixture list. Welcome to our world. :)

Our match tomorrow against Rapid is our 10th match since 1/10 (35 days). And one of the sligo lads is moaning we have an ‘extra’ days rest before that match.

You're right. An extra 30 hours to rest will make zero difference. :rolleyes:

You've also been rotating your starting XI. A full time squad is more than capable of playing multiple games per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

While complaining about fixtures, it's worth pointing out our cup quarter v shams in penciled in for the same day as the promotion relegation playoff....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bit of extra motivation for you :)

I hope Harps stay up. They have been brilliant in the last 6 or 7 games and even before that were unlucky not to win a couple more (Derry game sticks out as points lost).
    Shels have been up and down all season and seem to have given up the last couple of games. Derry also have been poor and were lucky a couple of times during the year.
    I would fancy Harps against Galway or Longford but would worry about Shels or Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

That was as good a 0-0 as you will see. Both teams played good passing football, good chances for both teams and some excellent saves by both keepers. We're safe now so we need to beat Bohs on Monday and hope Harps do us a favour by defeating Waterford and Dundalk beat Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What a crazy league

From a Waterford point of view, WIN WIN WIN next monday and we could be ok. Finn Harps away is a bloody tough game esp with the pitch/weather conditions. At least we will know 100% what needs to be done after the Derry vs Rovers game

TBH our form has been so up and down and weeks ago we were praying to avoid the relegation playoff but now we have a slight chance of European football. Losing out on the last day will make it even more frustrating

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would fancy Harps against Galway or Longford but would worry about Shels or Derry.

Derry's final game is against us (Cork). They have literally nothing to worry about.

Plus, they don't even need to beat us, just avoid defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Congratulations rover's best team in the league by a country mile.. I'm delighted for my rovers friends enjoy the party

Rovers shels could play out a draw on final day. Rovers stay unbeaten and shels stay up

Rovers shels could play out a draw on final day. Rovers stay unbeaten and shels stay up

Rather not :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Never relegated :cool:

Could get a perfect end to the season for this fcuked up of most fcuked up years ever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If Pats played as well against everyone other than Rovers, they'd be third. No goal for them in six Rovers games now.
    kksaints wrote: »
    That was as good a 0-0 as you will see. Both teams played good passing football, good chances for both teams and some excellent saves by both keepers. We're safe now so we need to beat Bohs on Monday and hope Harps do us a favour by defeating Waterford and Dundalk beat Sligo.

Better quality football than a lot of Championship football tonight..and better defending than United in Istanbul...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I'm a long suffering Shels fan so I would bite your hand off to make it work out for both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lets hope Rovers take it easy on the sauce and are up for the Derry game on Saturday. 6pts is there for the taking for Derry, playing against a B/half pissed Rovers team and then a Cork team who wont give a ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hopefully Tony McCarthy has a few words in the Rovers dressing room!!

"patrck hoban has pace" and "sean gannon isn't known as an attacking right back" what is Brian Kerr on tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Who said he never scores in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

pgj2015 wrote: »
    "patrck hoban has pace" and "sean gannon isn't known as an attacking right back" what is Brian Kerr on tonight?

Hoban scores :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Lets hope Rovers take it easy on the sauce and are up for the Derry game on Saturday. 6pts is there for the taking for Derry, playing against a B/half pissed Rovers team and then a Cork team who wont give a ****

We'll not get it that easy.

I'm sure they will want to retain their unbeaten record for a start.

Good start for Dundalk anyway.

Duffy really should score there.

Dundalk are doing the LOI proud here.

Cracking rapid goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

We're playing ok here but I hope this doesn't go like Molde where Rapid increase tempo in second half

Could have been a penalty for Rapid. Hoare was nowhere near the ball. That challenge on Duffy from the defender was a bit dangerous as well even if it was just an attempted block.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Didn't realise McCarey was 28...i remember him for Monaghan...I'm old:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

15 left, still holding on for a draw, be a very good result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Hoare is stealing a ****ing living

Dundalk imploding, shocker.

Spoke too early!

The mental strength of Dundalk teams of the past is just not there. Complete capitulation.

Penalty Dundalk

Penalty!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement