Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG gets approval to use student accommodation for tourists

• 18-02-2020 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭

https://galwaydaily.com/news/nuig-gets-approval-to-use-student-accommodation-for-tourists/

This one strikes me pretty odd. We're still at a point when before the academic year starts there's a scramble for students to try and find accomodation but the University wants to and has been approved to rent out a block of apartments to tourists?

This is while there is tax incentives for people to rent rooms in their homes to students.

This doesn't line up with the need and caring for the students. It stinks of a money grab to me.

Comments

Wompa1 wrote: »
    https://galwaydaily.com/news/nuig-gets-approval-to-use-student-accommodation-for-tourists/

This one strikes me pretty odd. We're still at a point when before the academic year starts there's a scramble for students to try and find accomodation but the University wants to and has been approved to rent out a block of apartments to tourists?

This is while there is tax incentives for people to rent rooms in their homes to students.

This doesn't line up with the need and caring for the students. It stinks of a money grab to me.

I don’t see how letting over the summer impacts on students getting into the accommodation. They would book in advance to get in, being empty in the summer would not change that.

Would appear to be a very poor use the developments if they weren’t brining in extra money for the university, it was very likely part of costing the project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,055 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The type of student who stays in the halls usually goes home over the holidays (and most weekends too).

Most universities rent out the accommodation to tourists over the summer?
    This is nothing new, & makes a lot of sense. .
    I know people that rented places in Trinity college over the summer.
    Why would they leave them empty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Corrib Village and Cúirt na Coiribe (+ others) have already been doing that for a long time.... makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

The vast majority of purpose built student accommodation is let to tourists during the summer. It's what makes it so profitable and probably why sites like the Westwood are being converted to student accomidation

• Advertisement

I don't mind student accommodation being rented to tourists over the summer but I find it terrible that NUIG was granted planning permission for this without providing tourist accommodation and then turns around once its built and seeks to amend the planning. The city council shouldn't have let them do this when its only just built, it sets a bad precedent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I don't mind student accommodation being rented to tourists over the summer but I find it terrible that NUIG was granted planning permission for this without providing tourist accommodation and then turns around once its built and seeks to amend the planning. The city council shouldn't have let them do this when its only just built, it sets a bad precedent

It does and they scrutinize other small businesses in the city for something as simple as a table and chairs out the front of the shop.

Advertisement