Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury II - February 22nd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭blade1

No interest in a 3rd fight after seen that.
    Wilder out of his depth.

Only fight now is AJ/Fury in what would be the biggest British fight ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

6541 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the Andy Lee connection ? Was that an overweight Andy Lee in the ring celebrating with him ?

Lee is Fury's cousin. He was also involved in training him for the fight.

6541 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the Andy Lee connection ? Was that an overweight Andy Lee in the ring celebrating with him ?
    Lee is Fury's cousin. He was also involved in training him for the fight.

Also, "Sugar Hill, Fury's trainer for the fight is the nephew of Manny Steward,who was Andy Lee's trainer at the Kronk gym

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

blade1 wrote: »
    The saddo's adding to the who will win poll after the fight.
    I know who you are :pac:

Haha. I noticed that as well. Didn't watch the fight but read the reports this morning. Came on here to check if there were any round-by-round descriptions by those watching the fight and noticed that the "Fury by KO" had increased from 16% to 25% since 1am last night :pac:

Actually I think it just increased there from 49 to 50. Good prediction there number 50 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Draw
    Anyone look back at KDs, both looked as much off balance-weight. First one was back of shoulder shot type shot..

Second one was lovely body shot. But not a body shot knockdown, ala hurt and in pain. Wilder looked off balance for that, too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I wouldn't be a big follower of boxing and haven't seen many heavyweight fights recent but I thought the ref was very biased in this fight. He constantly pushed Fury back after a clinch, didn't allow any inside work, he seemed to keep Wilder up at 1 stage by getting in the way and I thought the point deduction was very harsh, Wilder did the same thing a round later and it was allowed to stand.

Ithoug

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Oops, silly phone posted .

I thought Wilder was done early, he was holding onto the rope for balance from an early stage and never seemed to push forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Clareman wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a big follower of boxing and haven't seen many heavyweight fights recent but I thought the ref was very biased in this fight. He constantly pushed Fury back after a clinch, didn't allow any inside work, he seemed to keep Wilder up at 1 stage by getting in the way and I thought the point deduction was very harsh, Wilder did the same thing a round later and it was allowed to stand.

Ithoug

I posted the same thing .. not the refs best days work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone look back at KDs, both looked as much off balance-weight. First one was back of shoulder shot type shot..

Second one was lovely body shot. But not a body shot knockdown, ala hurt and in pain. Wilder looked off balance for that, too.

His legs were gone after the first one. Stiff Jab followed by a clipping right to the ear.
    Not dissimilar to the first KD for Wilder in the first fight.

Fury’s jab was really excellent tonight., powerful not flicking like before.

How have you got Fury vs AJ now?

blade1 wrote: »
    Also, "Sugar Hill, Fury's trainer for the fight is the nephew of Manny Steward,who was Andy Lee's trainer at the Kronk gym

Yeah and I think Lee was the one who suggested Sugar Hill to Fury.

Fury has 2 fights left on his contract now and they'll probably be his last two fights, by his own admission. Will have won all the belts and Ring magazine belt twice. I wonder if Hearn will try stall on a Joshua fight...

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Oops, silly phone posted .

I thought Wilder was done early, he was holding onto the rope for balance from an early stage and never seemed to push forward.
    Did you not see his ear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    Shame we didn't see the Joshua vs Wilder fight when it was red hot. Promoters waiting too long and interest in the fight has waned. Fury is without a doubt the best heavyweight in the division right now

After the shot that had blood coming from Wilder's ear, it'd be no surprise his balance was off. Im surprised he went beyond the 5th with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Shame we didn't see the Joshua vs Wilder fight when it was red hot. Promoters waiting too long and interest in the fight has waned. Fury is without a doubt the best heavyweight in the division right now

Serves them both right to be honest, all the hot air and guff from them was painful.

Joshua should be eating the head off his management for the last couple of years, Fury vs Wilder 1 & 2 is where the real interest and action has been and he's wasted a year of his career getting beaten and having to avenge that loss to a fat mexican that no one had heard of.

Joshua should have fought Wilder when Fury was out of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Any reruns being shown anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

abarkie wrote: »
    Any reruns being shown anywhere?

I watched it on Youtube this morning. American commentary, which was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    GiftofGab wrote: »

Problem is Joshua is afraid of his life to leave the UK and Wilder has never left the US so its hard fight to make. Fury is unbelievable though no problem heading to Germany to beat Klitchko or heading to the US to school Wilder.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    Wilder looked bewildered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Tyson licking wilders blood was insane ! Why should he fight Aj, he’s already been unified champ, and Eddie Hearn his stepdad wants too much money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I thought that was a sensational display from Fury. Freddie Roach was right, Fury was more than capable of taking out Wilder if he became the aggressor. Of course Roach always says that but he was right about this one.

Need to watch it back but I'm still stunned at how effectively Fury worked his way in without putting himself in the path of Wilder's right. He barely gave him a sniff.

It was an annihilation. If Fury was a proper puncher he would have flattened Wilder out in the 4th or 5th. But instead it turned into something even more punishing for Wilder.

Despite being a far better boxer than Wilder I wouldn't give AJ a chance of handling Fury on that form. No way he could live with that pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Problem is Joshua is afraid of his life to leave the UK and Wilder has never left the US so its hard fight to make. Fury is unbelievable though no problem heading to Germany to beat Klitchko or heading to the US to school Wilder.

Wilder fought audley in England or Cardiff didn’t he? He was for fighting povetkin in Russia too and aj just fought back to back in nyc and Saudi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Great performance from Fury.

For whatever reason he doesnt really want to fight Joshua who I think he beats easily. Think he had trouble sparring him before iirc.

That should be next 40/40 split winner gets the extra 20%. It is prize fighting the winner should get more.

Yeah balance was a factor in both. But Wilder's legs weakened rapidly after the first one. Maybe his equilibrium went.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Great performance from Fury.

For whatever reason he doesnt really want to fight Joshua who I think he beats easily. Think he had trouble sparring him before iirc.

That should be next 40/40 split winner gets the extra 20%. It is prize fighting the winner should get more.

Hope we get it. Build up would be something special. Also think Fury will only stay on the straight and narrow for a few years. So if we don't get it soon we won't get it. At least not with the Fury we saw last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    I'd doubt Wilder will want a rematch. Would like to see Wilder thrown to AJ with the winner taking on the furious one. Surely AJ would take Wilder, especially in England.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    Joshua got beat badly by a fat Mexican.

No hope against ferocious Fury

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I'd doubt Wilder will want a rematch. Would like to see Wilder thrown to AJ with the winner taking on the furious one. Surely AJ would take Wilder, especially in England.

AJ is nearly as limited a boxer as Wilder

AJ is nearly as limited a boxer as Wilder

AJ has a broader skillet than Wilder but he doesn't have half the heart, and doesn't do any one thing as well as Wilder throws that right hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Wilder's ear drum was perforated very early judging by the amount of blood coming from it. His balance was all over the place as a result.

Even in round 1 however, he didn't look like he had that fast twitch piston right hand. Maybe the extra 8 or so lbs of muscle didn't sit well on him? Hard to know.

Delighted for Fury though. He looked great and the extra weight was clearly intentional. Bullied wilder.

I think AJ gives Fury lots of problems however. Hes a far superior boxer to Wilder and whilst not as powerful, he still has great ko power.

I constantly see on this forum, suggestions of AJ ducking etc. Its absolute nonsense.

All 3 of them have their vulnerabilities in that I think all 3 have susceptible chins. Really hope we see AJ v Fury now in wembley. There was a reasonable argument for AJ previously to demand more money given he was the bigger draw but after Fury's performance last night it should be even split. Hearn already chirping this morning that it should happen next.

Advertisement