Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthodontic therapist

Options
  • 18-02-2020 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi, I recently had braces fitted, ceramic top and bottom. I was surprised to find that it was an orthodontic therapist who did most of the work, the orthodontist himself put rings on a couple of teeth but the therapist put on all the brackets and wires etc. She had the orthodontist check something a couple of times throughout the process.

Just wondering if that’s normal? I expected the initial appointment where the braces were fitted to be done by the actual orthodontist himself but maybe that’s not the case. A lady in work who also has braces from a different clinic was surprised to hear this as her orthodontist does all her own work.

Anyone else have the same experience? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

It is by no means uncommon.
    The Orthodontist prescribes the treatment plan and supervises the subsequent adjustments. Therapist works under his/her supervision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

This is really common, I remember back in the 1980's I had mine mostly done by a therapist and the orthodontist would look in, re position a bracket if needed. Braces are a slow process and plenty of time to make changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Thanks guys, that’s very reassuring. I’m new to it all so wasn’t sure.

Advertisement