Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual sexism?

• 18-02-2020 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I opened a new bank account a couple of weeks ago, just myself in there doing the bizz. I enquire about adding hubby to the account, so a couple of days later we go in together so he can produce his details and be added.

Yesterday he gets a letter with an online access code on it and there's a number to ring to activate it. So I ring but I'm told they can only deal with him please and thank you.

Now I'm not one to go looking for issues but this annoyed me. Is this usual?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,135 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What has his sex got to do with it? Why would you need an online access code to an account you already have access to? GDPR more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Okaaayyyy. I opened the account, then enquired about adding him. I also enquired about online access so that's why I was surprised.

Our previous joint account always had correspondence addressed to both of us and either of us could deal with them over the phone.

I find online banking very handy paying bills and keeping track of things is all.

I actually didn't think I was making a huge deal of it, was only curious but thanks for the replies anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Even though its a joint account, the online logins are separate.

Your online login gives you access to any other accounts you might have with the same bank, so it is private to you.
    The bank were right not to give you information about his login.

They wont give him information about your online login either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The trolls are really out this evening. The lady opens a bank account and asks to have online access. She also adds her husband to the account. He gets the letter with the access code, not herself, who opened the account and she queries it - and the trolls, which are now so common on Boards, jump in and attack. Really sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Is this supposed to be a forum to ask genuine questions? The quality of responses are extremely poor.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I’ve just deleted several posts that fall well below the standard required in this forum.

Anyone posting here needs to read and abide by the Charter, if they want to continue to access the forum.

Thank you guys, I had to check I wasn't in after hours or a kids group or something!

It just seems a bit weird to me. I haven't received a separate access code myself so it's just him. Funny enough, he hasn't a clue what to do with it, not a bit tech savvy.

Maybe their computers default to the Mr or something.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Taiga wrote: »
    Thank you guys, I had to check I wasn't in after hours or a kids group or something!

It just seems a bit weird to me. I haven't received a separate access code myself so it's just him. Funny enough, he hasn't a clue what to do with it, not a bit tech savvy.

Of course not! It is actually very simple - financial information is very sensitive and the bank will only deal with the person the letter was addressed to, if they gave out your financial details to some random telephone caller just because he told them he was your husband, would you be happy?

If you still have not received any access details for the account, then it is probably a good idea to check up on it, in case it has gotten into the wrong hands. Hopefully it is just an admin error - some box not ticked or some form not competed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,424 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Given that a raft of posts were deleted that were in direct response to the thread title, maybe the mods could see fit to change the thread title to "still awaiting access codes for new account"..

Otherwise it's a very misleading thread title in a personal finance forum.

Well I would have thought anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I’d say what happened here is that your log in details were never sent out, probably a mistake by whoever opened the account and when you asked while setting up your husband’s details his were requested but because you didn’t specifically ask about yours nothing was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭anewme

lawred2 wrote: »
    Given that a raft of posts were deleted that were in direct response to the thread title, maybe the mods could see fit to change the thread title to "still awaiting access codes for new account"..

Otherwise it's a very misleading thread title in a personal finance forum.

Well I would have thought anyway

The barrage of responses that were deleted were abusive.

You can't dish out abuse, irrespective of if you don't like the thread title.

The question being asked was there a reason that the info. was posted to the husband, not the wife and genuine posters have answered the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I opened a joint account with my husband in AIB. I already have a current account in AIB. The joint account details was just added to my already active on-line account. My husband got online activation codes through the post. This allows him to see the joint account, but not my current account. His access codes are private to him, as he may open a private bank account in the future and therefore his access details should be private to him. That's why the customer service agent was only allowed to deal with your husband.

It may the case that, when opening the account, the bank teller didn't ask you whether you wanted online access (though I'd imagine that's a pretty central question to ask nowadays) and therefore they haven't sent you out any activation codes yet. Or maybe it was just an oversight. Probably a *little* paranoid to think that it was casual sexism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Taig, there may be one account, but you have 2 separate and unique online profiles. Your husband can only ever deal with his, and you can only ever deal with yours.

Your online profile will have access to every account you have with the bank, that is:
    • the joint accounts you have with your husband;
    • joint accounts you may have with anybody else; and
    • single accounts that are unique to you.

Your question to the bank is "where is my code for online access"? It has nothing to do with your husband. If it was a "single" account, you would have the same issue they never issued you with your code (or it got lost in the post etc).

I'm afraid casual sexism has nothing to do with it, and using the term will only rile up some of the "less helpful" replies.

Ok guys, thank you. It just felt off to me, hence the title though I had no intention of riling up the giddy or touchy amongst us. Thankfully it looks like I'm wrong so. I'll give it another few days and then I'll enquire about my own code.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,424 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ok guys, thank you. It just felt off to me, hence the title though I had no intention of riling up the giddy or touchy amongst us. Thankfully it looks like I'm wrong so. I'll give it another few days and then I'll enquire about my own code.:)

Why wait? Just ring them now.

I'll give it another few days and then I'll enquire about my own code.:)

You need to become much more security conscious... if your husband's codes have already arrived and yours have not, you need to check this out. If it has gone wrong then it needs to be cancelled immediately because you have no idea where it ended up.

Yes, I was slow off the mark. I rang them this morning and after being on hold for ages finally got to talk to a human. They said they had nothing on their system about sending me a code, just hubby, and if I wanted one they'd send it out.:confused:

Yes, I was slow off the mark. I rang them this morning and after being on hold for ages finally got to talk to a human. They said they had nothing on their system about sending me a code, just hubby, and if I wanted one they'd send it out.:confused:

Mistakes happen, miscommunications happen.... but be very careful about your dealings with financial institutions. If something goes wrong you need to detect it as soon as possible because if your information gets into the wrong hands it can end up costing you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Sounds like they never set you up with online access, and when you came back to add him and online access they just added him and set him up with online access, and assumed you had everything you wanted already set up

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

Do you not already have access to the account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Taiga wrote:
    Now I'm not one to go looking for issues but this annoyed me. Is this usual?

Usually if you aren't named on the account then they cannot speak to you. Myself and my wife are named on all bills in the house as its annoying when they won't speak to you.

You situation seems different. You seem to be named on the account. I can't see how this is sexism. A mistake was made & I'm sure your husband could have been excluded just as easily. It's not the end of the world. Ring with husband beside you and he can confirm that you should be on the account & that will be the end of it

Advertisement