Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury II - February 22nd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,130 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Draw
    As I said he probably needs to get a win or two under his belt , He wasn't just beat by a lucky punch or edged out on points he was mauled from the first bell , Where does he take encouragement ?

I think he will take the rematch and unravel before he even gets in the ring , He wanted no press conferences this time as Fury got to them before the first fight, Imagine how he will feel next time out,

Your a big Mike Tyson fan , once he got beat o and his aura was destroyed he never the same again it happens to fighters ,

It sounds like you are saying 18-24 months here, judging by two "gimme" fights....sounds ridiculous to me.

Maybe he is really that fragile.....:confused:

I just think you are assuming a bit much here, and wrapping the poor lad up in too much cotton wool...

Mike Tyson analogy is off. Tyson recovered after Tokyo and was back in the ring in a few months, and then again in a few months and then again, and then again. He then went to prison for almost 4 years...Tyson was set to fight Holyfield only for the 1991 rape incident..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Draw
    walshb wrote: »
    It sounds like you are saying 18-24 months here, judging by two "gimme" fights....sounds ridiculous to me.

Maybe he is really that fragile.....:confused:

I just think you are assuming a bit much here, and wrapping the poor lad up in too much cotton wool...

Mike Tyson analogy is off. Tyson recovered after Tokyo and was back in the ring in a few months, and then again in a few months and then again, and then again. He then went to prison for almost 4 years...Tyson was set to fight Holyfield only for the 1991 rape incident..

He fought two fights between the Fury fights that he knew where winnable

Who where Mike's two fights after Buster ,

Henry Tillman and Alex Stewart can't believe he was such a "snowflake " to take 2 gimmie fights after his first loss

Draw
    He fought two fights between the Fury fights that he knew where winnable

Who where Mike's two fights after Buster ,

Henry Tillman and Alex Stewart can't believe he was such a "snowflake " to take 2 gimmie fights after his first loss

Tyson was back in the ring fighting within months.

Buster and Holyfield was a done deal for October 1990; Tyson was out of that picture. Read the details and timelines on Tyson-Holyfield circa 1990-1991...

Anyway, stick to the here and now....

Wilder-Fury 2 didn't go ahead in a short time, not because both wanted loads of time to recover....

I think your are way exaggerating all this nonsense talk of needing long times to recover mentally...

You don't know Wilder. Like I said, he could be chomping at the bit to get his revenge...not alone in a dark room sucking his thumb....as you'd have us believe.

Draw
    Tyson was back in the ring fighting within months.

Buster and Holyfield was a done deal for October 1990; Tyson was out of that picture. Read the details and timelines on Tyson-Holyfield circa 1990-1991...

Anyway, stick to the here and now....

Wilder-Fury 2 didn't go ahead in a short time, not because both wanted loads of time to recover....

I think your are way exaggerating all this nonsense talk of needing long times to recover mentally...

You don't know Wilder. Like I said, he could be chomping at the bit to get his revenge...not alone in a dark room sucking his thumb....as you'd have us believe.

Ye he was back in a gimme fight ,

My personal opinion is if Wilder takes Fury next he gets beat up worse,
    I think he will take it but I think its a bad idea for him ,

Draw
    Ye he was back in a gimme fight ,

My personal opinion is if Wilder takes Fury next he gets beat up worse,
    I think he will take it but I think its a bad idea for him ,

Maybe a tune up July time or so, and then late 2020, early 2021 he should be re-matching....

• Advertisement

Draw
    Maybe a tune up July time or so, and then late 2020, early 2021 he should be re-matching....

In a perfect world but id imagine the contract clause has a time limit on it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Has Tyson Fury’s PED use just been completely whitewashed and forgotten about? Not a single mention of it across any media all week??!!!
    Not so long ago all I was hearing was any boxer caught using PEDs should be banned for life.... I even heard Andy Lee saying it?!!!

Draw
    bono_v wrote: »
    Has Tyson Fury’s PED use just been completely whitewashed and forgotten about? Not a single mention of it across any media all week??!!!
    Not so long ago all I was hearing was any boxer caught using PEDs should be banned for life.... I even heard Andy Lee saying it?!!!

Doesn’t suit the narrative. And some folks want to excuse it and explain it away..Hypocrites!

Can you imagine if it was AJ? This forum wouldn’t let up.

Draw
    The whole thing was wirwd, It was like Ukad knew the Furys could eventually getaway with it so where happy to back date the ban and forget about it, As part of the deal they also let him away with failing to show for a test, Even there statement was unlike them

Tyson and Hughie Fury’s position is that they have never knowingly or deliberately committed any anti-doping rule violation. In recognition of the respective counter-arguments and the risks inherent in the dispute resolution process, each side has accepted a compromise of its position.”

Draw
    PED user...end of..and convicted.

Anyway, it’s a very good point. Conveniently swept under the carpet..

• Advertisement

Draw
    PED user...end of..and convicted.

Anyway, it’s a very good point. Conveniently swept under the carpet..

Do you not thin lthe while thing was very odd?
    I'm not saying he wasn't guilty but iv never seen it dealt like that before whole thing was weired

Draw
    Do you not thin lthe while thing was very odd?
    I'm not saying he wasn't guilty but iv never seen it dealt like that before whole thing was weired

I don’t care for all the legal wrangling. That is not at all surprising.

Simple: There was nandrolone found in their systems. That is indisputable. Illegal levels...

Of course they will try and excuse it and deny it was intentional. Almost all cheats deny and obfuscate...

Nothing to see here...convicted of doping offence. Backdated ban. Doping violations upheld.

Asterisk beside both their names forever..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ

Can you imagine if it was AJ? This forum wouldn’t let up.

Quite easily funnily enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

bono_v wrote: »

Think u gotta just accept its rampant in boxing to the point its almost accepted they all do it,its whos the best after that.

Floyd accused Manny and people seem to think the 40 year plus guy ripped to shreds is whiter than white,but he set some strange clauses over the years and is not without his own PED skeletons in his closet.

Theres just so little regulation in boxing with all the different belts,money trumps PED accusations and in a sport lacking stars they aren't gonna ever lose a big Vegas earner to a PED accusation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    Ardillaun wrote: »
    I wasn’t paying that much attention to Fury, or boxing, in the earlier part of his career but he didn’t seem to get the usual hype that British heavyweights receive. I assumed he was just another large, talentless Brit until I saw him fight Klitschko. His defensive skills are exceptional, innate and peculiar - very difficult to overcome. The recent acquisition of a more aggressive style calls to mind Marvin Hagler’s transformation, but it’s something else again to do that when training to face one of the most destructive punchers ever.

There was hype to a degree, Mick Hennessy was really pushing him to the media and from his debut he was being showing on terrestrial tv !

Fury showed ability for I'm early on, but he also showed glaring flaws. He uppercutted himself in the face against Lee Swaby in his 4th fight
    His performance in that fight was good for a guy with the experience he had, however the clip doing the rounds was him twatting himself.
    It set in people's minds, how can this guy achieve anything in the sport ?

He fought John McDermott for the English Heavyweight title early on. The vast majority of people felt he lost. I remember giving him every round which was close and still only found it a draw, and yet the ref scored it in his favour 98-92.
    How can this guy possibly go far in the game, he's not even good enough to win the English title !!
    The truth was, he had been a pro 9 months, had only turned 21 the month before and was fighting a guy who had just lost two razor close decisions for the British title.
    He was thrown in too deep and was wrote off because of it.

At that point I remember thinking improvements were likely with his age etc and that he'd probably go on to operate at European level, maybe fringe World if things go really well, but definitely not any more. Most felt he'd be lucky to win the British.......in the end we were all proved fools.
    9 months later he fought McDermott again and stopped him, most realised at that point that he was at least British level, but the fight was still extremely tough, and World title ambitions still looked silly.

Skip a year on and he beats Chisora, most likely revised their views on him up to European level.
    In his next two fights he got stunned by Nicolei Firtha and dropped by Nevin Pajkic...... he's not going to make it at World level if those guys are getting him in trouble.

Skip forward a few impressive wins, and most would have seen him as close to World level but not going to trouble Wlad or even the next couple of guys below like Povetkin.
    Steve Cunningham drops him hard with a right hand.....Fury changes tactics and roughs up USS and knocks him out. Imagine what Wlad's right hand will do to him ?

And that's pretty much how everyone viewed him till that night in Germany.

Some of the lack of hype is because he was a brash traveller who said controversial things.
    Some was because he was struggling at the levels he was fighting at, in hindsight a lot of that was because he was being pushed hard very early.
    Fury himself admits he was too fond of a dust up until the Cunningham fight, neglecting his defence to try and bulldoze his opponent.
    He started fighting Southpaw a lot after that fight to avoid Overhand rights, as that had really been the honey punch against him, guys coming over the top of his jab.

His last fight is the first proper fight he's shown a 'seek and destroy' type attitude since Cunningham. Only now he still has the defense elements, rolls of the head, reading shots etc which made him so successful in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    For me it was seeing the second Chisora fight. They had gone to war a few years previous and most had it a 50/50 second time around. But Fury had changed his style and Chisora couldn't get near him all night.

Fury's jab and movement had hugely improved and he was really starting to use his height and reach advantage. Was clear Fury was doing full training camps and preparing properly. Based off that alone I gave him a decent chance against Vlad. It's been a remarkable transformation.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Draw
    Yes, remarkable transformation for Wlad....

Nothing to do with PED use....

Nothing to see here....

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ

Nothing to see here....

i thought you said his performance against wlad was nothing to write homes about, now its remarkable?

as the other poster put it fury was matched hard early and young instead of fighting a load of cans to build up a 20-0 record with 20KOs.

Draw
    Cyrus wrote: »
    i thought you said his performance against wlad was nothing to write homes about, now its remarkable?

as the other poster put it fury was matched hard early and young instead of fighting a load of cans to build up a 20-0 record with 20KOs.

Irony lost on you!

But, he was fit as a fiddle in it. I'll give him that!

Draw

Nothing to see here....

You have always said it was a poor performance for both that night

You really can't accept how good Fury is :D

He has always lifted himself to do enough to win ,

• Advertisement

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    Irony lost on you!

But, he was fit as a fiddle in it. I'll give him that!

where was the irony?

Draw
    You have always said it was a poor performance for both that night

You really can't accept how good Fury is :D

He has always lifted himself to do enough to win ,

It was a horrible spectacle of boxing...

I have been clear on this. Both men...

Hardly alone here...

Back to PEDs....

Just on the Wlad-Fury fight and PEDs...

PEDS won't make you more skillful or fanciful...

Wlad and Fury had a stinker of a fight....

PEDs in sport make you fitter and more conditioned and able to do things that bit longer and better, when tiredness kicks in...

Huge asterisk for me on the Fury win here.....he is a drugs cheat.

Draw
    where was the irony?

Lost on you!

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    Lost on you!

im not sure you comprehend the meaning of the word.

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    It was a horrible spectacle of boxing...

I have been clear on this. Both men...

Hardly alone here...

Back to PEDs....

Just on the Wlad-Fury fight and PEDs...

PEDS won't make you more skillful or fanciful...

Wlad and Fury had a stinker of a fight....

PEDs in sport make you fitter and more conditioned and able to do things that bit longer and better, when tiredness kicks in...

Huge asterisk for me on the Fury win here.....he is a drugs cheat.

the ukranians werent strangers to it either so you can double asterisk the fight :pac:

Draw
    im not sure you comprehend the meaning of the word.

Oh, I do.....

It's not that difficult a word to understand for any half-educated person.

Best definition I heard was from the film, Reality Bites, where Ethan Hawke explains it to Winona Ryder....

Draw
    the ukranians werent strangers to it either so you can double asterisk the fight :pac:

You could, but I wouldn't...

Wlad never tested positive for banned substances.

Fury did.

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    Oh, I do.....

It's not that difficult a word to understand for any half-educated person.

Best definition I heard was from the film, Reality Bites, where Ethan Hawke explains it to Winona Ryder....

thats where one should get all of their definitions.

Winona Ryder movies

:D

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    You could, but I wouldn't...

Wlad never tested positive for banned substances.

Fury did.

well of course you wouldnt. your agenda is there for all to see.

anyway i have my own views on PEDs and im not nearly as naive as you purport to be.

The Klitschkos took PEDs earlier in their careers, at least Witali admitted it but its unlikely he was alone. Given where they are from and their longevity to think they stopped at that point is naive in the extreme.

• Advertisement

Draw
    thats where one should get all of their definitions.

Winona Ryder movies

:D

For irony, defo.....Ethan a real know-all in that movie!

Advertisement