Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury II - February 22nd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Draw
    Panthro wrote: »
    Wilder blaming the outfit he wore walking into the ring, saying it was too heavy!

Clutching at those straws are we, ah yeah!

It weighed 20 kg and the heavy weight champion couldn't carry it,
    he's making a right fool of himself saying its conspiracy that the towel was thrown in ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Wilder did not look fit to continue. He was clearly unsteady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I'm reading another article in which Wilder says that Andre Dirrell influnenced Mark Breland to throw in the towel becasue Dirrell is trained by Sugar hill.

Honestly he was on the verge of serious injury and really the ref should have been stopping the fight himself by the 7th.

Draw
    I'm reading another article in which Wilder says that Andre Dirrell influnenced Mark Breland to throw in the towel becasue Dirrell is trained by Sugar hill.

Honestly he was on the verge of serious injury and really the ref should have been stopping the fight himself by the 7th.

He's making a fool of himself at this stage he got his ass whipped end of ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    walshb wrote: »
    I’d like to see clips of the clean Wilder shots that landed...

How clean were they? How heavy did they look...?

I must look for them..

They were a couple of decent punches from Wilder, but Fury rolled with them. As the old saying goes it's the punches you don't see coming that do the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Draw
    well...thing that fustrates me most about all this is this hateful rematch clause thing that should have no part in world title fights.
    wilder doesnt deserve an immediate shot at a world heavyweight title to the man who just totally dominated him.....a unification fight has to play second fiddle to it or a justified long term contender in waiting...its just simply wrong and a form of corruption in boxing in my eyes.
    its the fans and the sport of boxing that lose out because of it.

Draw
    i seen a post somewhere earlier with frank warren suggesting fury v wilder 3 could be at old trafford

Draw
    actually..here..

Draw
    dougm1970 wrote: »
    well...thing that fustrates me most about all this is this hateful rematch clause thing that should have no part in world title fights.
    wilder doesnt deserve an immediate shot at a world heavyweight title to the man who just totally dominated him.....a unification fight has to play second fiddle to it or a justified long term contender in waiting...its just simply wrong and a form of corruption in boxing in my eyes.
    its the fans and the sport of boxing that lose out because of it.

Normally there fine because a champion whos held the belt as long as Wilder deserves another shot but seen as he clearly lost the first fight in this case its over kill ,

Im guessing Fury gets to pick where ?
    Hope its in England because Wilder was a bag of nerves the other night pacing up and down in the dressing room non stop he would melt with the pressure in Manchester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,598 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Draw
    Please stop this nonsense that Wilder clearly lost the first fight. He did not.

He clearly lost the second fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

i seen a post somewhere earlier with frank warren suggesting fury v wilder 3 could be at old trafford

Probably the only place this fight would sell

• Registered Users Posts: 41 NV011956

Just read Dan Raphael's column and it states that the pre fight agreement stipulates a rematch takes place in the U.S, with the new Raider's stadium in Vegas a possible venue.

Draw
    NV011956 wrote: »
    Just read Dan Raphael's column and it states that the pre fight agreement stipulates a rematch takes place in the U.S, with the new Raider's stadium in Vegas a possible venue.

two threads going on here, so i'm copying what i have on other one

this could be an unprecedented situation that could force a non-title fight between fury v aj....promoted as for the true lineal title....the fight would be just as big...without sanctioning fee percentages and without issues with rematch clauses or manditory defences of belts to be concerned with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

He's making a fool of himself at this stage he got his ass whipped end of ,

I have a bit of sympathy for him. I dont think he is all that eloquent in the language he uses and it cones across like he is sore. But he freely admitted that the best man won on the night.
    His legs did seem to be gone from an abnormally early stage, i think the guy is trying to figure out why that was himself.
    Re his comments about the ref, I think fury gets away with a lot of shinanigans in fights. He sticks his head into his opponents face pretty much every time they come together. VK had cuts two both eyes in their fight and both came from furys head rather than his punches! He is constantly punching on the break and often sends punches behind the ears of his opponents in a kind of clumsy way but it is also too consistent to be that clumsy. His fight with VK in particular was littered with bad behaviour. Tbh I dont get how refs dont seem to be on top of it more.

Draw
    I sure there will be a time limit on when the rematch has to take place, If Wilder has any bad injuries that could scupper the rematch
    He could also make a deal to step aside and let Fury fight AJ if he gets a shot at the winner, Lots could happen yet

Draw
    he could take stepaside money with gaurentee of winner....then sit back and recuperate and watch joshua v fury....and if joshua wins...if he wins...wilder fights joshua in a fight that he might win...and if...if...he did..he has yet another massive payday vs fury then.
    hes in a good position.

worst case he gets money for nothing to wait and gets a guaranteed shot at ALL the heavyweight titles in his next fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    he could take stepaside money with gaurentee of winner....then sit back and recuperate and watch joshua v fury....and if joshua wins...if he wins...wilder fights joshua in a fight that he might win...and if...if...he did..he has yet another massive payday vs fury then.
    hes in a good position.

worst case he gets money for nothing to wait and gets a guaranteed shot at ALL the heavyweight titles in his next fight.

Yeah but because of everything he said pre fight if he doesn't take the rematch he'll be portrayed a coward.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Draw
    Yeah but because of everything he said pre fight if he doesn't take the rematch he'll be portrayed a coward.

That's easy to over come just say you have an injury and won't be ready for the date ,

I think it would make sense for him to fight 2 gimmie fights ,
    I say this because I feel he needs to try change his style slightly if he wants to beat Fury and he isn't good enough to do that in a 8-12 week camp , He would need longer

Draw
    That's easy to over come just say you have an injury and won't be ready for the date ,

I think it would make sense for him to fight 2 gimmie fights ,
    I say this because I feel he needs to try change his style slightly if he wants to beat Fury and he isn't good enough to do that in a 8-12 week camp , He would need longer

The guy is 34 now, a career veteran......

Sure, he could tweak a bit here and there, but his is what he is.....a huge single shot hitter

Get back in, and try land it....that is pretty much his only chance...

Fight 2 was clear and dominant. But, fight 3 is a clean slate.

Wilder is just that type fighter. He either blows you away with the power, or he spends time trying to...

The odds still should be close, due to Wilder always having that power..

He did not land it in fight 2.....the shots he did land, Fury rode a lot of the power away...

Really, would anyone be surprised if Wilder KO'd Fury in fight 3?

I wouldn't. And I wouldn't be surprised if Fury did a similar job in fight 3 as he did in fight 2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ

Sure, he could tweak a bit here and there, but his is what he is.....a huge single shot hitter

Wilder is just that type fighter. He either blows you away with the power, or he spends time trying to...

He did not land it in fight 2.....the shots he did land, Fury rode a lot of the power away...

I wouldn't. And I wouldn't be surprised if Fury did a similar job in fight 3 as he did in fight 2...

WIlder KO could happen, but id argue is less likely, the mental toll of the beating he took added to a first career loss cant be underestimated.

Take Joshua for example, he executed a perfect gameplan to beat ruiz, but looked far more hesitant and reluctant to trade than ever before. be interesting to see how he is next time out.

• Advertisement

Draw

The reason it'll take him longer to change is because he is 34 and in 42 fights has always fought the same way ,

Lets be honest he was a bag of nerves pacing up down for a good 90 minutes before hand in his dressing room , Imagine how bad he will be next time,
    I think mentally he will fall apart if he takes the fight straight away , I reckon he needs to prove to himself that he is still the big bad man before he gets near Fury again ,

It would be totally different if he was a good boxer who got tactics wrong and could change up and come straight back in to the fight but as you said he can only do one thing it didn't work twice,

First time it nearly did but against a mess in Fury , Now a fit Fury just walked him down and smashed him like he said he would ,
    He will need time to recover from that mentally ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    my opinion that a fit and focused fury is the best HW hasnt changed, i think wilder got away with it against lower calibre opposition but when he took a proper step up he was found out.

its likely that a pre ruiz joshua would have done similar.

Draw
    The reason it'll take him longer to change is because he is 34 and in 42 fights has always fought the same way ,

Lets be honest he was a bag of nerves pacing up down for a good 90 minutes before hand in his dressing room , Imagine how bad he will be next time,
    I think mentally he will fall apart if he takes the fight straight away , I reckon he needs to prove to himself that he is still the big bad man before he gets near Fury again ,

It would be totally different if he was a good boxer who got tactics wrong and could change up and come straight back in to the fight but as you said he can only do one thing it didn't work twice,

First time it nearly did but against a mess in Fury , Now a fit Fury just walked him down and smashed him like he said he would ,
    He will need time to recover from that mentally ,

He needs to get the rematch soon, I feel.....bit of a rest, back to training and ready to go 6 months at latest...

Why waste two "gimme" fights, 18-24 months, and then what? Sure, he could be retired, Fury could be retired and so on.

Time to recover mentally? How long should this take? They're grown men. HW boxers, not bleedin snowflakes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FWIW,

Joshua is a slight favourite over Wilder, if they are to fight.
    Fury is a bit favourite over Joshua, and a bigger favourite over Wilder. for the rematch.

All 3 are favoured over Oleksandr Usyk, obviously. But oddly, Wilder is the biggest of the 3.

Draw
    Mellor wrote: »
    FWIW,

Joshua is a slight favourite over Wilder, if they are to fight.
    Fury is a bit favourite over Joshua, and a bigger favourite over Wilder. for the rematch.

All 3 are favoured over Oleksandr Usyk, obviously. But oddly, Wilder is the biggest of the 3.

Spot on odds there...

Only thing I'd say is that Wilder-Fury still has that power vs. chin issue, despite Fury rising after 10-11 seconds in fight 1.....Wilder can hit harder than that...

Wilder-AJ for me is a shootout. If AJ is tidy and careful he will knock Wilder out. If Wilder gets in first, AJ is gone....shootout, with AJ slight favorite.

Fury-AJ....Fury is bookies favorite, and if he can take AJs power, or avoid it, he will stop AJ mid to late rds, providing he commits to stopping him.

If the three of them fought multiple times, I would be quite confident all would win and lose some...

I'd make all three warm to very warm favorites v Usyk.....3-1 on type odds....Usyk at 2-1/3-1

Draw
    He needs to get the rematch soon, I feel.....bit of a rest, back to training and ready to go 6 months at latest...

Why waste two "gimme" fights, 18-24 months, and then what? Sure, he could be retired, Fury could be retired and so on.

Time to recover mentally? How long should this take? They're grown men. HW boxers, not bleedin snowflakes...

Your "snowfalkes" comment is nonsense
    This guys is out there in front of the world for months saying he's going to knock Fury out cold, He has pillow for fists doesn't stand a chance ,and so on ,

He's a biggest badest bully in boxing had it his own way 40 out of 41 times ( the 1 times he didn't he thinks he actually got the ko ) , He honestly doesn't believe for one second Fury can stop him ,

Then he takes an absolute mauling in front of millions any man would need to recover mentally from that ,

Draw
    Your "snowfalkes" comment is nonsense
    This guys is out there in front of the world for months saying he's going to knock Fury out cold, He has pillow for fists doesn't stand a chance ,and so on ,

He's a biggest badest bully in boxing had it his own way 40 out of 41 times ( the 1 times he didn't he thinks he actually got the ko ) , He honestly doesn't believe for one second Fury can stop him ,

Then he takes an absolute mauling in front of millions any man would need to recover mentally from that ,

I asked, how long you want to give him?

You make far too much out of these situations...the human mind and body are very durable, as well, you know...

How long should he take to recover mentally?

And how do you know he will even take it all that bad? Sure, he'll be upset, but why would he need this extended timeout, that you seem to be professing?#

Would 6 months not be achievable for Wilder to be ready for a rematch?

What is he's chomping at the bit and dying to get back in to get revenge? That not possible?

Draw
    I asked, how long you want to give him?

You make far too much out of these situations...the human mind and body are very durable, as well, you know...

How long should he take to recover mentally?

And how do you know he will even take it all that bad? Sure, he'll be upset, but why would he need this extended timeout, that you seem to be professing?#

Would 6 months not be achievable for Wilder to be ready for a rematch?

What is he's chomping at the bit and dying to get back in to get revenge? That not possible?

As I said he probably needs to get a win or two under his belt , He wasn't just beat by a lucky punch or edged out on points he was mauled from the first bell , Where does he take encouragement ?

I think he will take the rematch and unravel before he even gets in the ring , He wanted no press conferences this time as Fury got to them before the first fight, Imagine how he will feel next time out,

Your a big Mike Tyson fan , once he got beat o and his aura was destroyed he never the same again it happens to fighters ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    Don't think Wilder can just step aside and get paid. Option is take the rematch or not. There's no option to stand a side and fight the winner of the next fight.

If he doesn't take the rematch he may never get another shot of the title. Wilder without belts will generally be avoided because of his power.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Draw
    Don't think Wilder can just step aside and get paid. Option is take the rematch or not. There's no option to stand a side and fight the winner of the next fight.

If he doesn't take the rematch he may never get another shot of the title. Wilder without belts will generally be avoided because of his power.

The option can be added all they have to do is agree a new contract ,
    A contract can be broken if both parties are happy to break it and sign off on it ,
    If Wilder was happy to do it then Fury and Aj would be on board

Probably won't happen because im sure whoever loses the Fury v Aj one will want a rematch and then how long does Wilder wait, Then you have Whyte and Pulev also waiting,

I think its quite clear AJ V FURY won't happen this year next summer if ever ,

Advertisement